Niner crash replacement/Warranty- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Niner crash replacement/Warranty

I have a green and black Jet 9 RDO that I purchased less than a year ago. I love it and really want to continue to love Niner Bikes. However, I crashed a while back and put a little dent on the drive side of the rear chain stay. I fully admit that I crashed and simply want to replace the rear triangle. Realize that I only crashed once. Just once! I have contacted Niner twice and have gone threw the shop that I purchased it at (a month and half has gone by). I was told by both the shop and Niner that they do not have the rear triangle in green and black and that I could only get the triangle in gray and black. I find this unbelievable! How do you not support a bike that is less than a year old? Like I said I really love the bike and am super disappointed in Niner and there support for there frames. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Disappointed in Dillon

mtbr member
    Why not get the grey/black and have it resprayed?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Not a bad idea. I will look into the cost of it. At 500 bucks for the rear triangle the addition cost of regelcoating may be more than my wallet can handle.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You might have bought the bike a year ago but they discontinued that color a couple of years ago. It's not unreasonable to think that they won't carry specific colors for decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious. :D

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Not unreasonable. But the bike is not decades old. It may be a model from 2013 bought in 2014. Not gonna argue with that. But still, 2 years is a far cry from a decade and well within there warranty. And if they won't support the color. Whats the point. Maybe they should pay to paint the damn thing because there sourcing department screwed up. I payed top dollar for a product that I thought would be supported by a small, colorado proud, stand up company. Just looking for solutions.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    We had a warranty white one come through the shop. They replaced it with a while new updated version of the frame. That seems like pretty good warranty support to me. See if they have a neutral color like black?
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious. :D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhelman View Post
    Not unreasonable. But the bike is not decades old. It may be a model from 2013 bought in 2014.

I thought would be supported by a small, colorado proud, stand up company. .
    Exactly... small company... can't afford to have excess frame stock lying around.
    The market demands a change in colour/axle/material every model year....

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I know. I ranted. My bad. Had a few beers and we'll ya know... I'm really just looking for other people's suggestions and/or experiences, to see if anone else has had this happen to them, and maybe, a chime in from Niner telling me what I should do. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Tried that. Only black with gray. :-(

mtbr member
    If it makes you feel any better, even sourcing just a rear triangle is like trying to get hen's teeth in every other country....
    While Niner is small... it's international distros are usually smaller

mtbr member
    Also a crash replacement is not the same as a warranty replacement so can't really compare the two.

mtbr member
    Color matching 2yr old broken frame parts has always been a problem with Cannondale in my experience.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Bummer. I did the exact same thing on the non-drive side. Carbon does not to well on direct impact especially in those chain stay areas.

Sucks to get a mismatched bike too. I'd hope they could help you find some kind of solution to help you out, but I'd agree they are not responsible to match your rear end. Its a reasonably aged frame that is no longer produced. My guess is all remaining stock is gone.. Even just making the back end a full matching black without the Niner logo would be preferable to an entirely different color.

Your other option is to have the carbon repair. Check out: Carbon Fiber Bike Repair | Ruckus Composites

They have worked on Niners and can match the paint for far less than the $500-600 it costs to replace the triangle. I was going to go this route, but decided I might sell the Niner and just didn't feel right selling a carbon replaired frame without disclosing it and didn't want to take the hit to the price I could get.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I don't think I have ever noticed the color of my rear triangle while riding. It is a mountain bike, fix it and ride it, get some mud and dirt on it.
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.

mtbr member
    Let me get this straight, you crashed the bike and got a small dent in the rear chain stay, so you contacted Niner and they told you a rear triangle in different color would cost $500 OTD and they would give this to you for that price?

As posted previously, I would seek repair options from Calfee or other carbon repair shops. Think a repair with exact color matching would cost at best less and at worst the same.

I saw that you like the original color combo. If repair is not something you desire this might be good time to get the the whole frame resprayed in a custom color since you will have to take it all down for either option.

Third option (if dent is truly small) is to ride it as is and see how it holds up. A small dent may not be structural, maybe get someone who works with composites to look at it for opinion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I had a broken, rear aluminum triangle replaced by Specialized under a limited, lifetime warranty many years ago at their expense. It was a different color, but I was very happy they readily replaced it. The color matched the trim color on the main frame, so the overall color of the bike still looked pretty good. Nowdays they have a limited, lifetime warranty on the main frames, but five years on the chain and seat stays.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Whether or not the frame was broken by a crash or just a warranty issue, Niner should have replacement parts if they are going to offer a 5 year warranty.

