No Niner air 9 love- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

No Niner air 9 love

I can't find anything about the Niner Air 9... Love this build on the Jenson site, and you can't beat the price.. https://www.jensonusa.com/Niner-Air-...LX-Jenson-Bike

Can someone tell me why no one is talking about this bike? How does the geo compare to other trail hard tails?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I've had an Air 9 for a few months (custom build from the frame up.) I've had a few 29'er "trail hardtails" (Banshee, Transition, Canfield - I'm a sucker for a nice hardtail) and I wouldn't call the Air 9 a "trail hardtail." The 120mm travel fork, 68 degree HA, short-ish reach, higher BB, long-ish chainstays, and tall stack aren't really "trail." The others I've owned were 130mm to 140mm fork travel, between about 66 and 67 degree HA, had shorter chainstays, and lower BB heights. More "huckable" than the Air.

From a handling/geometry perspective, it falls in a weird gray area between XC and "trail." I've built it up both 27.5+ and 29, and it seemed to handle better as a 29'er. What I like the most about it is probably the tire clearance. I'm running a set of Ibis 938 wheels (34mm internal) with a 2.5 Minion up front and a 2.4 Rekon out back and there is clearance (and grip) to spare. Nice frame, decently priced. I do think the Timberjack has a bit better geometry numbers if you're looking for a "trail" 29'er HT (and costs about $250 less for frame only.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Great advice, thank you!