Getting more cornering confidence on my 2014 Jet 9 RDO- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Getting more cornering confidence on my 2014 Jet 9 RDO

Hey guys, looking for some advice on how to increase my confidence diving into flat or downhill sandy/dry corners. My buddies tell me I need to get a bike with updated geo. Is my 2014 Jet 9 RDO that outdated? I know it's got a 71.5 head angle. Here is my set up:

I ride mostly fast XC. Some trail. I have confidence to plow through rock gardens, but start skidding out on corners.. front wheel feels like its going to wash out on me. Sometimes If I tell myself to just F it, forget about the brakes, and I can get a controlled slide on both tires, but that's not confidence inspiring to me.

Set up:
    2014 Jet 9 RDO Medium
    SID WC 100mm Fork
    Carbon I9s. 23mm Internal Diameter
    Knobby Nic up front, Racing Ralph in the back. Tires are brand new
    70mm Stem, 710 mm bars. I had a 90mm stem before but felt less twitchy on 70mm

Would you upgrade anything? Or just practice?

Thanks guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting more cornering confidence on my 2014 Jet 9 RDO-20180429_170258.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vtsteevo View Post
    Hey guys, looking for some advice on how to increase my confidence diving into flat or downhill sandy/dry corners. My buddies tell me I need to get a bike with updated geo. Is my 2014 Jet 9 RDO that outdated? I know it's got a 71.5 head angle. Here is my set up:

I ride mostly fast XC. Some trail. I have confidence to plow through rock gardens, but start skidding out on corners.. front wheel feels like its going to wash out on me. Sometimes If I tell myself to just F it, forget about the brakes, and I can get a controlled slide on both tires, but that's not confidence inspiring to me.

Set up:
    2014 Jet 9 RDO Medium
    SID WC 100mm Fork
    Carbon I9s. 23mm Internal Diameter
    Knobby Nic up front, Racing Ralph in the back. Tires are brand new
    70mm Stem, 710 mm bars. I had a 90mm stem before but felt less twitchy on 70mm

Would you upgrade anything? Or just practice?

Thanks guys
    Nothing to do with the bike and all to do with your skills/technique. Work on/practice your cornering skills, tons of info on the web/internet to show you correct corning skills/ technique.

I remember when I first started riding I would get nervous going into loose corners. I would stiffen up and shift my weight back and up (natural reaction to fear), which caused front end/tire to be light and wash out. Need to get heavy, lean the bike and drive the bike/tires through the corners.

mtbr member
    What compound is the NN on the front?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    What compound is the NN on the front?
    Pacestar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vtsteevo View Post
    Pacestar
    I'd definitely go to the new softer compound or at least trail star. That's a pretty hard rubber for a front tire.

There are some really good deals on the Hans dampf right now since there is a newer pattern coming out. Makes a nice front for XC and a good rear when paired with a magic mary on the front.

You're not going to loose much speed with a softer rubber or taller blocks on the front but you'll gain a lot of grip with soft rubber on a front.

mtbr member
    Your setup is similar to mine except I have a 120mm Pike RCT up front...such a great handling bike. Have you experimented with tire pressures? Which tires are your buddies using?
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    A more aggressive tire up front would be very helpful. I run a 27.5x2.6 Nobby Nic Addix snakeskin up front and when I have trouble cornering it's technique related. I certainly wouldn't call a controlled slide on both tires effective cornering. If you are getting a Nobby Nic to break free at the same time as a Racing Ralph, almost all of you weight just about has to be over the Racing Ralph. It's a fast tire, but it has almost no lateral grip.