How to tell model year from serial number?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How to tell model year from serial number?

On a Niner bike, how do you decipher the serial number? My understanding is that the first couple of numbers reveal the year the frame was produced. Mine starts with P934.

Nompton, OK
    Not sure about serial number. Maybe an email to Niner would figure that out.

In the meantime, here is their encyclopedia. Page 26 shows how to identify the year/version frame you have based on the characteristics of the frame:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/NinerDocs/N...RS_UNIVERS.pdf

mtbr member
    This is the email reply I got, so I'm still not sure what it means.

"The first set of numbers in the serial number after the letters will tell you what the year of your frame is"

mtbr member
    This is a tough question for us as we don't use traditional model years on the frames. The bike industry standard is to implement graphic and construction changes annually whether they are necessary or not. Niner chooses to update models when there is a reason to do so: a new technology, changes in industry standards or to take advantage of new materials and construction techniques.This led us to the creation of the version chart that can be found in the Niner Encyclopedia, which is the best resource to identify your frame.

Niner Bikes,
    Brad

https://s3.amazonaws.com/NinerDocs/N...RS_UNIVERS.pdf

Peace,
    Niner Bikes

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Ok thanks for all the info so far. It is a Rip 9 in raw color and I know it's either v2.0 or v2.1. I guess the biggest difference is the change in headsets from integrated to zero stack. I'm not exactly sure how to differentiate between the two so I'll try to get some pics posted. I know it's an FSA headset and the bottom part is a black color if that helps at all.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    R-

Can you see the thin (1.5mm) lips of the headset cups, top and bottom? If so, it's an Internal (ZS) Headset, newer version. If there are no headset cups visible, it's an Integrated Headset, older version.

The slideshow about tapered headtubes on the Niner site has some good images to help discern the difference. Tapered Headtube

JMH

Members who have read this thread: 8