Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Future of Niner in 2019?

Any predictions or info about the future on Niner now that the bankruptcy seems to be over. To me looks like they are really focusing on the gravel scene.

I predict a new Jet in the 130 to 140mm range.

mtbr member
    Iím buying one I f the new jet grows in reach, STA steepens to 75/76, and gains a few mm of travel!

Chilling out
    Unless some calamity happens to my RIP9 it's not going anywhere, but I have my eye on the next thing. Depends on how my move from PA to NC goes and when, I don't think I'm going to "need" the RIP9 much in NC (although I'm sure it'll kill it in WNC mountains) so a shorter travel FS bike may be in my future, one day.

For Niner, I'm going to enjoy seeing and dreaming about the longer travel bike they're clearly working on ( next WFO? ).

I also think the gravel bike makes complete sense for them, after all that's just a narrow-tired 29er wiith drop-bars when you get down to it. I've ridden with some cool and awesome people in Sedona and other AZ points who rode those before it was popular. Very functional, and if I didn't have an awesome road bike I'd think about it, but for me that aspect is just a spectator sport.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think the next 2 years will make or break them.

Maybe CX is their new niche now that everyone is making 29ers.

www.ninjichor.com
    Niner's all over the place with their image. From super stiff hardtails (One9) to super plush FS trail bikes (WFO9, new RIP9), from sponsoring singlespeed and XC race/marathon types to Kirt Voreis, from all 29ers to CX/gravel and 650b options...

They had a DH 29er, but couldn't produce it due to lack of support, and now a significant % of pros are trying out the big wheels, including Aaron Gwin and Loic Bruni. I'll admit that they were right about 29ers and there's definitely a large market wanting what they make. They just need to communicate that more clearly. Their bikes have cush like none other.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    did they stick with LBS distributors? i thought the bankruptcy would have pushed them to internet only, especially when they wanted to devote more capital to developing new models, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.ninjichor.com
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    did they stick with LBS distributors? i thought the bankruptcy would have pushed them to internet only, especially when they wanted to devote more capital to developing new models, etc.

Good question. Looked up a bikeshop's website that I knew were an Niner dealer in the past, who don't have an online store, and see that they only list that they're a Giant and Spec dealer (DarkHorse Cycles).

I'd think that it'd be the opposite, that LBS give up Niner, as I imagine that it'd be hard to compete with big money players such as Comp Cyclist and JensonUSA. The LBS around me love price fixing strategies (e.g. MAP), stocking things if there's a good chance of not being undercut by other competing retailers. Works well when the products are in relatively high demand and are fairly priced.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    On the Bike front looks like they have some stuff under development that could be tasty!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/kirt-v...tter-2018.html

On the Biz front I'm not sure what to think. I hope they spend some time polishing the brand and their reputation. All trolling aside, they could make an effort to improve customer service.

Their current fleet of bikes seem to have good reviews and are generally loved. (Interestingly also don't *seem* to have the quality issues some of the older models have) If they can keep that up and focus on their image I think they would be fine.

mtbr member
    I was just looking on their site and there are some model updates. NX Eagle on the 1-star builds, new colors for a few models, and what I have been hoping for the Air 9 alloy frame only option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    the lbs just picked them up. i did a demo and loved the rkt and jet but they were the 2018 models.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    They definitely have an image problem. At DirtFest, they were the only brand I noticed that you could walk up and take almost any model for a spin. Every other company had wait lines or ďcome back in 1/2hr. For ďhotĒ bikes (Ripmo, new SJ, Trail429, etc) there were waitlists for. But Niner had a full rack at all times.

I personally like how Niners ride, but unless they fix whatever the negative perception is (and I donít know what it is or how to fix it), they wonít be around for long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    They definitely have an image problem. At DirtFest, they were the only brand I noticed that you could walk up and take almost any model for a spin. Every other company had wait lines or ďcome back in 1/2hr. For ďhotĒ bikes (Ripmo, new SJ, Trail429, etc) there were waitlists for. But Niner had a full rack at all times.

I personally like how Niners ride, but unless they fix whatever the negative perception is (and I donít know what it is or how to fix it), they wonít be around for long.
    I still think buy direct was their best approach. Offer customers savings, quality, customer service, and a new Niner or two.

Sticking with lbs says something about customer service,I e , contact your distributor--not us.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Future of Niner in 2019?

Somewhere between here:
    Future of Niner in 2019?-ninermcr2018-1.jpg

And here:

Future of Niner in 2019?-dumpsterfire.jpg
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    I'm interested in facts/evidence pertaining to the OP's question.

I like Niner, and would hate to see them disappear. CVA is great for my preferences. Their Geo is great for my preferences. The quality of the product is great. The 27.5 wheels/tires are a bit strange, but...

www.ninjichor.com
    Quote Originally Posted by badgermtb View Post
    I'm interested in facts/evidence pertaining to the OP's question.

I like Niner, and would hate to see them disappear. CVA is great for my preferences. Their Geo is great for my preferences. The quality of the product is great. The 27.5 wheels/tires are a bit strange, but...
    No claims of being factual in this post, but here's how I perceive it:

They filed Chapter 11. I see this as a process that allows them to renegotiate contracts with their debtors, while giving debtors the power to make suggestions on how to use the company's assets. The debtors want to get what they're owed. Niner had cash, but they wanted outside investment to bring their plans to life. They wanted to keep their staff at all costs though, as they believe it's their people who make up the company, so they sought a partner that would do so. The investor had the condition that they would buy them if Niner "consolidated their financial baggage" through Chapter 11. Chapter 11 would allow outside companies to bid for Niner, and the original one that suggested chap 11 ended up not winning; UWHK Ltd (a division of Pacific Cycles) got in a winning bid.

