Niner carbon XC wheels?- Mtbr.com
    I like turtles

Niner carbon XC wheels?

Anyone have these? Site says 28 hole but pic shows 32. Weight on site is ~1740....seems portly for a set of carbon rims laced to DT350s...they aren't super wide. Just looking for opinions/info on the latest version of these.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    This post is almost a year old but thought I would comment since I have been running two sets of these wheels for a while.

The Niner carbon rims came both with my RKT 9 RDO and my prior generation Air 9 RDO. They did not come taped, so I taped them with Gorilla Tape and set up one set with Maxxis tires (Ikon and Ardent Race in 3C EXO config) and the others with Schwalbe's (Rocket Ron and Rapid Rob). The Maxxis tires were a tight fit and more challenges to mount tubeless but ultimately worked well once seated. I think a thinner rim tape would help such as Stan's tape or the new red tape ENVE has switched to.

On the trail they felt very good, seem to be reasonably compliant but still plenty stiff. In truth I really didn't notice them, which is probably a good thing. I've had no durability issues and they have stayed true.

As noted, the main criticism is the weight. Many current carbon wheel sets are significantly lighter such as ENVE m525, Stans Podium SRD, or DTSwiss XMC1200.

Having some aspirations to do some longer endurance races next season, I recently switched out the Niner wheels on my RKT to a set of ENVE m525's. The ENVE's set up tubelessly very easily but I think the thin red tape they are now using does help the tire seat easily. Unfortunately our weather has been really wet so I haven't got many miles on the ENVE's yet, but the lighter weight is immediately notable.

Ultimately if you can get the Niner's either with the bike at a good price, or fairly cheap as a wheel set, I think they are still a reasonable option. However with lighter sets out there at good prices, I might be inclined to look elsewhere for aftermarket wheels.

I like turtles
    Zombie thread! I ended up getting the 5-star RKT last October with their house-brand "XC" wheels. Yes, nice wheels, ride great. Yes, heavier/stouter than a typical "XC" setup but that's fine. 1750g or so is a lot for a carbon wheelset to me but they are somewhat stout and that's fine. The Bike is setup with a 120 fork, dropper, and 4-piston brakes so it's already a little rowdier than a typical "XC" bike (which is what I wanted) so these wheels match that use well.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF