Thread: RIP 9 Owners

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

RIP 9 Owners

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new RIP 9 through my LBS. If there was one area/ component where you wish you had paid more attention to. What would it have been. Is there anything I should consider before I cut it loose. Thanks for your help!

banned
    Sep 2007
    Build it yourself. Pay attention to cranks /ring gear combinations, 2 or 3 ring gears and driveline offset being correct. If in doubt or you don't know, ask Niner for recommendations or check their online site for requirements for the build.

Wheels... spend the money and get good components. Hope Pro II Hub based, Hadley based, I9's, Kings for the hubs. I've never run them, because I picked up a used Hadley wheel set with Sun Rhyno lites and tires from a racer for $200 in the off season, but many here would recommend Stan's Flows. I happen to feel that the hoops are way overpriced, at least for my style of riding and weight.

Run Through axles, 10mm rear, and 20mm front. I don't understand the 15mm through axle system that Fox runs. I went with a Manitou Minute 120mm with the 20mm through axle. Simply amazing, having that over a even a 9mm throughaxle system on my older Hadley front hub in a QR fork. A good stiff fork lets you ride fairly fast without worries about having to micro correct your steering or your line, due to flex in the fork/wheel juncture.

I've ridden wheels now with both DT Swiss Competition 2.0 1.8mm spokes and straight Champion 2.0mm spokes. I prefer the straight gauge Champion spokes with my Rhyno Lite rims. They tend to flex less laterally under my weight in turns or the numerous G outs we have on single track around here in tight little canyons.
    I run a lighter set of wheels for epic rides... based on DT Swiss 440 hubs and Salsa Delgado rims. It does make a difference when riding 40 to 55 mile rides in a day, carves less on the legs on the climbs. I will also run lighter tires on longer ride days also. Time in the saddle magnifies the weight of rotating mass you are accelerating over more cycles. The legs appreciate it more at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Boyonabyke; 08-02-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Carbon & Ti rule

Dig deep & spend.

I won't have my Rip9 for another week but have been riding my Jet9 for a while now ,It has helped me pick my Rip build.

I have always been 1 to build super light weight bikes, but even though my Jet is light When i'm riding my Jet9 I spend alot of time thinking about the amount of load this bike can generate through corners & even how hard I push it through the rough,This bike needs to be built with strong parts in mind.

I have a set of ( Stans Flow wheels) & a set of ( Stans Arch wheels )I was thinking that I would use the lighter wheels most of the time but tend to pick the stronger wheels first.

So my thoughts, Build the bike the way you would if you were a 20% better rider because from all I have read & knowing how the Jet rides that will be were the RIP will take you.

1/
    Fox F29 Tappered steerer fork with 15mm TA
    2/
    Spend big on a strong wheel set.

3/
    A good light crank set.

4/
    Gravity dropper type seat post.

5/
    Good brakes ( yes I would put the other items ahead of good brakes ) because most brakes are ok & will help the bike abit but won't change the bike lots.

All the other bits is more down to what you like & may change over the time you own the bike any way.

So this is the parts I have got for my Rip to build as soon as it gets here ( It is on its way )

Im 6 foot 177lb been riding for 5 years
    Build:
    Large Tang Rip9 with 12mm Maxle axle rear.

Shimano XTR 180mm cranks 09.
    Gravity Dropper 4 Inch Multi seat post
    FSA OS99 stem 100mm
    FSA K force XC carbon Raiser bar 640mm wide
    Sram XO triggers
    Avid Elixir CR 203 F& 185R brakes
    Avid matchmaker
    Sram 990 cassette 11-34
    Sram XO rear mech
    Shimano XTR front mech
    KMC chain ( Gold Ano )
    OTA Alloy cables ( Gold Ano )

Wheels (Gold Hope 2 hubs, Siliver spokes) laced to Stan's Arch hoops with Maxxis cross+mark 2.1 tyres setup tubeless with yellow tape and valve