There's evidence of numerous companies coming out stronger through Chapter 11, notably ones offering mainstay products and services such as . There's actually some controversy around chapter 11 actually being too generous in helping companies restart. Savvy business experts consider it a tool, while others question if the use of public resources (fed tax money), and screwing creditors out of what they're owed, is being abused or not. The business experts argue that the business pays it back through taxes. Chapter 11 is sometimes known as bankruptcy protection/restructuring, but it was just used as a tool in this case.

More than likely, with the skewed view that Niner got through "bankruptcy", people will be shocked by anything actually "good" coming from Niner post-chap11, and that such publicity did more than to reset the balance sheet, but also their public image. I'm not saying to expect anything good from Niner; what I'm saying is that expect for people to react in amusing ways when Niner does something that they didn't expect. Pacific Cycles is known for being the owner of Huffy, probably doesn't help (even though they also own Cannondale). See the post above yours as an example. It's easy to beat such expectations, of being between something you might not want and burning trash.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I donít pretend to know the ins and outs of bankruptcy. But as a layman, I canít see how it is a good thing.

I also believe Niner became successful as a niche brand. They were ahead of the game with 29ers. Everyone else has caught up or surpassed them.

Couple that with thier CS problems. My own shop warned me when I decided to go with my Jet.

I second I that thier reputation is tarnished. How they over come that, I donít know. Maybe they have enough of a following from their hay day. Or maybe they will corner the market with the gravel scene. Though Iím not sure how big that market is.

Hard to compete now with brands like SC, Ibis and Pivot with awesome warranties and none of the issues Niner has.

Does the average rider want to take a chance with Niner when they are ready to spend 4 to 5k on a bike? For some they can afford to take that gamble. Most canít.

www.ninjichor.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Hard to compete now with brands like SC, Ibis and Pivot with awesome warranties and none of the issues Niner has.

Does the average rider want to take a chance with Niner when they are ready to spend 4 to 5k on a bike? For some they can afford to take that gamble. Most canít.
    This is why they wanted outside investment. SC in particular is absolutely killing it; picking up an investor accelerated their speed in developing new models significantly. Ibis and Yeti are where they are with new ownership and a cult-like following. Pivot is a pretty stand out case. SC is probably the most "plush" out of these mentioned, but I'd argue that they're not half as plush as a Niner WFO9/RIP9, and know people are actually looking for this kind of ride.

Again, I question if the target audience even knows Niner has the bike for them. They may have been begging Giant for an up-to-date big travel 29er, when Niner has been offering for ages. Their promo videos are pretty no-nonsense, showing just the beauty of the ride, while the talk around the mtb world is all about race-inspired stuff. I'm guessing that they haven't found Niner because there isn't a loud enthusiast crowd following it. The CVA bikes appeal to what I call a casual rider, who just ride... the crowd with the Spartan attitude, check out my strava times compared to this other bike posts, and check out my bling bling customizing posts are likely not the norm with Niner.

Have you seen Niner's owner guide videos? That's a value people take for granted. I like that you can see the actually people behind the brand too, so you know they take some personal responsibility rather than hide behind some corporate wall. The ownership experience is important and being able to contact a long time rep that knows everything they sell, and sold in the past, inside-and-out, adds to that. I know some brands that restructured and lost some good people, rehiring clueless people who can't help without you replying to canned messages asking you to fill out some sort of form to get details from you like a robot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    .SC is probably the most "plush" out of these mentioned, but I'd argue that they're not half as plush as a Niner WFO9/RIP9, and know people are actually looking for this kind of ride
    I thought I was dillusional when Iíve demoíd almost every long travel 29er on the market and my 120mm Jet still feels more plush. I thought it was just the demo team suspension setup, but every time I get back on my Jet small bump compliance and the plush ride makes me fall right back in love.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I really hope Niner can move forward. If they do I will continue to own their bikes.

For those who already own Niners I think there is a loyal following. Question is. Can they attract new owners.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think Niner is moving forward, they are no longer in Bankruptcy and have a new owner.

I found this topic interesting because it is a great example of the dynamic aspect of the market. Niner crested something from nothing, and led a trend that became a standard. But the industry counter-punched very hard. I have had yet another Detour IPA, so I cannot recall the quote right now, but it is related to boxing and what one does when they get punched int he face. The larger companies in the industry responded, but Ninerís counter remains to be seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The ONLY way they will survive will be to go direct sales and put racers on podiums. Win on Sunday and sell on Monday. When was the last time you saw a rider on a niner take a podium at a professional level? They are also woefully lacking the "cool" or "it" factor like evil has that helped them overcome some pretty bad history.

Even then, they will have to compete with YT, Canyon and Commencal who are pretty much owning that market right now.

As far as suspension goes. Have you compared it to the new crop of bikes that are out? I cant see how a suspension system that appears to have not seen any updates in a decade is worth staying loyal to a brand in financial crisis. I wouldn't buy a car from a manufacturer in bankruptcy. A new home from from a builder in ch 11? No way.

