cse
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Niner RKT competitors

I'm currently riding a Transition Smuggler but looking for something with a little more XC-oriented geometry. I recently rode an RKT and really liked it, but before I dump the cash what competitors do I need to look at? What other bikes did you try before buying the RKT....Mach 4, Fuel, etc?

TIA

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You're looking at old school XC geo. Short reach 431 on a L, 440 chainstays and 71* headtube angle on a 100mm travel 70 on 120.
    An Intense Sniper has 67.5* ht> on 100mm with 468 L reach. So slacker and longer.
    Specialized Epic has changed some. 69.5* ht> on 100mm with 456 L reach. 74.75 seat tube>. Not as slack but still longer.
    Scott Spark 920 has 67.2* ht> on 120mm with 460 L reach. It'll take 2.6 x 29 tires.

cse
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for the response @eb1888. The old school XC geometry is what attracted me to the RKT. I've looked at the Sniper, but wasn't sure it could be slack and long and still climb and turn like I want. I know slack and long is the way the wind is blowing though. My XL Smuggler is 67.5* ht and 483 reach and its not great for the riding I'm doing. Your point is well taken though, I need to find new geometry-XC bike to try.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Try a Spark too. Kinda in between. With a better 40mm wheelset it could be light but still XC/trail capable.

SS Pusher Man
    SC Blur with a 120mm 34 SC......light, fast, solid.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    If you like the fit, the RKT can be setup 2.4 tires and 120mm fork to make it more trailish. I second the Santa Cruz Blur as another option.

cse
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm having a heck of time finding an XL carbon Spark to rent or demo. I'll look at the SC Blur also.

The RKT I tested had 2.35 Ikons and a 120 fork. It really worked well.

Pivot demo this weekend, so I'm going to try a Mach 429 SL.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Canít the RKT take up to 2.6 tires?

cse
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Canít the RKT take up to 2.6 tires?
    That's what they say.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have an RKT and it makes a great XC race or all day Trail bike. You can put big tires on it and it is best with a 120 fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have an RKT with the Fox 34 120mm SC and it makes for a really fun XC/Trail bike. I'm in the Midwest so not bombing down long extended downhills, but lots of rolling terrain with some tight twisty trails. It's perfect for that and has that "I could ride it all day" feel.

One thing that I think is underrated with the RKT is how well built it is. I've got a first gen Jet 9 RDO which had tons of small issues as well as a prior gen RIP9 RDO. The RKT has been by far the most reliable of the group.

cse
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for all the responses. I ended up buying an RKT. I struggled finding XL demos or rentals of a lot of the models mentioned. I did ride a 429 Trail and SB100. I only have about 70 miles on the Nicer but I'm super happy with it. It climbs so much better than my Smuggler and descends just as well. I do think I will save up some money for an extra set of wheels with 2.6's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    What wheels did the RKT come with? Iím running 2.6 Rekons on my Jet RDO with Arch wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cse View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I ended up buying an RKT. I struggled finding XL demos or rentals of a lot of the models mentioned. I did ride a 429 Trail and SB100. I only have about 70 miles on the Nicer but I'm super happy with it. It climbs so much better than my Smuggler and descends just as well. I do think I will save up some money for an extra set of wheels with 2.6's.
    Gratz on the new bike! I'm sure you will have a blast riding it. It likes to go fast and you'll really appreciate the responsiveness at those times.
    Last edited by Kuttermax; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:56 AM.

cse
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    What wheels did the RKT come with? Iím running 2.6 Rekons on my Jet RDO with Arch wheels.
    It came with Arch S1ís which I believe have an internal width of 26mm. 2.4 Rekon on the front and 2.25 Rekon Race on the rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iím running 2.6 Rekons on those wheels now. They measure out to about 2.5.

There is a 2.6 tire thread here that discusses 2.6 tires with the new Jet and Rip. Should also apply to the RKT.

I might bump up to a Flow rim which I think is i29. But donít think our bikes could fit anymore then that.

My point is. You could run 2.6 tires now on your Arch wheels,

cse
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Iím running 2.6 Rekons on those wheels now. They measure out to about 2.5.

There is a 2.6 tire thread here that discusses 2.6 tires with the new Jet and Rip. Should also apply to the RKT.

I might bump up to a Flow rim which I think is i29. But donít think our bikes could fit anymore then that.

My point is. You could run 2.6 tires now on your Arch wheels,
    @Five0 Thanks for the info. I plan to do some XC racing but most of my local riding is more Trail oriented. If it balances out that way and I can swing it, an extra set of 29 wide rims with some 2.6's on them would be sweet. If I end up doing more play riding, then I'll just put 2.6's on the OEM rims.

I put some more miles on the bike last week and still loving it.