Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Niner official - Jet 9 safety recall

First, we sincerely apologize for how long you have waited for this response. Please understand it has nothing to do with Niner ignoring or not caring about these concerns.

The fact is we have been very hard at work analyzing the issues with the Jet 9 so that we could fully understand the warranty cases we received and provide a definitive solution. This analysis included destructive testing, metallurgical study and FEA computer modeling. Using these methods we examined the quality of the base metal, filler material, heat affected zone of the weld, structural design and finish quality of the frames. We built over 20 new prototypes and tested them in every way imaginable.

In light of test results and after many hours of discussion on how best to serve our loyal customers, we decided to voluntarily recall Jet 9 frames with serial numbers from P8001682 to P9400454. These frames risk welding defects in the front and rear triangles that may lead to a premature failure of the frame. Unfortunately, there is no way to visually check for these weld defects. We must require that you stop riding the frame immediately because a failure could occur at any time.

Instead of continuing work on an interim solution using the current Jet 9 frame, we decided to move ahead with a complete redesign. We developed many new features for the R.I.P. 9 and W.F.O. 9 frames that will greatly enhance the new Jet 9:

Tapered head tube to accept new 80-100mm tapered forks
    Hydro-formed tubes for added stiffness without increasing weight
    Forged frame pieces for added stiffness
    Same great geometry and travel as the previous Jet 9

The bottom line: Every current owner of a Jet 9 under the voluntary recall will have the option of receiving a replacement frame (front and rear triangle). Your new frame will be reassembled with your current linkages and shock before we ship it to you.

We are already in the prototyping process for the new Jet 9, but delivering the redesigned model will take some time to accomplish. We hope to start shipping new frames to customers in late Winter or early Spring 2010. This could be at long as 6 months from now. We understand this is simply not a viable option for many of you. In effort to accommodate varying customer needs, we offer several options detailed below.

Option 1 (Available until October 31st)

I want to keep riding and use this opportunity to grow the quiver - Purchase a different NINER frame at an extreme discount. Ride your new bike while you wait to receive your free replacement Jet 9 frame. In the long run, you end up with two bikes at a really good price.

Special Discount Pricing:

R.I.P. 9 $800 (discount of $999)
    ONE 9/S.I.R. 9 $300 (discount of $549)
    AIR 9/ M.C.R. 9 $300 (discount of $499)
    E.M.D. 9 $150 (discount of $349)

Option 2
    I would rather own a R.I.P. 9 - Make the permanent switch to a R.I.P. 9 at no charge. No replacement Jet 9 frame will be shipped.

Option 3
    I have the patience of a saint. I can wait. - Receive a $150 gift certificate towards Niner gear while you wait to receive your free replacement Jet 9 frame.

Our website will have all this information as well as a link to help get your case started. Visit http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=recall

We cannot overstate our concern in regards to these issues, and are investing significant portion of company resources into correcting the issue in the most expedited manner. Niner puts a lot of care into producing bikes that we are proud to put our name on. Our goal is to provide excellent customer service and we realize that ths recall is a huge inconvenience. The amount of time we have put into this testing process has caused production delays, leaving orders unfilled. We know that customers spent hard earned money on a Niner and now we are asking that you to send the frame back for replacement. For some people this is a second time. We cannot begin to explain how sorry we feel about this, but we promise we will make things right and thank you for your purchase, understanding and support.

Niner Bikes
    Last edited by Niner Bikes; 09-14-2009 at 02:29 PM.

TR
    Angry bunny
    P8400440.

Another replacement for me.
    Last edited by TR; 09-11-2009 at 09:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    holy smokes...........I thought this might happen then thought nah they will be ok and what do ya know........well I do have a jet 9 in the recall numbers...................

so now, what to do ???

I didn't see the new carbon hardtail in the option list of deep discounts, wonder if that would be a possibility at all ???

I gather running a rip 9 with my dt swiss 100mm fork would still work reasonably well......as that fork is stupid expensive I def want to be able to use it.........

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    WOW! I am in now way affected, but I'd like to see another case of the customer being taken care of as well as this. Yes, the breakages suck and people are mad, but damn.

I feel that much better that I bought a Niner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by suvowner
    holy smokes...........I thought this might happen then thought nah they will be ok and what do ya know........well I do have a jet 9 in the recall numbers...................

so now, what to do ???

I didn't see the new carbon hardtail in the option list of deep discounts, wonder if that would be a possibility at all ???

I gather running a rip 9 with my dt swiss 100mm fork would still work reasonably well......as that fork is stupid expensive I def want to be able to use it.........
    Technically, yes you can still use your DT fork....the Rip 9 frames come w/ an internal headset and in part of that package is a race/spacer that reduces the lower HT diameter to 1 1/8" so you can run a "traditional" 1 1/8" steerer tube fork.

mtbr member
    Alright, I have been silent up until now..

What about option 4; I want my freaking money back, now!! This will be the third replacement for me.

Went out on a huge limb to purchase this bike as a personal reward for myself about one year ago and now it has been nothing but a headache this spring and summer. What makes me even more nervous is that my frame failures were at the bearing interface (pressed bearings loosened up on me)... So, right now I have little faith that this won't happen again, I didn't even have a framebreakage to cause the warranty issue.....

ALRIGHT-EDIT: I have finally cooled off.. Niner is really going above and beyond to try to do the right thing.....I'll be adding a SIR 9 frame to the stable.
    Last edited by Dscarbs; 09-13-2009 at 04:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dscarbs
    Alright, I have been silent up until now..

