Question on pivot bolts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Question on pivot bolts

I'm a noob on working on bikes but mechanical so please go easy on me for using incorrect terms. I recently purchased a new Jet9 complete bike. Decided to ride it a couple times before maintenance. It developed a creak from the suspension on 2nd ride. I took all the pivot point bolts out and no lube whatsoever. Also none of them had any locktight except one, which looked like it had a whole bottle on it. Do you guys use a little locktight? Blue/light strength?
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Grease on the outside of sealed bearings collect dirt. You want a very light coating on the contact faces but that's it. A drop of loctite on the threads should be fine. I prefer to grease threads lightly because it helps them get to the correct torque. If you don't have light grease on the threads then they can bind up and read falsely high. Clean all the old loctite of before applying new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl View Post
    Grease on the outside of sealed bearings collect dirt. You want a very light coating on the contact faces but that's it. A drop of loctite on the threads should be fine. I prefer to grease threads lightly because it helps them get to the correct torque. If you don't have light grease on the threads then they can bind up and read falsely high. Clean all the old loctite of before applying new.
    Just what I needed to hear. Thanks!