New: RIP 9 + JET 9 - 2017- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

New: RIP 9 + JET 9 - 2017

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Interesting. It seems the Rip will be taking the place of the wfo and the jet will be replacing the rip based on travel.
    160mm for the rip and 140 for the new jet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    Niner RIP 9 RDO
    2014 Tarmac Elite

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastblack View Post
    Interesting. It seems the Rip will be taking the place of the wfo and the jet will be replacing the rip based on travel.
    160mm for the rip and 140 for the new jet.

Where are you seeing 140mm travel for the JET9? On CompetitiveCyclist, I see it listed at 120mm.

Overall, I think these (somewhat) expected updates are a really good thing. I love the 27.5+ compatibility, that was unexpected to me.

New: RIP 9 + JET 9 - 2017-newjet9.jpg

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Ah, I think I see what you were saying after looking at the full bike specs. They went 140mm front, 120mm front for the JET9 versus the previous generation that was 120 front, 100 rear.

I expect that is the 140mm number you were referencing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So the geometry charts are up now. The new RIP9 is essentially a carbon version of prior year's WFO, but even longer. Should be great for high speed, super aggressive riding (enduros). Way overkill for most riders, especially those of us in tight Midwest/eastern US terrain.

The JET9 makes a huge leap into the trail/all-mountain category, but still seems reasonable for XC riding. The basic geometry is very similar to the new "long, slack, low" offerings from other manufacturers like the SC Tallboy 3, Trek Fuel EX, Ibis Ripley LS, Mach 429 Trail, etc. Looking at the larger sizes, I think the geometry looks "just right". Unlike the other options, Niner has maintained it's relatively long head tube lengths and resultant "tall" stack heights for the larger sizes, which is plus for me. Bikes like the Trek Fuel EX have become stupid low, and would require me (I'm 6'3") to use at least 40mm of stem spacers, in addition to a riser bar. The BB drop/height is modest, whereas some manufacturers have gone too low IMO, so this is another plus. The front center/wheelbase is much longer than previous JET9s, but still reasonable with the 21mm shorter chainstays. And finally, the 74.5 degree STA is great to see, and steeper than many competitors. The Jet9 is high on my list, once I decide to move on from my RIP9 RDO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Some obvious changes that make sense, but as a whole doesn't this seem like Niner has kind of lost their way?

I can understand the thought that you might need to adopt 27.5...but it's NINER. And other than tweaking angles to fit the current trend, sure seems like they just turned the Jet into the Rip and the Rip into the WFO. I'm not seeing a real clear focus here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Niner did exactly what they needed to do to stay competitive. Job well done IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Did they? Or are they chasing trends?

Only time will tell I guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Niner did exactly what they needed to do to stay competitive. Job well done IMO.
    Agreed. Seems like a solid strategy to stay competitive. Add the RKT in and you are pretty well positioned now across the range. The 27.5+ thing is a small stretch for NINER, but the bikes are still offered as 29ers, so I still think it's a good move. The JET looks like a killer all around offering.

COTA member
    I have the older Jet 9 RDO with "XC geo". What will I be giving up performance wise to go the slacker longer travel Jet 9 RDO with "Trail geo"? I don't shuttle, so at least 2/3rds of my riding time is climbing. I see the new J9 RDO chain stays are a tad shorter, but the wheelbase is an inch longer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    I have the older Jet 9 RDO with "XC geo". What will I be giving up performance wise to go the slacker longer travel Jet 9 RDO with "Trail geo"? I don't shuttle, so at least 2/3rds of my riding time is climbing. I see the new J9 RDO chain stays are a tad shorter, but the wheelbase is an inch longer.
    IDK if you'll be giving up much, if anything. Based on reports from other modern slack and long bikes, everyone prefers the slacker HTAs for descending, and most people seem to be fine with the climbing and cornering attributes. The one exception is when the STA is not steep enough, because the front end can get too light during seated climbing, especially with short chain stays and long legs. The STAs on the new JET and RIP look good though. The wheelbase on the JET isn't as long as some of the new competition, like the Trek Fuel EX and Tallboy. I would try before you buy though. I'm not 100% convince that I would prefer a bike slacker than my RIP9 RDO with 150 fork (69 degree HTA) for the terrain I ride, although the steeper STA is a welcome change for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like what they have done to both bikes. For long backcountry rides and long climbs, I;d have to look towards the Jet 9 myself...unless they have done something to make the CVA more efficient and have more anti-squat. That is the one thing I was looking for in these articles...if they have improved the suspension design. I have owns a RIP9 (and old alloy one) and while it was nice at the time, I'd look for more now. Anyone hear or read anything about the suspension being updated?

mtbr member
    I like these new bikes, I now have to weigh the new Jet 9 with the new Giant Trance & the Ibis Mojo 3.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    when will these be 50% off on pricepoint/jenson?

will buy one of each then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardTraveller View Post
    Some obvious changes that make sense, but as a whole doesn't this seem like Niner has kind of lost their way?

. . . And other than tweaking angles to fit the current trend, sure seems like they just turned the Jet into the Rip and the Rip into the WFO. I'm not seeing a real clear focus here.
    I would agree with this too. Or maybe they are consolidating the focus. Seems the RKT 9 replaces the jet 9 RDO. The frames look really nice but it is a departure from the beautiful lines they used in the former bikes. However...

It is just me, or does the rear triangles seem out of place? The front triangle looks really nice and then the rear triangle looks like an afterthought or not much thought put into it, or maybe they rushed the rear triangle. Just doesn't seem to match and not characteristic of Niner who usually is artful in the way it all goes together.

The removable frame panels on the bottom down tube seem like we may have a cable problem again, very tight in there.

New: RIP 9 + JET 9 - 2017-screen-shot-2016-07-07-4.09.38-pm.jpg

New: RIP 9 + JET 9 - 2017-screen-shot-2016-07-07-4.06.15-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    YES! A carbon WFO finally. And I can use my boost wheel sets! Awesome news. Demo please.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Yes
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardTraveller View Post
    Did they? Or are they chasing trends?
    By the looks of their geo charts, they are far from chasing trends, and are still stuck in the past. The TTL actually got shorter from last year and god forbid if you want a 24" tt, youll have to go to a large frame with a freaking 19" seat tube!

The jet would be promising if it weren't for the garbage roadbike geometry.

Also, 67* HTA with a 160mm fork on a WFO replacement?

Finally, could care less about the 27+ as anyone can jam large tires on a 29.

As someone else said, these will look great in the clearance section.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by . . . View Post

The removable frame panels on the bottom down tube seem like we may have a cable problem again, very tight in there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 4.09.38 PM.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	1080701

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 4.06.15 PM.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	1080702
    I also forgot to say how this hole in the frame is going to collect all kinds of water. May not be an issue for the carbon fiber but it will for that axle that is going through the frame right there. A little bit of rust action? Notice how water will collect in that area and rest there by the axle, it looks like a holding spot for water. The frame panel does not seem to fully seal that off from water.

It's a clever idea in hindsight but it could end up being a problem if you ride in rain, mud, or snow conditions. Why couldn't Niner have included a built in cable guide in the carbon frame (like other companies)? #1 so when you ride you won't hear the cables rattling around inside, and #2 so inserting cables, for do it yourselfers, is so simple, easy and foolproof, and #3 no need for a hole in the downtube with a "removable frame panel". I wonder if the cables are rattling around inside the downtube. I hated this on my Jet 9 RDO.

I don't know, it just seems as if Niner did not think these out very well. Or they rushed to jump onto the train that left the station a while back.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    By the looks of their geo charts, they are far from chasing trends, and are still stuck in the past. The TTL actually got shorter from last year and god forbid if you want a 24" tt, youll have to go to a large frame with a freaking 19" seat tube!

The jet would be promising if it weren't for the garbage roadbike geometry.

Also, 67* HTA with a 160mm fork on a WFO replacement?

Finally, could care less about the 27+ as anyone can jam large tires on a 29.

As someone else said, these will look great in the clearance section.
    This message brought to you by Kona. 😜
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X View Post
    This message brought to you by Kona. 
    Touche'

I was also a santa cruz fanboy back in the day and gave up on them because their geo was stuck in the past. They finally got it together and are building some nice stuff. Hell, even ellsworth looks to have recently built a reasonably good bike. Gasp

I have a couple of riding buddies on niners who've been paying attention to these new releases and were not impressed with the news. We really had our hopes up for niner but these bikes seem confused as to what their purpose is. It's like they started modernizing the bikes and stopped with the STA and shorter-ish chainstays. I cant imagine running a stem shorter than 70mm on a med frame and then still having a 67* HTA on a 160mm fork....what is that? Where exactly do you need a "nimble" 160mm travel 29er?

They better hope to continue to market to roadies looking to get into MTB, who dont know any better.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    Touche'

I was also a santa cruz fanboy back in the day and gave up on them because their geo was stuck in the past. They finally got it together and are building some nice stuff. Hell, even ellsworth looks to have recently built a reasonably good bike. Gasp

I have a couple of riding buddies on niners who've been paying attention to these new releases and were not impressed with the news. We really had our hopes up for niner but these bikes seem confused as to what their purpose is. It's like they started modernizing the bikes and stopped with the STA and shorter-ish chainstays. I cant imagine running a stem shorter than 70mm on a med frame and then still having a 67* HTA on a 160mm fork....what is that? Where exactly do you need a "nimble" 160mm travel 29er?

They better hope to continue to market to roadies looking to get into MTB, who dont know any better.
    Whatever you do, don't look at the Canfield Riot geo...you might faint.

Modern geometry is more and more based off reach instead of TTL, get with the times!

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Whatever you do, don't look at the Canfield Riot geo...you might faint.

Modern geometry is more and more based off reach instead of TTL, get with the times!
    I owned a canfield and would have bought a balance, but landed between a M & L leaving little room for a dropper if i went +1. Bought the 153.