2nd set of wheels (Gold Hope 2 hubs, Siliver spokes) laced to Stan's Flow hoops with
    Maxxis Igniter tires setup tubeless with yellow tape and valve
    Saddle -SLR XC Kevlar
    Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals
    Fork 2010 Tapper steerer Fox F29 RLC 120mm with 15mm T/A

29 lb Approx
    Last edited by muzzanic; 08-01-2009 at 01:04 AM.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Biggest thing to me is a really good, hand built set of wheels, something in the $500-600 ball park like Hope Pro2s hubs, laced to Stans Flow rims is the minumum I'd look at and is exactly what I ride. If you will only be riding this bike on trails also consider building the rear up on an SS hub and using 6 or 7 cogs on there, thereby getting a dishless wheel - this is what I have on mine, works really well, don't need anything more.

Parts wise, I'm an XT kind of guy, think that it offers excellent value for performance and you don't feel so bad when you have to replace a broken part like an RD - they always got knocked/snapped off.

Definitely get a thru axle fork, either the Fox 15mm or the new Marz. Also seriously consider the 12mm drop out option for the rear - I wouldn't build it with the standard slotted drop out.

Brakes wise I'd say if you're realy going to build and ride the RIP9 to its potential throw a 185mm rotor up front, bigger if you're a bigger guy - max geared I'm 190lbs. Actual brakes wise I'm partial to Hopes, but they're other good ones out there - I like the Hopes for how easy they are to service, plus they work well.

Adjustable seat post if you have a lot of ups and downs where you need to lower the saddle a lot, if however you lower the saddle twice during a ride I don't think it's worth the $$, spend it on better wheels, brakes, cranks.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    I won't have my Rip9 for another week but have been riding my Jet9 for a while now ,It has helped me pick my Rip build.

I have always been 1 to build super light weight bikes, but even though my Jet is light When i'm riding my Jet9 I spend alot of time thinking about the amount of load this bike can generate through corners & even how hard I push it through the rough,This bike needs to be built with strong parts in mind.

I had a set of ( Stans Flow wheels) & a set of ( Stans Arch wheels ) thinking that I would use the lighter wheels most of the time but tend to pick the stronger wheels first.

So my thoughts, Build the bike the way you would if you were a 20% better rider because from all I have read & knowing how the Jet rides that will be were the RIP will take you.

1/
    Fox F29 Tappered steerer fork with 15mm TA
    2/
    Spend big on a strong wheel set.

3/
    A good light crank set.

4/
    Gravity dropper type seat post.

5/
    Good brakes ( yes I would put the other items ahead of good brakes ) because most brakes are ok & will help the bike abit but won't change the bike lots.

All the other bits is more down to what you like & may change over the time you own the bike any way.

So this is the parts I have got for my Rip to build as soon as it gets here ( It is on its way )

Im 6 foot 177lb been riding for 5 years
    Build:
    Large Tang Rip9 with 12mm Maxle axle rear.

Shimano XTR 180mm cranks 09.
    Gravity Dropper 4 Inch Multi seat post
    FSA OS99 stem 100mm
    FSA K force XC carbon Raiser bar 640mm wide
    Sram XO triggers
    Avid Elixir CR 203 F& 185R brakes
    Avid matchmaker
    Sram 990 cassette 11-34
    Sram XO rear mech
    Shimano XTR front mech
    KMC chain ( Gold Ano )
    OTA Alloy cables ( Gold Ano )

Wheels (Gold Hope 2 hubs, Siliver spokes) laced to Stan's Arch hoops with Maxxis cross+mark 2.1 tyres setup tubeless with yellow tape and valve

2nd set of wheels (Gold Hope 2 hubs, Siliver spokes) laced to Stan's Flow hoops with
    Maxxis Igniter tires setup tubeless with yellow tape and valve
    Saddle -SLR XC Kevlar
    Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals
    Fork 2010 Tapper steerer Fox F29 RLC 120mm with 15mm T/A

29 lb Approx

Thanks for the information.....does Hope make the Pro II in a 15QR Compatabile?

