Jet 9 Pivot Bolt Issues- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Jet 9 Pivot Bolt Issues

I have a 2015 Jet 9 Carbon that is creaky at the top pivot. I can isolate the creak to the pivot on the seat-tube.

The red anozidation on the pivot bolt is scratched up which leads me think the bearing is not turning.

Also that pivot bolt backs out after a 3 mile ride

I've cleaned the internal and external threads and applied blue Loctite and torque'd to 9mn.

Any ideas?

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    From your description, it does sounds like a bad bearing. To confirm I would unbolt the link completely from the bike and try rotating the inner race of the suspect bearing with your fingers. A bad bearing will either not move or feel crunchy or notchy. Compare it to the bearing for the seat stay if you are not sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    +1 had a similar issue the bearing race was seized to get moving I took the bearing cover off and cleaned it out Wd40 then re greased the bearing popped on the cover and torqued the red alu bolt. I ordered replacements but this kept the bike running and to to be honest there's very little rotation in the bearings during general use. Bearings are easily found on net

mtbr member
    May 2014
    kwarwick and mark_b thanks for the information. The bearing was kind of crunchy so I ordered some new ones. We took it out for three days of hard riding in North GA and TN with no issues. It was a bad bearing. Cheers!

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Good to hear! I love simple fixes like that. I have a box full of old bearings pulled out of a variety of frames and hubs... this is all just part of the joy of maintaining mountain bikes.