This isn't to kick niner when their down, i hope they pull the stick back. The one constant in these problems is Chris and until that changes, i would expect more of the same.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

www.ninjichor.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    The ONLY way they will survive will be to go direct sales and put racers on podiums. Win on Sunday and sell on Monday. When was the last time you saw a rider on a niner take a podium at a professional level? They are also woefully lacking the "cool" or "it" factor like evil has that helped them overcome some pretty bad history.

Even then, they will have to compete with YT, Canyon and Commencal who are pretty much owning that market right now.
    What do you see in Kona? They don't show up on pro podiums, at least on the World Cup, and had the Stinky rep of being heavy, yet cracking, since people wanted huckable bikes. They still got the huckable image, but they have a grassroots racing thing going too.

mtbr member
    Connor Fearon
    Kerry Werner

I have also been highly critical of some of konas decisions and posted my thoughts on the forums.
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 08-25-2018 at 02:23 PM.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Wasnít the thing behind CVA the fact that it operated the same no matter what chain ring you were in?

So my question is. How is it still ďbetterĒ then other systems now that most bikes only use one change ring?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    just clarifying that Niner exited bankruptcy with a new owner. I am not a fan of the brand but note a couple of recent articles in BRAIN on them describing a couple of new engineers and Niner doing more of the pre-assembly for LBS. So, wait and see...

but they could have got more competitive through buy direct. On the other hand, even a zombie dead brand like Marin has made a comeback through the LBS, but larger scale like Performance. Who knows, maybe Niner finds a niche at COSTCO?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Niner will make it. I have had nearly ever Niner ever made and loved them all. However I have major reservations on buying a new one because of their parts availability. Finding year specific parts has become a nightmare. I can get suspension pieces for my 6 year old Giant but have to beg for CVA parts on my two year old Niner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Jenson is running a fantastic deal on a RIP 9 alloy frame and Lyrik for combination.. The medium would fit me well, but the aforementioned parts availability is scary. This looks like a one year old only; Niner released it last year, and then hasn't bothered to continue it...

Single year bike, trying to find parts in the future if necessary? Yikes. If the pivot pieces and hardwarewere the same as the carbon RDO bike, then perhaps it wouldn't be so bad... But are they? Unknown.

Really on the fence about this purchase. Stellar deal, but what of the future?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Racing has no influence on the majority of riders, myself included. Modern geometry, reliability, and support from the manufacturer are big deals for me.

Looking at the RIP 9 numbers, I need the reach of XL with the seat tube length and stack of the medium
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Wasnít the thing behind CVA the fact that it operated the same no matter what chain ring you were in?

So my question is. How is it still ďbetterĒ then other systems now that most bikes only use one change ring?
    Thats definitely a good question. VPP moves the IC around and is on what...version 4.0 now?

Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    just clarifying that Niner exited bankruptcy with a new owner. I am not a fan of the brand but note a couple of recent articles in BRAIN on them describing a couple of new engineers and Niner doing more of the pre-assembly for LBS. So, wait and see...

but they could have got more competitive through buy direct. On the other hand, even a zombie dead brand like Marin has made a comeback through the LBS, but larger scale like Performance. Who knows, maybe Niner finds a niche at COSTCO?

Performance would be a nice option. Costco would be sad, but not out of the realm of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by jpayne12364 View Post
    Niner will make it. I have had nearly ever Niner ever made and loved them all. However I have major reservations on buying a new one because of their parts availability. Finding year specific parts has become a nightmare. I can get suspension pieces for my 6 year old Giant but have to beg for CVA parts on my two year old Niner.
    In my experience, i would guess thats a result of niner short/late/not paying their suppliers or suppliers reluctance to receive orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Speireag View Post
    Jenson is running a fantastic deal on a RIP 9 alloy frame and Lyrik for combination.. The medium would fit me well, but the aforementioned parts availability is scary. This looks like a one year old only; Niner released it last year, and then hasn't bothered to continue it...

Single year bike, trying to find parts in the future if necessary? Yikes. If the pivot pieces and hardwarewere the same as the carbon RDO bike, then perhaps it wouldn't be so bad... But are they? Unknown.

On the surface its definitely a good price for what you're getting. Just have to roll the dice whether its worth the risk. Its like buying a saab or hummer in 2008.

You may also check and see if these guys have anything that could work for you. End of year and i know there's still wiggle room in those listed prices.
    https://centrecitycycles.com/products-page/closeouts/

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Racing has no influence on the majority of riders, myself included. Modern geometry, reliability, and support from the manufacturer are big deals for me.

Looking at the RIP 9 numbers, I need the reach of XL with the seat tube length and stack of the medium
    We'll agree to disagree. Niner lacks (good) exposure and when teams win, that energy trickles down to the distributors and shops not to mention the media exposure. Lance Armstrong pretty much put trek at the center of the road biking world in the 2000s. I guarantee Commencal will sell a lot more bikes this year than last

We can absolutely agree that the STL is way too long for the short reach/TTL.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

www.ninjichor.com
    More news: https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...er-netherlands

The gist: Niner opens EU distro center (in Netherlands). Niner pre-assembling bikes ~50% before shipping to dealers.

Some other post-chap 11 news for reference: https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...keting-manager

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    More news: https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...er-netherlands

The gist: Niner opens EU distro center (in Netherlands). Niner pre-assembling bikes ~50% before shipping to dealers.

