Niner Warranty Replacement - Dilemma- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Niner Warranty Replacement - Dilemma

Long Story (Jump to Cliffnotes if you dont care):
    Have a 2014-2015 (?) Rip 9 Aluminum frame that I bought new in 2016 from a now gone online shop and built up. Rode the bike for approx 2000 miles when I noticed a crack on the top tube near the headset. Must of rode it like that for a while since I didnt crash or hear any noises from the bike. Drop the bike off at my Niner dealer and said he will call me when he hears back.

While searching eBay, find a like-new Rip 9 Aluminum frame (exactly like mine) and pick it up for $400 and get it built up with broken bike parts.

4 weeks later, I call the LBS and said they didnt hear anything from Niner so they had to escalate. 2 days later they get Niner to respond with the following options. 2019 Jet 9 Alloy complete bike or 2019 Jet 9 RDO frame only. Both would include me bringing $1400 to the table.

Here are my thoughts on the offer:
    Jet 9 Aluminum - Its a 2 Star Build so its not the component set I would normally run (SRAM NX) and lower spec Fox 34 fork. Rest of the bike isnt bad. pretty similar to my Rip 9.
    Jet 9 RDO Frame - CARBON!! Require a complete build out since almost nothing from current Rip 9 transfers over. Need Boost Wheels, Boost Fork, Boost Drivetrain. Between $1400 for the frame and another $1500-2K for build it would get me towards what I want but outside my budget.

Options on selling:
    - Buy the Jet 9 complete bike and resell. Put money in my pocket. Keep the Rip 9 and ride bike without a warranty.
    - Buy the Jet 9. Sell the Rip 9. Put money into modifying Jet 9 to my liking.
    - Buy the Jet 9. Sell both Rip 9 and Jet 9. Put money towards new bike purchase and probably wont be a Niner.

Cliffnotes:
    Cracked Niner frame. Only purchased frame. Getting "credit" off of either:
    - Jet 9 Aluminum 2star build
    - Jet 9 RDO frame only
    Require bringing $1400 to offset purchase
    Have another Rip 9 complete bike - Keep, sell?
    Buy and resell the Jet 9? Or keep the Jet 9 and sell the Rip 9
    Buy the Jet 9 RDO and spend alot to build up?

Input on Jet 9 Aluminum 2-star build, equal to a older Rip 9?

[UPDATE: Niner ended providing Jet 9 RDO frame only, free-of-charge]
    Last edited by OttaCee; 10-24-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    I'm missing something here, why can't Niner replace your frame with something that's considered equivalent at no cost to you or are you asking for credit towards a complete bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    I'm missing something here, why can't Niner replace your frame with something that's considered equivalent at no cost to you or are you asking for credit towards a complete bike?
    Asked that question. Currently Niner doesnt offer a Rip 9 Aluminum anymore (complete or frame only). Their offer was credit towards complete bike.

Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
    Asked that question. Currently Niner doesnt offer a Rip 9 Aluminum anymore (complete or frame only). Their offer was credit towards complete bike.
    Then aren't they obliged to replace it with whatever would be the next closest thing to the frame you bought? They're offering you a credit towards a complete bike, which maybe good deal if you're looking for that, but if not I don't think you have to accept their offer and can insist they replace just the frame at no cost to you.

mtbr member
    Then aren't they obliged to replace it with whatever would be the next closest thing to the frame you bought? They're offering you a credit towards a complete bike, which maybe good deal if you're looking for that, but if not I don't think you have to accept their offer and can insist they replace just the frame at no cost to you.
    The next closest thing to my 140/125mm Rip 9 is the 130/120mm Jet 9. But they dont offer Jet 9 aluminum frame, only complete bike. The only frame only option is the Jet 9 RDO but they want $1400 for a $3000 retail frame.

Problem with just a frame only option (free or out-of-pocket) is nothing from my non-boost bike will transfer over. Require new wheels, fork, drivetrain for boost.