Bringing up a canfield riot when it comes to reach is an apples to oranges argument when applying it to the rip. The riot has the whole package dialed and can do the job with less travel.

The niners have a steep STA with a short TT and will be great for people who never sit down.

Luckily for me, I've long since been with the program and own bikes with ample reach and TTL
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    I owned a canfield and would have bought a balance, but landed between a M & L leaving little room for a dropper if i went +1. Bought the 153.

Bringing up a canfield riot when it comes to reach is an apples to oranges argument when applying it to the rip. The riot has the whole package dialed and can do the job with less travel.

The niners have a steep STA with a short TT and will be great for people who never sit down.

Luckily for me, I've long since been with the program and own bikes with ample reach and TTL
    I owned a Riot, loved it.

That being said, geometry wise it has an even shorter TTL and steeper seat angle. Seat tube length is 19 inches on both in size large.

Agreed that the geo is dialed on the Riot, but I don't see how the Rip is an orange (besides the frame color).

mtbr member
    I owned a Riot, loved it.

That being said, geometry wise it has an even shorter TTL and steeper seat angle. Seat tube length is 19 inches on both in size large.

Agreed that the geo is dialed on the Riot, but I don't see how the Rip is an orange (besides the frame color).
    I actually considered the rip a bit of a lemon.......

All kidding aside, at least we agree on the riot and i'm cautiously optimistic that these bikes pull niner out of the tailspin they seem to be in.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    Word brother ^. Bikes are fun!

USED2COULD
    But why-o-why is the Rip RDO $3200 USD whereas the RKT and Jet are an already class leading $3000?

Thank you Niner for doing the unexpected and making Evil, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Intense, Ibis, et al look reasonably priced? Pointing at Yeti isn't going to earn you any brownie points.

Worse still I can buy almost an entire Rocky Mountain Pipeline (in CDN) for within $700 USD of a Rip frame?

Anyway time to clear out my 2012 Jet RDO and 2014 Rip and go new rig shopping.

Ciao Bella.
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    But why-o-why is the Rip RDO $3200 USD whereas the RKT and Jet are an already class leading $3000?

Thank you Niner for doing the unexpected and making Evil, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Intense, Ibis, et al look reasonably priced? Pointing at Yeti isn't going to earn you any brownie points.

Worse still I can buy almost an entire Rocky Mountain Pipeline (in CDN) for within $700 USD of a Rip frame?

Ciao Bella.
    Because the shock on the Rip is more expensive than what comes with the Jet or RKT?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It takes 2-2.5 years to bring a carbon frame to market. So imagine you're a product manager in late 2013 and you need to hit a bullseye in the future. You've got component companies jamming the following down your throat:

Boost (Sram pushing NO deraillers)
    Di2 (Shimano pushing deraillers)
    Wheel size anarchy (26+, 27+, 29+ 29 standard, 650b etc, etc)
    All while trying to keep up with rider preferences/trends

In late 2013, there was really only one viable 150mm 29er with "modern" geo from a larger company (Enduro29). There were some other players but it was very much a niche market. The Wreckoning, with its cutting edge geo, didn't exist.

So you could have gone "extreme" on the geo with a 66 HA, super long reach, etc but there's a chance the market would reject it. I'm sure Niner tested mules with other geos and landed on what they have. I'm also guessing that they did some market research and found that riders who want mega long/low/slack bikes are probably going to go with small wheels anyway.

At the end of the day, you gotta sell bikes. If you're on the cutting edge, you can capture lots of market share before your competitors. If you're too far out there, no one buys your bikes.

Think the Jet is perfect as an all rounder. Geo is current, can be built a lot of different ways.

RIP looks solid too. If you want it longer/slacker, size up and toss in some offset bushings.

mtbr member

Ciao Bella.
    Intense frames are usually $3200 last I looked.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

USED2COULD
    Intense frames are usually $3200 last I looked.

Both a Mojo 3 and Mojo 3 HD are $2899 both with recent updates.
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    Not arguing your point, just correcting it.

USED2COULD
    Not arguing your point, just correcting it.

Although something that might often improve my posts in this case a correction wasn't be required. 👍🏼
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    Although something that might often improve my posts in this case a correction wasn't be required. 👍🏼
    That's just like your opinion, man

COTA member
    I recently put 1x11 XTR Di2 on my 2012 Jet 9 RDO. Made a good bike a great bike. When I bought the 2012 RDO there was no Di2 for MTB, but in the back of my mind I knew the internally routed cable frame would be ideal for electronic shifting. No doubt the industry trend is for slacker, longer, heavier MTBs. Niner seems to be landing right on that line by shifting their lineup. For the type of riding I do (endurance XC) I am not sold on this trend.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Transition Patrol Carbon frame is $3200 with Monarch plus.

mtbr member

Ciao Bella.
    It seems tough for niner to ask that much money for a frame as a brand struggling to keep it's head above water. Maybe aluminum would have been a good place to start?

As someone above mentioned, these frames were probably years in the making and niner doesn't have the resources like big brands to keep redesigning molds etc.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    It seems tough for niner to ask that much money for a frame as a brand struggling to keep it's head above water. Maybe aluminum would have been a good place to start?

As someone above mentioned, these frames were probably years in the making and niner doesn't have the resources like big brands to keep redesigning molds etc.
    The problem is, most folks want carbon nowadays.

I'm awaiting some real ride reports. Personally, I'm interested in the Jet9.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Struggling? Maybe the bigger trail bikes from them has fallen off, but the number of AIR9 RDO's, Jet9's, RKT9's and RLT9's constantly being built through my local shop is high. The original JET9 is still an amazing bike even with the older geo.

These are 2 new new models at 120mm and 150mm rear travel. Both models are 27.5+ and 29" compatible. What other bikes at this level can say the same? As Colin noted with pricing, these new bikes are right in line with the others. Hightower is 135mm, Pivot is 135mm and questionable wide rear-end standard, Ibis Mojo 3 27.5/27.5" up to 2.8" only and 130mm at $2999. Yeti SB5.5 is 140mm and $3500, 4.5c 114mm and $3400 both 29er only.

I am looking forward to a demo for sure. A 170mm front fork and 150mm rear on the RIP9 puts the HTA at 66.5 in 29er mode if my math is right and would be an absolute crusher of a bike with a perfect STA!

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Struggling? Maybe the bigger trail bikes from them has fallen off, but the number of AIR9 RDO's, Jet9's, RKT9's and RLT9's constantly being built through my local shop is high. The original JET9 is still an amazing bike even with the older geo.

These are 2 new new models at 120mm and 150mm rear travel. Both models are 27.5+ and 29" compatible. What other bikes at this level can say the same? As Colin noted with pricing, these new bikes are right in line with the others. Hightower is 135mm, Pivot is 135mm and questionable wide rear-end standard, Ibis Mojo 3 27.5/27.5" up to 2.8" only and 130mm at $2999. Yeti SB5.5 is 140mm and $3500, 4.5c 114mm and $3400 both 29er only.

I am looking forward to a demo for sure. A 170mm front fork and 150mm rear on the RIP9 puts the HTA at 66.5 in 29er mode if my math is right and would be an absolute crusher of a bike with a perfect STA!

150mm 66.6HTA 27.5+ $2899 Mojo HD3...
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member

I can only speak for where I ride, but niners are few and far between on trails and in shops. The ones that I do see on the trail are usually 4-5s year old.

As far as prices goes, niner is not at the same level as SC, Pivot ETC. Try reselling one after the pricepoint margin-rape fiasco and you'll see.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    RIP 9 frame only $3200? really?
    No thanks, next frame will probably be a Following.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just sold my rip 9 RDO frame for 1200 yesterday. Was never happy with it unfortunately. I'm looking at a following also or a new stumpjumper as the 2016 models are currently on close out.

Vassago Verhauen SS
    Niner RIP 9 RDO
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have some interest in either the new Fuel or a Jet. I sure hope they come out with a non RDO version that will be more affordable. I am thinking a regular carbon with a full X1 build and a pike for about $4k. I am kind of pissed about the prices on the RIP dropping so much. This really kills my value of my RIP. I would be lucky to get $2500 for my RIP with carbon wheels.

I am mostly leaning towards the Fuel EX9 at this point. At least there will be better resale down the road.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I had a 1 hour demo on the Jet 9 2017 yesterday with 27.5 wheels, 2.8" tyres. I have been a niner fan for many years and currently ride a WFO. I previously owned a jet before they went RDO. I found this new jet to be very very fast on the flat and uphill (even more efficient than old jet), and lost next to nothing to the WFO on the downhills. I felt no drag from the wheels and all around was really impressed with the performance.
    I will certainly be looking at getting in more ride time when they get some demo's in the LBS and making a purchase soon after.
    Set up with the fat tyres it was a lot of fun, great traction and easy to throw around, would love to try it with the 29" wheels, think it would become a very precise weapon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flying fish NZ View Post
    I had a 1 hour demo on the Jet 9 2017 yesterday with 27.5 wheels, 2.8" tyres. I have been a niner fan for many years and currently ride a WFO. I previously owned a jet before they went RDO. I found this new jet to be very very fast on the flat and uphill (even more efficient than old jet), and lost next to nothing to the WFO on the downhills. I felt no drag from the wheels and all around was really impressed with the performance.
    I will certainly be looking at getting in more ride time when they get some demo's in the LBS and making a purchase soon after.
    Set up with the fat tyres it was a lot of fun, great traction and easy to throw around, would love to try it with the 29" wheels, think it would become a very precise weapon.
    Awesome to hear!

Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Pica time. The jet plus 2 bad it was not the yellow one.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    does this mean I can put 27.5+ wheels on my 2015 Jet 9 RDO, or have they changed the rear triangle to add more clearance?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddr View Post
    does this mean I can put 27.5+ wheels on my 2015 Jet 9 RDO, or have they changed the rear triangle to add more clearance?
    No you cannot. The New jet is completely different then yours.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

mtbr member
    .... I'm riding an older niner rip9 and I like the niner quality and attention to detail.

