Niner Bio-Centric EBB - taking pre-orders now- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Niner Bio-Centric EBB - taking pre-orders now

We are now taking pre-orders for the new Niner Bio-Centric EBB! A few of these from our first production run are being air shipped to us for quickest delivery. Colors available include black, red, silver and blue anodized. See your nearest Niner dealer for pre-order or visit the Niner Bikes online store to order. Eighty dollar retail. This new system retrofits any Niner One9 or SIR9 ever made, and all new SIR9 / One9 frames arriving in January will come stock with a black Bio-Centric EBB if you are looking to purchase a new Niner. This new system weighs just 117 grams with stainless steel 6mm bolt making it the lightest system on the market by far.

Below you can read some information on our new Bio-Centric EBB design.

No more creaks,
    No more ovalized EBB shells,
    No more debate about which system is the best.

Niner’s new Bio-Centric bottom bracket system eliminates ALL of the issues with any eccentric bottom bracket system in an amazingly simple way: It’s a two piece design.

One of the Bio-Centric’s cups goes into the frame on the driveside of a normal 68mm EBB shell. The other goes into the frame on the non-drive side. There is an offset bolt that goes in from the non-drive side cup and threads into the drive side cup. The combination of this offset bolt, and the close tolerance of the Bio-Centric cup’s internal fit means that the threads for the bottom bracket line up automatically. Rotate one cup around the EBB shell, and the other will rotate with it, keeping the threads for the bottom bracket aligned. Any minor mis-alignment of these threads will be corrected once the bottom bracket and cranks are installed.

The final part of the puzzle, the one that solves all of the current EBB problems are the flanges on the outside of the Bio-Centric’s cups. These flanges go ALL the way around the EBB shell, and clamp down against the side wall of the shell as the offset bolt is tightened. By using the sides of the shell to secure the EBB, Niner eliminates ANY possibility of ovalizing the EBB shell - one of the plaguing problems of current EBB systems. In addition, by having 360 of contact around the EBB shell, the Bio-Centric’s cups SEAL the EBB from dirt and grime which are the number one cause of creaking in other EBB systems. This seal also keeps moisture out of the system which is the key to noiseless EBB operation.

The Bio-Centric EBB has gone through over a year and a half of real world and simulated fatigue testing before we finalized the design, including a brutal CEN chain torque fatigue simulation test that put the Bio-Centric through its paces. The new EBB design went 100,000 cycles with no slipping or breakage.

Simple, light, and strong, we feel like the Bio-Centric is the perfect solution to chain tensioning needs. With one 6mm hex wrench, the EBB can be adjusted on the fly and in the field, and it’s still the lightest EBB system on the market at 117 grams.

Welcome to the new standard in EBB design, the Niner Bio-Centric EBB.

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2melow; 12-07-2008 at 11:58 PM.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Birthday Collector
    I was checking that out on the Annadel ride the day after Thanksgiving - Ryan had one on his SIR9 and it looked pretty nice! Very clean and nicely finished... Now - do I get one soon for my bike, or just wait awhile and get a new SIR9 with that piece in the BB...?
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

Moderator Moderator
    Hey Guys,

I'd also like to add that the "windows" are now on the backside on production EBB's so there won't be a dirt/mud collection spot.

Thanks,

Brett
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    Am I correct in assuming that my 68mm BB (SKF ISIS) will need to be upgraded to a 73mm?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Online Store

Brett,

I don't see anything on your online store page.

Can you send me a link as to where I can pre-order?

Thanks.
    Tim

mtbr member
    When is the estimated ship date on these. I pre ordered one on the 15th and have all the other parts to build my SIR9 but wanted to do it with the new EBB.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by coolj01
    When is the estimated ship date on these. I pre ordered one on the 15th and have all the other parts to build my SIR9 but wanted to do it with the new EBB.
    My LBS told me January.

mtbr member
    thats sucks...im dying looking at my unfinished sir9...its calling for the dirt and dust of the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by coolj01
    thats sucks...im dying looking at my unfinished sir9...its calling for the dirt and dust of the trail.
    Just go for it; pulling the cranks, removing the BB, and swapping the EBB is a quickie.