If I was Niner and wanted to keep someone in the brand, provide me a Jet 9 frame no-cost. Other manufactures ive dealt with will give the next best alternative without paying anything.
    Last edited by OttaCee; 10-22-2018 at 07:58 AM.

The next closest thing to my 140/125mm Rip 9 is the 130/120mm Jet 9. But they dont offer Jet 9 aluminum frame, only complete bike. The only frame only option is the Jet 9 RDO but they want $1400 for a $3000 retail frame.

Problem with just a frame only option (free or out-of-pocket) is nothing from my non-boost bike will transfer over. Require new wheels, fork, drivetrain for boost.

If I was Niner, just give me a Jet 9 RDO frame no-cost. Other manufactures ive dealt with will give the next best alternative.
    Agree, this is what Niner should offer as the default and I'm kind of surprised they aren't doing so. If you want to work a deal to get a complete bike, because most of your existing components won't fit the new frame, then its reasonable to pay additional.

Honestly, if I was in your shoes, I'd push Niner to give you a warranty replacement Jet 9 RDO frame for free and then at least you are free to choose the parts you want to build it up, or just sell off the frame if you prefer.

Also, just an observation... You'd don't really need to upgrade the whole bike to boost if you went with the current Jet 9 RDO. I was in the same boat when I got a warranty replacement of an older Jet 9 RDO frame with a RKT 9 RDO frame. Basically the only part I had to upgrade was the hub for the rear wheel, since the RKT frame rear spacing is boost. The regular fork and non-boost front wheel was fine, as was the non-boost drivetrain. Technically the chainline is off by 3mm, but it hasn't caused me any issues.

mtbr member
    Was able to transfer most of my parts from my old bike to the Jet 9 RDO I built out few months ago (Sram GX 11 speed, XO cranks and non-boost Pike 140).

Three things I had to do was have rear wheel re-built out with boost hub ($200 Hope Pro 4 hub and $100 for build), buy boost offset front chain ring (3mm vs 6mm) and get a new longer chain.

I say if you have nice parts that are in good/great shape (fork, drive train, dropper ect...) on your current RIP then go for the RDO carbon frame set and transfer the parts over if you can.

Looking at the 2 Star Jet aluminum build, this looks like a fairly nice build. Have a little time on a aluminum Jet the only difference is the weight (1 poundish heavier), it is just as stiff. Nothing wrong with NX drive train, put one on friends bike few months ago and shifts and performs nicely. Also the FOX 34 Float Rhythm is a decent fork, know two experienced riders running them with no complaints at all. Many of these new "lower" spec parts are sometimes better then "higher" spec parts from 3 to 4 years back.

mtbr member
    Also, just an observation... You'd don't really need to upgrade the whole bike to boost if you went with the current Jet 9 RDO. I was in the same boat when I got a warranty replacement of an older Jet 9 RDO frame with a RKT 9 RDO frame. Basically the only part I had to upgrade was the hub for the rear wheel, since the RKT frame rear spacing is boost. The regular fork and non-boost front wheel was fine, as was the non-boost drivetrain. Technically the chainline is off by 3mm, but it hasn't caused me any issues.
    Interesting. So would be $1400 for the frame, plus $300+/- new boost hub build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Was able to transfer most of my parts from my old bike to the Jet 9 RDO I built out few months ago (Sram GX 11 speed, XO cranks and non-boost Pike 140).

Three things I had to do was have rear wheel re-built out with boost hub ($200 Hope Pro 4 hub and $100 for build), buy boost offset front chain ring (3mm vs 6mm) and get a new longer chain.

I say if you have nice parts that are in good/great shape (fork, drive train, dropper ect...) on your current RIP then go for the RDO carbon frame set and transfer the parts over if you can.