mtbr member
    @Epiphreddy.... Niner will replace Old for New under their 5 year warranty... something the larger companies won't do!
    I had a Big S singlespeed frameset and had to wait months while they dusted off some NOS out of a storage shed in the USA and shipped it to Australia

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Acko View Post
    @Epiphreddy.... Niner will replace Old for New under their 5 year warranty... something the larger companies won't do!
    I had a Big S singlespeed frameset and had to wait months while they dusted off some NOS out of a storage shed in the USA and shipped it to Australia
    Yes, Niner's warranty process is 2nd to none. I have had 5 of them replaced when the seat tube(s) (Jet RDO) and top tube (Rip RDO) cracked. But in the case of a "crash" as in the original post, you have to purchase a different color rear triangle??? Or can you purchase a full frame at a reduced cost, and what is that cost? If it were me, I would have requested a "warranty" replacement and left it at that.

Climbs = necessary evil
    My wife is replacing her green/black JET9 RDO frame right now. There were cracks in the top tube as well as rear triangle. They looked at the photos the shop sent in and said the top tube was impact related but the rear triangle was warrantable. Since they didn't have a matching rear triangle, they are providing a full frame replacement. We were surprised too that they didn't have a rear triangle, but the fact that they are replacing the whole frame is AWESOME!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    Yes, Niner's warranty process is 2nd to none. I have had 5 of them replaced when the seat tube(s) (Jet RDO) and top tube (Rip RDO) cracked. But in the case of a "crash" as in the original post, you have to purchase a different color rear triangle??? Or can you purchase a full frame at a reduced cost, and what is that cost? If it were me, I would have requested a "warranty" replacement and left it at that.
    How are you breaking so many frames?

3LH
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alias530 View Post
    how are you breaking so many frames?
    i
    i
    Last edited by 3LH; 08-23-2015 at 01:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LH View Post
    Its not on how "he" is breaking so many frames, it is just a Niner bike and that is how it is.....
    They break a lot?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    They break a lot?
    No more than any other brand..... for every jaded post about a broken one, there are a thousand riders out there just shredding and loving life

mtbr member
    May 2011
    No more than any other brand..... for every jaded post about a broken one, there are a thousand riders out there just shredding and loving life
    I've heard of more Jet9/air9 breakages here and elsewhere than I've seen with other major brands, but that's only my opinion/observation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    I've heard of more Jet9/air9 breakages here and elsewhere than I've seen with other major brands, but that's only my opinion/observation.
    A very scientific way of collecting data...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    A very scientific way of collecting data...
    Note the "my opinion/observation" part.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Can anyone explain what their understanding is of Niner's c5 warranty with regards to damage caused by a riding incident, i.e. rock strike, crash etc?

The warranty page from the Niner site is a little unclear about what is covered, but it does say that it "is only valid for bicycles damaged under normal use", but not reckless actions and normal wear and tear.

Does a stray rock flicking up and denting the frame, or a crash impact constitute damage under normal use? It is certainly not normal wear and tear IMO.
    I don't do any of the things in red text that are not covered.

The crash replacement program seems to indicate by way of their example of driving the bike into a garage roof that the crash replacement (20% discount) is for non-riding related damage to the frame, or other causes not covered by the full 5 yr repair/replace warranty.
    Thought? Experience?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rayninaces View Post
    Can anyone explain what their understanding is of Niner's c5 warranty with regards to damage caused by a riding incident, i.e. rock strike, crash etc?

The warranty page from the Niner site is a little unclear about what is covered, but it does say that it "is only valid for bicycles damaged under normal use", but not reckless actions and normal wear and tear.

Does a stray rock flicking up and denting the frame, or a crash impact constitute damage under normal use? It is certainly not normal wear and tear IMO.
    I don't do any of the things in red text that are not covered.

The crash replacement program seems to indicate by way of their example of driving the bike into a garage roof that the crash replacement (20% discount) is for non-riding related damage to the frame, or other causes not covered by the full 5 yr repair/replace warranty.
    Thought? Experience?
    Yes I am thinking of purchasing a jet or rip 9.
    Bad or great customer service? Other problems?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerva1 View Post
    Yes I am thinking of purchasing a jet or rip 9.
    Bad or great customer service? Other problems?
    I've always had really good results dealing with them. But as a dealer I also don't try to have them warranty frames that clearly aren't manufacturing defects. I've had a couple of customers use the crash replacement and they were pleased with the experience. As for issues, the jets had a problem a few years ago with seat tubes cracking but they fixed it pretty quickly. I do still see a few of those older jets come through but I think they have mostly been weeded out by now. The carbon compaction frames have been really durable. The way I see it, all brands have issues from time to time and Niner is all about satisfying customers.