This been said, the new bikes look amazing, but the pricing is .... a little insane. A good way to catapult your brand out of the mainstream market.

- Olli

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0lli View Post
    .... I'm riding an older niner rip9 and I like the niner quality and attention to detail.

This been said, the new bikes look amazing, but the pricing is .... a little insane. A good way to catapult your brand out of the mainstream market.

Weren't the old models ~$2899 retail? The new ones are $100 more. The Rip is higher because it comes with a Float X.

Am I missing something? Do prices ever go down nowadays?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by flying fish NZ View Post
    Thanks for the first hand feedback, however short it may be. I was getting a little tired of reading the pinkbike/bikerumor "ride reports". I'm really glad to hear that about the efficiency, as the previous JET really shines on the trails in my area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddr View Post
    The new JET and RIP have boost spacing, which is what really opens up the clearance allowing for 27.5+.

mtbr member

Weren't the old models ~$2899 retail? The new ones are $100 more. The Rip is higher because it comes with a Float X.

Am I missing something? Do prices ever go down nowadays?
    I remember buying mine for $3400 with a full SLX configuration in 2012 (Yes 3.5 years ago) and "unless" the dealer chopped $1000 off the recommended niner sales price, we are talking ~$1100 big mucho' mucho's more for the new niner rip9 with more and better, and more and did I mention much better ..... "stuff" on it .... but, let's not forget the "much better" ...... (guess you are getting my point)

Now, you can further keep justifying your "everything gets more expensive statement," or simply agree that the equation of "everything gets more expensive vs what's left in you pocket is getting out of hand.

This been said, we all have a choice when we spend our money on shiny, new things and for me - personal opinion - niner has catapulted their way out of mainstream bikes and what "I'm" willing to drop on a new bike.

- final statement -

- Olli

mtbr member
    I remember buying mine for $3400 with a full SLX configuration in 2012 (Yes 3.5 years ago) and "unless" the dealer chopped $1000 off the recommended niner sales price, we are talking ~$1200 big mucho' mucho's more for the new niner rip9 with more and better, and more and did I mention much better ..... "stuff" on it .... but, let's not forget the "much better" ...... (guess you are getting my point)

Now, you can further keep justifying your "everything gets more expensive statement," or simply agree that the equation of "everything gets more expensive vs what's left in you pocket is getting out of hand.

This been said, we all have a choice when we spend our money on shiny, new things and for me - personal opinion - niner has catapulted their way out of mainstream bikes and what "I'm" willing to drop on a new bike.

- final statement -

I never buy complete bikes, so I'll take your word for it on that aspect. I was really referring only to the frame price.

I agree that the ever-rising cost is getting (has gotten) out of hand.

mtbr member
    I never buy complete bikes, so I'll take your word for it on that aspect. I was really referring only to the frame price.

.... and the really sad part, we are all in the same boat.

Also, please understand that I'm not picking on you, NOT at all, it's just frustrating to see where things are going.

Rock'n Ride on fellow MTB'r

- Olli

mtbr member
    .... and the really sad part, we are all in the same boat.

Also, please understand that I'm not picking on you, NOT at all, it's just frustrating to see where things are going.

Rock'n Ride on fellow MTB'r

No offense taken sir!

Ride on indeed!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I wonder if Niner will be doing away with alloy or alloy/carbon options all together like some other brands. I sure hope they offer at least a non RDO option.

USED2COULD

Hi Colin + M,
    Thanks for pointing out my goof on Mojo 3 prices. Mojo 3 - $2999, Mojo HD3 $2899. Both less than the $3200 RIP. But I digress. I along with all the other easily impressed ordered my Gen 1 Jet 9 RDO as soon as the press release and initial ride reports came in. It was $2599 USD. The jump later to $2899 was a slap in the face as it started at the exact same time Niner devalued all the early adopters by encouraging 50% clearance prices.

So I paid $2599 and smarter folk two years later paid $1300 for fully warrantied frame while Niner had the chops to start asking $2899 for a maxle and new "carbon compaction".

Edit: Niner Jet 9 RDO Carbon: Sexiest 29er To Date? | Bike198

It's true this wouldn't sting as much if my Canadian dollar wasn't also worth 30% less than before. I promise not to come across so cranky. But what cost me $2599 USD / CDN before is now $3000 USD / $4000 CDN and my existing frame has nearly no value with the new Proce Point clearance model and Niner's anecdotally lacking carbon reliability.
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    Hi Colin + M,
    Thanks for pointing out my goof on Mojo 3 prices. Mojo 3 - $2999, Mojo HD3 $2899. Both less than the $3200 RIP. But I digress. I along with all the other easily impressed ordered my Gen 1 Jet 9 RDO as soon as the press release and initial ride reports came in. It was $2599 USD. The jump later to $2899 was a slap in the face as it started at the exact same time Niner devalued all the early adopters by encouraging 50% clearance prices.

So I paid $2599 and smarter folk two years later paid $1300 for fully warrantied frame while Niner had the chops to start asking $2899 for a maxle and new "carbon compaction".

It's true this wouldn't sting as much if my Canadian dollar wasn't also worth 30% less than before. I promise not to come across so cranky. But what cost me $2599 USD / CDN before is now $3000 USD / $4000 CDN and my existing frame has nearly no value with the new Proce Point clearance model and Niner's anecdotally lacking carbon reliability.
    In that case, rage on Brother!

Those deep discounts are a slap in the face for early adopters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi Colin + M,

I promise not to come across so cranky. But what cost me $2599 USD / CDN before is now $3000 USD / $4000 CDN and my existing frame has nearly no value with the new Proce Point clearance model and Niner's anecdotally lacking carbon reliability.
    Is this still a thing? I googled away before I pulled the trigger on my 2015 RIP 9 carbon, and about all I came up with was the Jet 9 recall 6-7 years ago.

Honestly curious, as it seems other brands have had similar issues, but are currently getting the love for their new models (Evil) and have successfully lived down their past. For Niner, this is part of the narrative. Did they fix it, or am I riding a time bomb?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iron57 View Post
    Is this still a thing? I googled away before I pulled the trigger on my 2015 RIP 9 carbon, and about all I came up with was the Jet 9 recall 6-7 years ago.

Honestly curious, as it seems other brands have had similar issues, but are currently getting the love for their new models (Evil) and have successfully lived down their past. For Niner, this is part of the narrative. Did they fix it, or am I riding a time bomb?
    All bikes break, period. Both Yeti and Evil have/had plenty of models with known issues just like the JET9 carbon/rdo. It's how the manufacturer handles the warranty that matters.

http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/another-...ti-660999.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/evil-bikes/cr...ng-990764.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    All bikes break, period. Both Yeti and Evil have/had plenty of models with known issues just like the JET9 carbon/rdo. It's how the manufacturer handles the warranty that matters.

http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/another-...ti-660999.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/evil-bikes/cr...ng-990764.html
    Completely agree, thanks for the reference links. Not expecting it to last forever, but wondered how the fail rate statistically for Niner frames compares to other brands.

mtbr member
    I remember buying mine for $3400 with a full SLX configuration in 2012 (Yes 3.5 years ago) and "unless" the dealer chopped $1000 off the recommended niner sales price, we are talking ~$1100 big mucho' mucho's more for the new niner rip9 with more and better, and more and did I mention much better ..... "stuff" on it .... but, let's not forget the "much better" ...... (guess you are getting my point)

- final statement -

There's no chance the retail price was $3400 for a SLX Jet 9 RDO in 2012. Maybe the Jet 9 Carbon or Jet9 Alu in later years, but not the RDO.

Hi Colin + M,

The opening retail in the US was $2899 for the Jet 9 RDO. Maybe it was less in Canada then, due to exchange rates.

There really is no huge jump here on frame prices. The complete bikes have gone a little crazy, though.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
    There's no chance the retail price was $3400 for a SLX Jet 9 RDO in 2012. Maybe the Jet 9 Carbon or Jet9 Alu in later years, but not the RDO.

The opening retail in the US was $2899 for the Jet 9 RDO. Maybe it was less in Canada then, due to exchange rates.

There really is no huge jump here on frame prices. The complete bikes have gone a little crazy, though.
    Untrue. Check the link I posted and any of the launch literature. It was $2599. I bought my bike from a US dealer even as the Canadian Dealers couldn't get them in as quickly. (Shipped to a border town UPS store and I drove over and imported it myself. )

EDIT: Here's another launch article $2600 USD (Review: Niner Jet9 RDO | Dirt Rag) The Jet RDO is now $400 more than it was originally. It's not just completes that are sliding up the pricing scale.
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    Typo? I bought one of the first-run frames in the first year of release and it was definitely $2899.

If it's not a typo, then consider the immediate post-release increase as confirmation that $2600 is not a viable price-point.

(Or, maybe they figured out they were going to have to replace a s-ton of frames under warranty and they wanted a cushion...)

mtbr member
    All frames are going up in price, there's no arguing that. The issue for myself and the guys i ride with is how niner has now hit the upper end of frame prices while it lacks the "it" or "cool" factor. That is critical to overcome the high asking price and survive quality issues like yeti and evil did. Niner is far from cutting edge on any of this.

Some of you guys may have to intervene and pull chris sugai's head out of the sand.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why so much negative about the Rip 9 RDO?

I don't know why there is so much negative here?

At last a company comes up with a 29/27.5+ with 150mm of rear travel.

At last a company has the gots to get somewhat shorter top tubes then the current trend.

At last a company offers a 29/27.5+ in S and XS sizes.

At last a company offers a 29/27.5+ with a 170mm fork.

I don't really know Niner bikes and I'm a SC/Yeti fan boy but man for next year I plan to change my 2007 Nomad and for sure this new Niner will be on my short list because I like short top tube, I like a lot of travel, I like the 27.5+ concept and this new Niner is not more expensive than the others, it's just as expensive as everyone else these days.

