Niner in 2020, what can we expect?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Niner in 2020, what can we expect?

Will we see any new or updated full suspension bikes? RKT and Jet are a bit dated. Will we see a new WFO?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Will we see any new or updated full suspension bikes? RKT and Jet are a bit dated. Will we see a new WFO?
    Regional Rep speculated that the RKT would be the next to get upgraded, as the Jet got a mid-cycle refresh two years back (internal routing and some other small things). He reserved the right to be completely wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I predict Niner will get out of the full suspension game and just go gravel and HT. I also reserve the right to be completely wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I predict Niner will get out of the full suspension game and just go gravel and HT. I also reserve the right to be completely wrong.
    That's why they just released a full suspension gravel bike....

BSB is gone. Gravel will remain as a primary focus.

RKT needs an update, 71 head angle (100mm fork) is out of date. They won't exit full suspension, mtb is now firmly rooted in full suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Iím not arguing that FS isnít here to stay. Just that Niner has fallen too far out of fashion. They still make good FS bikes, but do they sell?

Iíd be curious to know how well the Rip is selling. And more importantly, how many new to Niner buyers are there. Iíd venture most of the buyers are return Niner owners. How long can that last?

mtbr member
    What has happened to Niner? They don't seem to be that relevant anymore. It seems, they should be, more than ever now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The YouTubers/,Racers Syd and Mackey are now sponsored by Niner. Maybe we will get a better idea on what the future holds through them.

SPECIALizED
    I was getting some inside info from my local dealer but sadly he stopped carrying Niner because they don't sell. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Niner. My '17 Jet 9 RDO has been flawless.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I don't know about you guys but even dated geo's these bikes look damn good lol. I currently have a 2019 Air 9 alum (HT) and I'm fixing to sell it sometime soon, I'd be interested in seeing if Niner makes some updates in their FS bikes and I might go that route to accompany my DV9 HT
    2019 Ibis DV9 XX1 Gold | Code RSC | 25.4lbs
    2018 Orbea Loki 27 XX1 Rainbow/Black/Grey | Code RSC | 28.11lbs

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Iím still holding out for a new 170/160 WFO.

mtbr member
    I'd really like a niner version of the HD5 from Ibis. I want to try a 650b bike but I would prefer to stay with the same suspension geometry,
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    I'd really like a niner version of the HD5 from Ibis. I want to try a 650b bike but I would prefer to stay with the same suspension geometry,
    To do that they would need to make a new WFO and do like the did with Rip and both 29 and 27.5 option

mtbr member
    Hopefully more Kurt Voreis videos. Other than that wgaf.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Lots of changes with Niner especially with the history of the bankruptcy and subsequent acquisition. It seems the MCR was the primary focus recently, which makes sense.

There still is a lot of solid technology in the Niner portfolio. The Air 9 RDO is still a pretty great XC hardtail. The RKT remains a great full suspension XC bike, especially coupled with a 120 mm fork, but lacks the slacker front end that most of the other XC bikes have been moving too. An update would be reasonable but it may only bring it in line with what's already out there rather than being a leader like Niner was in the past. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It seems pretty clear that Niner upset a lot of local shops along the way. We had the Niner dealership bounce around to a few different local shops in our area but they ultimately dropped Niner and there is no longer a local presence. The heavy online discounting as products needed to be moved hurt Niner's value. There were also a lot of problems with the early Jet 9 RDO frames and I know several people who swore off Niner after having frames crack. They ironed out a lot of these issues and the RKT is so much better built than the early Jet 9 RDO's, but people have a long memory.

The gravel portfolio is strong with the RLT and now MCR. Perhaps this is the way Niner will continue to go, but competition is getting fierce in this realm and the big companies are starting to take notice too. Rumors of a Trek Checkpoint SLR are circulating and it seems new gravel bikes are getting announced regularly. Clearly the MCR is really different, but will it have broad enough appeal to make a big impact?

It would be amazing to see Niner lead the way again with some innovative mountain bike products, but it's a challenging space with a lot of great competing products. The world caught up to Niner, and in many areas have passed them, so playing catch up won't be easy.

mtbr member
    Niner has a Lifetime warranty on their bikes now. That's great news.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well - FWIW - I've demoed the current Niner RIP 9 RDO against the Ripmo, new Norco Sight and Optic and its such a good bike - I came back to it for a 2nd demo after riding the others. Its really a fantastic bike - I like it and the Optic best out of the 4. In fact, its probably the current "leader in the clubhouse" for me because it does have a bit more travel and an ability to just soak up the trail chunk when the going gets fast. Climbs well. The most "nimble" of all of them and felt most like my 27.5 in that regard, but with the 29 rollover and momentum. Im just in my head now having a bit of issue that its a "niner"...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Lifetime would make me consider a new WFO if that ever happens

SPECIALizED
    I demoed bikes for 3 years before I chose my '17 Jet 9 RDO. It has over 10k miles on it and it's still going strong. I've demoed a few bikes over this past year and not one of them has made me think "I got to have this". If I were in the market for a new MTB I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Niner.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The Jet is a true workhouse. Jack of all trades for sure. Looking for a LT 29et so I can make the Jet my XC Marathon bike. Got a chance to trail head parking lot ride a new Rip. It was too close to how I have the Jet set up to justify a Rip

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm hoping for a new rendition of the ROS 9. The sir 9 is cool and all but give us another steel hardtail to party on!