What about option 4; I want my freaking money back, now!! This will be the third replacement for me.

Went out on a huge limb to purchase this bike as a personal reward for myself about one year ago and now it has been nothing but a headache this spring and summer. What makes me even more nervous is that my frame failures were at the bearing interface (pressed bearings loosened up on me)... So, right now I have little faith that this won't happen again, I didn't even have a framebreakage to cause the warranty issue.....

Dscarbs,

I understand how you feel. We have tried our best to provide a number of resonable options.

Chris
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 918XC
    Technically, yes you can still use your DT fork....the Rip 9 frames come w/ an internal headset and in part of that package is a race/spacer that reduces the lower HT diameter to 1 1/8" so you can run a "traditional" 1 1/8" steerer tube fork.
    I knew it was adaptable, but didn't realize it comes with a headset already....thanks for info........was thinking more in the line of ride characteristics.........I know there are a number of 1st gen rips with 100mm forks, but seems not nearly as many 2nd gen rips with 100mm forks ??

btw you guys have been racing a stable of lime green jets right ?? curious to see what you will be on at the remaining ambcs events ?? you def don't wanna pass up on camp robinson !!

I trail ride more than race, so the rip option is def appealing.............and I thank niner for giving me these options............

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What jet9 bikes are not part of the recall?

Space Ghost
    Dscarbs, if you want to recoup your loss financially and then some, do the following. Buy a RIP9 frame at discount in either medium or large (probably any size). Sell it at retail minus a hundred or two, use that $$ to help finance your new frame and then sell your replacement Jet when you get it. As a '09 RIP owner who couldn't be happier, I am sure I am biased, but I would be shocked at ANY other manufacturer matching this kind of CS. I'm sure you are beyond pissed and don't envy your situation, but you could actually MAKE money on this deal. Just sayin'.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm super psyched. I just went online & chose option 1. I put in my request for a 2009 RIP, which I'll ride until my 2010 JET gets here. I hope they have some small RIP's in stock because I don't want to be without a FS ride too long. My other bike is a rigid SS. Thanks Niner for doing the right thing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

I had this thought too - why wouldn't they give me a Carbon Air 9 at a discount. Discussed with a buddy and we came to the conclusion that the intent of Option 1 was to keep us riding until we can get a new XC full suspension frame. Also remember we get to keep that deeply discounted Air/Sir/MCR etc frame in addition to the free exchange for the redesigned 2010 Jet.

Shoot holes in that argument all you want, everyone is entitled to to their opinion. I'm excited to get a single speed frame at a big discount while I wait for my redesigned new Jet. If you don't need another frame to keep you riding take the $150 niner credit. Not an ideal situation but Niner seems to have gone out of their way to make things right.

Don't blame you for asking either. Answer is always no when you don't ask.
    Last edited by ridebikes; 09-11-2009 at 08:54 PM.

IMBA and XTERRA Junkie

I am very happy with the choices

I cannot wait for the new Jet9. I can only imagine how sweet that ride will be with the new tubing and oversize headtube. In the meantime I will ride and race the Rip9 that I also love. Thanks Chris and crew for being the best Bike company I have ever dealt with.

Scud

mtbr member
    I knew it was adaptable, but didn't realize it comes with a headset already....thanks for info........was thinking more in the line of ride characteristics.........I know there are a number of 1st gen rips with 100mm forks, but seems not nearly as many 2nd gen rips with 100mm forks ??

btw you guys have been racing a stable of lime green jets right ?? curious to see what you will be on at the remaining ambcs events ?? you def don't wanna pass up on camp robinson !!

I trail ride more than race, so the rip option is def appealing.............and I thank niner for giving me these options............
    I think on the 100mm fork/Rip9 deal people are trying to maximize the potential of that frame so they are going 120mm fork and a little heavier duty build. The 100mm fork should work great IMO. I am building up a Rip that will be a combo of both.....hopefully next week I will have pics of the set up.

Yep, that is us....some people are going Rip9, some are going to take advantage of the great price and get on a One9 or Air9, then back on the new Jet 9.

We should have a great representation at Camp Robinson, looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    Dear Suvowner,

The replacement frame deal is just there to keep riders riding. The Air 9 Carbon will not be out soon enough.

Chris & Steve
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes
    Dear Suvowner,

The replacement frame deal is just there to keep riders riding. The Air 9 Carbon will not be out soon enough.

Chris & Steve
    Niner Bikes
    ok cool, thanks for the reply.....I will be looking forward to my new rip 9 then.........I am torn though, if I want to pay the 800 and get a new jet later, or just stay with the rip and buy a new air 9 carbon later on ??? It just seems to me the rip9 and the jet 9 are so close it is a bit harder to justify both, but a rip and then a superlight build air 9 carbon seems like a much more versatile stable............so as the wheels are turning in my head I gotta ask just one more question ??

what if I paid the 800 for a rip, but instead of getting a replacement jet, get a replacement air 9 carbon ??? of course, I would be happy to pay any differential on the frame price of the new jet frame compared to the air 9 carbon frame, as I assume the air 9 carbon will be a bit higher retail than the jet ???

mtbr member
    Niner,

Can you briefly explain the S/N cut-off for the recall? My Jet9 S/N is slightly above P8400454 and I believe I have the updated rear triangle.

I am having no problems with my '09 Jet 9 as mentioned in another post, so I'm just curious. Thanks for a good response to a troublesome subject.

Thanks,
    Alan

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

niner

I have frame # P8400467 it is only 13 numbers after the recall what makes my frame different ??

