RIP 9 RDO bottom bracket height? And RIP 9 RDO vs Tallboy LTc?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

RIP 9 RDO bottom bracket height? And RIP 9 RDO vs Tallboy LTc?

Hey, all! Happy black Friday!

Just wondering if anyone had an actual number for the bottom bracket height of the RIP 9 RDO? I've looked all over and all I've been able to find is the bottom bracket drop, not the height though. I've emailed Niner asking the question and haven't gotten so much as a peep back from them. It's been about two weeks since I emailed them so I've given up hope on them. Is their customer service usually this poor? Doesn't bode well for a prospective buyer.

Also, I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, and I have done an exhaustive search, but can those that have spent time on both a RIP 9 RDO and Tallboy LTc compare and contrast the handling styles of both bikes? They appear to have very similar geometry numbers but spreadsheets only go so far in describing how a bike will feel out on the trail. I'm looking for a handling experience that provides great traction mid corner, great stability, but with a playful side that allows for popping off terrain and handling slides front and back with ease. I'm not a big jumper by any means but I like to pump terrain and pop from one trail feature to another. For frame of reference I really liked the feel of the Pivot 429c but didn't like how limiting I felt it's 100 mm of travel was.

One other question. It seems like one of the most consistent annoyances with the RIP 9 RDO is the internal cable routing rubbing the steering tube and the tabs at the exits rattling. Other than this, are there any other annoyances? How does the tightness of the pivots last over time, does the frame remain laterally stiff through the pivots over time? How durable is the paint? What are the things you would change now that you've owned it for some time and are they major things? Does the updated version of the frame really improve on the older version or does it make much difference? The frame deals out there right now for the out going version seem incredible and are so tempting.

Hoping for some help. Thanks all.

E-Moderator
    Apr 2004
    Never rode an LTC, but it was a bike I was considering. I chose the Rip9RDO because of the killer sale at backcountry & I don't regret that decision one bit. I let my brother borrow my bike for a week & he's bought one the following week.

My bike with 2.35 tires front & rear & 150mm fork comes in at 13.8" tall. With a 140mm fork an smaller tires, I'm sure the BB height is around 13.5".

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the measurement! 13.8" doesn't seem that bad. I would be using a 140 mm Pike 13.5" would probably be it. I was wondering if having the linkage actuation running below the bottom bracket would require the bottom bracket to be raised a bit for clearance issues. Also, just eyeballing the bottom bracket drop between the axles didn't look like much compared to other designs out there. I've found that I really like the feel of bikes with bottom brackets between 13.0" and 13.5". There is so much more to how a bike handles of course but it's definitely a factor.

Can you describe how the Rip 9 RDO handles in various conditions? Is it playful? Stable? Poppy? etc.

Thanks so much for your reply.

E-Moderator
    Apr 2004
    http://http://forums.mtbr.com/niner-...me-937387.htmlMy Rip9RDO IS ABOUT 3 weeks old & the build is here

Carbon & Ti rule
    The CVA suspension pedals very well & the Rip9 RDO is nice & stable.

The Rip9 RDO is a nice & stiff frame & doesn't do anything silly in it's handling.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    I test rode both. LTc at the factory with ENVE wheels and all the bells and whistles. Rip9RDO with alloy wheels and XX1 at a demo day in Marin. The Tallboy was a decent climber and good descender. It creaked like an old rocking chair. When I returned the bike, the factory rep (at the Santa Cruz HQ no less) said "yeah, they creak, you just need to maintain the linkage regularly" I would have thought that if at any place you tested a bike that was perfect and silent it would be the factory. I was wrong. The tallboy is lighter and you can feel it, but on a trail bike that sometimes results in a bike that feels too twitchy, for me at least.

The rip climbed as good, or better. I was immediately impressed with how composed the bike felt. The descent absolutely killed it for me. I followed some very experienced locals down some trails, that were definitely in the black diamond level and that I had never been on. Two were on 14' WFO's and I kept pace with them the whole way down. The bike is so stable and composed and it saved me a couple of times on boulder drops that I just did because I was following the lines of those in front of me. I ordered one the next day. I paid retail for my frame and I can not believe the deal they are going for now.

I pop off just about every feature on the trail and whip the bike whenever I get enough air. This bike jumps great for me. It rails the corners and keeps a line when I need it. In short it is very predictable and extremely capable and ultimately confidence inspiring!