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004

the beauty of Hope Pro II front hub

Quote Originally Posted by Motolite_Mofo
    Thanks for the information.....does Hope make the Pro II in a 15QR Compatabile?
    Is that you can buy the adapters for every type of front axle out there! QR/15mm/20mm. I probably won't own any other front hub again. (This coming from a guy who swears by Chris King hubs)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Pulled the Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Cmoorejr
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new RIP 9 through my LBS. If there was one area/ component where you wish you had paid more attention to. What would it have been. Is there anything I should consider before I cut it loose. Thanks for your help!

All right guy’s….

I too gulped the kool-aid and bought the RIP 9. Thanks to everyone for their input….it went a long way. I should have it in a couple of weeks and will post pics when it arrives. Here’s the build….thanks again!

RIP 9 Large RAW (Yea baby!!!!)
    Fox 32 RL, tapered steerer, Black, 120mm 15QR
    XT Drivetrain (Everything)
    Formula K24 Brakes (185f & 185r)
    Stans ZTR Flow 29er & Hope Pro 2’s
    RaceFace Cockpit
    Conti Mountain King 2.4’s

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ditch the formula k24's. they don't interface well with some of the shimano shifters.

some people, including me are unable to get the brake lever and the shifters in the correct position.

The formula f1's don't have this problem.

the oro's work well with sram shifters.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=526879

The Other Dude
    all these new RIP builds really have me wanting to put my super fast Jet9 up for sale and take the plunge on the RIP! I cant decide between the black ano, and the sick Tang color....but the black ano is the same color as my Jet......the wife may not notice!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    all these new RIP builds really have me wanting to put my super fast Jet9 up for sale and take the plunge on the RIP! I cant decide between the black ano, and the sick Tang color....but the black ano is the same color as my Jet......the wife may not notice!

I will let you know in a week how my Rip9 rides (should be here Tuesday ) & how much different it is from my Jet9,They will be set up much the same.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

The Other Dude
    Great! I cant wait to read your review since you will have actually had some saddle time on the Jet compare it to. I am really going back and forth between the the new 2010 Stumpy 29er fsr with 120mm of travel, or just selling my Jet frame and fork on ebay or the classifieds here and ordering a new RIP frame and fork, let me know!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I too am looking forward to your comparison - love my Jet, but worry (slightly) about the breakage reports (no probs myself, though).

What sort of terrain do you ride?

Nix

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Ride on

Quote Originally Posted by Cmoorejr
    My JET 9 is collecting dust ths summer. I prefer my 26" bike for most of the riding I do. See if you like 29ers before pulling the triggers.

Jaybo

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    My JET 9 is collecting dust ths summer. I prefer my 26" bike for most of the riding I do. See if you like 29ers before pulling the triggers.

Jaybo
    Mybe you should sell your Jet9 if in fact you have one

Having you move back to the 26" camp would have the nett affect of raising the IQ of both camps
    Last edited by muzzanic; 08-02-2009 at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Mybe you should sell your Jet9 if in fact you have one

Having you move back to the 26" camp would have the nett affect of razing the IQ of both camps
    Presume you meant "raising" (which means lifting), not "razing" (which means demolishing) - or was that a freudian slip?

Nix

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Please post some pics soon. I'd say get those wheels built by a good wheelbuilder, if you have the chance. I saw a raw one today- looks really nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    In order of importance for me.
    Solid wheels built by someone who knows what they are doing are important on 29ers. I like the Flow rim wheels built by Mikesee a lot. I using them tubeless and it has been trouble free.

I had some machine built Delgado disk wheels a few years ago and they were crap in the stiffness department. I don't think the hubs are very important as long as they don't let you down. I like the two wheelset idea to cover both the light and strong bases but I'm also hearing people endorse Edge carbon rims that are both strong and light. Unfortunately they are also $750, each. I'd start with one strong wheelset.

Thru axle 120mm front fork without question but I don't think 15mm v. 20mm is significant if you like Fox more than RS or Manitou.

Strong Brakes are critical on a fast bike, at 175lbs I really like the power and feel of my Elixir Cr brakes worlds more than the Formula K24's I had previously. With both I've run a 185mm rotor in the front, 160mm seems fine for the rear.