Get that SIR9 out on the trail!

mtbr member
    This EBB seems strange to me. If you have an ISIS or Square tapper BB. The BB has to be loosened to adjust the EBB right?

Keep on Rockin...

Eta?

I've always wanted a One 9 but the EBB scared me off. If this new design is the real deal I'm ready to pull the trigger. It does seem to address a lot of the problem areas with existing designs.

How much time has been spent riding these out in the field, in water and mud?

What's the ETA on these new frames/BBs?

Will the One 9 be available in Raw?

fux
    Scooterist
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch66
    This EBB seems strange to me. If you have an ISIS or Square tapper BB. The BB has to be loosened to adjust the EBB right?
    I would like to get an answer on that too.
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have a 68mm Phil Wood BB that would be useless with the 09 frames? new EBB or not?

fux
    Scooterist
    The SS bikes still keep their respective 68mm BB shell. Its just the EBB that builds up the extra.
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch66
    No loosening necessary. Traditional BB's thread into the shell from the drive side. On the non-drive side you thread in a dust cover/support that contacts the BB with a slip-joint that has plenty of lateral slack.

mtbr member
    Will this be compatible with a Singular Swift SS?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar
    Will this be compatible with a Singular Swift SS?
    I don't think so, the diameter of the Niner EBB shell is bigger than the Swift.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    what diameter EBB shell is needed for this to work? (trying to discover if it will work in a Van Nicholas ebb shell(which I think is for a Bushnell ebb).

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    what diameter EBB shell is needed for this to work? (trying to discover if it will work in a Van Nicholas ebb shell(which I think is for a Bushnell ebb).
    Hi Clink,

It's made to fit the shell diameter of 55mm - width must be 68mm.

Cheers,

Brett
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    when will they be available to order?

mtbr member
    I am also interested. Please PM me if possible. I've had some issues with my stock EBB and just had to buy a new one because it wouldn't stay put (kept sliding). Thanks
    "The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error." -Frank Herbert

mtbr member
    I just tried to measure the shell of my Swift, not very precisely as I couldn't remove the cranks right now, but it seems to be close to 55mm. Anyone can confirm this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've got a SC Chameleon and have had some issues with its EBB. Will Niner's EBB work with this bike as well?

From SC's website:

"The Chameleon uses a 68mm bottom bracket shell, and a 50-51mm chainline. Pretty much any of the newer external bottom bracket cranks will mount up without issue. The Truvativ stylo and shimano Deore XT are our favorites. If you are using an ISIS setup, you need a 68x113mm bottom bracket."

I've had no luck finding what the bikes shell diameter is...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    When installing the new EBB, should I remove the paint from the sides of the bottom bracket shell? The head tube on my sir9 is clean, but there is an even coat of paint on both sides of the BB shell. I believe this was a non-issue with the "old" Niner EBB because it is completely within the shell. I guess I am wondering if this will make a difference when it comes to alignment of the outboard bearings or am I just over thinking this?

mtbr member
    Any estimated date when these will be coming out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pkBadger
    When installing the new EBB, should I remove the paint from the sides of the bottom bracket shell? The head tube on my sir9 is clean, but there is an even coat of paint on both sides of the BB shell. I believe this was a non-issue with the "old" Niner EBB because it is completely within the shell. I guess I am wondering if this will make a difference when it comes to alignment of the outboard bearings or am I just over thinking this?
    One would think that the shell would need to be faced enough to at least remove the paint. I'm interested to know as well...
    "The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error." -Frank Herbert

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Is there a torque figure for the tensioning bolt?
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Bio-Centric news

Hey all.

We are recommending some facing of the old shells for use with the new EBB. Removal of the paint layer is whats needed. We have used a perfectly flat sanding block we have around here as there is no real facing tool for the larger EBB shells. The flatter the better to make sure that the two ends of the shell are as parallel as can be. The new frames that come with the Bio-Centric EBB will be faced at the factory.

We will be sending instructions with the Bio-Centric EBBs to help out as well.

Torque spec for the new Bio-Centric is 130 in.-lbs. We should be getting them in any day now. Ive been harassing the delivery guy every day asking where our packages are.