My gripes with the frame so far (in no particular order):

1) I have had the main pivot linkage pre-load nut come loose twice so far. Fortunately it is a very quick fix and lasts about a few months.

2) I am not a fan of the FOX shock. I wish we could fit a DBair or a DBinline shock into the frame. I recently had the CTD shock retuned by Avalanche and this gets about as close to the DB as we are going to get. I am very satisfied with the shock now!

3) Stealth routing for the dropper would be cool to have, but my KS lev with a fixed cable takes care of the annoyance of the cable flapping around.

4) I have the black licorice one and wish they would have left more of the UD carbon visible. The contrast of the two is so minimal the bike just looks all black.

5) I sometimes wonder if shorter chainstays would help or hurt this bike? That Specialized Enduro has a chainstay that is 20mm shorter and it is a pretty awesome bike to ride as well. I can't get behind that company though, so that is not an option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thank you for this great feedback!

One of the big concerns I have about purchasing this bike is that I've not had the opportunity to demo it or any Niner before. I've ridden the Tallboy LTc before along with several other Santa Cruz bikes (even owning a short travel VP Free which is still one my favorites). I've got some knowledge about the Santa Cruz feel. The most recent bike I test rode was the Pivot 429c size medium, which geometry wise comes pretty close to both the LTc in large and the Rip 9 RDO in medium. The only number that really concerns me is the reach, which for both the 429c and LTc is 16.3, while the Rip 9 RDO is 16.1. It only equates to about 5 mm but I remember thinking to myself that I wouldn't want to go any shorter when I was demoing the 429c over two days and 40 miles. The 429c also had 70 mm stem for reference. Any thoughts on the size?

I'm 5'11', 32" inseam, 175 lbs.

Carbon & Ti rule
    What seat height do you run ?

The top part of the seat tube lays back quite a bit & if you run a high seat height it makes the cock pit longer.

At your height you would be fine on either Med or Lge.

Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
    Thank you for this great feedback!

One of the big concerns I have about purchasing this bike is that I've not had the opportunity to demo it or any Niner before. I've ridden the Tallboy LTc before along with several other Santa Cruz bikes (even owning a short travel VP Free which is still one my favorites). I've got some knowledge about the Santa Cruz feel. The most recent bike I test rode was the Pivot 429c size medium, which geometry wise comes pretty close to both the LTc in large and the Rip 9 RDO in medium. The only number that really concerns me is the reach, which for both the 429c and LTc is 16.3, while the Rip 9 RDO is 16.1. It only equates to about 5 mm but I remember thinking to myself that I wouldn't want to go any shorter when I was demoing the 429c over two days and 40 miles. The 429c also had 70 mm stem for reference. Any thoughts on the size?

I'm 5'11', 32" inseam, 175 lbs.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I think seated climbing would probably be fairly close to bikes I've been riding of late. I'm wondering though once I'm out of the saddle moving around on the bike if I'll feel like I'm too much over the front of the bike or that the balance sweet spot might feel a little narrow. I just sold two Turner 5 Spots both size large, an '08 and an '11. Liked both bikes but the '08 always felt like it had a broader handling sweet spot. I could always hop on that bike and just rip. The '11 felt like I had to be pin point accurate with weight distribution at all times or I would end up feeling off balance or loose traction at the front or back. I experiment with various stems, handlebars, and set up variations but could never get it to feel fool proof. The top tube of the '08 was 23.9" with what I believe was a 68 degree head angle. The '11 had a top tube of 23.6" and a 67.7 degree head angle. I never knew what the reach for of the '08 bike but the '11 was 16" and it just always felt like the balance point on the '11 5 Spot was just way too narrow. When you got it right the experience was magical but it was just way too inconsistent, either due to operator error/variation or due to slight changes in setup with fork/shock pressures or tire pressures. I believe that the wheel bases of both Turners was at least 45". I know this could never be a direct comparison as the Turners were 26" wheel bikes vs the Niner 29ers but its the best explanation I can give for what I've experienced and what I'm hoping to find.

My daily ride right now is a Pivot Les size medium with a reach of 16.29 and I feel really well balanced on it. Much better, more forgiving, experience when it comes to applying pressure to the front or rear contact patches.

