RIP 9 RDO V3 sizing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

RIP 9 RDO V3 sizing

I am looking at purchasing a new RIP 29 but there are no stocking dealers nearby. I owned a V1 in medium but that was when the came stock with a 90mm stem. I am 5 foot 10 inches, 32 cycling inseam and a +2 ape index. According to Niner's size chart that would put me back on a medium. This is much shorter in ETT and reach versus my current ride, a GG trail pistol medium. There are a few reviews out there especially Pink Bike that recommend sizing up. What are y'all's thoughts from current owners? Thanks.
    Not a MTBR legend.

Chilling out
    okay, disclaimer, I ride a RIP9RD v2, not a v3.

That out of the way, I think you should consider the large.

I ride a medium V2 and it fits my like a glove, with stock stem, bars, etc. Only fit piece I've changed is from a seatpost with setback clamp to one with zero setback.

I'm 5' 9" and disgustingly regularly proportioned. I was professionally fitted for a road bike a few years ago and apparently could be used as a reference fit for a traditional 54cm road bike. So, for me, the large would be significantly too much reach.

I think you should go for the large because a) your ape index has you needing more reach and b) the difference in stack is to me easier to overcome ... it's just more flexible between post insertion depth and so forth. For my V2 frame for example I currently have a 150mm travel dropper post and with the right one may be able to fit a 170mm dropper. I haven't had reason to put the V2 and V3 RIP9RDO side by side but it seems like that's any easy adjustment compared to reach, having the reach be more appropriate will keep your fit "inside" the bike better and your fore-aft weight balance more as intended and more under your dynamic control.

Good luck!

SPECIALizED
    I have demoed a size large V2 RIP several times. I'm 5'11"~ with the same inseam as you and long arms and torso. The large fits perfect. I actually own a large V2 JET that fits identically.

mtbr member
    Thanks y'all. Your insight is very helpful. The more I look at the numbers the more I realize the medium will just be too small.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Niners sizing would point me to a Small. I demoed a medium and can't imagine sizing down.

For reference - 5' 6". very normally proportioned at my overall height. No + ape....

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    I know Iím a little late on the subject but Iíve been eying a 2020 Rip 9 frameset and am nearly in the same height range as you. Iíve done some asking around (including Niner themselves) and Iím getting a Large for-sure if I go through route.

Their sizing chart, like you said, puts us easily into the Medium size spectrum but I think that chart needs updated.
    --------------------------
    mtxbraking.com
    Innovative ceramic brake pads for the mtb industry.