Gravity Dropper style post.

The right tires are important and I subscribe to the bigger is better camp. I've been really happy with a Rampage front and Ardent rear but have heard good things about the Ardent as a front too.

I really like having 30/20 front gearing.

I have a DT thru bolt rear and didn't think it was that different from a Qr but I still like the idea. If I was building from scratch I'd go with the Maxle rear end.

Not Rip specific but I also am sold on a 28" wide carbon dh bar with ESI grips.
    2 wheels

Carbon & Ti rule
    Well I just got back from a ride that I have been riding my Jet9 at least once a week for the last 4 months.

So here goes,The Rip is a very good solid riding bike & is speced very much the same as my Jet9.

My thoughts: The Rip9 will out climb the Jet9,You can't feel any differance in weight between the 2 bikes on the trail but with the Rip9 the bottom bracket is so solid that you can feel all the power going to the rear wheel & not being soaked up with bottom bracket flex.The exta travel didn't seem to soak up any more power than on the Jet9.

As for the handling between the 2 bikes the Rip9 is solid & does every thing right.
    My Jet9 has been set up with a 100mm fork ( 15mm TA ) so has a slacker head angle than the Rip9 with the 120mm fork (approx half a deg ) so turn in much the same,How much better did it handle than the Jet9?

Well a bit but I would say that the there was a bigger differance changing the Jet9 from 100mm Manitou QR fork & cheap DT Swiss wheels to a Fox F29 RLC Fit 100mm with 15mm TA & Stans Flow rims with Hope Pro 2 hubs & DT Swiss spokes than the differance between the up graded Jet9 & The 09 Rip9.

I will add more info when I have time but will answer any questions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Well I just got back from a ride that I have been riding my Jet9 at least once a week for the last 4 months.

So here goes,The Rip is a very good solid riding bike & is speced very much the same as my Jet9.

My thoughts: The Rip9 will out climb the Jet9,You can't feel any differance in weight between the 2 bikes on the trail but with the Rip9 the bottom bracket is so solid that you can feel all the power going to the rear wheel & not being soaked up with bottom bracket flex.The exta travel didn't seem to soak up any more power than on the Jet9.

As for the handling between the 2 bikes the Rip9 is solid & does every thing right.
    My Jet9 has been set up with a 100mm fork ( 15mm TA ) so has a slacker head angle than the Rip9 with the 120mm fork (approx half a deg ) so turn in much the same,How much better did it handle than the Jet9?

Well a bit but I would say that the there was a bigger differance changing the Jet9 from 100mm Manitou QR fork & cheap DT Swiss wheels to a Fox F29 RLC Fit 100mm with 15mm TA & Stans Flow rims with Hope Pro 2 hubs & DT Swiss spokes than the differance between the up graded Jet9 & The 09 Rip9.

I will add more info when I have time but will answer any questions.
    That is good to hear. I am replacing my Jet for a RIP due to my girth. I was worried that the RIP would be too heavy duty to stay with my buds on fast xc rides.

Carbon & Ti rule

Rip vs Jet

Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316
    That is good to hear. I am replacing my Jet for a RIP due to my girth. I was worried that the RIP would be too heavy duty to stay with my buds on fast xc rides.
    No need to worry in my mind there is no question a bigger person will be faster even on XC tracks on the 09 rip9.

I would say anyone 180 lb & up anything that the Jet did do better would be more than offset by the things the Rip did better.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 08-18-2009 at 02:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    the wife may not notice.....heh heh.... we are all the same....

my problem is (was) I went with white stans flow rims which are a little different than the black 829's on my prophet !

But then I sold my motorcycle so all is well...
    R.I.P 26ers....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

... and if we just ... first ride report

(climbing in the alps is a bit more of a challenge though !!!)
    R.I.P 26ers....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

first pic (not final build)

had to cannialise parts from my Gemini to get my first ride in....
    still wating for hope Tech brakes, Specialized BG saddle (white!!), xt shifters & bit more red bling....
    R.I.P 26ers....

Members who have read this thread: 0