Question about building a Niner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Question about building a Niner

A buddy of mine recently bought a Niner Jet9 direct from Niner's website.

Since I have tools and am more comfortable working on the bikes he's asked me to help him build it.

Does anyone have experiences they can share buying direct from Niner with how the bike comes? Are the frames already put together? Do the headset and BB need to be installed? Will any of the cable routing be done (first time with Internal routing for me)?

Just wondering how long of a night I have in front of me and what, if any, special tools I'll need.

I can't find jack S*%& on their website.

Chilling out
    I know from when I got my bike (2017 RIP9 RDO, 3 Star XT) via my LBS how they arrive (saw the box contents before assembly).

The frame is assembled ( front-rear triangles mated and shock mounted ), however the headset and BB will need to be installed. The B is a standard threaded one so no big issue there so long as you have the tools but the headset should be pressed in with someone with the correct tools.

Rims came taped, but the valves had to be pushed through, tires went on tubeless w/o any hassle.

Brakeset (Shimano XT8000 for me) came OEM style (not retail box style), the lever and hose/caliper in separate wrappings ... but both the lever and the hose/caliper are fluid filled. If you're diligent when removing covers they are trivial to bolt together and not need to bleed (once assembled on the bike popping the bleed screw out of the reservoir and tapping any air out and maybe adding a drop or two of oil is optional but you may want to do). The olive/barb are included for both, but not 2nd spares. So measure-twice cut-once. ;^)

Running the cables internally through the frame didn't appear a huge deal, there were sleeves installed in the frame so you just run the cable through first, and then back-feed the housing around that. I'd suggest mating up the frame filler plugs before you do so, so that you know which 'holes' to punch through in each plug.

FYI, I actually got tired of my dropper cable running under the top tube, recently, and re-ran it through one of the unused ports in the rubber frame grommets on the drive side, bringing it out just above the BB (like the rear-d cable), and then ran it up along the seat tube to the fixing point on the post. I don't have an internally connected dropper and don't want one as it seems like way too much hassle from a maintenance point of view, but this half-n-half solution seems great. A post with a fixed cable point (like a KS Lev) would be ideal, but it still is okay with my KS Dropzone that came with the bike - I just made sure that there was enough housing slack that when dropped the extra loop stays between the rear-d housing and the frame/shock, instead of bending away towards the cranks. No problems.

Pretty much everything else is a no-brainer I think for anyone with bike work experience.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Awesome thanks for the intel!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    By buying direct from Niner to you get the same price as a dealer would?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    By buying direct from Niner to you get the same price as a dealer would?
    No. In fact, I think OP may be mistaken. They will not sell a bike directly to any person via their website. Maybe OP's friend bought it from Jenson or CC?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Nope, he definitely got it direct from Niner. He's in the industry...kind of.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Not to hijack the thread but, .. if Niner adverises on their site a bike for $4799 is that MSRP? And about how much would a dealer pay for a $4799 bike from Niner?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The side of the box says all you need to build the bike is like a screw driver and a few allen keys.

It was totally fresh. The shock was installed but nothing else. No BB or Headset. No cables run. I don't understand how you build the bike with only those tools. A little misleading.

So there's my answer.