Niner Longevity, especially RKT9?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Niner Longevity, especially RKT9?

Hello,

Currently considering getting my first Niner, the RKT9 RDO. The bike will be for xc racin and Marathon xc races.

When googling reviews for the rkt bike, i saw an alarming number of internet articles and posts about cracked niner carbon frames. Those posts seemed to be more for the Air, Jet and Rip models as i did not see any specific posts or stories on rkt failures.

A call to a local niner dealer that also carries specialized had the emplyee tell me: “in the 4 years we have been selling niner we have had more cracked frames back here than we have had with specilized and we have been a specialized dealer for over 20 years.”

He then went on to say that supposedly those problems were with 2012ish to 2014ish frames and supposedly Niner has changed the carbon process to increase longevity but he is not sure if it worked.

For those of you Niner riders i was wondering:

How would you rate the quality and longevity of newer 2017 niner frames?

If you have a rkt9 rdo how do you like it, and have you had any issues with it?

I am just concerned with the amount of cracked niner threads i see and would hate to dnf in a 100 miler due to a frame issue. Plus dropping that amount of money on a frame if longevity is not good is another reason.

I know all frames no matter the material can potentially fail, it just seems like niner pops up more frequently.

Thanks,
    Jon
    2009 Trek Fuel EX8 Black/White

SPECIALizED
    I have a '17 Jet 9 RDO with close to 3k miles on it. I ride the crap out of it but also maintain it. I've had no problems and wouldn't hesitate to pick up another Niner.

mtbr member
    A call to a local niner dealer that also carries specialized had the emplyee tell me: “in the 4 years we have been selling niner we have had more cracked frames back here than we have had with specilized and we have been a specialized dealer for over 20 years.”
    I had two carbon specialized enduro SL's and broke both. I've seen everything break, carbon, aluminum, steel, titanium. It all breaks eventually. With that being said I am currently awaiting the arrival of my first carbon niner from (2017 rip) and I too am nervous.

But I'm not going on 100 mile races, or dropping huge coin for race fees and chasing a points series so I can understand your apprehension.

Id like to think the people that buy niners are people who are going to ride their bikes and have done the research (like you have) and are the same people that will use/abuse their bikes and be willing to report issues.

I have seen several $7-8K specialized sold and ridden three times a year. It's a big brand blanketing campaign. The more bikes they sell the less issues you'll hear about.

I take solace in the 5 year warranty. If I wanted better than that it would have had to have been ibis or santa cruz and I'd rather have another niner since I know I like the suspension.

If you do buy the RKT and have issues please report back!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    How long do you plan on keeping the frame? I owned a RKT for a short period of time. I too was concerned about the carbon longevity and "quality".

I had an issue with a Niner frame years back with paint coming off way too easily. Being my first experience with carbon fiber, I went back to steel frames. This year I bought the RKT and the frame finish seemed much more durable. What I didn't realize when I bought it was how much I was concerned about the carbon pressfit bottom bracket. Keep in mind I never actually had any issue with it, it was just in my head. So I ended up selling the bike. Not completely rational, but since I got what I paid for it, no $$$ lost either.

If Niner's 5 year warranty is long enough to cover you, you're not really at risk. But I was intending to keep the bike beyond that so that kind of prompted the sale. The RKT frame is gorgeous and high quality. But I'd go for a Jet because of the threaded bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy lasted 4 Months. Was my second broken niner. First Rip9 lasted 5.5 years, just out of warranty. At least my second niner (the 2017) snapped so quickly niner warrantied it....But will never ride a niner again. Just my personal experience and opinion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the input everyone.

I always plan to keep my bikes forever, but usually something catches my eye a few years later.

I am located in the Chicagoland area, so I really could get by with a hardtail.
    Jensonusa has the rkt9 with slx for only $659 dollars more than i can buy an aluminum scott scale hardtail with full xt for locally.

This is what prompted the rkt thought.

I am primarily a roadie thats why i have not replaced my 09 ex8.
    I own a caad10, carbon madone and a titanium moots for the road, and an aluminum scott big jon fat bike.

I know that all bikes can fail, i am just apprehensive on riding carbon off road.
    2009 Trek Fuel EX8 Black/White

mtbr member
    If you're apprehensive about carbon then avoid it and sleep better. I don't think there's any debate with modern carbon and offroad worthiness - it's a proven material for MTB frames and wheels. But I don't think of carbon as a "forever" material like ti and steel.

Buy it, use it for a half-dozen years, then toss it in the recycle bin with your plastic water bottles. That's how I look at carbon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    My 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy lasted 4 Months. Was my second broken niner. First Rip9 lasted 5.5 years, just out of warranty. At least my second niner (the 2017) snapped so quickly niner warrantied it....But will never ride a niner again. Just my personal experience and opinion.
    Out of curiosity; Where did the alloy jet 9 break?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The crappy thing is Niner builds awesome Bikes..... you wouldn’t have to search much to find plenty of dissatisfied customers when it comes to warranty issues. I was once a loyal Niner rider but decided to pick up an Evil after my last go-round with them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBorracho62 View Post
    The crappy thing is Niner builds awesome Bikes..... you wouldn’t have to search much to find plenty of dissatisfied customers when it comes to warranty issues. I was once a loyal Niner rider but decided to pick up an Evil after my last go-round with them.
    Agree 100%