Some other post-chap 11 news for reference: https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...keting-manager
    I wonder why they don't just copy packaging from YT and Canyon. The videos I've seen make it look pretty darn easy to put the bike together in about 1/2hr.

10,000,000 Watts
    Between Jets and Rips thru the years, Iíve owned like 9. Just recently built another new 2017 Rip9. Owned the Pivot 429 Trail, Evil Following MB recently and just like the Rip. Iím a little old school when it comes to HTA and I believe thatís why I like them. Idc that they went bankrupt, and Iíve never broke a frame. I love the di2 ready frames. You donít see that on any YTís or Evils. So, they do bring future set up to the table. You can pound on the new Rip9 and not give it a second thought. Mated with a Fox 36 and itís bliss. IMO.
    ďAs a top contributor to the Sierra Club, I can honestly say, the next time you wipe, thank a logger.Ē

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I would like to see longer reach and lower stand over. I had to go with med frame based on higher stand over the current trend. In doing so ended up with shorter reach then I wanted.

mtbr member
    More news: [URL]h

Increasing production and pre-assembling bikes people dont want sounds like a solid sugai plan.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

10,000,000 Watts
    All depends on what your flavor is. They were revamped in 2017 and they rock. Idk how long yíall been riding but there is a lot of marketing hype going on and I understand, however it doesnít make a bike unworthy because they donít change their dimensions yearly.
    ďAs a top contributor to the Sierra Club, I can honestly say, the next time you wipe, thank a logger.Ē

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    With Yeti stepping up, doesn't Niner need to go "lifetime" with the warranty if they hope to be considered with them, SC, Pivot, etc.???

10,000,000 Watts
    It would help gain consumer confidence for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Donít they already have a lifetime warranty?

As in it takes a lifetime sometimes to honor thier warranty.

Honestly I really hope they stick around. I have an emotional attachment to the brand for some reason Maybe itís cause I grew up in Torrance Ca where they began.

I want a big bike to go with my Jet. Maybe if the go consumer direct the can compete with brands like YtT. Hard to be YT prices. They are smart to offer bikes under 3k. I can have a Capra for almost half of a Rip

Buddy just ordered a Jeffsy. He had it together in about 30 mins.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ...bikes people dont want...
    But isn't that really the problem they need to solve??? Seems like people that own them love them. And reviews for the RKT, JET, and RIP are (nearly) all positive. Some seem almost apologetic about saying how good they are.

So...why don't people want them? It doesn't appear to be a "ride" issue...as discussed previously, for some reason, they have a horrible image problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Enduro Brah.

mtbr member
    IMHO, if they'd stuck with XC & trail and kept improving on that segment instead of getting into everything they might have been better off. Seems like they just tried too hard to expand their line and spread themselves too thin and everything got worse. Something kona has been guilty of as well.

Somehow niner have become synonymous with uncool and who owns that? The company? The consumers? Either way, its certainly not just an enduro issue. The industry is fickle at best and whats hot today wont be tomorrow. Take water bottles for example. 2-3 years ago only xc spandex riders and goofballs had bottles. Now every god d@mned bike is being redesigned to fit a bottle because of "trends".

Having the vision to identify these trends beforehand and stay ahead of them seems to be key. Sugai got lucky once and has been on his back foot ever since.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    I would like to see longer reach and lower stand over. I had to go with med frame based on higher stand over the current trend. In doing so ended up with shorter reach then I wanted.
    I agree on the stand over. With my shorter legs and a medium 2017 rip I have to use a rather short dropper. But my wife's ibis ripley has plenty of room for at least a 175mm dropper for me. Or I guess that relates to seat mast height not stand over.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    IMHO, if they'd stuck with XC & trail and kept improving on that segment instead of getting into everything they might have been better off. Seems like they just tried too hard to expand their line and spread themselves too thin and everything got worse. Something kona has been guilty of as well.

Somehow niner have become synonymous with uncool and who owns that? The company? The consumers? Either way, its certainly not just an enduro issue. The industry is fickle at best and whats hot today wont be tomorrow. Take water bottles for example. 2-3 years ago only xc spandex riders and goofballs had bottles. Now every god d@mned bike is being redesigned to fit a bottle because of "trends".

Having the vision to identify these trends beforehand and stay ahead of them seems to be key. Sugai got lucky once and has been on his back foot ever since.
    Yes this bottle cage madness has got to stop. If I wanted a bike that looked like a pregnant bass from the side I'd buy an '08 stumpjumper (again)

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Parts from the Rip RDO fit the 2017 frame that's on Jenson. I have the same frame and actually wrote to them asking about availability of parts due to the same concern. I'm going to order some backup parts just in case.
    I love the bike I built...it's flat out excellent. Run over technical trails, fast loamy mountainous stuff, and straight downhill. It's taken it all and never felt like it was overmatched.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    Between Jets and Rips thru the years, Iíve owned like 9. Just recently built another new 2017 Rip9. Owned the Pivot 429 Trail, Evil Following MB recently and just like the Rip. Iím a little old school when it comes to HTA and I believe thatís why I like them. Idc that they went bankrupt, and Iíve never broke a frame. I love the di2 ready frames. You donít see that on any YTís or Evils. So, they do bring future set up to the table. You can pound on the new Rip9 and not give it a second thought. Mated with a Fox 36 and itís bliss. IMO.
    Same frame, got a DVO Diamond on mine. Love it. Really sucks they've gotten a sour rep over the last few years, as it's a stellar bike.
    Actually just bought a Fox DHX2 Coil shock for shits n giggles...put on this morning. Gonna have to see how it goes with that.

10,000,000 Watts
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Bill View Post
    Same frame, got a DVO Diamond on mine. Love it. Really sucks they've gotten a sour rep over the last few years, as it's a stellar bike.
    Actually just bought a Fox DHX2 Coil shock for shits n giggles...put on this morning. Gonna have to see how it goes with that.
    Nice! Iíve got a new X2 and the New Fox 36. Di2, Carbon etc.. 29.15#. What IMO opinion has hurt Niner and pissed me off was when you build a new Niner and next year they slash the frame prices in half and your bike drops like lead. This year I bought the slashed frame from Competitive cyclist and am reasonably into the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I agree about the value slash, but that only would bug me if I'm thinking of it as a sale investment. I have to admit I did get upset that I was upset to see that Jenson released a Frame/Fork combo with a Lyrik fork like 3 days after I got my frame for $50 bucks more. Not that I would have kept fork...I'd have sold it.
    So, a fellow e-shifting rider. I have the Archer D1x mated to an Eagle drivetrain. Didn't go carbon, as it just scares me that it might break without giving any warning (I know I'm ridiculous in that thought lol).
    It really sucks, as the bike has done anything I've asked it to and then some. I just hope they can figure out this image issue and get on a good track.

Chilling out
    FWIW, I've a fair number of miles on my RIP9RDO and even after lots of central / eastern PA, about a week worth of bike park abuse (on 65% the same trails I took my Kona Operator) it's still laughing and begging for more, and I have the stock dampers (monarch+ debonair / lyrik 170 fork).

I did put an MRP Stage control on the fork but otherwise it's all stock.

This holiday weekend I've back-2-back "epic trail" rides in the more buff trail near Charlotte NC and the bike kills it.

The only reason I'm keeping my hardtail is it's inevitable that there will be bike down time for maintenance, and Bear gotta ride.

Plus it's good for skills to remember how to ride other bikes. ;^)

related: definitely raised my eyebrow when Yeti brought out the SB150, that with 2-3d steeper head (66-67 most-slack) I feel would work great for me but I really don't feel the interest in a single-crown 29er DH bike, I can understand how EWS focused it may be though. At this point if I had to replace the RIP9 though it'd be a tough call, depends on how I'm riding at the time. I'm grateful there's more than one good 29er "six inch" bike out there, for the future.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Ok letís assume Ninerís future is solid.

Any speculation on what we can expect to see in the future. Jet and Rio revamp is about 3 years old now. What might we see. What would you like to see?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I work PT in a shop that is looking for another brand to carry and so far Niner has not been mentioned in that discussion. Other than the bankruptcy, dated geometry, and some customer service issues are holding them back. They need a bike to compete against the Yeti SB130, Ripmo, Troy 29, and Knolly Fugitive.

mtbr member
    Their website lists 5 locations in austin (same company) that carry niner. As I recall the only bikes they had on the floor were year old+ clearance bikes.

Beyond competing with SB130s and ripmos etc, they still need something to compete with bikes from 2016.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Why compete with flavor of the month? I'm tired of "longer this" or "more slack that"

Here on the east coast we need BB height and something that will take switch backs without having to wheelie or slide the back tire around.

Y'all want new colors and stickers I understand, but new doesn't mean better.

Only thing I want niner to do is lower the seat post mast so I can use a 150mm dropper with my short legs and maybe do something about the cable routing around the rear shock.

Keep the threaded BB, keep the HT angle, maybe a little more down tube protection.

Oh! I almost forgot. Maybe a little more room for my super flexy XO cranks on those chain stays.

But longer? No, more slack HT angle? No.

Maybe they should keep the rip, drop the jet and create a cookie cutter enduro POS for all the left coasties to sell off after 3 months of taking pics of it at obscure trail heads or on their bike racks?

Aaaaaaand I'm out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Pacific Cycles does not own Huffy.

Pacific Cycle is owned by Dorel Sports. Dorel owns Pacific Cycle, Roadmaster, Iron Horse, Schwinn, GT, Charge, Fabric, and Cannondale. Dorel is based in Canada

UWHK Ltd Owns Huffy, Batch Cycles (soon to be released), Niner, and Allite Inc (another new brand) UWHK is Hong Kong based.

10,000,000 Watts
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Why compete with flavor of the month? I'm tired of "longer this" or "more slack that"

Here on the east coast we need BB height and something that will take switch backs without having to wheelie or slide the back tire around.

Only thing I want niner to do is lower the seat post mast so I can use a 150mm dropper with my short legs and maybe do something about the cable routing around the rear shock.

Keep the threaded BB, keep the HT angle, maybe a little more down tube protection.

Oh! I almost forgot. Maybe a little more room for my super flexy XO cranks on those chain stays.

Maybe they should keep the rip, drop the jet and create a cookie cutter enduro POS for all the left coasties to sell off after 3 months of taking pics of it at obscure trail heads or on their bike racks?

Aaaaaaand I'm out!
    👍 All I know is my Rip 9, Rips! Iíve owned Pivot 429 Trail, New MB Following and always come back to the Rip. The head angle is fast for XC trails and BB is perfect. Very hard for 90% of the riders out there to be held back by the Rip9. I married the girl, not the family!

www.ninjichor.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerme View Post
    Pacific Cycles does not own Huffy.

Pacific Cycle is owned by Dorel Sports. Dorel owns Pacific Cycle, Roadmaster, Iron Horse, Schwinn, GT, Charge, Fabric, and Cannondale. Dorel is based in Canada

UWHK Ltd Owns Huffy, Batch Cycles (soon to be released), Niner, and Allite Inc (another new brand) UWHK is Hong Kong based.
    Thanks for the correction. Looks legit from the quick verification check I just did now.

mtbr member

Aaaaaaand I'm out!
    Agree with the LLS thing being an issue in certain parts of the country. Austin, where i live is switchback/tech/rock city and feels more like trials riding than mountain biking. A bike with a little higher BB is nice and reasonable wheelbase makes the trails manageable. Most people just buy modern bikes and size down one.

Niner would have been way better off building niche XC and racing bikes and downsized to a direct sales model. Instead, they tried to jump into the enduro pond and got their @sses handed to them yet again. Take the ROS for example. The frames were almost $1k for how many years? You could buy a steel honzo frame with interchangeable sliding dropouts for nearly half the price.

 All I know is my Rip 9, Rips! Iíve owned Pivot 429 Trail, New MB Following and always come back to the Rip. The head angle is fast for XC trails and BB is perfect. Very hard for 90% of the riders out there to be held back by the Rip9. I married the girl, not the family!
    Isnt the RIP just a buffed WFO? The GEO seems a bit schizophrenic to me.
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 09-17-2018 at 07:20 AM.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    RIP is second FS bike I've owned (16 Kona Process 111 being first). I love it. Taken it over all sorts of terrain and never felt it holding me back or being left wanting.
    Then again, I'm not all about measuring angles, etc on my bikes. This sucker just feels good riding...so I really couldn't care about whether it's more or less modern than another bike. I guess to those who find that more important, perhaps Niner is behind the times.
    Me? I'm happy with my Gray beauty
    All I know is my Rip 9, Rips! Iíve owned Pivot 429 Trail, New MB Following and always come back to the Rip. The head angle is fast for XC trails and BB is perfect. Very hard for 90% of the riders out there to be held back by the Rip9. I married the girl, not the family!
    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Isnt the RIP just a buffed WFO? The GEO seems a bit schizophrenic to me.
    They are similar. I came from the 2014 wfo to the 2017 rip just to get boost spacing and the little longer top tube. TBH the wfo did everything just fine. It even had enough space for the hansdampf 2.35 on a stans flow rim that I love to run.

But time marches on no matter how much I complain.

10,000,000 Watts
    I run di2 and havenít seen a frame better equipped for it. The revamped 2017ís are better imo, but 4 yrs ago, thought that model year was the bomb!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I work PT in a shop that is looking for another brand to carry and so far Niner has not been mentioned in that discussion. Other than the bankruptcy, dated geometry, and some customer service issues are holding them back. They need a bike to compete against the Yeti SB130, Ripmo, Troy 29, and Knolly Fugitive.
    I'd put the JET9 and RIP9 up against any of those bikes listed head to head. It's understandable that the "cool kids" want geo of the month, but the RIP9 RDO is a bike that's been better than the Yeti SB5.5 and Santa Cruz Tallboy LT (VPP pretty mediocre) which I've also owned. And those are (were) two if the most hyped bikes up until a few weeks ago before the Firebird 29, SB150, Mondraker, Fugitive, etc. were announced.

Performance to value you can't beat the JET9 and RIP9 RDO's. Yeti's will look great on the back of your Q7 but you are now paying a premium for their "lifetime warranty" as well.

I do think Niner had issues with blowing stuff out online (hence shops reluctant to pick them up possibly) but at this point I'd think they have far more more money behind them than say Yeti and Pivot now and I would think the online blowouts should ease up with fresh money infused.

Seems the reviews on these super slack and long bikes are a love/hate based on friends that have ridden the new Ripmo, Sentinel, etc.. Ride as many bikes as you can, Outerbike is a great event to ride 5 bikes back to back in a day on the same terrain.

Either way we won't see "new stuff" from the new Niner for 18+ months I'd bet.

mtbr member
    Well as we know, "better" is always very subjective. Ride what you like but the market will dictate whats popular and niner is currently not it. Getting the brand moving forward is the name of the game and not sure if introducing a full SUS CX bike or a 27.5 in 2018 is the answer. Build whats hot and what people think they want. Niner would do really well in the new crop ox XC "down country" rigs that are coming out.

As far as blowouts go, I just checked jenson and it looks like most of the 2018s and 2019s are full price with a smattering of 17s etc marked down. Im actually surprised they are carrying new models as jenson usually waits to buy leftover stuff dirt cheap and blow it out.

Damn, are they really selling rip 29er with a 170mm fork on a bike with a 67* HTA?
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    I'd put the JET9 and RIP9 up against any of those bikes listed head to head. It's understandable that the "cool kids" want geo of the month, but the RIP9 RDO is a bike that's been better than the Yeti SB5.5 and Santa Cruz Tallboy LT (VPP pretty mediocre) which I've also owned. And those are (were) two if the most hyped bikes up until a few weeks ago before the Firebird 29, SB150, Mondraker, Fugitive, etc. were announced.

Performance to value you can't beat the JET9 and RIP9 RDO's. Yeti's will look great on the back of your Q7 but you are now paying a premium for their "lifetime warranty" as well.

I do think Niner had issues with blowing stuff out online (hence shops reluctant to pick them up possibly) but at this point I'd think they have far more more money behind them than say Yeti and Pivot now and I would think the online blowouts should ease up with fresh money infused.

Seems the reviews on these super slack and long bikes are a love/hate based on friends that have ridden the new Ripmo, Sentinel, etc.. Ride as many bikes as you can, Outerbike is a great event to ride 5 bikes back to back in a day on the same terrain.

Either way we won't see "new stuff" from the new Niner for 18+ months I'd bet.
    it is too bad that Niner did not have this appeal to a large number of riders. they would not have entered bankruptcy.

www.ninjichor.com
    @GSJ1973 Dang, you went the full spectrum almost. Santa Cruz and Yeti have relatively firm responsive pedaling, with the difference between them being Yeti's suspension curve being tuned for mid-sized hits (e.g. plowing roots and rock gardens), that begs for beefy parts that can withstand higher speeds (point and shoot style riding in areas that can maintain 15+ mph), and SC's suspension curve being tuned for a balance at sweet spot riding speeds (7-13 mph), for firmness when pedaling, but with pop and plushness deeper in the travel. Niner CVA, in contrast, just rides like it's on a cloud, super active under pedaling and braking, possibly moreso than FSR. It's kind of like what Maestro tries to be, but made a bit more suited to enthusiast level riding.

Now that I think about it, Niner is to Giant, like Ibis is to Specialized, in how their target market overlaps, with Spec and Giant serving the mainstream and Ibis and Niner serving the enthusiasts who demand more performance.

10,000,000 Watts
    Well as we know, "better" is always very subjective. Ride what you like but the market will dictate whats popular and niner is currently not it. Getting the brand moving forward is the name of the game and not sure if introducing a full SUS CX bike or a 27.5 in 2018 is the answer. Build whats hot and what people think they want. Niner would do really well in the new crop ox XC "down country" rigs that are coming out.

As far as blowouts go, I just checked jenson and it looks like most of the 2018s and 2019s are full price with a smattering of 17s etc marked down. Im actually surprised they are carrying new models as jenson usually waits to buy leftover stuff dirt cheap and blow it out.

Damn, are they really selling rip 29er with a 170mm fork on a bike with a 67* HTA?
    Yup. Two of them in my stable. I agree, ride what you like. 7 yrs ago, I was riding same Pisgah gnar on my Epic. Steep head angle? Hell yeah.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Say what you like but Ripmos are selling like hotcakes and without sales there is no business. 2 of my friends just ordered Ripmos and my Fugitive frame just arrived because around here and many other places these bikes are perfect. Niner needs a XC race, mid travel 29, and a big travel 29, all with updated geometry if they want to be around 3 years from now.

mtbr member
    Say what you like but Ripmos are selling like hotcakes and without sales there is no business. 2 of my friends just ordered Ripmos and my Fugitive frame just arrived because around here and many other places these bikes are perfect. Niner needs a XC race, mid travel 29, and a big travel 29, all with updated geometry if they want to be around 3 years from now.
    Comparing the geo on the Fugitive to the Jet 9, both have similar geos? Also comparing the Ripmo to the RIP 9, again both have similar goes and 150mm is consider "big travel" for 29.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My large Fugitive has 477mm of reach compared to the Jet 9's 445mm, never mind the crazy long seat tube that would prevent me from even fitting on it. Niner's short reach, and long seat tubes are loosing sales.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Fugitive has 30mm longer reach then Jet. If I have one complaint about my Jet its short reach.
    Last edited by Five0; 09-18-2018 at 05:02 PM.

mtbr member
    My large Fugitive has 477mm of reach compared to the Jet 9's 445mm, never mind the crazy long seat tube that would prevent me from even fitting on it. Niner's short reach, and long seat tubes are loosing sales.
    Chris Sugai is causing them to lose sales. Bike are just the symptom.

And yes, their geo is batsh*t crazy.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iím curious how they get the fugative to tackle such gnarly terrain with only 120mm. Is it all in the geo?

Or is it the DPX2 over the DPS?. Or both?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    2 Fugitive versions, 120/140, and 135/150. Same frame, different lengths of shocks. My Moxie hardtail handle gnar very well, so yes, geometry is a huge part.

mtbr member
    I will say this: I went to dirt fest at Big Bear lake in WV (one of my fav trail spots) and rode this beloved Ripmo that everyone is talking about, the weirdo pivot firebird 29 and a yeti sb6 (just as a reminder.)

I liked the Ripmo, don't get me wrong. But is it 120% better than my Rip9? Nope, especially not for the price.

The Firebird? Bad ass bike, pedals great, surprised me with no heal strikes and its 157 rear end. But once again, $5K+ entry price.

The yeti? They love their pedaling efficiency and give up everything else to get it. And if the DNA is the same the 150 will leave you with no teeth smiling for pics at the winners circle.