Biking Like Crazy!
    The Jet is a true workhouse. Jack of all trades for sure. Looking for a LT 29et so I can make the Jet my XC Marathon bike. Got a chance to trail head parking lot ride a new Rip. It was too close to how I have the Jet set up to justify a Rip
    Check Jenson USA out for blowout V2 Rip RDO prices !50 mm rear travel so more seperation from the Jet!
    I'm thinking of getting an extra large frame (only 5"10) for bike park use use only and keeping my large for trail use. Longer and more stable with a 1 1/2 deg headset and Push Eleven Six!
    2018 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2018 Banshee Prime
    2018 Banshee Rune
    2016 Hightower OG
    2017 Niner Rip 9 RDO
    2014 Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    Check Jenson USA out for blowout V2 Rip RDO prices !50 mm rear travel so more seperation from the Jet!
    I'm thinking of getting an extra large frame (only 5"10) for bike park use use only and keeping my large for trail use. Longer and more stable with a 1 1/2 deg headset and Push Eleven Six!
    Saw that. Prob is reach is kinda old school short and standover is too tall for me. Iíd have to go medium.

mtbr member
    Was not expecting :

https://www.performancebike.com/nine...s%2fb-pme-1326

Time will tell if itís a good move, but Iím thinking: no.

mtbr member
    Whoa! This seems like a desperation move from Niner. Their bikes must really not be selling well at all. People were mocking the brand as ďHuffyĒ after they were sold but now it really does seem like the direction they are going. Performance sells Fuji, Verde, and Marin MTBs. And now they have added Niner. This is certainly going to devalue the Niner brand even further.

One bankrupt bike company selling their product in another bankrupt bike shop. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Was not expecting :

https://www.performancebike.com/nine...s%2fb-pme-1326

Time will tell if itís a good move, but Iím thinking: no.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Just got an email that Nashbar picked them up as well

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    5 to 7k bikes at Performance. Not gonna happen.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    The Performance and Nashbar brands were sold to AMain Cycling after the parent company went bankrupt. This is a completely different company, which isnít bankrupt. I donít think Performance/Nashbar selling Niner is signaling death of the brand. For those of us out east with little to no retail presence for the brand, Iím glad there are places I can buy the bikes on line.

The Hutch
    A few things to add. As for 2020 changes, the Sir9, Air9, Air9 rdo will all have changes from color to build kits and a few other tweaks. The RKT actually did just get changed last year mid year with the RS version, but will see another change in a few months. In my opinion, Niner as a brand is on the rise again. The stepped up their game with the lifetime warranty, became innovative with the MCR, and have stepped up with both online and local bike shop presence last year. I predict Niner being a big player again in 2020. And do your self a favor, ride the RIP 9 rdo that bike just crushes everything and is a underrated sleeper bike..
    follow me
    on FB @hutchsbicyclegarage
    on instagram @hutchsbicyclegarage
    and @robbhutch
    on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Totally agree with you rob1208lv, I am keeping an eye on Niner as feel they are making a solid comeback. My 2014 Jet9 RDO is getting long in the tooth and have been looking around for what might be next and as soon as Niner update the current Jet9 RDO then I'm in. Again.

mtbr member
    Niner in 2020, what can we expect?-p3220034.jpg
    Just put a new fork on, and a bigger rotor on my 2014... Haven't been able to break it, still love it

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have had this exact same experience.

mtbr member
    It is great to read your feedback on this topic. It has been a tough road back from bankruptcy. United Wheels has been a great partner and they are passionate about cycling on all levels.

We have doubled our R&D team since being acquired. We now offer a lifetime warranty from a brand you know will be here to service it in the long run.

Niner is full of passionate cyclists and the tough times have just made us that much stronger. We have plenty more innovations coming out sooner than you think and will continue releasing new rides on a steady pace from here on out.

Thank you for your support and community.

Peace,
    Chris Sugai
    President
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    It is great to read your feedback on this topic. It has been a tough road back from bankruptcy. United Wheels has been a great partner and they are passionate about cycling on all levels.

We have doubled our R&D team since being acquired. We now offer a lifetime warranty from a brand you know will be here to service it in the long run.

Niner is full of passionate cyclists and the tough times have just made us that much stronger. We have plenty more innovations coming out sooner than you think and will continue releasing new rides on a steady pace from here on out.

Peace,
    Chris Sugai
    President
    Niner Bikes
    Well now that we know you're reading I'm begging you to please not to stretch and slack out the Jet too much it is PERFECT here in New England pretty much as is. Or continue to offer the current one as a "legacy" model or something. We pedal up, down, all around while navigating tight twisty singletrack. Steep seat tubes and long wheelbases only go so far!!!

