Jet 9 sizing help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Jet 9 sizing help

Hey guys! I'm getting ready to order a 2018 Jet 9 al and according to website I can either go medium or large. I'm 190 pounds, 5'11", 33 inch inseam, not sure on reach. I'm currently riding a Giant Stance in Large. What says everyone? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I JUST ORDERED A LARGE.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REPLIES
    Last edited by Romaxy; 08-30-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaxy View Post
    Hey guys! I'm getting ready to order a 2018 Jet 9 al and according to website I can either go medium or large. I'm 190 pounds, 5'11", 33 inch inseam, not sure on reach. I'm currently riding a Giant Stance in Large. What says everyone? Thanks in advance!
    Tough comparison, the reach between the giant and the jet is closest match on the large jet, but the stack is about two inches higher on the jet. This is going to give you a lot higher body angle. You can tune it with flipping the stem and / or changing the handlebars but it will take a bit of tuning.

The medium jet is, to me, significantly shorter on the reach without a lot of loss of stack and may be harder to fit comfortably.

Tough call.

Based unscientifically ... I would say you should get the large. I have a medium rip9 and not is perfect for me, BUT it is bigger than the medium jet AND I am only 5'9" with a 32 " inseam.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yup, you are the same as me and was on the fence, and our measurements are the same aside from weight (165-167lbs). I know my wingspan is 2" longer than my height! and I'm on a Large Jet 9 RDO (2014). I have a 70mm stem (would consider trying shorter) but as I have a Lefty on it and can't get anything shorter without it hitting the top of the lefty.

I can only imagine being on a medium I'd feel a bit crammed although haven't ridden one to say for sure.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'm going to go with the large. I would rather my bike be on the big end on size instead of small. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I have a 17 RIP medium and I am 5'6" with a 30" inseam and I think it fits great. I say go with the large Jet at your height.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm in the same boat (5'11" but 180 lbs) and I just got a large. No regrets here.

Here it is at 75cm center of BB to top of saddle above rails. Also, 6 cm saddle set back from centerline of BB and 50 cm nose of saddle to center of bars (40cm Renthal stem).

Jet 9 sizing help-small-niner2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    5'11" 32" inseam 165# here and size large fits me well. Think a medium would feel cramped for me.

Bannėd
    Depends on your riding style/terrain type as well. I am a hair under 6'0" and was on a medium 2014 RIP9 RDO and preferred it over the large when demoing. That frame was in for warranty replacement and my LBS loaned me a new JET back in April for an endurance race (44 miles/8k' climbing) and that was a medium as well and felt fine for me, even on such a long ride. Went with the new RIP9 as my warranty replacement in a medium and it feels perfect under me on my home trails (So Cal). I do prefer to jump/pop around quite a bit though so the smaller size works for me and I never feel like I am giving anything up while at high speeds through chunk. Hence why I always demo bikes in two sizes if I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That's more than Catfish would do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ochmonek View Post
    Depends on your riding style/terrain type as well. I am a hair under 6'0" and was on a medium 2014 RIP9 RDO and preferred it over the large when demoing. That frame was in for warranty replacement and my LBS loaned me a new JET back in April for an endurance race (44 miles/8k' climbing) and that was a medium as well and felt fine for me, even on such a long ride. Went with the new RIP9 as my warranty replacement in a medium and it feels perfect under me on my home trails (So Cal). I do prefer to jump/pop around quite a bit though so the smaller size works for me and I never feel like I am giving anything up while at high speeds through chunk. Hence why I always demo bikes in two sizes if I can.
    This is an excellent point. I should mention that this is not a quiver killer for me, it's N+1 to a much more "nimble" SSMTB that is best suited for my local rocky, technical trails here in New England. This bike is for longer days at the expense of being nimble.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by myette10 View Post
    I'm in the same boat (5'11" but 180 lbs) and I just got a large. No regrets here.

Here it is at 75cm center of BB to top of saddle above rails. Also, 6 cm saddle set back from centerline of BB and 50 cm nose of saddle to center of bars (40cm Renthal stem).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small niner2.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	1154985
    Nice! Is that set up as a 29'er? For some reason the wheels look smaller. LOL

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nice! Is that set up as a 29'er? For some reason the wheels look smaller. LOL
    Thanks! Yeah those are 29x2.4 ardents, the stock tires.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Bannėd
    Edit: ooops, wrong thread..
    Last edited by Trevor Ochmonek; 08-31-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That's more than Catfish would do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks! Yeah those are 29x2.4 ardents, the stock tires.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    Alright sounds good. Thanks for the response!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Updated OP. I just ordered a large. Pretty stoked!
    I really appreciate the replies!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    At 6' and 34" inseam would a XL 2017 Jet 9 RDO be a better choice for my friend? Reach seems short on the new Niners relatively speaking; my large Django 29 is 460-464mm.

I know stem and bar width play a role.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    At 6' and 34" inseam would a XL 2017 Jet 9 RDO be a better choice for my friend? Reach seems short on the new Niners relatively speaking; my large Django 29 is 460-464mm.

I know stem and bar width play a role.
    I'd say no, that sounds like a Large to me. Also, bar width and stem length can be changed.

regarding reach, the Django is on the long end, and the Niner has a longish head tube so that reach is a little deceptive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I haven't ridden mine yet due to work and bad weather. I sat on it and the reach feels about perfect for me, wouldn't want it any shorter though. Maybe it feels that way because of the higher stack? Only a woods ride will tell the truth.
    Last edited by Romaxy; 09-11-2017 at 05:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was in the fence at 5-10 but with stuby legs at a 29" inseam. I wanted to go large for the longer reach. But stand over didn't fit I went with the med. I wish it was a bit longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I haven't ridden mine yet due to work and bad weather. I sat on it and the reach feels about perfect for me, wouldn't want it any shorter though. Maybe it feels that way because of the higher stack? Only a woods ride will tell the truth.
    I think the stack height definitely makes an impact on reach here, although I'm having a hard time making sense of it in my head.

On my third stem, and I think 50mm is the right length. 40 was a bit to much like standing up playing a video game, 60 was a little floppy, 50 feels gooood....

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I think the stack height definitely makes an impact on reach here, although I'm having a hard time making sense of it in my head.

On my third stem, and I think 50mm is the right length. 40 was a bit to much like standing up playing a video game, 60 was a little floppy, 50 feels gooood....
    Good to know. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Friend tested a large 2017 jet 9 rdo 3 star build. Reach was too short with 50mm stem (even slammed) and 15mm rise bar. Think it was 780mm wide. Think this guy is an inbetweener and may look at 2017 or newer Fuel EX. The newer Santa Cruz have geo that should fit, but his industry-related pricing was cancelled due someone in the office abusing the pricing opportunity.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    hi, what size stem are you running? i'm debating between small and medium and i'm same height.
    cheers.