New 2020 RIP 9 RDO Rattling like crazy on first ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

New 2020 RIP 9 RDO Rattling like crazy on first ride

I recently purchased a 2020 Niner RIP 9 RDO 4 star build and took it out for it's first ride today. However straight away I discovered that the bike was rattling everywhere when jostled by even the slightest bump. At first I noticed it coming from the front, but when doing even small drops I could hear additional clanging from the rear.

When I took a close look, it appears all the internally routed cables are banging around as there is no grommet to dampen and hold the cable/hoses tight in place anywhere where they enter the frame. Looking at some pictures of review bikes on the internet, all those bikes have some sort of rubber or plastic guide at the hole in the frame where the hoses are routed.

Right now on my bike they are pretty loose and easily can be moved around, clacking into the frame with little effort. Is that normal? I've never had a bike rattle like this.

If something is missing, this would not be surprising. When I got the bike, the rear brake caliper was so badly aligned that the rear wheel could not move AND the bleed nipple was loose and leaking fluid, so I had to bleed the brakes since there was so much missing fluid, not to mention the shifter cable was barely held in place on the derailleur.

See the example image of the grommet I do not have anywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Sounds the shop missed a few things.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I reached out to Niner and they arranged to get me the missing plastic parts. Very quick and helpful response from them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Where did you purchase your bike from? Online or LBS?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Where did you purchase your bike from? Online or LBS?
    Purchase online from a authorized seller. There is a Niner dealer only about 20 miles away from me, but I did not like the way they treated me when I visited them a ways back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Contact them and let them know whomever assembled the bike did not know what they were doing. They should pay to have a local shop fix the problems. If they do not, name and shame them.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by outside! View Post
    Contact them and let them know whomever assembled the bike did not know what they were doing. They should pay to have a local shop fix the problems. If they do not, name and shame them.
    I fixed the brake problems, luckily I have a Shimano bleed kit, so it was a quick fix. The missing plastic parts arrived today and thankfully they are split on once side, so they slip on the cables fairly easy. So I had them all in place in 10 minutes. All the cables/hoses are now nice and snug. Hopefully no more rattles...except the XT brake pads which there is not much I can do about that. Kudos to Niner for getting me sorted quickly.