E-Moderator
    Apr 2004
    Unfortunately Leprichaun, it sounds like you of all people need to demo a bike before purchasing. All the bikes you mentioned are the best out there & I doubt you could go wrong with any of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
    I think seated climbing would probably be fairly close to bikes I've been riding of late. I'm wondering though once I'm out of the saddle moving around on the bike if I'll feel like I'm too much over the front of the bike or that the balance sweet spot might feel a little narrow. I just sold two Turner 5 Spots both size large, an '08 and an '11. Liked both bikes but the '08 always felt like it had a broader handling sweet spot. I could always hop on that bike and just rip. The '11 felt like I had to be pin point accurate with weight distribution at all times or I would end up feeling off balance or loose traction at the front or back. I experiment with various stems, handlebars, and set up variations but could never get it to feel fool proof. The top tube of the '08 was 23.9" with what I believe was a 68 degree head angle. The '11 had a top tube of 23.6" and a 67.7 degree head angle. I never knew what the reach for of the '08 bike but the '11 was 16" and it just always felt like the balance point on the '11 5 Spot was just way too narrow. When you got it right the experience was magical but it was just way too inconsistent, either due to operator error/variation or due to slight changes in setup with fork/shock pressures or tire pressures. I believe that the wheel bases of both Turners was at least 45". I know this could never be a direct comparison as the Turners were 26" wheel bikes vs the Niner 29ers but its the best explanation I can give for what I've experienced and what I'm hoping to find.

My daily ride right now is a Pivot Les size medium with a reach of 16.29 and I feel really well balanced on it. Much better, more forgiving, experience when it comes to applying pressure to the front or rear contact patches.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have spent time on both. What I took away was the climbing was much better on the LTc than on the Niner. Weight was easily felt as well with the Tallboy feeling lighter (as Oaklandish also attested to). I personally like the twitchiness of a bike because I want the bike to respond immediately. I felt the Niner tended to have the bob/bounciness in climbing, where I didn't feel this in the Tallboy LTc. I personally don't have an axe to grind with either bikes so I'm not trying to be biased. The LTc had the XTR triple on it with Easton wheels and the RIP 9 RDO had the XX1 on it, both had dropper posts.

I felt that both bikes felt fitted for me perfectly, I am 5'10 and was on a Large LTc and a Medium Rip 9. The Tallboy had no creaking on it as "Oaklandish" reported on his ride. The Tallboy I spend time on was an older yellow carbon frame. Interestingly, I asked the Niner rep about the bobbing I noticed on climbing and thought maybe it was not set up well. The Niner rep told me that the Rip 9 RDO does bob on the pedaling (He said this is normal) and this is the give and take between it and the Jet 9 RDO (which doesn't bob on climbs).

For me I liked the LTc because it seemed to perform noticeably better when climbing, no pedal feedback (bike also felt lighter) and I like the quick response of the bike. The Tallboy had the Fox 34 on it, I think a Fox 36 or Pike would be so much better. The Rip 9 RDO had pike and it was very noticeably better compared to the Fox 34, but that is not negative towards the bikes compared. Going downhill, I felt that both bike really killed it. They ate up anything in their sight it was very nice. On the downhills I felt the Niner to be a bit plusher, it did have a Rockshox rear shock and the Tallboy had a fox on it. I think SC should rid themselves of the Fox rear shock and go with the CK rear shock, but that is my opinion. So there you have my opinion but it may be different from others. Get on a Rip 9 RDO for yourself and see what your opinions are and share them with us. Let us know what you go with and why. Peace....

mtbr member
    ^ curious about the rock shox rear shock on the Rip9RDO. Was this a friend's bike who changed it out, or does Niner offer this as an option now?

E-Moderator
    Apr 2004

RIP 9 RDO bottom bracket height? And RIP 9 RDO vs Tallboy LTc?

Bottom line is all the bikes have their own strengths & negatives & every rider has their own preferences. I've seen people not like certain items on every bike you mentioned.
    I personally believe this is one of the best climbing bike I've ridden & I've ridden many bikes.
    FSR design I thought was to active & needed a strong platform shock
    Single pivot I thought had a lot of pedal feed back when climbing, bobbing & brakes stiffening up on DH, but with that said one of my favorite bikes was a SC Bullit.
    VPP version 1 the pedal platform was too stiff which equalled in pedal feedback when climbing & downhilling & pedaling hard the suspension was to stiff.
    DW by Ibis in my opinion is about perfect & I rate DW & CVA my favorite designs out there.

But talk to another person & I'm sure their opinion would be totally different.