Looking at the 2 Star Jet aluminum build, this looks like a fairly nice build. Have a little time on a aluminum Jet the only difference is the weight (1 poundish heavier), it is just as stiff. Nothing wrong with NX drive train, put one on friends bike few months ago and shifts and performs nicely. Also the FOX 34 Float Rhythm is a decent fork, know two experienced riders running them with no complaints at all. Many of these new "lower" spec parts are sometimes better then "higher" spec parts from 3 to 4 years back.
    While I really like that 2 star Jet 9 Aluminum, if Niner took care of their customers the right way, would of given me just the frame for this bike at no-cost. I feel like im paying $1400 for a NX groupset, Fox 34 Rhythm fork, and Niner branded boost wheels. If I was given a free frame, im paying $300 for a rear boost wheel or hub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Not sure what hubs you're running now, but you can purchase boost adapters for many of the popular ones. They consist of new endcaps and a rotor spacer; a bit crude, but I haven't heard of anybody having issues. There are also generic spacers you can buy on eBay, but makes it a pain if you take your rear wheel off often. Adapters also require redishing the wheel, but that is pretty simple.

mtbr member
    Then aren't they obliged to replace it with whatever would be the next closest thing to the frame you bought?
    100% what should be done. If Niner doesn't do this then there's no way I'm spending more money with them.

It's not worth the trouble of buying a Jet frame for $1400 when new frames are selling for $1500 from Jenson and Competitive Cyclist.

If you really liked the bike, build up the eBay frame. But no way I'd support a brand that required me to spend $1400 on a warranty issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by larry08 View Post
    Not sure what hubs you're running now, but you can purchase boost adapters for many of the popular ones. They consist of new endcaps and a rotor spacer; a bit crude, but I haven't heard of anybody having issues. There are also generic spacers you can buy on eBay, but makes it a pain if you take your rear wheel off often. Adapters also require redishing the wheel, but that is pretty simple.
    I was going to suggest this as well. Most popular hub brands have boost adapters available (DT, Hope, etc). The adapters are usually aftermarket endcaps (Wolftooth and MRP make some).

I updated some DT 350 wheels earlier this season. I used the MRP front kit - adds a 5mm endcap to each side and rotor spacer to the front, no re-dishing required. Used a WolfTooth kit on the rear - adds a 10mm endcap to the non-drive side, a 5mm disk spacer, and re-dishing is required (you could run the wheel off-center, but no good reason to do that).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    2 year old frame that cracked after only a couple thousand miles and they want you to cough up $1400 as the only option? What a load of utter bullshit.

Yet another in a long, long list of Niner "warranty" stories that will keep me telling people to avoid this company like the plague.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    2 year old frame that cracked after only a couple thousand miles and they want you to cough up $1400 as the only option? What a load of utter bullshit.

Yet another in a long, long list of Niner "warranty" stories that will keep me telling people to avoid this company like the plague.
    Cant understand why they cant just ship me a frame-only option free out-of-pocket?
    Feel like im held hostage and extorting money out of me.

Ive read the other warranty stories and thought everything in my case was going the right way til they pulled this. I really like these bikes but when I tell my story to other riders and LBS, they said Niner is doing it all wrong to keep me happy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cant understand why they cant just ship me a frame-only option free out-of-pocket?
    Feel like im held hostage and extorting money out of me.
    Yup.
    In my past experiences with breaking frames, if the company no longer had the exact model that was broken, they would provide a higher tier one instead, with no upcharge.

It's not your fault they didn't plan well enough to have warranty frames available. You'd think with their history, they'd should know by now that they're going to need a bunch of them.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    After Niner was acquired I was hoping the injection of capital would allow them to improve the warranty experience. Taking a month to respond and then not providing a replacement frame... that's not improvement. :-(

I really like many of Niner's bikes and am a current owner. But if they don't improve their customer satisfaction in these warranty claims, it will be tough for them to attract buyers.

SS Pusher Man
    So they donít offer a Al frame option st retail.....however you are not dealing with retail. You are a warranty claim.