Brian
    ---------------------------------

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    So what is 130in.-lbs in Nm? Just asking as I have a Ritchey torque key which is handy for the existing EBB. Also, is there a worthwhile weight saving over the old EBB?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    So what is 130in.-lbs in Nm? Just asking as I have a Ritchey torque key which is handy for the existing EBB. Also, is there a worthwhile weight saving over the old EBB?
    14.7 Nm

http://www.unitconversion.org/energy...onversion.html

Feb 2009
    Can anyone tell me how the ebb stops itself from loosning itself off, I can see the concept of the wedge pushing out on the inside of the shell but am i right in saying that its just relying on the two outside edges being squeesed together with the one 6mm bolt? I have a Santa Cruz Chameleon with the ebb and its painted where i presume the tightning presure comes from, An earler post was saying the niner frames are the same. surely for this system to work properly it would need to be machined. I can imagine the paint flakeing allowing the ebb to turn and allowing mud/water in. Hope i'm wrong as I like the sound of what is says it can do. I havn't had a problem with the Santa Cruzs' wedge yet i'm dredding it ever happening, My front brake had a intermitent squeek the other day and it was driving me mad!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    cost?

edit: nevermind, $80 retail
    Last edited by banksd1983; 02-12-2009 at 12:40 AM.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Just got an email indicating my order is currently being fulfilled. Hopefully I'll see it next week sometime...will let ya know when it arrives.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i got one today and i'm having a hard time believing it weighs less than the old system on my one9. Anyone have a weight of the standard EBB?

mtbr member
    Can I use this new EBB on my Air 9? I have it set up SS with a magic gear but I'd like a some more flexibility for gearing.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlr40
    Can I use this new EBB on my Air 9? I have it set up SS with a magic gear but I'd like a some more flexibility for gearing.

No, the AIR9 uses a standard BB shell, the Bio-Centric requires a 55mm bb shell.

Brett
    Niner Bikes

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by banksd1983
    i got one today and i'm having a hard time believing it weighs less than the old system on my one9. Anyone have a weight of the standard EBB?
    They are basically the same weight, the new system is about 10 grams heavier with the stainless steel bolt though. Replace with TI and they are roughly the same at 115-120 grams.

Cheers,

Brett
    Niner Bikes

Moderator Moderator
    Here are the pics and installation instructions (posted to the above link, but here too just in case they get buried)

Thanks,

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ok, I just read the installation instructions and have one question. I'm currently running an XT crankset. Should I run the non-drive crank arm without a spacer and use one on the drive side? I wasn't sure if it would be ok to run the crank without the spacer.

c

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by carter1
    Ok, I just read the installation instructions and have one question. I'm currently running an XT crankset. Should I run the non-drive crank arm without a spacer and use one on the drive side? I wasn't sure if it would be ok to run the crank without the spacer.

c
    Yup.

Check the service instruction on this page: http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...=1181300553291

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Dang, my black one is on the way. 'Should've gotten the blue...that'd look so perty on my Tang SIR9...especially with my blue CK headset...oh well...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fogerson
    Yup.

Check the service instruction on this page: http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...=1181300553291
    Thank you very much.
    c

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    The masses want green ano...

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    The masses want green ano...
    QFT

Also, how about different colored sides, a la King mix and match headsets. Some people might appreciate having a different colored EBB on each side!

mtbr member

Any reviews now these are in play?

Bump this thread---any reviews??
    i am a human derailleur

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just installed mine yesterday.

However, since the trails here are a muddy mess I only tried a 10 minute neighborhood shakedown cruise which of course in no way replicates what they'll get on the trail.

The install was simple & Niner's instructions were easy to follow. Now let's hope the thing works & doesn't slip on me like the set-screw system did.

Anyone have some trail time on this new EBB?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have sanded the paint off as evenly as possible, but it does not all want to come off without taking some steel. I believe that the bottom bracket shell is not exactly parallel on the edges. Is this really a big deal? I would love to hear from Niner. How exact is this process??? When the new EBB is torqued, will the slight imperfections hide or become exaggerated? Thanks for any info, guys!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm Facing SIR Nine - Non Drive Side

Hi,

I noticed the non drive side of the BB is un-even due to production in-perfections. I am unable to face all the paint off without having to remove ~.25 mm of the outer shell. Should I be more concerned about the BB width tolerance or is close enough good enough - considering the paint that remains may not touch the EBB?

