MTBR Exclusive look at New NINER FS proto- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

MTBR Exclusive look at New NINER FS proto

We've been itching to let the veil off of her for about a week now to see what you think. This is a 6 inch travel AllMountain bike. We're not sure the market is ready yet for such a long travel bike, but we wanted to see what was possible. Because of the bent seat tube, we were able to keep the chainstays to 460mm. The ultimate angle of the seat tube above the pivot was determined by using a vitual placement of the seat (adjusted per size) and making the effective seat tube angle 73 degrees. Obviously, this angle will change slightly depending on the seat height. I've been prototyping this frame as a 26 inch wheel for about a year now, and refining it before converting it over to a 29er. As she sits (without pedals) she is 30.2 pounds. This includes some new heavy duty 29er rims from WTB. We would love to hear your comments and look forward to you posts.

Steve
    Niner Bikes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Peace,
    Niner Bikes

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member

One more shot

The lower link is one piece.
    Last edited by Niner Bikes; 09-14-2005 at 02:15 PM.

Peace,
    Niner Bikes

Reviewer/Tester
    ...Interesting..

Price?

R.
    It is inevitable ...

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Lot of pivot points.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Fork

Is the rear 6" with a 5" fork or is this a new fork from WB?

Int'l Man of Leisure
    Nice!!!

Recovering couch patato
    Steve, when I pray, is it you answering the call?

That bike is pretty much exactly what I've been looking to get as an ideal FS.
    But, I'm afriad your largest size won't be compatible with my long legs.
    Will these frame have a taller seattube top to not have lots of slack-angled seatpost taking the increased load?

Sure looks nice! Have you been riding it already?

mtbr member
    that's really lovely, with some superb machine work.

good stuff

Moderator Moderator
    Awesome. Please tell me this bike will be in my booth at Interbike!
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Well I must say very very nice. Look like a very sexy steed indeed. What may I ask is the fram weight???

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zon
    Lot of pivot points.
    This was my first thought. Would they get flexy with time. 30.2 sounds good if it's 5"+ of travel. Heavy if it's 4" or less.

Witty McWitterson
    Pretty nice looking. You guys are all over it! Interbike should be a good for ya.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbell
    This was my first thought. Would they get flexy with time. 30.2 sounds good if it's 5"+ of travel. Heavy if it's 4" or less.
    four pivots is the same as any horst link bike. I used larger bearings and have been hammering some downhill courses on the 26" version without issue of play. I won't be able to ride this version until after Interbike.

Peace,
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes
    four pivots is the same as any horst link bike. I used larger bearings and have been hammering some downhill courses on the 26" version without issue of play. I won't be able to ride this version until after Interbike.
    I guess similar to the VPP (all pivots near the front and none in the back) which I felt was laterally stiffer than FSR. I'm not being critical, just giving constructive criticism. Hope it was received that way.

I had the idea one time of a FS design which would be similar to the old ' 82 Suzuki RM-125s and 250s. They had a design back then called the Full Floater which worked great to combat squat when accelerating. Unfortunately, I think someone else alreday has a patent on such a design.

May 2005
    Holy s. Please stop making bikes. You're gonna make it hard to stick with my 12 step.

mtbr member
    The suspension looks similar to the concept that Balfa used with their 2Step FR frame - is this somewhat of an accurate statement?

I spent some time on a 2Step DH that I carried as a demo bike and for a 7" travel freeride bike it pedalled great and cornered like it was on rails. I never carried a 2Step FR as a demo, but other 2Step Riders really like the way the suspension worked on their 2Step frames - so perhaps you guys have taken that concept to the next level of refinement here with your 29er FS frame.

That bike looks truly amazing - and I give you guys mad props for really putting out some amazing frames in what seems to be a relatively short period of time as a company.

For comparison purposes:

Please produce this frame - people will buy it!!!!
    Last edited by MMcG; 09-14-2005 at 03:11 PM.

what a joke
    Wow, looks good. Cant wait to hear some ride reports.
    blah blah blah

Recovering couch patato
    Oh man, I bet with a bit bigger disc brakes and even tougher rims, that bike could really put some DH race bikes to shame!

mtbr member
    Oh yeah and if you need an East Coast Test pilot for this frame, please let me know as I'd be more than happy to oblige.

I can't stop coming back to this thread and looking at the photos over and over again.

mtbr member
    SWEET!

Looks a bit like it might function similar to a DW-Link Ironhorse or even the DW ripoff Giant Maestro stuff. Very cool. Throw a Mav DUC32 on the front and LOOK OUT!

Will you have a proto available to ride at Interbike? Not that I'll be there but it will be cool to hear how it rides.

Cheers!
    -Ian

mtbr member

Good job! Outstanding!

We've been itching to let the veil off of her for about a week now to see what you think. This is a 6 inch travel AllMountain bike. We're not sure the market is ready yet for such a long travel bike, but we wanted to see what was possible. Because of the bent seat tube, we were able to keep the chainstays to 460mm. The ultimate angle of the seat tube above the pivot was determined by using a vitual placement of the seat (adjusted per size) and making the effective seat tube angle 73 degrees. Obviously, this angle will change slightly depending on the seat height. I've been prototyping this frame as a 26 inch wheel for about a year now, and refining it before converting it over to a 29er. As she sits (without pedals) she is 30.2 pounds. This includes some new heavy duty 29er rims from WTB. We would love to hear your comments and look forward to you posts.

Steve
    Niner Bikes
    Please try other rear shocks ie Manitou Swinger 4 way

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    Or DHX 5.0 Air and Coil.
    blah blah blah

rider
    Jan 2005

Sweet looking ride!

My only worry is if my beloved Gravity Dropper Seatpost will work with such a steep ST angle. I may be in luck as I would need an XL sized frame and possibly it will not need to be so steep.

29erchico

mtbr member
    On the 26" version, I've tried every single shock availible with this design (that would fit). So far, the Fox is the only shock that will actually get the travel to the end of the shaft (the full 2.5" claim). I had trouble with both the Manitou and the 5th Element Air ramping up too quickly in the stroke, making the last 1/4" almost impossible to get.

I will definitly ride all of the shocks I can. I've spent some time on the new Rock Shox Pearl with good results. They're still doing some refining, but the shock felt very nice and the spring rate did not ramp up too quickly. I do want to stick with air, however, to keep the weight down.

Steve
    Niner Bikes
    Last edited by Niner Bikes; 09-14-2005 at 07:15 PM.

Peace,
    Niner Bikes

Recovering

Phenomenal

If you put that bike into production, I will be forced to buy one. Nice suspension design- is it different enough from the DW link to escape patent issues? I imagine the under-BB link might actually allow you to make the link stiffer than the DW-Link/Maestro above-BB link. The VPP suspension on my 26er Uzzi VPX is great. Would love to have a 29er with something similar. I've never salivated over a FS 29er like I have over that one...

what a joke
    DW link..... I am not overly familiar with this suspension design. Does anyone with more experience with it care to elaborate on its characteristics. Accelerating, braking etc when compared to other designs.

Cheers
    blah blah blah

kung food
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    DW link..... I am not overly familiar with this suspension design. Does anyone with more experience with it care to elaborate on its characteristics. Accelerating, braking etc when compared to other designs.

Cheers

pure sex. http://www.dw-link.com/

what a joke
    Hi Chris / Steve, how about some photos showing tire clearance. What sort of front derailer is that, BB mounted? Availability, sizing, pricing? This is the First FS 29er that I am excited about. 6" of travel has a lot to do with that.
    Last edited by ozlongboarder; 09-14-2005 at 06:47 PM.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    NICE!! That thing looks killer. Now we need more fork choices.

All thats missing is a 4" FS now! (please make one)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    Hi Chris / Steve, how about some photos showing tire clearance. What sort of front derailer is that, BB mounted? Availability, sizing, pricing? This is the First FS 29er that I am excited about. 6" of travel has a lot to do with that.
    Here's some more info for everybody:

Availibility is kind of depending on you. This can be availible as early as Dec/Jan, but we weren't sure what the reaction would be for a 6" travel bike, so we were planning on pushing it out a little further.

Here's a pic of the chainstay clearance with a 2.3 Exi. There's plenty of room for even bigger tires (hopefully a few will come along).

The derailleur right now is an E-Type derailleur. It's the best way I've found getting around the bent seat tube. Unfortunatly, because of the angle, a derailleur can not be mounted to the actual seat tube, so I designed the bike to use the e-type. Honestly, I think it works great. The only issue is they are harder to find. Not every bike store carries them.

Sizing and pricing are still TBD. Since this frame has a bent top tube to add stand over, we can make the seat tube longer, so, as Cloxxki stated, there won't be a mile of seat post putting an undo amount of stress on the top tube/seat tube junction. This will also allow for more seat tube adjustment, since it will bottom out where the bend is.

The frame weight, with rear shock is a little over 7 pounds for the medium. It has replaceable drop outs (both left and right, I'm still experimenting with a Rock Shox MAXLE rear system that they're offering for 06, replaceable left and right side drop outs allow me to offer an upgrade to this thru axle set up).

It seems like there is some good excitement. If we find out that there's enough interest (and by interest we mean people willing to plunk down some cash), we can put the frame on the fast track for development. It still has to go through cycle testing and a full shakedown to make sure it's ready for prime time.

Steve
    Niner Bikes
    Last edited by Niner Bikes; 09-14-2005 at 07:14 PM.

Peace,
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Am I the only person who thinks 6" and 29er wheels would be overkill?

I like the bike, but I won't order one unless its lighter and has less travel. All of my riding includes uphill.

My gloves stink

Please...a 4-inch travel version

How about something with about 4 inches travel? The only thing in that category is the Sugars.
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

what a joke
    How about a 6" and a 4" travel version. Keep everyone happy!!!
    blah blah blah

Powered by ice cream.
    Nice design Chris!

I especially love the tire clearance. A sure sign of intelligent design.

The linkage is reminiscent of DW-Link. I assume a bit of computer modeling went into the design. Did you have any certain goals of the design since this linkage can be tuned for various characteristics?

My main concern it the seat angle (a la Foes). It might be very difficult for folks with longer legs (like me) to get fit properly on this bike, as the saddle height goes up, the SA will get slack quite quickly, and saddle to bar reach will increase quickly as well. I think it's a great design, but fear it may not work for me.

rider
    Jan 2005

Any chance?

That a interupted ST design is possible w/o breaking the bank on mfg. costs? Really don't like the ST angle that I'm seeing. I have very long legs and need 33.75" center to top of the seat. Could put me way too far back. Plus my gravity dropper would not like the load that ST angle would apply to it. That angle is going to be hard on any post as well as the frame.

Would love to have that bike. But not being able to run a Dropper on it would be a crime.

29erchico

mtbr member
    Looks great. IMHO you have a niche right now in the 29er market for that kind of bike. I don't know when I will be able to afford it, but it looks like it would be great fun to ride on the roughest trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

4" version please !!

o.k. so I can appreciate the reason for making the (first?) 6" 29FS...but I too plead for a slightly lighter/shorter travel version. But kudos on coming up with what looks like a great design for the bigwheel set. Scandium, Cro-mo, Full Susp...can't wait to see what you guys come up with next.
    that rug really tied the room together.

Jul 2005

Steve
    Niner Bikes

First off, Thank you so much for getting out those new ti bolts to me. You guys are awesome.

As far as the frame goes, I am pretty interested. I have designed full suspension bikes before for a little company that will remain nameless here in this forum. We did horst link stuff. Not that that is the only design that works or anything, that was just what we did. That is only to give my opinion a little more weight I guess.

When I look at what I want in a 29er frame (and I do really want one, just the right one) I want something efficient, relatively lightweight and frankly somewhat inexpensive, or at least less than a Titus or the Asylum, like around $1200 to 1500 would be great. This frame of yours is pretty interesting, and I am sure lots of folks are wanting this but to me this needs to be a little lighter even if it meant less travel. One of the nice things about 29ers is I don't feel I need as much travel as I do on a 26er.

The pivots are cool and all, but isn't there a way to clean up the lines a bit? It just seems like too much metal. Especially with the location of that pivot in from of the bb. Maybe that is the magic spot but seems a bit combersome. But I think the piece immediately in front of the wheel looks pretty sweet. I bet ithe suspensions system works pretty well, it is just more than I am looking for in a frame. I want to get just because it is a 29er and freaking cool looking, but overkill for me probably.

build a multi pivot 29er with 4 or 5 inches 6lbs or less under $1500 and I will give you money now.

Overall though it looks great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's a handsome bike. I'm all for 6" of travel. And I'm in the market for a 29" bike... hmmm. Price neighborhood would be good: $1200-$1400? $1400-$1600? $300-$350

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    My main concern it the seat angle (a la Foes). It might be very difficult for folks with longer legs (like me) to get fit properly on this bike, as the saddle height goes up, the SA will get slack quite quickly, and saddle to bar reach will increase quickly as well. I think it's a great design, but fear it may not work for me.
    Couldn't you just run an inline post, or even a post flipped around so that the offset is forward instead of backwards?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I really like the looks of the bike, but the seat angle is to steep. I have 02 Norco Fluid with a steep seat angle, and when you raise the seat up high enough for taller riders it puts you too far behind the bottom bracket and you tend to use more hamstrings then you do the rest of your legs. Also I have bent two Thompson seat post because of the steep angle. It ends up putting a lot of stress on the post that it normally would not do on a bike with a 70 degree seat tube angle or steeper. Just my two cents, but probably not worth that.
    Last edited by Oliver; 09-14-2005 at 11:20 PM.

Cassoulet forever !
    I really like the bike.
    Good suspension design and the travel needed for real mountain ridding.

Like others, i have long legs and i think that the seat-tube angle may be to step for me.

Did you try the DT swiss shock ? It really is good.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

shorter travel

always nice to see a new 29" project. But I, like some others on this thread, feel the need for a short travel 29" FS. Still not a lot of choice in that segment...

Nice looking proto though

Recovering couch patato
    Folks, with such a light frame, just stick in a shorter-stroke damper, or pump the damper up a bit more to only get your magic 4 inches. IMO, more is better, as long as you don't get serious bobbing from the first inch or two.

Brant, with a flipped setback seatpost, I fear the seat can't be adjusted to the royughly level position. And even if it can, loads will be in a direction where it's not really supported.

The disadvantage of interrupted seattubes might be that the big rear wheel seeping forward takes out prety much all of the seat tube, so the seatpost would only get a really high up, really short bit of seattube to be stuck into. Gravity droppers will be out of the question anyway.

No Reputation!

31# too heavy? Nah!

Heh, just made me think about my 27# rigid single speed. 4# for 6" f and r sounds like a good deal to me. Super nice bike, I'm sure a 6" bike will sell really well. Any MRSP yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Am I the only person who thinks 6" and 29er wheels would be overkill?

I like the bike, but I won't order one unless its lighter and has less travel. All of my riding includes uphill.

Appalachian Singletrack'n

Wow, what a surprise.

I have full intentions of buying a 29" FS bike next year and have been hoping for some alternatives to what is currently available. A 29" FS bike for me will be used primarily for long distance rides and races (I wouldn’t expect to take it out of the bike shed for less than a 5 hour ride). I’m not sure a 6" bike is going to meet that need, It would have to pedal preaty darn well.

For me personally, 6" travel at 7 lbs is not going to work. The type of riding I will do on a 6" travel frame will destroy a bike that light. All the quality kiddy wheeled 6" frames on the market are more than a pound heavier and there is a good reason why. Suspension designs aside, some of the parts look scary spindly to me in particular the trusswork between the SS and CS pivots on the rear triangle.

When I saw the One Nine I immediately felt it was worth the risk of buying without testing myself or depending on a good product history and I have been very happy with that decision. I don’t get the same warm feeling from these photos. If it where cleaned up, and beefed up a little I may be interested. I’m sure many will love it though. Thanks for supporting this board and pushing 29" development.

Pedal Damnit

Looking good.

I wanted to 2nd the question on front end travel and was wondering if you've had any trouble the bolt and bushings where the rear shock mounts to the pivot arm. I have a friend with a Kona that has large spacers between the arms and the shock and he has had issues with it. Other than that looks pretty sweet. I'll be looking for another fully in about a year and having another Niner would be sweet.

By the way, the One nine has been an awesome bike. I'm looking forward to many more miles with her.
    Lost in Texaslation

mtbr member
    I still think the design is much more mirrored after the Balfa 2Step design moreso than the dw-link - although they are both probably similar in concept - desired results etc. etc.

Look at the photo I posted and then look at the Niner frame - many similarities exist - the Niner definitely looks more refined than the Balfa, but I think that has to do with some of the CNC work that was done on the linkages. Was there any thought to doing something similar to Balfa by using a cromoly rear triangle and an AL front end on this bike??

I can see where the seat tube angle could be an issue of concern - The Balfas were similar and riders often had to do a lot of fine tuning to get a good cockpit length etc. etc.

Here's a look again at a 2Step from the side.

Perhaps there is a way to add some metal to provide a spot for a non-etype front derailleur on the Niner frame a la the 2Step. Although perhaps the E-type actually makes more sense since 2Step riders often commented that you had to be extremely precise with front derailleur set up on their rigs.

Note where the front derailleur sits on this 2Step:

But again - this frame is a prototype - and with good input from this board, maybe the Niner guys will get some good ideas on how to even further refine what looks to be a super well thought out and high quality manufactured frame.

And around 30 pounds for 6" of travel - that's damned good in my book!
    Last edited by MMcG; 09-15-2005 at 11:51 AM.

Recovering
    Yes, the pivot placement is more Balfa, but the path of the pivots, and the fact that it's a solid rear triangle with pivots that move in the same direction (as opposed to the counter-rotating pivots of VPP) is what makes it functionally similar to the DW-Link and Maestro.

I wouldn't put the Niner in the same class as a 6" travel 26" bike. From the looks of it, it's more like a 5" travel All-Mountain bike with an extra inch of travel (and at 30 lbs, it's not bad for a 5" travel bike). Kinda like the Maverick Duc 32- lightweight, XC and All-Mountain, but with a little extra travel for good measure.

30 Lbs with Exiwolfs and heavy rims means you could get it down to 28 with some tweaking. At that weight, it's on par with the Sugars, but with extra travel and (arguably) better suspension. I'd race it in local sport-class races at that weight.

My gloves stink

2-step ground clearance?

Wow. Look at how much bike there is BELOW the BB. Is the BB height particularly high on that bike in order to make room for the suspension link?
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage
    Wow. Look at how much bike there is BELOW the BB. Is the BB height particularly high on that bike in order to make room for the suspension link?
    I think the 2Step had a 14" bottom bracket height - that bottom linkage would take some hits from rocks, but it was built pretty burly in order to withstand those types of impact.

www.derbyrims.com
    This very interesting thread was brought to my attention by ozlongboarder. Thanks!

It's an interesting and advanced design; potentially much superior to the other fully designs available for 29ers.

The rear braking linkage should allow very active and bump complementary traction without significantly increasing fork weighting and dive much more than a monopivot. It'll probably rear brake like a similar travel Horst link by Titus, excellent for trail bike use. Fork angle and rider position behind the front wheel has a lot to do with rear traction too of course.

Active suspension while pedaling is mostly path dependant, with shock tuning for pedaling being dependent on the efficiency of the path to counteract squat and bob. This looks like a similar configuration of links somewhere between Karpiel and DW. DW's design is more dynamic in transition from counter squat to freely active. Karpiel design was predominantly counter squat and downhill rearward path oriented.

This looks more DW-Link type and would be more all-mountain rather than downhill. Very efficient for climbing with 6 inch travel without requiring over damping of low speed compression "platform" as is required by low monopivots and Horst link variations for such travel.

I think the 6-inch good climbing trail bike will be the maximum desired travel for all mountain trail biking for some time to come. At least until frame and wheel weights come down in weight quite a lot more.

The difference in performance of the prototype 26er the designer has been testing and a 29er version is mainly lower rolling resistance over bumps that 29-inch wheels allow. Although lower gears are required for the same climbing final drive to the ground rate, so there will be increased counter-squat from chain tensioning on the 29er (potentially felt as suspension stiffening and pedal kickback). The rider weight is relatively lower to the rear axle on a 29er so less counter-squat effect is required than a 26-inch axle bike with the same chainstay distance. A slight lowering of the IC of the link alignment may be required to maintain same pedaling kickback and counter-squat stiffening effects. I like the upper link alignment for rear braking effects and would suggest the lower link be the one adjusted to a more level angle most to lower the IC mapping to compensate for the higher axle path. But the overall suspension effect difference between a 26 and 29 wheeled similar suspension is hard to predict without testing. An adjustable link postion prototype would be valuable to dial the effects in to be seamless. (Or hire DW! the most advanced bicycle suspension designer now.)

- ray

mtbr member

L U S T

that's all i have to say about that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbogner
    Yes, the pivot placement is more Balfa, but the path of the pivots, and the fact that it's a solid rear triangle with pivots that move in the same direction (as opposed to the counter-rotating pivots of VPP) is what makes it functionally similar to the DW-Link and Maestro.
    Agreed - the Balfa uses a solid rear triangle as well. I guess I'd categorize the Niner frame, the dw-link, and the Maestro into a similar category, with each design having their own subtle or not so subtle differences. Seems like the general idea behind these linkages is very similar don't you think? Implementation of the idea differs however.

It would seem to me that pedal feeback would be very minimal with this Niner design and for a 6" bike that is a great thing!

I hear a lot of comments about riders wanting a 4" travel FS 29er option, and this prototype with 6" of travel.

Perhaps a 5" All Mountain 29er is the happy medium??

Although if the 6" works fine - why not right? Hopefully it will push the 29er envelope a bit enticing other manufacturers to produce forks and wheels of a similar caliber/travel range etc.

This is all good stuff in my opinion. Niner bikes really impresses me with their thinking.

I need to win the lottery or something.