Niner RIP 9 RDO vs. Rocky Mountain Instinct 2014- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Niner RIP 9 RDO vs. Rocky Mountain Instinct 2014

I am undecided between these two bikes. My budget allows for either one. I had a Rocky Mountain Instinct, which I loved - but it was stolen. My LBS is suggesting the Niner as alternative. What is the general sentiment here?

mtbr member

Niner RIP 9 RDO vs. Rocky Mountain Instinct 2014

Well you're posting in a Niner forum, sooooo...

I don't know if you'll find anyone here who doesn't think the RIP is the best bike in its category. It's an exceptional machine. Can't speak to the RM....hope you find someone who has ridden both.

mtbr member
    I was comparing the Jet to the Element and many other bikes with similar suspension designs and decided those with the shock parallel to the top tube perform worse. Maybe its just me, test ride is key though.

mtbr member
    I actually test rode the BC edition Instinct and the RIP RDO and I just bought the RDO. The Instinct was good and fairly active, reminiscent of a stumpy, I did like it better than the stumpy. Very comfortable layout but the RDO pedaled better and maybe just a bit firmer on the initial small bump stuff, I guess that means the Intinct was a bit plusher for descents (splitting hairs here and I had more time on the RDO with a shock pump as well). Out of saddle the RDO was much more supportive. I also thought the RDO was more willing to bunny hop and manual.

I wouldn't hesitate to ride either one, if I had the choice I would go RDO, and with the deal I got through competitive cyclist, the RDO was a no-brainer.

My test ride experience
    RIP RDO>RM Instinct BC>Remedy 9>Tallboy LTC<Stumpy

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Very interesting, thanks. Is the geometry similar? I am 185cm tall and the Instinct XL frame size was just perfect - the most comfortable bike I ever rode. Does the Instinct XL correspond to a Niner XL? Sometimes the term "XL" is used to mean very different things by different manufacturers.

Also, what about head angle? The Instinct was great: I am 54 year old and no downhiller, and appreciate rather slack angles. The LBS suggests mounting an Angleset onto the Niner, which I agree may be a good idea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think you should look at a size L for your height or you must have extraordinary body dimensions.

Further there are a lot more of great bikes in the 120-130 mm class (salsa horsethief, Intense Spider, Ibis ripley) with some slacker angles.

Just a thought.

Success.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The RM allows you to change the HA significantly with the Ride 9 chip. My buddy leaves it in the same spot most of the time, but likes to change it when we ride out West. So, the Geo is not the same at all and not just because you can change it. I think the steepest HA on the RM is 68.5.

I'd look at the the GEO pretty closely and get some input from other riders your size. I am at the cusp of Niner sizing. Went big, and ended up replacing it with the smaller size. Nine sizing seems to be somewhat funky that way.

I inquired about the angleset recently for a RIP RDO and feedback was a 140mm PIKE + a dropper and you don't need an angleset. The bike can ride anything short of downhill stuff. I'd still try the bike without the angleset first to see what it does as Niner intended before you try an AngleSet.

mtbr member
    I can't comment on XL sizing as I rode medium's on both bikes.

It seems there are a few RDO owners here that ride them with anglesets and/or 150mm forks as well.

E-Moderator
    Apr 2004
    I've ridden the RM 970 Element (my brother's bike) extensively & it felt like a typical FSR designed suspension. Which means it's very active & must rely on heavy propedal settings on the shock. The RDO pedals great in all the Fox CTD settings & I'd consider it one of the best pedaling bike I've been on. The RDO will pedal better just about everywhere.

I'm expert level downhiller, so I set up my RDO with a Fox 36 150mm fork & 1degree Works angleset from the start. So I don't know what the stock ride feels like, but my set up rips. I have no problems climbing as the body quickly adapts to the needs of the bike. I've gone down some super steep DH trails without any problems. I'm Strava freak & I can tell you, I'm faster everywhere when compared to my previous bikes.