Jet 9 RDO 2012 - Worth upgrading to latest Jet 9 RDO?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Jet 9 RDO 2012 - Worth upgrading to latest Jet 9 RDO?

My current stable of bikes include a 2012 Jet 9 RDO with 120 mm White Bros Loop and an XX1 setup. I also have Rip 9 RDO with 140 mm Pike and XX1 and a Salsa Beargrease XX1 with Bluto.

I've been tempted to consider an Air 9 RDO with Di2, since I don't currently have a modern hardtail, but my fear is that it will end up collecting dust as I got back an ride my FS setups. So the other option I started thinking about is upgrade my 2012 Jet 9 RDO to the latest model and consider putting a RockShox RS-1 on it.

The pluses of upgrading would be a lighter, more rigid frame with the 142 rear axle and carbon compaction. It would also have better cable routing. I've got my 2012 shifting pretty well with the latest "shift kit" but the problems with the 2012 Jet 9 RDO are well documented. I also have had a crack in my rear triangle (not the seat tube crack that seems to be more common), but that was replaced under warranty.

The RS-1 seems like it would be a step up from the White Bros Loop, especially in terms of being lighter, and it would still give me the 120 mm travel that I like.

I do love my Rip 9 RDO but on our local trails where there are not many big hits, I still love riding the Jet 9 RDO on it with its super snappy handling. However when I head out to trails that are a bit rougher, the Rip 9 RDO remains by go to ride.

I know Muzz has commented on some differences in the handling of the different generations of Jet 9 RDO's but I'm interested in hearing peoples opinion on this potential "upgrade".

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I'd say upgrade to the RS-1 on the current JET9 RDO and keep riding it. The JET9 RDO is due for a refresh in the next year or two, I'd wait for that. I had a small cosmetic crack develop on my V1 JET9 RDO last summer. I was quickly given the latest frame with the new carbon layup and the 142 rear end.

I can't tell much overall ride difference, but the rear end does feel a bit stiffer in the corners. I like the Maxle front and rear, but it wouldn't be worth the $1500 (closeout) to $2700ish retail price you'd pay. I've heard lots of great things about the RS-1, so I say get that and keep riding the heck out of your current bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'd also wait.

My guess is both RIP 9 RDO and Jet 9 RDO will go Boost 148 in the rear end and we'll see a pretty big change in the chainstay length/BB area and maybe even a slacker HA. That would be pretty sweet.....but disappointing too seeing as I just got a brand new RIP 9 RDO and I9 wheelset.

mtbr member
    Skip the RS1 and associated new wheel build and look at a Formula 33 in 120mm.

Love mine on a new RDO.

Stiffer and lighter than a fox, cheaper than RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Decided to go with the RS-1, keep the frame, and also install a Quarq XX1 power meter. Hopefully Niner is hard at work working on the next gen Jet 9 RDO....

mtbr member
    Dear OP... I hope you didn't go ahead with the RS-1

RockShox RS-1 review - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That review is a little concerning. Certainly a much different opinion than the MTBR.com review. I wonder if other variables could also be at play such as the wheelset, the travel (100 vs 120), and the bike geometry.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/review-rocks...uspension-fork