They need to open up a box, strip a frame and ship it to you, no cash out of your pocket.

As for the Boost issue....itís not an issue. You can work around that.

Sounds like Niner is trying to screw you.

I broke my Santa Cruz Highball Aluminum....SC no longer makes that frame....they sent me a carbon frame without hesitation.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    So they donít offer a Al frame option st retail.....however you are not dealing with retail. You are a warranty claim.

They need to open up a box, strip a frame and ship it to you, no cash out of your pocket.

As for the Boost issue....itís not an issue. You can work around that.

Sounds like Niner is trying to screw you.

I broke my Santa Cruz Highball Aluminum....SC no longer makes that frame....they sent me a carbon frame without hesitation.
    Heard a similar story this weekend with another SC warranty claim, they know how to take care of their customers.

Agree needs to be no cash out of pocket, "credits" towards another off-the-shelf Niner offering isnt going to cut it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The reason they don't want to just give you a frame is because they lose money or don't make money. By getting you to spend $1400, they essentially cover their costs for the replacement. It's a game in which you will lose and they win.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Try letting them know since they recently filed for bankruptcy and were acquired by another company that they need to do their best to win customers back and having this experience on a popular MB site for all to see isn't helping them.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    They should give you the option to choose a frame.

I had a crack in a AL frame last year. The company retired that frame so they let me choose any AL frame they sold. After waiting a couple of months for the right color they told me that color was likely never coming, so they gave me a carbon frame for free. That company ain't Niner.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sold my 2017 Jet 9 RDO this year and spent almost $10k buying a brand new Salsa Warbird and a Trek Remedy 9.8 due to this exact BS from Niner warranty.

Sorry to hear that you're having challenges.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    It's a game in which you will lose and they win.
    If bankruptcy is considered a win, then they've got a great strategy.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Sad. A lot of us had hoped for a change in Customer Service with the new owners. This is just one case, but it isnít looking like much has changed.

I donít think Iíll ever own a brand new Niner again due to this issue. Why would anyone. Too big of a gamble with so many other good options out there.

I plan on getting a Rip to go along with the Jet. Mainly cause I think itís a great Epic all day trail bike vs low long slack enduro bike. But I wonít go new. Iíll go used. If I do go new. It wonít be a Niner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    If bankruptcy is considered a win, then they've got a great strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Sad. A lot of us had hoped for a change in Customer Service with the new owners. This is just one case, but it isnít looking like much has changed.

I donít think Iíll ever own a brand new Niner again due to this issue. Why would anyone. Too big of a gamble with so many other good options out there.

I plan on getting a Rip to go along with the Jet. Mainly cause I think itís a great Epic all day trail bike vs low long slack enduro bike. But I wonít go new. Iíll go used. If I do go new. It wonít be a Niner.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    They should give you the option to choose a frame.

I had a crack in a AL frame last year. The company retired that frame so they let me choose any AL frame they sold. After waiting a couple of months for the right color they told me that color was likely never coming, so they gave me a carbon frame for free. That company ain't Niner.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Try letting them know since they recently filed for bankruptcy and were acquired by another company that they need to do their best to win customers back and having this experience on a popular MB site for all to see isn't helping them.
    They just don't care.

mtbr member
    FINAL UPDATE (last post from me): Niner contacted the LBS that they are stepping up and sending me a Jet 9 RDO frame, at no-cost to me. Big thank you to Kyle at Niner for making things right and keeping me with the brand for the future.

Since I was planning on spending around $1500 with their initial offer, will be building up the RDO frame with new components and sell the Rip 9 as a complete bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Congrats
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

SS Pusher Man
    Good to hear. Sucks that someone at Niner "had to step up" to do what should have been done in the first place.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Maybe they do care 🤔

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by howaminotme View Post
    Maybe they do care 🤔
    Someone cared enough to step up and do the right thing. Good for them!

mtbr member
    Good to hear things got worked out for you.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk