Moved to 27.5+, thoughts, issues, pics! RIP rdo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moved to 27.5+, thoughts, issues, pics! RIP rdo

I bought a set of Ibis 742 wheels for a hard tail build about a month ago. The company is taking forever to ship so I thought Id give the 27.5" stuff a go on my rip rdo. I have the offset cup for the lower headset cup installed as well. Before with my 29" flows with schwalbe MM/HD in 2.35 my BB height was at 13 3/8". With the offset cup and the 742 wheels with schwalbe 2.8" HD/NN installed I'm down to right at 13". It's not miserable but it is noticed on our trails. Also with my 29" wheels I run 22psi F/ 26psi R. On the 27.5 it was suggested I try 14/16 F/R. I will be bumping that up 1-2psi for my next ride so that will give back a little more BB with my fat butt on there

The bike does corner quite well. Only noticed some sidewall squirm on a couple bermed turns but on off camber trails there aren't any issues. Mud clearance is quite good as well. With my 29" HD on the back my chain stays almost constantly catch leaves, sticks and squirrels. With the lower 27.5 stuff didn't seems to get stuck as easy or cleared out without me having to stop.

Overall I like it. The ride reminds me more of my much loved Titus ElGuapo with the smaller wheels. When in the air the bike moves around a little easier. Laying it flat didn't seem to take so much effort. AND! It feels like I have to more gears on the cassette. That was quite nice for my winter-weary legs.

"I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What rear coil shock are you running?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    What rear coil shock are you running?
    DVO Jade with fox coil.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thatís what I thought.

mtbr member
    I also have a topaz air but pretty much leave the coil on all the time. The topaz is an awesome shock, especially after Ronny at DVO helped me find shim stack for the rebound and fluid changes. But the coil on the rip works really well. So much so that any other frame I look at has to be able to run air or coil.

The Rip has me spoiled!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Wait for the new WFO this summer. Might be 170/180. Per Niner rep and Sedona Mtb festival

mtbr member
    Anything above 160 for me on a 29 is too much. I only make it to the bike park every other year at best and then it's just for a weekend. I was hoping they'd keep it closer to the old wfo's 160.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I donít think itís confirmed yet. Iíd like to see 170F 160R. When the rep mention 180/170 with possibly with the new Fox 38 fork. My immediate response was , ďSo a park bike?Ē He said. No it pedals great.