Thanks

Craig

mtbr member
    I'll be rocking the RIP with a 100mm fork soon. Can't wait.
    Last edited by Jesterrider; 09-11-2009 at 09:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Niner - I think you are doing a real service to everyone with the replacement/discount program. I haven't bought a Niner (YET!) but now that I know how you handle things, I really think Niner is an even cooler company. Can I just buy a RIP 9 for the discount price?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks Niner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiktm
    I have frame # P8400467 it is only 13 numbers after the recall what makes my frame different ??

Thanks

Craig
    Mine is 17 numbers after. I must say I don't feel confident at all. Yes, I know I should, but...

Thanks,
    Morten
    Last edited by mitch66; 09-12-2009 at 12:14 AM.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Question.
    Who is paying the shipping to international owners/ their distributors??

To clarify, if I decide to take you up on a $800US RIP9 until I can get my hands on a replacement Jet and have to pay shipping and taxes to Australia then I could be out of pocket by several hundred more $ than someone in the US.
    If I then have to pay shipping and handling on the replacement Jet then of course I am several hundred more $ out of pocket again.
    Last edited by TR; 09-12-2009 at 02:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Question.
    Who is paying the shipping to international owners/ their distributors??
    I second this question... and also import taxes and dutties...

mtbr member
    Chris, please forgive me,

I will just contact you guys directly Monday after I cool off. Unfortunately, any of the offered options are going to cost me, the consumer, more money. A new Rip will cost me a new fork. I have read posts from you guys saying a 100 mm fork wont work well with a rip.... Another frame again is going to cost me, and I can't be without a bike for six months to wait for a new Jet. (which I love by the way).

No to mention I have twice spent a good bit of money getting my bike built back up, although my shop cut me a huge break on labor. And I will be doing that again once I get another frame...... Just frustrated, you guys have really tried in the past, I am sure you will come up with something. Hard when you have only six rides on two different replacement frames.. Just got this one back about two weeks ago.....

mtbr member
    Dude, I totally agree and really want a SIR to build up as a SS, would be great, but try telling this to my wife. Will probably go with one of the steel frames and see how it goes. Anyone have some real world experience on the ride quaility of a Rip with a 100mm fork? By the way, thanks for the quick response Chris! I hope to make some sort of a decision soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach417
    Dscarbs, if you want to recoup your loss financially and then some, do the following. Buy a RIP9 frame at discount in either medium or large (probably any size). Sell it at retail minus a hundred or two, use that $$ to help finance your new frame and then sell your replacement Jet when you get it. As a '09 RIP owner who couldn't be happier, I am sure I am biased, but I would be shocked at ANY other manufacturer matching this kind of CS. I'm sure you are beyond pissed and don't envy your situation, but you could actually MAKE money on this deal. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by Dscarbs; 09-12-2009 at 06:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jetraid
    I second this question... and also import taxes and dutties...
    As the new frame will be sent free of charge: no customer taxes.
    You might have to pay administration fees + transport from your border to your home adress, For me I guess around 60 .
    I put down option 1, An Air9 frame raw...

If that Air 9 carbon is made in the same factory...
    About the new Air 9 carbon: I hope the BB shell has been secured in the frame.
    There is not much carbon around that shell.
    F.e. a friend of mine got his 4th Trek replacement frame (carbon Elite9.8 2004,2005,2007,2009).
    The BB shell loosened itself from the carbon on every frame...

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by 918XC
    Count me in as being "tapered head tube clueless". The new JET 9 will have the tapered head tube, so I guess you are saying that we will be able to use our JET 9 forks with a proper headset with spacer on the new JET 9 frames as well, right? The recall didn't say if the new JET 9 will come with a headset like the RIP does. So I am assuming I need to factor in the purchase of a new headset....

BB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Count me in as being "tapered head tube clueless". The new JET 9 will have the tapered head tube, so I guess you are saying that we will be able to use our JET 9 forks with a proper headset with spacer on the new JET 9 frames as well, right? The recall didn't say if the new JET 9 will come with a headset like the RIP does. So I am assuming I need to factor in the purchase of a new headset....

BB
    The Rip9 frames come w/ the headset included and that has a spacer/reducer so you can run your current fork vs. having to get a tapered steerer tube fork.
    I am assuming the Jet9s will come w/ the same headset and spacer/reducer, but Niner will have to confirm that.

mtbr member
    Has Niner contacted the Consumer Product Safety Commission to document the problem and the resulting voluntary recall? It is my understanding that Niner is required to do so. Despite the issuing of the recall on MTBR and other online sites, I see no official notification through the CPSC.

If you look at the recent voluntary recalls from Cannondale (2008 Lefty DLR2, 2008 Scalpel) and Salsa (stems), both companies involved the CPSC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown

BB
    Dear Bruce

The new Jet 9 will come with both bearings for a tapered fork and a reducer for a 1 1/8 fork so you can run either without buying any parts.

Chris
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Dear Suvowner,

Chris & Steve
    Niner Bikes

Hi Chris,
    This is the second recall I have had to deal with on my Jet9 as well. I am not overly happy about waiting 6 months for another jet, but I commend you on your customer service. You guys are a class act and you are doing everything within your power to make it right for your consumers! So, thanks for taking care of us.

I also own a air9 that I use as my race bike, so I am not completely without a bike while I am waiting for my replacement Jet9. Knowing that, it is there anyway to apply the discount towards a carbon air9? If so, that would put three Niners in my quiver.

Thanks again for steppin up! I will always race a niner!!