If you need R&D help out this way hit me up...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post

Peace,
    Chris Sugai
    President
    Niner Bikes
    Great to hear from you Chris. I just ordered myself a 2020 RIP 9 RDO 4 star. Looking forward to riding my first Niner this summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhatfie View Post
    Great to hear from you Chris. I just ordered myself a 2020 RIP 9 RDO 4 star. Looking forward to riding my first Niner this summer.

Thanks for your support! Enjoy your new ride.

Peace,
    Chris S

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by myette10 View Post
    Well now that we know you're reading I'm begging you to please not to stretch and slack out the Jet too much it is PERFECT here in New England pretty much as is. Or continue to offer the current one as a "legacy" model or something. We pedal up, down, all around while navigating tight twisty singletrack. Steep seat tubes and long wheelbases only go so far!!!

If you need R&D help out this way hit me up...
    I hope the next Jet looks a lot like the Revel Rascal on paper.

Honestly, Iím fighting the urge to order a Rascal frame set.

If it wasnít for the wrath of my wife, I would probably be in line for one.

As a fellow NE rider, I donít want another gravity sled thatís labeled a ďtrail bikeĒ either. A longer reach paired with a shorter stem and ability to run a longer dropper would be awesome.

Iím right on the line between medium and large and I have a medium 17í Jet. If I went with the large I could have gotten a better reach, but just barely not able to even fit a 150mm dropper. I decided a medium with a longer stem and bigger dropper was my best bet.

But the Rascal is ticking all the boxes for me, right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankS29 View Post
    I hope the next Jet looks a lot like the Revel Rascal on paper.

Honestly, Iím fighting the urge to order a Rascal frame set.

If it wasnít for the wrath of my wife, I would probably be in line for one.

As a fellow NE rider, I donít want another gravity sled thatís labeled a ďtrail bikeĒ either. A longer reach paired with a shorter stem and ability to run a longer dropper would be awesome.

Iím right on the line between medium and large and I have a medium 17í Jet. If I went with the large I could have gotten a better reach, but just barely not able to even fit a 150mm dropper. I decided a medium with a longer stem and bigger dropper was my best bet.

But the Rascal is ticking all the boxes for me, right now.
    Have you tried the Rascal yet? I rode it at NEMBAfest last summer and yeah, it is amazing. I tried to hit as many tight trails up there on the demo to recreate my local stock. I have probably demo'd 20 "New England" 120-130ish trail bikes over the past three years and the podium for me is the Niner Jet, the Revel Rascal, and the Ibis Ripley.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by myette10 View Post
    Have you tried the Rascal yet? I rode it at NEMBAfest last summer and yeah, it is amazing. I tried to hit as many tight trails up there on the demo to recreate my local stock. I have probably demo'd 20 "New England" 120-130ish trail bikes over the past three years and the podium for me is the Niner Jet, the Revel Rascal, and the Ibis Ripley.
    I havenít ridden the Rascal, yet.

Iím afraid if I ride it, Iím ordering it. I kind of promised my wife I wouldnít buy any new bikes this year. Iím trying to be a good boy.

Donít get me wrong, I love my Jet. But the two issues I have with it are solved by the Rascal. Longer reach and can fit bigger dropper posts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Wfo?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Nearly pulled the trigger on a Sir 9. Not many hard tails with low wt/high end steel frames available but was surprised that 2.4" was the widest 29" tire it will accept. If it would have taken a 2.6" their 4-star would have been sold. I'll keep looking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ArroFlyt View Post
    Nearly pulled the trigger on a Sir 9. Not many hard tails with low wt/high end steel frames available but was surprised that 2.4" was the widest 29" tire it will accept. If it would have taken a 2.6" their 4-star would have been sold. I'll keep looking.
    Itís not steel, but the Salsa Timberjack is awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankS29 View Post
    Itís not steel, but the Salsa Timberjack is awesome.
    Yes that Timberjack looks sweet but I do like light wt steel tubing; however, I didn't realize there's also a Ti version. It does have me wondering how much it would cost to setup?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Well, without any info on anything coming down the line this season from Niner, specifically about updating the Jet 9, I pulled the trigger on an Ibis Ripley.

Bummer since in the last 4 years Iíve purchased 4 Niner bikes, but Iím not willing to wait any longer. Iím not really looking to buy a new bike Just in time for it to sit in my garage all winter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I got really excited about a Niner come back around March. I talked to west coast rep. Was more then hinted at that the WFO was going to happen. One of their reps started posting here. They signed some good youtubers. But I agree. We need to hear more about future projects.

I get it. They want existing product to sell. But most Niner fan boys have already bought their RKT, Jets or even Rip 3s. We need some new stuff or Iím going somewhere else. I was drooling over 160mm CVA bike

PS. Frank I would really like to hear your thoughts on DW vs CVA. Itís my understanding that it may climb better but is harsher on the way back down. Iím probably going to join you in switching to Ibis and go with a Ripmo

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Still, NOTHING from Niner...

In an environment where itís Christmas everyday for the bike industry, this has to be poor management at itís finest. You basically have two bikes worth selling, the Rip and the MCR. Everything else is either old or a terrible redesign.

Niner seriously needs to get their house in order.