Thanks.

Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Nothing to with Bio BB

I got my 'DogFish' beer cap installed on the headset. It took a few tries before I was able to remove a beer cap without causing damaging. Looks pretty sweet.

Who was the genius who thought of this? Absolute brilliance.

Probably the same folks who brought us the Bio? Kudos

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I installed mine today on the SIR9.

I was able to face the shell clean except for near where the old set screw nuts are welded on. I guess that the metal shrinks a little in that area during the welding process.

All in all, an easy install. I was a bit stunned by how easy the EBB turned, while torqued to spec, when I was tightening my BB cubs. 'Think I was able to get the cups tight enough...

I put a some tape on the shell aligned with the white marker on the EBB to see if this thing turns or not when I get it out (hopefully) tomorrow. We'll see...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Bio C Feedback

Have ~5 hours on the bike using the new Bio BB without a creak or slippage (at spec'd torque setting). I have ~ 6K of mountain climbing in dry conditions.

Took the day off and am going for a longer ride and will let you know if I hear a creak(s).

So far so good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Good job! Bio-Feedback

~9 hours, a lot of climbing. No creak or slippage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Mine (09 One9) is torqued to the required setting, but stll slips a little each ride. I want to tighten it a little more, but don't want to damage anything. Will have to try something because there is slippage even on just a half hour ride. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pkBadger
    I have sanded the paint off as evenly as possible, but it does not all want to come off without taking some steel. I believe that the bottom bracket shell is not exactly parallel on the edges. Is this really a big deal? I would love to hear from Niner. How exact is this process??? When the new EBB is torqued, will the slight imperfections hide or become exaggerated? Thanks for any info, guys!

Sorry for being late to answer this. It is not an issue if the entire surface does not make contact with the Bio-EBB.

Chris
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russmu66
    Mine (09 One9) is torqued to the required setting, but stll slips a little each ride. I want to tighten it a little more, but don't want to damage anything. Will have to try something because there is slippage even on just a half hour ride. Any suggestions?

The torque setting listed on the Bio-EBB is a reccomendation. You can go a bit higher or lower without issue.

Chris
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I finally got my first ride in on the SIR9 with the new EBB.

Well...

With it torqued to spec, it slipped A LOT after a few moderate climbs and with in the first 1/4 mile. Oh-oh...

So I re-adjusted it and tightened it as much as I could with my multi-tool. A few more moderate climbs and another 1/4 mile, it slipped again...but just a little bit this time.

So I completely loosened it, spun it back and forth a few times, and again tightened it as much as I could with my multi-tool.

After that, not even a tiny slip ('have a piece of tape on the shell lined up with the white hash mark to keep an eye on it). The thing worked as advertised, even through much harder climbs than what made it slip before (and I was trying to abuse the BB). And, without PTFE, grease, or anything, not a single squeak or creak.

I'm not sure what the magic was that third time or what I didn't do the first two...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    They are basically the same weight, the new system is about 10 grams heavier with the stainless steel bolt though. Replace with TI and they are roughly the same at 115-120 grams.

Cheers,

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    thanks, now what's the size of the stock stainless steel bolt?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

2nd Ride...

Well, the issues I had Friday seemed to be resolved. Spent another couple hours on the SS today...no slip, no creak, no squeak...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    what size is the bolt? I'm going to see if i can hunt down a Ti version of one

mtbr member

more to come?

Niner store indicates all colors are out of stock. Any ideas when the next batch will become available?
    Thanks,
    M

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by banksd1983
    what size is the bolt? I'm going to see if i can hunt down a Ti version of one

A2-70 bolt size.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    A2-70 bolt size.

PM or email me if you want to buy one from one of my dealers that purchased these for stock. We have a few shops that did buy a handful.

Thanks,

Brett
    Last edited by 2melow; 03-26-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by idaz
    Niner store indicates all colors are out of stock. Any ideas when the next batch will become available?
    Thanks,
    M
    Also, we have a few PINK ano we did if anyone is interested. Email [email protected] if you want one of these.