Always Learning
    Dear Bruce

The new Jet 9 will come with both bearings for a tapered fork and a reducer for a 1 1/8 fork so you can run either without buying any parts.

Chris
    Niner Bikes
    Thanks, Chris. Good to know.

BB

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks guys! Glad I have 3 (now 4 since I went with option 1) Niners. Somewhat of a bike economic stimulus plan - now I have to buy a bunch of parts to build the SIR9.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nuckingfuts2
    Hi Chris,
    This is the second recall I have had to deal with on my Jet9 as well. I am not overly happy about waiting 6 months for another jet, but I commend you on your customer service. You guys are a class act and you are doing everything within your power to make it right for your consumers! So, thanks for taking care of us.

I also own a air9 that I use as my race bike, so I am not completely without a bike while I am waiting for my replacement Jet9. Knowing that, it is there anyway to apply the discount towards a carbon air9? If so, that would put three Niners in my quiver.

Thanks again for steppin up! I will always race a niner!!
    I second this question !!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I broke 5GF HI FI's last year. IT SUUUUCKED! I was considering a Niner next. GF was great about replacing them so Im thinking a Rumblefish after reading these posts. Best of luck everyone.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This brings a tear to my eye. I love everything about my Jet 9 and I'm going hate to let her go. Chris from Niner, please tell me black anodized will still be a color option on the replacement frame?

Looks like I'll be riding a new Air 9 in the interim. Will the discount frame be an '09 or '10 Air 9 or is there any difference since you guys really don't do model years? Is there anything from my Jet that won't be compatible with the Air other than the seatpost?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by igere
    This brings a tear to my eye. I love everything about my Jet 9 and I'm going hate to let her go. Chris from Niner, please tell me black anodized will still be a color option on the replacement frame?

Looks like I'll be riding a new Air 9 in the interim. Will the discount frame be an '09 or '10 Air 9 or is there any difference since you guys really don't do model years? Is there anything from my Jet that won't be compatible with the Air other than the seatpost?
    Igere,

Anodized black is still in the cards. We will see as we get closer to production samples. We are experimenting with a new type of Al on this model and not sure how anodizing looks till we make some samples.

You are correct in that we do not do model years. There are now changes from 09-10 on any of the hardtails. You will need a 31.6 post and a low mount top pull front der will work best.

Chris
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ive got a stupid question... where can i find the seriel number on the frame??
    Thx
    OBEY

24-36-48
    turn your bike upside down and you'll see it on the bottom of the frame where the bb is located

banned

Dscarbs

Quote Originally Posted by Dscarbs
    Dude, I totally agree and really want a SIR to build up as a SS, would be great, but try telling this to my wife. Will probably go with one of the steel frames and see how it goes. Anyone have some real world experience on the ride quaility of a Rip with a 100mm fork? By the way, thanks for the quick response Chris! I hope to make some sort of a decision soon.
    Motobutane rode his RIP with the 100mm Fox fork for well over a year and loved it. He just recently(within) the last 2 months switched to a 120mm fork. His is an 08 but I don't think the 09's geometry is much different. On the bearing issue that you had, I might be wrong but I think your was a very isolated instance as I haven't heard of any others having that problem. If you want to save your money, p.m. me when you decide what frame you are getting and I will build it up for you with your parts. I can't believe biowheels is cheezy enough to charge you for rebuilding your frame after a warranty issue on a bike they sold you.

discaimer:I don't have my Jet 9 anymore but DAMN, my hat's off to Niner for taking care of their customers the way they do.

mtbr member
    May 2007

New question here. The Jet 9s not recalled?

Chris,

I was glad to see my frame (8400536) was not on the list, but am wondering what the difference is between those Jet 9 frames above # 8400454 and those frames that are recalled. The welds?; who did the work?..........?

Thanks

Superflying on Haven
    am wondering what the difference is between those Jet 9 frames above # 8400454 and those frames that are recalled.
    I have the same question.

But first and foremost I must say that it is excellent customer service As mentioned in the quote, does that mean all the Jet built with serial numbers above P8400454 are safe and they won't break ? If yes, I would be glad to get of one these P840045? frame right now instead of waiting six months to get a 2010 redesigned version. Is that possible ? I mean I'm sure the new version will be amazing but I'm already 150% satisfied with the current version, if I can get one that won't break...

mtbr member

Good job! Kudos to NINER.

Kudos to NINER I must say I was doubtful such an action would be taken by NIner as it would be very costly, but Niner has stepped up and done what is right by it's loyal customers, sadly the ones outside the US will most likely not be as lucky or happy with shipping charges and duties etc., but still Kudos to Niner, you definitely have proven beyond a doubt that you guys are a stand up company.

First, we sincerely apologize for how long you have waited for this response. Please understand it has nothing to do with Niner ignoring or not caring about these concerns.......................................... .................................................. ............
    We cannot overstate our concern in regards to these issues, and are investing significant portion of company resources into correcting the issue in the most expedited manner. Niner puts a lot of care into producing bikes that we are proud to put our name on. Our goal is to provide excellent customer service and we realize that ths recall is a huge inconvenience. The amount of time we have put into this testing process has caused production delays, leaving orders unfilled. We know that customers spent hard earned money on a Niner and now we are asking that you to send the frame back for replacement. For some people this is a second time. We cannot begin to explain how sorry we feel about this, but we promise we will make things right and thank you for your purchase, understanding and support.

Niner Bikes
    Cruso, as I've stated before the new '09/hydro formed RIP9s use the same geometry as the '08s, HOWEVER this is accomplished using a 120mm fork, so if you use a 100mm fork on a new RIP9 you will have steeper angles all around (effectively about 1 dgree steeper) and the bike will handle much faster/twitchier than using a 120mm fork which it was designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    Motobutane rode his RIP with the 100mm Fox fork for well over a year and loved it. He just recently(within) the last 2 months switched to a 120mm fork. His is an 08 but I don't think the 09's geometry is much different. On the bearing issue that you had, I might be wrong but I think your was a very isolated instance as I haven't heard of any others having that problem. If you want to save your money, p.m. me when you decide what frame you are getting and I will build it up for you with your parts. I can't believe biowheels is cheezy enough to charge you for rebuilding your frame after a warranty issue on a bike they sold you.

discaimer:I don't have my Jet 9 anymore but DAMN, my hat's off to Niner for taking care of their customers the way they do.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    sadly the ones outside the US will most likely not be as lucky or happy with shipping charges and duties etc., but still Kudos to Niner, you definitely have proven beyond a doubt that you guys are a stand up company.
    About the duties... Niner will surely add a document in the package that clarifies that this is a warranty replacement (if we are not talking about the additional bike you can buy for a discount)? Can anyone from Niner confirm this? This should take care of any customs problems at least in my country...

I think shipping to both directions will be free for everyone based on the e-mail I got from Niner...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Menzo
    I have the same question.

But first and foremost I must say that it is excellent customer service As mentioned in the quote, does that mean all the Jet built with serial numbers above P8400454 are safe and they won't break ? If yes, I would be glad to get of one these P840045? frame right now instead of waiting six months to get a 2010 redesigned version. Is that possible ? I mean I'm sure the new version will be amazing but I'm already 150% satisfied with the current version, if I can get one that won't break...

Good point, I'd be happy to go that route as well assuming I could get the same color.

mtbr member
    Well hopefully that'll be the case and it'll be that easy, but as we all know customs in certain places can be a PITA. When I broke my RIP( I had Niner ship the replacement to meet me when I flew up to the US on a business trip and when I flew back in with it I just told the customs officer it was a warranty replacement and paid no duties, HOWEVER I could just as well have come upon a stuborn asshat who would have questioned etc and been a royal PITA - government employees with power generally like to feel powerful and abuse it

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart
    About the duties... Niner will surely add a document in the package that clarifies that this is a warranty replacement (if we are not talking about the additional bike you can buy for a discount)? Can anyone from Niner confirm this? This should take care of any customs problems at least in my country...

I think shipping both ways will be free for everyone based on the e-mail I got from Niner...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My serial is P8400523...just another rider wondering what is the difference in our close but not in the recall zone frames that make them safe? I don't feel like I could ride it without some question in my mind about safety.
    Thanks for being stand up guys taking care of the customers!

Tribe member
    I'm not a Niner rider but have been wanting an EMD frame. Anybody have a couple bikes and wanna take option #1 and I'll pay you the $150?? haha

Great customer service from Niner; it makes me want one even more.

TR
    Angry bunny
    On the bearing issue that you had, I might be wrong but I think your was a very isolated instance as I haven't heard of any others having that problem.
    Sounds like the problem I had with my rear triangle.

TR
    Angry bunny

I think shipping to both directions will be free for everyone based on the e-mail I got from Niner...
    Well this is a point.
    They could do this, but have not confirmed.
    The other point is the shipping costs. Again they have not confirmed what will happen and I know from experience that shipping from the US to Australia can be ridiculously expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    All I have to say is that I think it is very decent and honest of Niner to do this and even say this. There are a few companies here that would rather sweep this Truth under the rug and Id would be a Moment of Epiphany.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    All I have to say is that I think it is very decent and honest of Niner to do this and even say this. There are a few companies here that would rather sweep this Truth under the rug and Id would be a Moment of Epiphany.

mtbr member
    ROFLAMO

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Cruso, as I've stated before the new '09/hydro formed RIP9s use the same geometry as the '08s, HOWEVER this is accomplished using a 120mm fork, so if you use a 100mm fork on a new RIP9 you will have steeper angles all around (effectively about 1 dgree steeper) and the bike will handle much faster/twitchier than using a 120mm fork which it was designed for.
    So is that good or not? I have Reba race on my Jet 9 and would like to move it to RIP 9.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Anyone know when the return shipping labels are being sent out? I'm planning on disassembling my bike in the next few days. Also, if we chose option 1 - Are they waiting for our returned Jet9 before sending out the new frames, or will they just process our credit card and ship? I, like everyone else am looking for a quick turnaround on the new frame. My only other ride is a rigid singlespeed & having that as my only bike for a while is going to limit the places I can ride. When my buddies head for the rough stuff, I'm going to get left behind.

Thanks again Niner for doing the right thing.

Chronic 1st-timer
    ...in the same boat as feltbee: I'll be keeping my eyes open for an XL S.I.R.9 going up for sale.
    Trailwrecker at large

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch66
    Mine is 17 numbers after. I must say I don't feel confident at all. Yes, I know I should, but...

Thanks,
    Morten
    Purely speculation on my part but a possible reason: The serial numbers recalled are likely to all be from one batch/shipment. Frames with lower and higher numbers would have been produced at a different time and not be affected by the welding issue.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Superflying on Haven
    If I choose option 1 : Jet9 seat tube is 30.9 whereas Air9 is 31.6 = need a new seatpost = an additional $100-$125 (Thompson 410 mm)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I chose Option #1 also. Air 9.