So anyone out there think this Niner has some interesting attributes? I can't wait for the real reviews.
    Last edited by BanzaiRider; 07-11-2016 at 06:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    don't know if it matters to anyone here or not, but sent an email to niner concerning if there would be an alloy production of the jet9 and was told that it was coming later this year.

might very well be my next bike.

Bannėd
    The issue for myself and the guys i ride with is how niner has now hit the upper end of frame prices while it lacks the "it" or "cool" factor.
    Sounds like some parking lot posing going on in yer group there...

Seriously though, if you buy a bike because of what others think then you're doing it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That's more than Catfish would do.

USED2COULD
    Quoting myself - I know lame.

Today I jumped ship. Santa Cruz Hightower on order, my 2014 Rip 9 27.5+ with Pike will be on it's way out. I'll evaluate if my Jet RDO (that I still love) becomes redundant also, but will keep it for the time being.

Ciao Bella.
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Reviews and reports help immensely but the only real test is- how many riders will buy your bikes. That remains to be seen. I certainly think there are significant improvements...the old Niners had mostly become seriously long in the tooth. However, too many have experience in building good bikes with modern geometry and excellent suspensions. There is too much string competition and I'm just not sure that even the new Niners will stand out in any way. Remains to be seen, and I wish Niner luck. I'm not jumping back on just yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trav16 View Post
    don't know if it matters to anyone here or not, but sent an email to niner concerning if there would be an alloy production of the jet9 and was told that it was coming later this year.

This is very good news. I sold my 2012 JET aluminum and went with an older SIR. The new JET is now on my radar as a future purchase when I go back to full suspension. I am a XC guy, but the older I get and the less I think of racing, a trail bike with XC tendencies looks like the perfect bike for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider View Post
    I don't know why there is so much negative here?

At last a company comes up with ...
    Niner is just running after a train that left the station. What they released was meh. I say it again too, the rear triangle looks like an afterthought or maybe they rushed to scrape something together to fit the front triangle. YOu do realize other companies have had 29/27.5+ out already a while ago right? You act like NIner just came up with this.

I'll also say again, that hole that is to help with cable routing is going to store all kinds of water next to the bottom pivot. Can you say rust? They have had internal cable routing problems in the past, you would think they would have thought of fixing that. It seems not. Why not have built in guides into the carbon so it is easy and hassle free.

Price? Well, they are asking for a bit of a stretch. Especially as others have pointed out, better prices can be found with other brands, Evil, Santa Cruz, Ibis, etc.

I'm a bit hesitant to buy a frame that has big hole in the bottom of the downtube. When the brand is known for carbon failures, add a hole in the bottom and it is a bit sketchy. I also hate hearing my cables rattling around inside the frame and it seems this may be another problem not solved yet again. I think what others have been saying are legitimate concerns on here as well.

The issue for myself and the guys i ride with is how niner has now hit the upper end of frame prices while it lacks the "it" or "cool" factor. . . . Niner is far from cutting edge on any of this.

Some of you guys may have to intervene and pull chris sugai's head out of the sand.
    Well said...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trav16 View Post

That sounds good! Maybe a non RDO also. Did they hint on a time frame?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    You act like NIner just came up with this.

I'm not acting, I'm just stating that they are the first (to my knowledge) to come up with a 150mm rear travel 27.5+ bike and on top of it, it's offered in S sizes. All the other 27.5+ bikes I know have less than 140mm rear travel and I think only the new Pivot is offered in S sizes.

I find it fun and interesting that there is at least one company that was able to come up with a design that permits 150mm of rear travel with such big tires and at the same time keep the chainstay and wheelbase to a lenght that wont fell like you're driving a semi truck.

Aside from that, I mostly agree, Niner is just joigning the 27.5+ bandwagon.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ochmonek View Post
    Sounds like some parking lot posing going on in yer group there...

Seriously though, if you buy a bike because of what others think then you're doing it wrong.
    do you ever talk about bikes with your riding buddies? Topic comes up and ideas are exchanged. pretty simple.

ive had more than enough bikes to be able to know what i like and do not like.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    I'm not acting, I'm just stating that they are the first (to my knowledge) to come up with a 150mm rear travel 27.5+ bike and on top of it, it's offered in S sizes. All the other 27.5+ bikes I know have less than 140mm rear travel and I think only the new Pivot is offered in S sizes.

I find it fun and interesting that there is at least one company that was able to come up with a design that permits 150mm of rear travel with such big tires and at the same time keep the chainstay and wheelbase to a lenght that wont fell like you're driving a semi truck.

Aside from that, I mostly agree, Niner is just joigning the 27.5+ bandwagon.

Cheers
    I dont know how to tell you this, but it's really easy to stuff 27+ wheel/tires on a 29. My buddy ( a former roadie and niner owner) installed stans 52mm 27+ wheels with 2.8 nobby nics on his on one parkwood. The tires measure 2.9 at carcass on a 52mm rim.

If you can fit a 29 wheel with 150mm of travel, then you can do a B+. Yes, niner does offer frames in small sizes but they had to keep the chainstays fairly long to do so. In reality, I doubt that many small riders are bombing 160mm travel 29er bikes. Bender not withstanding .

I'll take shorter travel, shorter stays, and a real shock to make the best use of the travel. Cut to evil wreckoning.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    Reviews and reports help immensely but the only real test is- how many riders will buy your bikes. That remains to be seen. I certainly think there are significant improvements...the old Niners had mostly become seriously long in the tooth. However, too many have experience in building good bikes with modern geometry and excellent suspensions. There is too much string competition and I'm just not sure that even the new Niners will stand out in any way. Remains to be seen, and I wish Niner luck. I'm not jumping back on just yet.
    I definitely agree with this. There is very strong competition in the high end market and there remain a limited number of consumers who will be will to shell out for the high end bikes, especially the 4 and 5 star builds at the top end. If Niner can win the consumers over, great for them. If not, it will be a matter of time before we see them at discounted prices at certain web retailers.

I do like what Niner has done with the RKT, JET, and RIP RDO models, but I'm also going to take a wait and see approach as well.

mtbr member
    I just compared the High Tower geo to the new RIP. Very similar. Would be hard to notice the difference while riding IMO. Main difference would be the amount of travel 150 v 135. And the weird shock size of the RIP (216x63? Huh?) I'd like to compare against a Wreckoning, but I don't even see it on Evil's site. What's up with that?

Speaking of rear shocks, the lower mount looks like it would cause trouble to fit certain shocks, like a Fox X2. That sucks.

I'm not really seeing a reason to give up my v1 WFO yet. Save for maybe weight.

Oh and this vid is pretty sweet. Nice to see Nate give'r on "our" local trails. He doesn't seem to have any issues wrangling the big wheels and long travel around.

https://vimeo.com/173695756/173695756
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Until Niner gets these bikes into the demo vans not much point in speculating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentK View Post
    I just compared the High Tower geo to the new RIP. Very similar. Would be hard to notice the difference while riding IMO. Main difference would be the amount of travel 150 v 135. And the weird shock size of the RIP (216x63? Huh?) I'd like to compare against a Wreckoning, but I don't even see it on Evil's site. What's up with that?

Speaking of rear shocks, the lower mount looks like it would cause trouble to fit certain shocks, like a Fox X2. That sucks.

I'm not really seeing a reason to give up my v1 WFO yet. Save for maybe weight.

Oh and this vid is pretty sweet. Nice to see Nate give'r on "our" local trails. He doesn't seem to have any issues wrangling the big wheels and long travel around.

https://vimeo.com/173695756/173695756
    You were saying?

New: RIP 9 + JET 9 - 2017-s780_image.jpg

mtbr member
    Dude, sweet!

wretch
    New: RIP 9 + JET 9 - 2017-screenshot-2016-07-13-09.01.23.jpg

Here's the Wreck's geo.

mtbr member
    Dude, sweet!
    It's not mine, but I agree. Sweet indeed.

R-P
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Looking at the wreckoning figures I can´t let go of the thought of also an upgrade of the WFO. Why not going 160/170mm, 65 deg head angle, coil shock (like CC DBcoil CS), boost, and 27.5+ compatible? I cant really see why I would upgrade my current WFO to the new RIP. It is almost the same bike. I don't care much about carbon. The new WFO could well be in aluminium (or carbon front, alu rear). I want more travel and would like to go slacker. I would buy it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You were saying?

Name:	s780_image.jpg 
Views:	1915 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	1081799
    The front triangle looks really nice, really good job Niner. The rear triangle looks like Niner contacted Ellsworth to create it for them, maybe they did a collaboration, who knows. The front looks like such a piece of art as we would expect from Niner, then the sorry looking rear triangle. If we spotted this in the wild a month ago, we'd all swear it was a mule because they don't look right. Seems decal-less so maybe it is a testing mule but this is what Niner released.

mtbr member
    I got the image off VitalMTB. I believe it belongs to one of their sponsored Enduro riders.

Funny that you mentioned Ellsworth, the Jet 9 rear triangle really has a strong ICT vibe about it...Unfortunately.

New: RIP 9 + JET 9 - 2017-bike_epiphany29_black.jpg

New: RIP 9 + JET 9 - 2017-jet9rdo_14_938x540.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I dont see it at all. To me it looks like every other RT that niner has used on carbon frames. I certainly dont think it looks like that abomination of an ellsworth frame.

I got the image off VitalMTB. I believe it belongs to one of their sponsored Enduro riders.

Funny that you mentioned Ellsworth, the Jet 9 rear triangle really has a strong ICT vibe about it...Unfortunately.

