Niner headset and seat clamp quality- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Niner headset and seat clamp quality

Just got my first Niner frameset today, a SIR 9. Beautiful frame!

What’s the general quality of the headset and seat collars that come with Niner bikes?

The headset seems ok, but the seat collar looks thin and flimsy.

I’d rather spec to better quality parts now, if needed, than find out later.

Worth keeping either component?

Thanks!

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I have a 2017 Jet and my wife has a 2015 RIP, and we’ve not had any issue with these components on our bikes. I had the seat collar off last nite to install a new dropper. It is admittedly very light weight, but is very good quality. Compared to the 100% molten lead Surly branded one on my Pugsley, the Niner one must be at least 600 g lighter, but holds the seatpost in place just the same.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    I have a 2017 Jet and my wife has a 2015 RIP, and we’ve not had any issue with these components on our bikes. I had the seat collar off last nite to install a new dropper. It is admittedly very light weight, but is very good quality. Compared to the 100% molten lead Surly branded one on my Pugsley, the Niner one must be at least 600 g lighter, but holds the seatpost in place just the same.
    Good to hear.

Yeah, the collar is light! Before I took it off, I was flicking it with my finger and I was thinking it was some type of hard plastic.

Thanks!

Chilling out
    2017 RIP9, no real issues with either, one caveat - that being I had the headset lower bearing cartridge wear out ... water/crud ingress ... and took a little finagling to get it out of the race. Replaced it with a stock bearing from Real World Cycling w/o major hassle and it's been fine. I could not find a link on Niner's site to get only the lower bearing which is why I went to RWC. The RWC replacement was a TIGHT fit into the race, dunno if it's coming back out, but I'll burn that bridge if I have to in another 2-3 years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    2017 RIP9, no real issues with either, one caveat - that being I had the headset lower bearing cartridge wear out ... water/crud ingress ... and took a little finagling to get it out of the race. Replaced it with a stock bearing from Real World Cycling w/o major hassle and it's been fine. I could not find a link on Niner's site to get only the lower bearing which is why I went to RWC. The RWC replacement was a TIGHT fit into the race, dunno if it's coming back out, but I'll burn that bridge if I have to in another 2-3 years.
    Thanks for this.

My LBS is big on using Enduro bearings. I may as well get the lower cartridge changed when they build the bike up.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by steinercat View Post
    Thanks for this.

My LBS is big on using Enduro bearings. I may as well get the lower cartridge changed when they build the bike up.
    If it's all new, my advice is use the stock bearing first. You've already paid for it. I'm NOT gentle to this bike and it spent from Sep '16 until June '19 with the stock bearing, and most of that in NE PA. Lots of rough and wet, and more days at lift served riding than it deserved. Now, if/when that wears out, sure, go Enduro.

FWIW, I believe Niner uses Enduro bearings at all the pivots.