I fear Ebay will be flooded with discounted frames come 2010.
    Niner Jet9

Niner Air9

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Also went with option 1 but I'll keep the 29'ers and sell my 26" Orbea .

mtbr member
    my Serial is #P8400481 also curious as to what changed between the 30 or so frames before mine?

that said ive been riding the hell out of my frame with no problems since may.

Superflying on Haven

Recalled Jet9 to trade

My Jet broke Saturday morning. The seat tube snapped just under the welding of the pivots. Unfortunately I dont't have the patience of a saint to wait until next year, I already have a cheap spare bike (because of last year Jet9 breakage) and certainly don't want a Rip9...

Anyone interested to trade their Jet with serial number above P8400454 with mine

mtbr member

mtbr member
    My Jet broke Saturday morning. The seat tube snapped just under the welding of the pivots. Unfortunately I dont't have the patience of a saint to wait until next year, I already have a cheap spare bike (because of last year Jet9 breakage) and certainly don't want a Rip9...

Anyone interested to trade their Jet with serial number above P8400454 with mine
    Count me in

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks Niner,

This has been a frustrating process. I bought the Jet 9 when it first came out and went through the linkage issue, a broken front triangle and broken rear. It is hard not to be upset when a bike is out of commission that much and one has to pay to have it rebuilt each time. I can certainly understand why some folks are still upset. While it would have been nice to have seen this respsonse a bit earlier I think you guys have stepped up and are doing the right thing. I hope the new Jet 9 is finally dialed in. I have loved riding the bike while it has been in commission.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Agreed
    Niner Jet9

Niner Air9

mtbr member

I live in the UK and when Niner sent my warranty replacement, very quickly I must say on a cracked '07 RIP9's ST, it was marked as 'Warranty Replacement' and as such was delivered without ANY incoming charges.

So, free to my door

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i HEART Niner. You guys clearly are doing your best to take care of your customers. I've got a Jet9 as part of the recall (it never broke) and will definitely be riding more Niners for the years to come.

nice job Niner.

mtbr member
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post6107178 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_6107178>Just to be clear.

The new Jet 9 will include a new headset. You will be able to use your current 1 /18 fork (adpter will be included) or you can use a tapered fork (bearings and race included).

Most major fork makers will be offering 2010 29er forks in the 80-100mm travel range in a tapered version. The new Jet 9 will take advantage of this and will be forward compatable.

Our main concern is to keep you riding. In a perfect world we would like to offer these forks to customers at a discount but we believe we are being fair with the current offers.

We have been getting a few requests from customers to get an Air 9 Carbon. Again our main concern is to keep you riding and the Air 9 Carbon will not be ready for delivery for a while, so this will not be an option.

Thanks for all your support during this time. It is nice for all of us a Niner Bikes to read the positive comments posted. It make what we do here real.

Chris & Steve
    Niner Bikes

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just saw this on Niner's facebook page -- recall range has widened - previous range was (P8071682 to P8400454).

Quote from Facebook:
    Jet 9 Safety Recall Update: The previously indicated serial number range was incorrect. The corrected range is: P8001682 to P9400454. Please refer to this link with questions.
    http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=recall

TR
    Angry bunny
    I have to wonder why the silence from Niner on the shipping costs.
    I am keen to get the ball rolling on a Sir9 under the offer but dont want to do so until I know my FULL costs.
    I have seen shipping costs as high as $300 for a frame to Australia so this is a substantial out of pocket expense over what I would pay if I was a US owner.

mtbr member
    We did spend the whole morning again going over our production notes and relazed we made an error with the batch numbers. The correct numbers are P8001682 to P9400454. We will be correcting our website and this site to reflect this.

Chris
    Niner Bikes<!-- / message -->

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    I have to wonder why the silence from Niner on the shipping costs.
    I am keen to get the ball rolling on a Sir9 under the offer but dont want to do so until I know my FULL costs.
    I have seen shipping costs as high as $300 for a frame to Australia so this is a substantial out of pocket expense over what I would pay if I was a US owner.
    TR,

We are working with our International Dist's this week about this issue. We will have more info next week. Please stay in contact with your local shop or Dist you purchased the bike from.

Chris
    Niner Bikes

TR
    Angry bunny
    TR,

We are working with our International Dist's this week about this issue. We will have more info next week. Please stay in contact with your local shop or Dist you purchased the bike from.

Chris
    Niner Bikes
    Thanks Chris
    I have been talking with Pete and we have been discussing my options.
    Just waiting for this last piece of the puzzle.

AOK
    mtbr member
    If I trade for a RIP, can I buy an OEM Fox?

This post sounds promising, but no details. When I called Niner today, I got the answer "we haven't worked that out".

When you do work out details, can you let us know? I would like to understand my costs before I make a decision on what to do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    well I jjust ordered a new regular price one 9 and gonna build it up light as possible, hoping to get it sub 20lbs with my dt swiss fork......

also, had lbs order a fox 120 oem fork from niner, but they are out of stock but expecting some soon........they would not sell it to me personally, but would to/through my lbs.........as i will be taking option 2 and replacing jet with rip........

so, will ride the superlight single speed until the rip comes, then ride it and the ss until the air 9 and then build up a superlight sram xx racing machine........until niner develops a badass carbon jet 9..............and it will probably ride so sweeet i won't wanna ride anything else.............then i will move my single speed stuff to the air 9 and sell the one 9 and rip 9 and then what the hell buy a wfo !! All while reading an article in cyclnig news about how niners industry leading brand loyalty has made them hands down the number one consumer rated bike company.

so for me, niners awesome customer service = niners bike stimulus plan for me !!! I am happy to support the niner economy in such times !! So niner please contnue to make stuff I think I can't live without !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Niner, what will be the disposition of our current Jet frames.