Name:	Bike_Epiphany29_Black.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	1081916

Name:	JET9RDO_14_938x540.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	1081917
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious. :D

mtbr member
    Perhaps they over-engineered the rear to survive the most horrible of tomahawking down the mountain? I'm thinking I could snap that ellsworth just by looking at it wrong...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by R-P View Post
    Looking at the wreckoning figures I can´t let go of the thought of also an upgrade of the WFO. Why not going 160/170mm, 65 deg head angle, coil shock (like CC DBcoil CS), boost, and 27.5+ compatible? I cant really see why I would upgrade my current WFO to the new RIP. It is almost the same bike. I don't care much about carbon. The new WFO could well be in aluminium (or carbon front, alu rear). I want more travel and would like to go slacker. I would buy it!
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly. When I heard rumours of a "carbon WFO" a few months ago I thought it'd be pretty much like the Wreckoning. I would probably have thought pretty seriously about getting a bike like that, at least after they'd been around for long enough for any issues to be sorted out given that it's a carbon bike...

These look like they'd ride nicely though-and are the bikes that Niner should have made years ago IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    216x63mm is 8.5"x2.5", pretty sure that's the same as both the '14 WFO and according to Fanatyk Bike's website, the Wreckoning.

https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...nt=15092716099

mtbr member
    Ah, thanks for doing the conversion for me. In metric it sounded weird and unfamiliar. But 8.5x2.5 is pretty normal.

I need to ride one. For some reason I'm getting new bike-itis.

mtbr member
    Guerilla Gravity just released their Trail Pistol. 29/27.5+ 120mm travel bike. Frame is $2195 (aluminum). You can get one complete for $2995. Very tempting....

mtbr member
    Where are the details?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    It's on their website now.

Us existing owners (I have a megatrail) on their email distro got a sneak peak.

Guerrilla Gravity | Trail Pistol | Info, Geometry, and Specs

mtbr member
    I saw it last night, looks great!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    It's on their website now.

Itoh Yu AuuUs existing owners (I have a megatrail) on their email distro got a sneak peak.

Guerrilla Gravity | Trail Pistol | Info, Geometry, and Specs

mtbr member
    Just came upon the new Niner Jet. I either own currently or have owned the following bikes all of them CARBON framed 29ers and I ride or road the hell out of them:

12' Spec Stumpjumper
    12' Spec Epic
    12' Spec Camber
    13' Spec Camber
    13' Pivot 429C (2)
    14' Pivot 429SL
    15' Pivot 429 Trail
    13' Niner Jet RDO
    14' IBIS Ripley

Thank you for your patience in proving my credibility. Now that that's established here is my opine: The new Niner Jet configuration = MISTAKE. What were they thinking making it 3-4 pounds heaver!? Folks, I don't even know where to begin. Let me gather my thoughts. I will be back for more detailed fact based bashing later..... stay tuned

mtbr member
    Continuance..

It's funny how every time a new bike is released you hear the same bromide. "This travel combination really hits the sweet spot." Based on the new Niner full suspension line up apparently this means the best selling fork in the history of fork manufacturing (the 120mm) is now suddenly garbage, and if that wasn't enough, if the baby was the 120 fork the bathwater was the 100mm shock!

Why have they voided the real sweet spot: 120mm/100mm? They should have taken a page from Pivots book when Pivot evolved the 429C to the 429SL. Lighter, electronic shifting capability, better cable routing. Okay, maybe rake the steering tube a bit since that seems to be a popular trend. Sorry but tossing 120mm/100mm to the wind, adding pounds and basically telling me that to get something close to the former Jet that I have to ride a Niner version of the Epic, has really ticked me off.

If they are expecting the true Jet fan to go running to the Rocket they are mistaken. The Rocket is twitchy just like an Epic is twitchy and I hate twitchy race bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^^Well said, I don't know what they were thinking in what they did with these new bikes.

mtbr member
    ^^ I disagree

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper61 View Post
    Continuance..

It's funny how every time a new bike is released you hear the same bromide. "This travel combination really hits the sweet spot." Based on the new Niner full suspension line up apparently this means the best selling fork in the history of fork manufacturing (the 120mm) is now suddenly garbage, and if that wasn't enough, if the baby was the 120 fork the bathwater was the 100mm shock!

Why have they voided the real sweet spot: 120mm/100mm? They should have taken a page from Pivots book when Pivot evolved the 429C to the 429SL. Lighter, electronic shifting capability, better cable routing. Okay, maybe rake the steering tube a bit since that seems to be a popular trend. Sorry but tossing 120mm/100mm to the wind, adding pounds and basically telling me that to get something close to the former Jet that I have to ride a Niner version of the Epic, has really ticked me off.

If they are expecting the true Jet fan to go running to the Rocket they are mistaken. The Rocket is twitchy just like an Epic is twitchy and I hate twitchy race bikes.
    I dont agree with this at all. And its not like they are saying that your old bike sucks or that you cannot ride a 120mm fork (the new jet is supposed to be 120mm or 140mm). Its just that these are the new bikes and they are more modern. Also, I didnt see anything about it adding lbs to the bike. I seriously doubt that they'd make it lbs heavier. Perhaps the one you saw was just built to be a bit heavier duty? One of my shop guys is at the niner dealer event going on right now and he is saying that the new jet pedals every bit as good as the last jet even though it has more travel. It just rides a lot better downhill. I guess once more reviews start coming out we will see even more about it. I've been getting a lot of interested people into my shop and I think it'll likely be my next bike.

It sounds like you are really just a bit butt hurt because they released a new bike.
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious. :D

mtbr member
    ^^ Haha (the agree/disagree

Trek just released their new Slash 29er. New record for frame price and slack HTA, I believe.

Slash 29 Details

• Intended use: all-mountain / enduro race
    • Rear wheel travel: 150mm
    • Wheel size: 29''
    • 65.6º or 65.1º head angle w/ 160mm fork
    • Frame material: carbon
    • Metric shock sizing
    • 148mm Boost hub spacing
    • MSRP: $3,700 USD (frame w/ Float X2), $5,500 - $9,000 USD (complete bikes)
    • Trek Bikes - The world's best bikes and cycling gear | Trek Bikes, @trek

Not exactly what I envision a rider like stumpjumper would ride. But it's competition for the RIP for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Continuance..

Have you ridden an RKT9? Why would it be twitchier than the former Jet9? They have identical head tube angles. Sure, you lose 10mm of travel in the back, but you also lose almost an inch of rear center as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    I dont agree with this at all. And its not like they are saying that your old bike sucks or that you cannot ride a 120mm fork (the new jet is supposed to be 120mm or 140mm). Its just that these are the new bikes and they are more modern. Also, I didnt see anything about it adding lbs to the bike. I seriously doubt that they'd make it lbs heavier. Perhaps the one you saw was just built to be a bit heavier duty? One of my shop guys is at the niner dealer event going on right now and he is saying that the new jet pedals every bit as good as the last jet even though it has more travel. It just rides a lot better downhill. I guess once more reviews start coming out we will see even more about it. I've been getting a lot of interested people into my shop and I think it'll likely be my next bike.

It sounds like you are really just a bit butt hurt because they released a new bike.
    Sorry for pointing out a marketing blunder of epic proportions. What genus tossed out the best selling frame in the company's history? This is the equivalent of Volkswagon deciding to stop making the Beetle or maybe a better historical example would be "New" Coke. For the younger readers google "New Coke"

Their promotional video is an epic alright, an epic hood-wink! Why do you never see anyone pedaling UP a hill? Anybody round here ever heard of climbing a hill on a mountain bike? AS IF THE REAL WORLD IS ONE BIG DOWN HILL ORGASM. Cut me a break. To boot, these guy are going way faster than a person with any since of self preservation would attempt to go. I just simply reject your premise of "more modern" for the sake of running the edge of disaster down hill.

There is no way this bike climbs as well as the former design and I guarantee this design weighs substantially more. You can't change the fact that a 130mm boost fork weighs more. You can't change the fact that you have a larger shock and the CVA pivot arm is larger and is aluminum (not carbon like the former RDO) and weigh more....and the rear triangle with wider boost spacing and on an on.. Have fun dragging a 28 pound bike up hill while I pedal a 24 and believe me I will be right on you when we turn around to go back down.......see ya. ..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sorry for pointing out a marketing blunder of epic proportions. What genus tossed out the best selling frame in the company's history? This is the equivalent of Volkswagon deciding to stop making the Beetle or maybe a better historical example would be "New" Coke. For the younger readers google "New Coke"

Their promotional video is an epic alright, an epic hood-wink! Why do you never see anyone pedaling UP a hill? Anybody round here ever heard of climbing a hill on a mountain bike? AS IF THE REAL WORLD IS ONE BIG DOWN HILL ORGASM. Cut me a break. To boot, these guy are going way faster than a person with any since of self preservation would attempt to go. I just simply reject your premise of "more modern" for the sake of running the edge of disaster down hill.

There is no way this bike climbs as well as the former design and I guarantee this design weighs substantially more. You can't change the fact that a 130mm boost fork weighs more. You can't change the fact that you have a larger shock and the CVA pivot arm is larger and is aluminum (not carbon like the former RDO) and weigh more....and the rear triangle with wider boost spacing and on an on.. Have fun dragging a 28 pound bike up hill while I pedal a 24 and believe me I will be right on you when we turn around to go back down.......see ya. ..
    Sounds like you are talking a lot without knowing anything. How many Jet9s did they sell last year? No one is buying an XC bike with 18" chainstays anymore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Sounds like you are talking a lot without knowing anything. How many Jet9s did they sell last year? No one is buying an XC bike with 18" chainstays anymore.
    If you read my earlier post I said a few changes to the geometry would be preferred with retaining the travel combination, not throwing the entire bike in the trash can.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you read my earlier post I said a few changes to the geometry would be preferred with retaining the travel combination, not throwing the entire bike in the trash can.
    How is the RKT9 not that bike? It will take a 120mm fork. Is the loss of 10mm suspension a deal breaker? Honest question. It seems like given the premium you place on weight, a little less travel might be worth saving well over half a pound on the frame. Otherwise, it is a JET9 with updated geometry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Cheers
    Ibis just redid the HD3 (150mm) to accommodate 275+. No 29 option of course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    How is the RKT9 not that bike? It will take a 120mm fork. Is the loss of 10mm suspension a deal breaker? Honest question. It seems like given the premium you place on weight, a little less travel might be worth saving well over half a pound on the frame. Otherwise, it is a JET9 with updated geometry.
    429C to 429SL kept the travel combo and lost 1 pound with better frame manufacturing techniques. No boost but who cares, I'm not going to wider rims & tires anyway, 142mm in all I'll ever need.

If the Jet redux kept the 120/100, and in so doing didn't rake the head tube due to the shorter 120 fork, then I would be all in. Even if they went to 148 boost I would be Okay but this rendition is going way too far evidenced by their own re-classification

The Epic is the worst riding carbon 29er I have ever ridden. Piece of total garbage. If somebody dropped a Lincoln on the trail and you road over it you would notice. I didn't keep that bike for more than 4 months and got rid of it. Risking $3,000.00 to learn that the Rocket is Niner's version of the EPIC is too big of a risk for me. Meanwhile the former Jet was my favorite bike of the lot. I'll keep riding the old outdated Jet and adhere to my credo: 'Capable' is a euphemism for 'Heavier'

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    429C to 429SL kept the travel combo and lost 1 pound with better frame manufacturing techniques. No boost but who cares, I'm not going to wider rims & tires anyway, 142mm in all I'll ever need.

If the Jet redux kept the 120/100, and in so doing didn't rake the head tube due to the shorter 120 fork, then I would be all in. Even if they went to 148 boost I would be Okay but this rendition is going way too far evidenced by their own re-classification

The Epic is the worst riding carbon 29er I have ever ridden. Piece of total garbage. If somebody dropped a Lincoln on the trail and you road over it you would notice. I didn't keep that bike for more than 4 months and got rid of it. Risking $3,000.00 to learn that the Rocket is Niner's version of the EPIC is too big of a risk for me. Meanwhile the former Jet was my favorite bike of the lot. I'll keep riding the old outdated Jet and adhere to my credo: 'Capable' is a euphemism for 'Heavier'
    Why would you assume that the RKT9 will have worse suspension performance than the former JET9? The JET9 RDO was Niner's premier XC-racing platform and now the RKT9 is Niner's premier XC-racing platform. Neither of them is a Specialized Epic, which is well known for riding like a hardtail with some give in the back. The fundamental problem here is that you think you know what a RKT9 rides like without ever having ridden one.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Stumpjumper61, you seem a little too worked up over this. If you dont like the bike then you dont have to buy it. Keep your jet and love it until the end of time if you want. I dont see any reason to poopoo updates to an already great bike. And NOBODY wants to watch a video of some guys riding up a hill to a trail. That is like watching gopro footage, its just not good.

And above all else, dont forget that we are talking about bikes. It should be fun.

mtbr member
    Stumpjumper61, you seem a little too worked up over this. If you dont like the bike then you dont have to buy it. Keep your jet and love it until the end of time if you want. I dont see any reason to poopoo updates to an already great bike. And NOBODY wants to watch a video of some guys riding up a hill to a trail. That is like watching gopro footage, its just not good.

And above all else, dont forget that we are talking about bikes. It should be fun.
    People. You can't classify something as an update just because it has the same name. This is not an update, this is a hi-jacking. This is making a VW Beetle look like Scion and still having the balls to call it a Beetle. Sorry but even Volkswagon was smart enough to call it a Jetta.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    People. You can't classify something as an update just because it has the same name. This is not and update, this is a hi-jacking. This is making a VW Beetle look like Scion and still having the balls to call it a Beetle. Sorry but even Volkswagon was smart enough to call it a Jetta.
    You are right. The new JET9 is a totally different bike. The updated JET9 is now called the RKT9, and it has 90mm rear travel instead of 100mm, but is otherwise a refined version of the JET9.

mtbr member
    I bet the new Jet can still be built up pretty light and would perform adequately in a pinch if you were to race it. Hell, I would have no problem racing my Ripley LS which is also 120mm rear travel. Ideal? No. More fun when not racing, yes.

mtbr member
    The new Niner Jet configuration = MISTAKE. What were they thinking making it 3-4 pounds heaver!? Folks, I don't even know where to begin. Let me gather my thoughts. I will be back for more detailed fact based bashing later..... stay tuned

With the deletion of the WFO from Niners lineup, it seems they just renamed all the other models.

The Jet9 is now heavier and more travel because it's a rebadged RIP 9. The RKT is new(er) in the lineup and replaces what used to be called the Jet9.

Though, I have similar thoughts on the new RIP9, the 150/160mm of travel is following what seems to be a trend of huge travel, plus size tires. I'm very happy with my '14 RIP.

mtbr member
    My awesome Jet RDO only uses -90% of its travel, so I wont write off the RKT for rough trails... til I actually ride one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by pedaler845 View Post
    My awesome Jet RDO only uses -90% of its travel, so I wont write off the RKT for rough trails... til I actually ride one.
    I wonder if Niner is considering making a tweaked version of the RKT that would have 100mm of travel, similar to what some other manufacturers have done where travel options are available.

For example, they could have an RKT with 90 rear/100 front that is the pure bred racing bike, and then a RKT with 100 rear/120 front build that is offered as more of a "trail" build. This would provide a nice option between the existing RKT and new Jet 9 RDO.

Just a thought...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Continuance..

Read your post. To me this kind of sounds like you are saying why did Porsche add 40 horsepower and 100 pounds of suspension enhancements to their new cars to make faster cars.

It's natural evolution. The 20mm more travel, boost rear, similar frame weight, updated geometry and standard BSA bottom brackets everyone has been asking for, AND ability to run 29" and 27x3.0" tires are all positives for the new JET9.

Several guys on our team have RKT's set up with 120mm RS1's and they are coming off of the original JET9 RDO. They are shattering their big loop times both uphill and big downhills compared to the JET9's, so not sure your "twitchy race bike" comment is accurate when RKT9's seem faster all around than the v1 JET9 RDO they replaced.

mtbr member
    Here's my question. Has anyone ridden either of these bikes, and if so what did you think?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I was able to ride the new jet for about 15 minutes at a demo yesterday. Unfortunately, rain from the previous night limited how much trail we could use. I rode a 3 star plus build, so not impressively light on paper. I was pleasently surprised by how lively and light the bike felt underneath me, just while pedaling around in a parking lot and a very short(~200 meters) mostly flat trail. The plus thing is intriguing to me. I could see myself enjoying messing with tire pressures to adjust the ride. The bike is definitely more slacked out than the old jet, and it's something you notice when you're looking at the bike's profile. However, that wasn't something I really noticed while I was riding it. The shorter back end is definitely noticeable. The front end is very easy to pick up. I do think proper suspension setup will be crucial on this bike(as it should be). All that being said, I will probably end up buying one.

mtbr member
    Read your post. To me this kind of sounds like you are saying why did Porsche add 40 horsepower and 100 pounds of suspension enhancements to their new cars to make faster cars.

It's natural evolution. The 20mm more travel, boost rear, similar frame weight, updated geometry and standard BSA bottom brackets everyone has been asking for, AND ability to run 29" and 27x3.0" tires are all positives for the new JET9.

Several guys on our team have RKT's set up with 120mm RS1's and they are coming off of the original JET9 RDO. They are shattering their big loop times both uphill and big downhills compared to the JET9's, so not sure your "twitchy race bike" comment is accurate when RKT9's seem faster all around than the v1 JET9 RDO they replaced.
    There is a nickname in the industry for the EPIC that the sales reps use. They call it the "1 hour bike". After one hour in the saddle you can't stand it anymore. How many of Niner customers enter organized races? 1%? THE EPIC IS 100mm in the rear. So what does this tell us about the Rocket? My money is on the Rocket becoming the new "1 hour bike"

mtbr member
    May 2012
    There is a nickname in the industry for the EPIC that the sales reps use. They call it the "1 hour bike". After one hour in the saddle you can't stand it anymore. How many of Niner customers enter organized races? 1%? THE EPIC IS 100mm in the rear. So what does this tell us about the Rocket? My money is on the Rocket becoming the new "1 hour bike"
    I'd start with the fact that the jet is 120mm. I'd also look at how it's a completely different bike than the epic. Also, having owned both a jet rdo, epic, and rkt I can tell you with great confidence that the rkt is about a 7 hour bike for me. I've taken it bike packing on trails more than a few times and toed up to my fair share of starting lines and I'd take it over an epic any day. That said, I'm getting older and I don't move like a fast xc guy anymore and the jet is in the center of my radar

mtbr member
    I'd start with the fact that the jet is 120mm. I'd also look at how it's a completely different bike than the epic. Also, having owned both a jet rdo, epic, and rkt I can tell you with great confidence that the rkt is about a 7 hour bike for me. I've taken it bike packing on trails more than a few times and toed up to my fair share of starting lines and I'd take it over an epic any day. That said, I'm getting older and I don't move like a fast xc guy anymore and the jet is in the center of my radar
    If the new Jet could take a 120 I might think about it. If Stan's Valors would make the new Jet 25 lbs I would think about it even more. I suppose its between making the Rocket more like a trail bike or making the Jet more like a Race bike.

mtbr member
    After all the B&Ming I ordered a Jet Frame today. Ships out on 16 August. I suppose we will see what happens..

mtbr member
    Here it is.

25 lbs 4 oz

Nox carbon wheels, XX1, XTR brakes, Fox 34 130mm

First impressions. Higher bottom bracket than 429 Trail by 1/2" but at the same time I feel lower in the cockpit? Don't know how they did it. Did not compare head tube geometry but it seems slightly more slack than the 429 trail. Great ride!

" width="549">" width="549">

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Whoa! What is up with that stem? You glue two together or something? And why no dropper?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Any comparisons to the outgoing rip9?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Here it is.

25 lbs 4 oz

Nox carbon wheels, XX1, XTR brakes, Fox 34 130mm

First impressions. Higher bottom bracket than 429 Trail by 1/2" but at the same time I feel lower in the cockpit? Don't know how they did it. Did not compare head tube geometry but it seems slightly more slack than the 429 trail. Great ride!

" width="549">" width="549">
    Wow that looks great. I'm glad to see your bike in the 25lbs range, as that is my goal. Which nox's did you go with? I'm planning a teocalli/dt240s build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Very interested to hear how it compares to the Ripley. I bailed on Niner (jet 9 RDO and RIP 9 RDO) and really like my Ripley compared to the Niners I had in the past.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Stumpjumper I think you might be letting your preconceived notions get in the way of getting the fullest out of your new bike.

Holy hell get a dropper and a shorter stem on that thing stat.

mtbr member
    Realized why I felt lower. Didn't have the shock sag right. This shock takes about 25% more air than the Pivot 429. Pivot 429 I use about 145 pounds of air. I need about 190 lbs in this shock for the same amount of sag. Also added a 20mm offset seat post. I just can't ride a straight seat post. I need a long cockpit. Just the way it is with me. New pics and weight should be up this week when I take delivery of the PIKE.

I was trying to hard to save weight when I bought that crap FOX 34. If anyone is looking to keep their orthopedist in business then get the 34. If you actually need good front suspension that actually cancels the chatter get a PIKE and take the hit on about +10 ounces net.

My prediction on the new weight is 25 LBS 15oz

SPECIALizED
    Picked up my Jet 9 RDO Plus with a 2 star build yesterday. I put three good rides on a demo before I purchased my own. I am really in love with this bike. Can't wait to put some miles on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Both the black and the yellow Jet 9 RDO's posted above look gorgeous. Gratz on the new bikes!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Love the sticker. I always look at that spot when grinding a climb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chilling out
    UPSed, very lovely but too clean by far. ;^)

For those that haven't been following the RIP 9 RDO thread TitusQuasi started I'm very happy with mine. Short version is it was delivered to me 8/31 and I now have a few hundred miles of riding on it in areas including PA (varied), NJ (varied), NY (Ithaca), CO (Denver, Buena Vista, Gunnison), and UT (Moab).

My bike is the 3 Star XT 27.5+ build almost stock, changes and setup detailed in this post but the only significant spec change I made was to swap the stock rear hub for a Industry 9 Torch. Bike weighed in at 30# with pedals after initial build. If someone was truly gram focused I'm guessing you could bring it down to 29 or 28 pretty easily with some $ for carbon exchange (bar, stem, cranks, rims) and not change the ride character or durability significantly.

I'm no lightweight racer (220-230# nekkid) and not the fast climber in the group, but if you have problem climbing with the RIP9RDO it's not the bike's fault IMO. I'm a keyboard jockey by day, and not *cough* a *cough* young whip but even I was able to make some of the climb up to Burro Pass in Moab and pretty much everything else I've thrown muscle into, the bike seems mysteriously happy with stand-and-attack climbing. Burro Pass would have been even more doable with the stock 46t low gear, as I only had 42t when there.

Should someone get the RIP 9 RDO who wants an marathon race / XC race rig? I doubt it, but it could serve - particularly for a heavier rider. I would do it with the bike, but I have along history of racing overbuilt bikes for the course. {shrug}

Should someone get it who wants an all day shut-up and ride bike? Sure. Absolutely. While I'd be surprised if it doesn't give up something in climbing to the JET 9 and similar lower-travel competitors I'd be surprised if it gave up anything noticeable outside a Strava Junkie's (stated with affection not antagonism) interest.

FWIW, I've grown quite, er, non-plussed for lack of a better word, with much of my home area trails (Scranton / Wilkes-Barre area) as I'm too spoiled by having traveled and ridden in a number of other regions and countries and I find my area overly homogenous with NE PA incessant rock n root n slow pace trail and nearly nothing else, close by at least.

Strangely, every time I've gotten my lazy arse out locally on my RIP9, even now in my least favorite riding season (damp leaf-fall covered crap) I've ended up with a smile on my face.

I had lost most of the ability to do that with my prior FS (Yeti SB95, which I really enjoyed overall), my HT (MCR9), or any number of borrowed bikes.

I don't know how much of it is RIP9 and how much of it is 27.5+ and how much is New Bike Syndrome. I'll figure out the wheel size thing later this winter, and NBS will eventually wear off, so we'll see.

I even completed one of my local regular loops recently (~10m at Moon Lake Recreation Area) in faux-singlespeed mode - stayed in 32x21 the entire time - completely surprised myself by being able to make all but one of the climbs. Not sure why I did it, but it happened.

New: RIP 9 + JET 9 - 2017-pa240010x1280.jpg

Rocks belong
    Just barely making the wild and they're already 20% off during Jenson's 20% off full priced items sale... plus an additional 10% cashback from Active Junky.

They also show a 'reactor' color for the alloy Rip9
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Just barely making the wild and they're already 20% off during Jenson's 20% off full priced items sale... plus an additional 10% cashback from Active Junky.

This is crazy! I almost pulled the trigger on a Jet 9 RDO a few weeks ago. i ended up going with the new fuel. I really could have went either way and been happy.

In the end I am happy to have not bought the Jet due to the price I almost paid!

10,000,000 Watts

What's Active Junky? I may buy another Rip. It will be my 5th one!

mtbr member
    For those interested here's the weight for the new Jet 9 RDO. Includes seatpost collar and rear maxle!

The color is amazing! It's actually a matte finish.

New: RIP 9 + JET 9 - 2017-img_6862.jpg

mtbr member

You can always get some percentage back through Active Junky and the like. You never see someone like Jenson allowing a money off coupon on complete bikes, however.

My guess is that Niner OK'd the promotion to help push some of these new models onto the trail.

No matter...what an incredible deal!

mtbr member
    So...with the Jenson + Active Junky discount I just couldn't pass up the opportunity.

An XL Aluminum RIP 27.5+ is headed my way. Only cost me $2785 (once the AJ cash back comes in).

Yes, please!

mtbr member
    Just finished building the Jet 9 RDO up. This bike looks amazing! I can't wait to get it ou on the trails.

Weighs in at 26lbs 12oz without pedals. I switched out the Rekon on the front for a 2.8 HR II and put the Rekon in the back. I also put on an Absolute Black 32t oval ring.

New: RIP 9 + JET 9 - 2017-img_6885.jpg

New: RIP 9 + JET 9 - 2017-img_6886.jpg

New: RIP 9 + JET 9 - 2017-img_6884.jpg

Will check back in with a ride report after a couple rides

10,000,000 Watts
    Nice bike.

Chilling out
    Fun. Interesting choice with the tires. I would have gone the other way as traditionally I find the HR drifts earlier on a corner than something like the Rekon (which has less gap of tread in the transition from center to shoulder).

For that matter, most Maxxis tires have that intermediate knob gap. {shrug}

I bet that's one super all around rig though. ;^)

10,000,000 Watts
    How are you all liking your is dropzone post? Can it be all internal?

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    How are you all liking your is dropzone post? Can it be all internal?
    So far I think the Dropzone R works super well. It has the least side-2-side play of any dropper I've had my hands on - basically as laterally stable as a rigid post. Seriously. I only have had it for about 8 weeks and a few hundred trail miles, so keep that grain of salt handy. I've had the top collar work loose once, noticed it during a ride and tightened it by hand and no repeat. No air loss in the spring. Lever action has been fine, and I like how the cable attaches to the post as it's truly easy to engage/disengage when wanting the cable out of the way. Much better than the Specialized droppers, for example.

It IS NOT an internally routed dropper. I suppose you could do it hybrid, by routing the housing from the lever inside the down tube and then bring it out the lower downtube port so that the only exposed cable housing is from the saddle down to the lower port, I'm just unsure it's worth the effort. You would also need to run the cable inside at least the upper linkage, but I don't think that's an issue at all. The way my housing goes when slamming the post it basically rests a loop between the upper linkage and the seat tube. No issues.

Notably I can not compare it with other late model droppers as they're not available to me ... notably, not a recent Reverb or any Thomson, or the new Raceface or 9point8 either.

10,000,000 Watts
    Thanks for the feedback, I am going to have a brand new one for sale as I've had great success with the command post ircc.

Chilling out
    Thanks for the feedback, I am going to have a brand new one for sale as I've had great success with the command post ircc.
    Trade for my newly rebuilt CommandPost Blacklite?

mtbr member
    Did anyone else get the Jenson 20% + Active Junky 10% on a Niner bike?

I ordered the bike and got the confirmation from Jenson on the 20% discount. I had clicked through AJ just like normal but never got confirmation on my cash back. I opened a case with AJ and they said they submitted the issue to Jenson. This is the first time I've had an issue with AJ.

Additionally, the Niner bikes are now not available in Jenson's 20% off promo. And my bike that was in stock is just sitting in the "open order" position even though it should have shipped yesterday. I'm wondering if Jenson can do something to negate ad sharing when they please...

10,000,000 Watts
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Trade for my newly rebuilt CommandPost Blacklite?
    No, not a fan of the blacklite, been there, done that!

10,000,000 Watts
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Did anyone else get the Jenson 20% + Active Junky 10% on a Niner bike?

I ordered the bike and got the confirmation from Jenson on the 20% discount. I had clicked through AJ just like normal but never got confirmation on my cash back. I opened a case with AJ and they said they submitted the issue to Jenson. This is the first time I've had an issue with AJ.

Additionally, the Niner bikes are now not available in Jenson's 20% off promo. And my bike that was in stock is just sitting in the "open order" position even though it should have shipped yesterday. I'm wondering if Jenson can do something to negate ad sharing when they please...
    Yes, I did. Rip 9. 5th one I've owned. Everything cool with discounts and has shipped. Mine was ordered Sunday.

Chilling out
    No, not a fan of the blacklite, been there, done that!
    Fair enough. I don't like it's long term durability, but as I got it for cheap I can't complain a *lot* (at this points factor rebuild has brought it up to MSRP investment though).

Rocks belong
    I've had recent issues with Jenson and Active Junky as well. As long as you have the tracked 'click' and used that to open the case, you should be fine. I've always had AJ honor Jenson's stuff, even after the fact.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The issue is your web browser. Chrome doesn't seem to work when using the link from AJ to Jenson. I've always had to contact them to go back and confirm the purchase. When I use IE or Edge browsers, the purchase always gets confirmed automatically.

Rocks belong
    I use Firefox and Chrome. AJ works for every site EXCEPT Jenson.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordzkof View Post
    The issue is your web browser. Chrome doesn't seem to work when using the link from AJ to Jenson. I've always had to contact them to go back and confirm the purchase. When I use IE or Edge browsers, the purchase always gets confirmed automatically.
    Interesting...I was on Chrome. I have used AJ + Jenson on Chrome many times over the past couple years and this is a first. AJ actually returned my call and sounded confident that they would be able to trace the purchase and that Jenson was always willing to work with them.

Case was opened on Monday and they said it could take up to 7 days...still hoping this goes through.

Rocks belong
    Got your cashback yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Is anyone looking for a 17" Rip 9 RDO Frame size Large? I'm testing the waters and hoping to get out from under this monster of a bike. Btw, I had no idea this thing was such a beast. These new RIPS are aggressive monsters and I had no idea they would be. Cross country trail riders need not inquire. ha

mtbr member
    Got your cashback yet?
    Not yet. AJ says it is in Jenson's hands. I'm about to contact Jenson personally and ask "what's up?"

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Not yet. AJ says it is in Jenson's hands. I'm about to contact Jenson personally and ask "what's up?"
    Mine's now at 14 days, asked AJ for an update.

Let's hope they don't pull some shenanigans and deny it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikers Only View Post
    Just finished building the Jet 9 RDO up. This bike looks amazing! I can't wait to get it ou on the trails.

Weighs in at 26lbs 12oz without pedals. I switched out the Rekon on the front for a 2.8 HR II and put the Rekon in the back. I also put on an Absolute Black 32t oval ring.

Name:	IMG_6885.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	1103014

Name:	IMG_6886.jpg 
Views:	952 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	1103015

Name:	IMG_6884.jpg 
Views:	2363 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	1103016

Will check back in with a ride report after a couple rides
    What are the build specs on this bike?

How are you liking it?

I've put the 27.5+ version of this bike on my radar.

Rocks belong
    Decided to stay with 27.5

Got a new, in box, Large RIP9 alloy 29er for sale if anyone wants it. Got the Jenson deal and willing to pass it on to the MTBR crowd.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Like Bear, my rear Neo hub just blew out. I noticed my shifting was poor and acting up. I have yet to take the cassette off, but the axle doesn't spin smoothly at all.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    remove

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Can anyone comment on how the new Jet compares to the Intense Primer or Pivot 429T?

29er zealot
    I've gotten in a few rides on my new Jet, including a weekend in Pisgah. I've hit the lower linkage a couple times on rocks. Any chance anyone has made a skid plate for a 2017 Jet9 RDO and care to share their plans?

mtbr member
    I claimed earlier in this thread right after I got this bike that the BB seemed higher but I seem to have more pedal strikes on this bike than the Pivot 429 trail now that I have been riding it for 8 months. I don't like the higher volume rear shock where I need 180 pounds to get the same sag as the shocks in the previous generation of these bike had (like the 429 trail). The small bump compliance if not as plush either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Would volume spacers solve the problems? Require less psi to get the same sag? I really am curious how the JET 9 and 429T compare. Tons of reviews and 429T. Not much on the new Jet

mtbr member
    I got a short demo ride on the new 27.5+ Jet 9 out in Sycamore Canyon in Riverside, CA. Great bike and very comfortable. It climbs really well and pedals very efficiently. After reading some of the reviews I wasn't sure I'd like it, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I did get 1 pedal strike, but that was due to poor pedal position. Might need to rename the brand to 'Niner & Friends' though.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

10,000,000 Watts
    Quote Originally Posted by froth14 View Post
    I've gotten in a few rides on my new Jet, including a weekend in Pisgah. I've hit the lower linkage a couple times on rocks. Any chance anyone has made a skid plate for a 2017 Jet9 RDO and care to share their plans?
    Try "Cytoe" on this forum, he makes them.
    Mountain Bikers Do It Til They Bonk!

American Made!
    Demoing a XT build 29er this am...really curious how it handles as on paper it looks like my current ride, Transition Smuggler which I love!, but should climb a bit better lol
    We shall see!

What is thy bidding, my master.

SPECIALizED
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1clyde View Post
    Demoing a XT build 29er this am...really curious how it handles as on paper it looks like my current ride, Transition Smuggler which I love!, but should climb a bit better lol
    We shall see!

Please report back. I love the way mine handles set up as a 27.5 +. I won a set of Ibis 938 wheels and am anxious to try them out.

American Made!

Quote Originally Posted by UPSed View Post
    Please report back. I love the way mine handles set up as a 27.5 +. I won a set of Ibis 938 wheels and am anxious to try them out.
    So I will say I'm impressed!

Ran completely stock, I am not a fan of the ardent on the front in the loose over hard we have here in Socal, and besides a necessary tire, saddle, grip and handlebar swap I like it.
    Suspension completely open on a 14 mile loop with 1300ft up and down with lots of flow, g-outs and water crossings and never felt the need to lock out the rear. Pike is what I run on my smuggler so familiar with it on the Jet 9 and it never disappoints. XT drivetrain and brakes are killer as always. I'd like a bit wider rim but that would go hand in hand with some Minions front and rear

This felt like a carbon Smuggler...I think I'm sold!
    Size large completely stock with HT pedals weighed in at just over 29 lbs, i felt the lighter weight on the punchy uphills but on a couple fireroad style climbs we hit it just cruises right along.
    Descending was right where I was hoping it would be, planted and easy to redirect and hit multiple natural and man made hits with ease.

Im also "Clydesdale" status and did not feel frame flex so not sure what some other reviews were talking about. Nice and straight under power on the ups and railed a some bermy turns where the squirm came from the ardent, not the frame.

Will be taking the demo bike to big bear next week where I will go for a all dayer and see how it performs in more chunk and ruts and longer sustained single track climbs, excited!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SPECIALizED
    So I will say I'm impressed!

Ran completely stock, I am not a fan of the ardent on the front in the loose over hard we have here in Socal, and besides a necessary tire, saddle, grip and handlebar swap I like it.
    Suspension completely open on a 14 mile loop with 1300ft up and down with lots of flow, g-outs and water crossings and never felt the need to lock out the rear. Pike is what I run on my smuggler so familiar with it on the Jet 9 and it never disappoints. XT drivetrain and brakes are killer as always. I'd like a bit wider rim but that would go hand in hand with some Minions front and rear

This felt like a carbon Smuggler...I think I'm sold!
    Size large completely stock with HT pedals weighed in at just over 29 lbs, i felt the lighter weight on the punchy uphills but on a couple fireroad style climbs we hit it just cruises right along.
    Descending was right where I was hoping it would be, planted and easy to redirect and hit multiple natural and man made hits with ease.

Im also "Clydesdale" status and did not feel frame flex so not sure what some other reviews were talking about. Nice and straight under power on the ups and railed a some bermy turns where the squirm came from the ardent, not the frame.

Will be taking the demo bike to big bear next week where I will go for a all dayer and see how it performs in more chunk and ruts and longer sustained single track climbs, excited!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Great feedback. I am with you on the Ardents. I ran them for a short time on my 29er but went to the Minions after experiencing what you did. I went with the 27.5 + build as it comes with the 140 Pike as opposed to the 130 on the 29er build. After six months and several hundred miles I had no plans on trying it as a 29er. But with several tires lying around and a free wheelset I have nothing to lose. And now I'm really anxious to try it out. Thanks again for the feedback.

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSed View Post
    Great feedback. I am with you on the Ardents. I ran them for a short time on my 29er but went to the Minions after experiencing what you did. I went with the 27.5 + build as it comes with the 140 Pike as opposed to the 130 on the 29er build. After six months and several hundred miles I had no plans on trying it as a 29er. But with several tires lying around and a free wheelset I have nothing to lose. And now I'm really anxious to try it out. Thanks again for the feedback.
    I ran my smuggler 27.5 plus, it fits !, but actually had bad luck on rear tires. Once on a trip to Utah shredded the rear and then again in Tahoe. It was the Wtb tread and Maxxis had not released the minion plus yet. I am going to build a boost set of 27.5 plus just to have minion f and r for Loose stuff!

SPECIALizED
    I ran my smuggler 27.5 plus, it fits !, but actually had bad luck on rear tires. Once on a trip to Utah shredded the rear and then again in Tahoe. It was the Wtb tread and Maxxis had not released the minion plus yet. I am going to build a boost set of 27.5 plus just to have minion f and r for Loose stuff!

Yeah. There is no substitute for the Minions. I'm running a DHF in the front and a Rekon in the rear. Not sure what I will try in the rear when the Rekon wears out. I ran a 2.5 DHF front and a 2.3 Minion SS rear on my 29er. Hoping they come out with an SS Plus!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Whata the limit of the Jet as far drops Where does rhe Jet max out rhe the Rio take over?

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Whata the limit of the Jet as far drops Where does rhe Jet max out rhe the Rio take over?
    That's more a rider skill issue than anything else, IMO, with two bikes having only about an inch of suspension travel difference.

A "hack" rider on the RIP will break it faster on the same jumps and drops than an excellent rider on the JET.

But, as a rule of thumb as it were, if you're regularly intending drops over 3' and long jumps, extended downhill riding at race pace, taking the machine to bike parks regularly, I'd think the RIP9 more the machine; more in it's target zone (as shown by travel, piggback shock, and marginally more material in the frameset).

If you're doing those things infrequently I'd think the JET9 would be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Was thinking drips like trips to Moab and riding Porc Rim.