Thanks,

Brett

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I gave my new SIR 9 it's first real test this weekend (65 miles in Pisgah). No slips, no noise, really easy to install and adjust. Great job again Niner!
    c

mtbr member
    and the rest of the colors?
    I'd take a pink but silver would be smooth on my SIR

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Just installed mine on my old SIR9.

The previous EBB was covered in dings from the set screws and would no longer hold an exact position because it always wanted to slop into one of the previous holes. I also found it very hard to adjust for chain tension, and had rounded out one of the set screws.

The new EBB rocks!

Very simple to install and -- best of all -- absolutely simple to adjust for chain tension. Love love love it. Haven't given it a proper ride yet but you can just see how much more solid it is than the old one. This is a great piece of kit.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Ballstein Models
    ordered one today from bike29. gonna try this on my soul cycles dillinger. the ebb shell measures a tick over 55mm by my calipers. should be back by the weekend witha report.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by hogprint
    ordered one today from bike29. gonna try this on my soul cycles dillinger. the ebb shell measures a tick over 55mm by my calipers. should be back by the weekend witha report.
    Any updates on this? I'm very much interested on how the Bio-centric fits with other manufacturer's frames. I'm thinking of having a custom builder make me an EBB, SS-specific frame, and then order and slap on a Bio-centric.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    Any updates on this? I'm very much interested on how the Bio-centric fits with other manufacturer's frames. I'm thinking of having a custom builder make me an EBB, SS-specific frame, and then order and slap on a Bio-centric.
    We have new builder kits. You can have your frame builder call us and we can sell them a bb shell and Bio-EBB to build your frame around. We have them for steel, 6000, 7000 aluminum and Sc.

We expect to have the builder kits and more Bio-EBB's in just a few weeks.

Chris
    Niner Bikes

Ballstein Models
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    Any updates on this?
    Yeah, sorry I forgot I posted this here as well. This thread has my report:

http://forums.mtbr.com//showthread.php?t=506719

mtbr member
    So, in order to use a standard bb (squaretaper/ISIS/Octalink), you have to have a 73mm version?

Does anyone have a picture of a biocentric with a standard bb installed? I would like to see how the 'shims' work and how the EBB can be adjusted (loosened and tightened) while the bottom bracket is installed.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Click on the link in the post above yours...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCast
    Click on the link in the post above yours...
    All I see in that thread is a Biocenteric with a Chris King BB installed.

http://forums.mtbr.com//showthread.php?t=506719&page=2

mtbr member

Anymore to be had??

Have '07 SIR that I want to upgrade to this EBB. Saw that the Niner site shows out of stock on all of these. Is there going to be a production run beginning any time soon or are there retailers out there who have them?? It's so dusty here in the desert southwest I can't tell. J
    i am a human derailleur

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jennytalia
    Have '07 SIR that I want to upgrade to this EBB. Saw that the Niner site shows out of stock on all of these. Is there going to be a production run beginning any time soon or are there retailers out there who have them?? It's so dusty here in the desert southwest I can't tell. J
    I ordered mine last week from webcyclery. I got it 3 days ago.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Does this work on a Ventana El Comandante? The measurements say yes. Just confirming. Anyone tried it?
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member

bio eccentric BB stuck............... enlighten me |thanks

I've got this new eccentric bb and when I tighten the bolt the cups press fit into the bottom bracket. At this point they are stuck in that position.

When i loosen the bolt the cups are stuck, and the Niner recommended BB adjustment states:

5. TENSION CHAIN - With the crank and bottom bracket properly installed
    it is time to set the chain tension using the EBB. Loosen the EBB tension
    bolt so that the EBB may be rotated. One of the easiest ways to rotate
    the EBB is by inserting a 6mm hex wrench into the hole on the Drive Side
    of the EBB. The wrench will slip between the spider arms of the crank,
    inside the chainring. Use the crank to rotate the EBB by bracing the wrench
    against the spider of the crank. Once the proper tension is acquired torque
    the tension bolt to 190 in-lbs.

The problem is that it takes a bit of FORCE and my cranks get gouged trying to use them as leverage. This design sucks if this is how it is suppose to work.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong????? I have a 2012 frame.

mtbr member
    I loosen my bottom bracket (external cups) slightly before adjusting my Niner EBB, otherwise that same thing happens to me.

Members who have read this thread: 0