1. Are they ours to do with as we please? (Mine in in pieces since the rear triangle is cracked and replacment didn't come before recall).
    2. Are you sending out return shipping boxes now to send them in for destruction?
    3. Are you sending a return shipment slip when the new Jets arrive, or new RIP for option 2?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Has anyone who made their claim with the Niner online system seen their status go from "not started" I filed the claim according to Niner's instructions this weekend and it still says "not started". I'm sure their swamped right now, but just checking.
    Niner Jet9

Niner Air9

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg918514
    Niner, what will be the disposition of our current Jet frames.

1. Are they ours to do with as we please? (Mine in in pieces since the rear triangle is cracked and replacment didn't come before recall).
    ?
    Mmmm, that's interesting. I broke a Cannondale road frame and when I went to get warranty replacement, the LBS told me C-dale HAD to get the original one back. I assumed this was to destroy it to be certain nobody got hurt or tried to replace it more than once.

I came to find out several weeks after I got the replacement that the LBS had put it in the recycling bin behind the shop and it got picked up by the truck for recycling! All I wanted was to keep it to attach it to the garage wall as a memento. . .

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    TR,

Chris
    Niner Bikes
    I live in Europe, but I bought my Jet from USA. How will this work out?

Quote Originally Posted by cycleboy
    Mmmm, that's interesting. I broke a Cannondale road frame and when I went to get warranty replacement, the LBS told me C-dale HAD to get the original one back. I assumed this was to destroy it to be certain nobody got hurt or tried to replace it more than once.

I came to find out several weeks after I got the replacement that the LBS had put it in the recycling bin behind the shop and it got picked up by the truck for recycling! All I wanted was to keep it to attach it to the garage wall as a memento. . .
    Many companies have the LBS cut the BB shell out of warranty frames and return just that part, which usually has the serial number on in.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Many companies have the LBS cut the BB shell out of warranty frames and return just that part, which usually has the serial number on in.

The reason I ask, is that I have a nice Fox RP23 and some new bearings in my frame and a derailleur hanger. Can we keep them? I'm assuming the new replacment will have all that.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg918514
    The reason I ask, is that I have a nice Fox RP23 and some new bearings in my frame and a derailleur hanger. Can we keep them? I'm assuming the new replacment will have all that.
    If you read the replacement offer I think you will find you are only getting front and rear triangles with bearings installed.
    You will be re-using the original shock and linkages.
    No idea on the bearings and hanger.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Heads up on shipping labels...

Just got my shippoing label about an hour ago, prepaid. I am expecting that the replacement frame will be sent out without charge. Not sure about any "discount" frames. A call to Niner indicated that OEM forks were not in the offering. I already had the box it came in, so you will likely have to stop by a LBS to get one if you bought yours built up, or tossed the box. Claim number was in the low 1100s.
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by schwing_ding
    Just got my shippoing label about an hour ago, prepaid. I am expecting that the replacement frame will be sent out without charge. Not sure about any "discount" frames. A call to Niner indicated that OEM forks were not in the offering. I already had the box it came in, so you will likely have to stop by a LBS to get one if you bought yours built up, or tossed the box. Claim number was in the low 1100s.
    That's positive to hear that someone is getting somewhere. I really do appreciate all they are doing for us, however I would be happier to pay full price for my replacement frame then be reimbursed for the discount amount, in order to expedite replacement.

I've already gone through one broken swingarm, which took a few weeks. Unfortunately my support ticket is still in "not started" status at order # 1251, so it looks like I got some time yet. I was hoping to get a one9 built up for a race in 2 weeks. Not so much.

-matt

mtbr member

A few questions for Niner regarding the recall.....

So I have read everything here regarding the recall and submitted two recall case files. But I have a few questions on how this process works so I can "keep riding".

Questions---

1. After I get a UPS return label (I have not got it yet) via email how soon do I need to return the bike? I would like it keep the Jet until the replacement frame comes.....

2. According to step 4 in the recall process, "For the fastest response, we advise customers to create their (aka Jet 9 recall) ticket through our online system. Orders will be fulfilled in a first come first served basis"

2a. When will you provide an eta for the replacement frame delivery?

2b. Will the replacement frame selection have any bearing on delivery? If so, by how much?

2c. Will color selection have a bearing on delivery? If so, by how much?

2d. Will size selection have a bearing on delivery? If so, by how much?

For me to make an informed decision I need answers to the questions above. i.e. My wife wants to get a Med Air 9 in Green to ride until the new Jet come in, but we heard today that this frame in that size and color is out of stock until late October... now that's a problem if we ship the recalled frame and have no bike for 6 weeks.

The way it is written now, you are lead to believe once you get into the que and the sequential fulfillment process begins, no unusual delivery time well incur.

I hope you understand these issues and can provide some more insight to the process.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    All of those thoughts went thru my head too.

Niner is handling this in a very professional way I think. They're also monitoring this conversation too, so I believe that those issues will be addressed shortly.

I too had originally requested a green medium Air9, and really don't want to be without a bike for more than a couple weeks. There is still 5-6 weeks left in the race season here in Virginia.
    Niner Jet9

Niner Air9

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by olekz
    So I have read everything here regarding the recall and submitted two recall case files. But I have a few questions on how this process works so I can "keep riding".

Questions---

1. After I get a UPS return label (I have not got it yet) via email how soon do I need to return the bike? I would like it keep the Jet until the replacement frame comes.....

