Help needed with Jet 9 RDO drivetrain skipping- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    531

    Help needed with Jet 9 RDO drivetrain skipping

    Looking for any ideas, 2017 Niner Jet 9 RDO. Shimano 1X11 drivetrain with new Raceface 32 tooth chainring, new Shimano chain, and a new Shimano 11-46 tooth cassette. When putting significant power down in the 11 and 13 tooth cogs, the chain skips. We have replaced the chainring, chain and cassette twice trying to figure it out, and had it at two different bike shops who are very good, but we can't get this thing to stop skipping.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,851
    Bent R/D hanger? Is the chain directional? Maybe try a different brand 11 sp chain like a KMC. Chainring bent or deflecting under load? Just a couple thoughts.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14,001
    Was it skipping before the new parts were installed? If so I'd guess a bad freehub, that or maybe frame flex. If you had a spare wheel you could install the new cassette on it and go for a ride, that should confirm whether or not the freehub is bad.

    At this point I'd assume the chain and cassette are good. If the shops are very good I'd guess the derailleur hanger has been checked and aligned but you might want to check that out to be sure. It's possible that the chainline is bad, the new chainring could possibly have the wrong offset.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Bent R/D hanger? Is the chain directional? Maybe try a different brand 11 sp chain like a KMC. Chainring bent or deflecting under load? Just a couple thoughts.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    New derailleur hanger. I'll double check the chain but I don't think it's direction. We have tried both KMC and Shimano chains. I don't think the chainring is bent as we've tried two different chainrings, both new.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Was it skipping before the new parts were installed? If so I'd guess a bad freehub, that or maybe frame flex. If you had a spare wheel you could install the new cassette on it and go for a ride, that should confirm whether or not the freehub is bad.

    At this point I'd assume the chain and cassette are good. If the shops are very good I'd guess the derailleur hanger has been checked and aligned but you might want to check that out to be sure. It's possible that the chainline is bad, the new chainring could possibly have the wrong offset.
    Yup, and we replaced the freehub as well. New derailleur hanger also. The chainline looks really good, and I'm positive the new chainring has the same offset as the factory one.

    Frame flex could be possible. The rear end on this bike doesn't feel overly stiff, and the owner is about 230 pounds, physically fit and very strong.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14,001
    Quote Originally Posted by jgdblue View Post
    New derailleur hanger. I'll double check the chain but I don't think it's direction. We have tried both KMC and Shimano chains. I don't think the chainring is bent as we've tried two different chainrings, both new.

    I'm pretty sure Shimano 12 sp chains are directional. A new derailleur may be straight but that doesn't guarantee that it's square to your frame, it still should be checked with an alignment tool and adjusted if necessary.

    If all that's good and nothing else has been missed then I'd have to guess frame flex even though that's really unusual IME.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I'm pretty sure Shimano 12 sp chains are directional. A new derailleur may be straight but that doesn't guarantee that it's square to your frame, it still should be checked with an alignment tool and adjusted if necessary.

    If all that's good and nothing else has been missed then I'd have to guess frame flex even though that's really unusual IME.
    Now that you mention hangers, Niner sent a "revised" version of the derailleur hanger when the original was bent from a crash. The original was a 2 piece, the newly revised version is a 1 piece, and from what we can recall, it's the only piece of drivetrain equipment besides the derailleur itself not replaced.

    Anyone have any insight on the hangers?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14,001
    Quote Originally Posted by jgdblue View Post
    Anyone have any insight on the hangers?

    Not about the particular one you're talking about but all of them should be checked with an alignment tool regardless. Since the bike was crashed and the hanger damaged the derailleur could possibly be at fault but it seems unlikely.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Similar Threads

  1. jet 9 rdo works angled headset?? 2014 jet 9 rdo
    By Juan Flores in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-04-2015, 10:18 PM
  2. Jet 9 RDO 2012 - Worth upgrading to latest Jet 9 RDO?
    By Kuttermax in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-31-2015, 09:32 AM
  3. Jet 9 RDO XT Drivetrain / Brakes Build Help
    By dba4life in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-20-2014, 09:35 AM
  4. Help Sourcing Titanium Bolts for Jet 9 RDO V.1 (Jet 9 Carbon)
    By Dry Cownty Brewer in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 08:17 AM
  5. Jet vs Jet RDO Ride Report
    By riding29 in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 07:48 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.