2. According to step 4 in the recall process, "For the fastest response, we advise customers to create their (aka Jet 9 recall) ticket through our online system. Orders will be fulfilled in a first come first served basis"

2a. When will you provide an eta for the replacement frame delivery?

2b. Will the replacement frame selection have any bearing on delivery? If so, by how much?

2c. Will color selection have a bearing on delivery? If so, by how much?

2d. Will size selection have a bearing on delivery? If so, by how much?

For me to make an informed decision I need answers to the questions above. i.e. My wife wants to get a Med Air 9 in Green to ride until the new Jet come in, but we heard today that this frame in that size and color is out of stock until late October... now that's a problem if we ship the recalled frame and have no bike for 6 weeks.
    Here are some answers to your questions as I understand them, from conversations with the folks at Niner.

1. You need to return the bike immediatley for any action to take place. They want those frames off the trail.

2a. I don't believe they will be providing any eta's.

Hopefully Niner jumps in for the other questions. Again I answered based upon asking the same questions on the phone with Niner.

-matt

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I got case nr 1100 and something...
    Hope to hear something soon...Didn't receive my UPS returnnr.yet.
    Because the 'interim' frame will be shipped after the returned Jet has arrived, I guess it will take weeks
    I'm an international customer (Belgium) and I'm praying to get my Air 9 raw frame quickly.
    Hate to lose the shape I built up riding the Jet.
    My Jet 9 was an amazing bike, I will miss her.
    Last edited by Dikkie; 09-23-2009 at 04:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Mattmor,

Thanks for input, it's kinda what I thought but would like to hear Niner give some more input on the process.

The point on no ETA's really is disconcerting. I truly appreciate what Niner is doing and I will continue to buy and recommend their products (just yesterday I helped to friends get new Niners). ...But no ETA's, how can you make a decision?

mtbr member
    Cruso:
    Thanks, just saw this post.... I will be going the SIR 9 route... and will be building the bike back up myself....But I will let you know, and I will be having a word with my LBS... Apparently is is in Niner's dealers agreement that shops handle warranty issues without charging the customer for labor..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Question for the informed:

do we keep the links & shock, or send them back? The email notification from Niner when i submitted the case online says this (i bolded for emphasis):

"1. Disassemble frame. Box up and send back frame with shock and links. Do NOT include any other components."

So what do we send, front & rear triangles stripped down or complete frameset with links & shock etc?

Quote Originally Posted by olekz
    Mattmor,

Thanks for input, it's kinda what I thought but would like to hear Niner give some more input on the process.

The point on no ETA's really is disconcerting. I truly appreciate what Niner is doing and I will continue to buy and recommend their products (just yesterday I helped to friends get new Niners). ...But no ETA's, how can you make a decision?
    As to question #1, you and some others seem to be missing this plain and simple statement directly for the recall notice:
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner SAFETY recall notice
    "...We must require that you stop riding the frame immediately because a failure could occur at any time."
    I see no room at all for continuing to use the frame until the replacement arrives.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just a thought, but some of you will get your questions answered and anxiety calmed faster by calling Niner directly than posting questions here.

It is good for everyone to see it here so we can all read the answers, but it may not get you the quickest response. I've called them a few times about issues and had the answer in less than a couple minutes.

(BTW - one benefit of a small company, you can actually talk to them!)

Quote Originally Posted by dongustav
    Question for the informed:

do we keep the links & shock, or send them back? The email notification from Niner when i submitted the case online says this (i bolded for emphasis):

"1. Disassemble frame. Box up and send back frame with shock and links. Do NOT include any other components."

So what do we send, front & rear triangles stripped down or complete frameset with links & shock etc?
    That probably should read "1. Disassemble BIKE..."

The rest of it is very clear
    mtbtires.com

COMBO - President
    Woohoo! case number 1140 just got the mailing label!

banned
    Sep 2007

May I quote you?

banned
    Sep 2007
    If I choose option 1 : Jet9 seat tube is 30.9 whereas Air9 is 31.6 = need a new seatpost = an additional $100-$125 (Thompson 410 mm)

Pffft, I just picked one up used for my AIR 9 for $40.... get to work on the internet, and grab one now, at a discount.

banned
    Sep 2007
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post6107178 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_6107178>Just to be clear.

The new Jet 9 will include a new headset. You will be able to use your current 1 /18 fork (adpter will be included) or you can use a tapered fork (bearings and race included).

Most major fork makers will be offering 2010 29er forks in the 80-100mm travel range in a tapered version. The new Jet 9 will take advantage of this and will be forward compatable.

Our main concern is to keep you riding. In a perfect world we would like to offer these forks to customers at a discount but we believe we are being fair with the current offers.

We have been getting a few requests from customers to get an Air 9 Carbon. Again our main concern is to keep you riding and the Air 9 Carbon will not be ready for delivery for a while, so this will not be an option.

Thanks for all your support during this time. It is nice for all of us a Niner Bikes to read the positive comments posted. It make what we do here real.

Chris & Steve
    Niner Bikes

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Option 3, for those that have the patience of a Saint, and are willing to wait for their new Jet 9.... perhaps add to that an Option 4 for the value of their time lost riding... offer the new jet as a direct replacement, and the option to buy a Carbon AIR 9 at a deep discount, same time next year, after dealers orders are completely filled? Keep in mind, these people are willing to wait. Then again, perhaps it would be cool to see the Niner Carbon AIR 9 in the Winners Circle early in the racing season?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0