Whatever blows your hair back but Niner needs more props than they get for keeping bikes realistic. Yes most of us want to ride like Ritchie but really we just dork around out there and try to have fun, right?

wretch
    Increasing production and pre-assembling bikes people dont want sounds like a solid sugai plan.
    Therein lies the problem. There might be a new "third floor" owner but Chris remains there day to day and trust me ... that's the biggest problem. I'd wager that their next few releases are all gravel based or a small update to a RIP / JET / WFO (aka shuffling the models around again chasing travel trends) Oh yea, gravel bikes and E-bikes b/c the new owners want to see profit.

I like turtles

Aaaaaaand I'm out!
    Pretty much

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    I had a RIP9. Older model 2012 this was just as they were losing their "cool factor". So can't say how the new ones are. It seems that they made the old RIP a Jet and the old WFO a RIP. My RIP was my first FS bike and the first real MTB I've owned. It was a decent bike but not fantastic. The stock RP23 shock combined with the CVA was a turd it wallowed terribly on successive square ledge hits which is basically everywhere in central Texas. I guess this is the plush people talk about with Niner. The head angle was steeper than claimed even with a 140 fork which really pushed your weight forward on steep rollers. I eventually replaced the RP23 with a Manitou McLeod and that really transformed the way the bike behaved in the chunk. Also installed offset shock bushings to slacken the head angle which really helped. I liked the bike a lot but had to do a lot of mods to get it where it felt right to me. Sold it and bought a Following when they went on sale just before the MB. Worlds of difference between the two. The Following just eats up the chunk and stays planted and when you point it down it's extremely confident and stable. If Niner would or could have stayed current with the geo trends they'd still be a bike people want. It would be nice to see them evolve back into the "cool" brand but like people have mentioned it seems Chris Sugai is too set in his beliefs to let the brand move forward.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

Bannėd
    I have a feeling that some people obsess over geometry and the latest and greatest XYZ on forums more than they actually ride their dang bike(s). My RIP is my tool for anything from XC grinds to park days and I never feel like I need to throw it in the garbage at the end of the day.

Maybe this thread should be moved to passion since some of you seem so passionate about Niner not being the cool kid on the block. Have fun with your forum and parking lot pissing matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That's more than Catfish would do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ochmonek View Post
    I have a feeling that some people obsess over geometry and the latest and greatest XYZ on forums more than they actually ride their dang bike(s). My RIP is my tool for anything from XC grinds to park days and I never feel like I need to throw it in the garbage at the end of the day.

Maybe this thread should be moved to passion since some of you seem so passionate about Niner not being the cool kid on the block. Have fun with your forum and parking lot pissing matches.
    If only more people shared your "passion", niner wouldn't have declared bankruptcy.

I've owned and ridden enough bikes to know improved geometry is far from a fad and apparently most all serious buyers do as well. Nobody wants to bash a niner pogo stick down an enduro course. If they did, you'd see them. If they were still popular with the XC crowd you see them being ridden by something other than kids who had them passed down from their parents after they moved on to something else.

In the end, even cannondale is getting their sh*t together so niner has no excuse. Tick tock sugai ........
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    I've owned and ridden enough bikes to know improved geometry is far from a fad and apparently most all serious buyers do as well.
    What do you consider "improved" geometry? Stupidly low BB heights so you end up smashing your pedals everywhere? Super slack head angles, long wheelbases, long reach and long CS? That turn manualling into a 300lb dead lift and that turn like a 747 taxiing down LAX?

Both the RIP 9 and Jet 9 are very nice balanced all mountain/trail bikes, and would choose them over majority of these "improved" geometry bikes out there today.

Bannėd
    If only more people shared your "passion", niner wouldn't have declared bankruptcy.

I've owned and ridden enough bikes to know improved geometry is far from a fad and apparently most all serious buyers do as well. Nobody wants to bash a niner pogo stick down an enduro course. If they did, you'd see them. If they were still popular with the XC crowd you see them being ridden by something other than kids who had them passed down from their parents after they moved on to something else.

In the end, even cannondale is getting their sh*t together so niner has no excuse. Tick tock sugai ........
    Iím not claiming geometry changes are a fad at all, just pointing out that there are people visiting a sub forum of a brand they have no interest in other than predicting their demise and to claim numbers on paper are the end all be all for how a bike rides. My current RIP is a warranty from the previous generation and when the time comes for me to look for a new bike Iíll demo several like I did before buy my 2014 RIP.

In the end I like to ride bikes and focus more on my riding skills than the tools, took my BMX out on easy dirt the other day for my sonís first trail ride (he rides a balance bike) and had a blast messing around with it on different terrain than it usually sees.

I see a lot of dudes here in So Cal all decked out with the newest YT/Evil/S.C./Yeti/whatever, half lid and 100% goggles and then I see them ride and they would be perfectly suited on a XC hardtail the way they ride. Sure I see some rippers too but like back in my snowboarding days many folks are concerned what others think and god knows you canít be seen on a lame brand because that automatically makes you a noob who knows nothing about riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That's more than Catfish would do.

mtbr member
    Sure, ill agree people overbike all the time. They are however buying bikes other than niner, regardless of what the O.G. riders think. For niners survival, that old school mindset is obviously not selling bikes.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Well, this thread perked up quickly.

While I agree that maybe Niner isn't as modern, I actually really enjoy my bike. It may not be for everyone, and I doubt if I'd ever see the same setup as I'm running on my 2017 RIP 9 anyway, as i built it from a frame and didn't use the stock shock (have it coil now).
    Frankly that's I like that.
    Sure, I'm concerned that I might need a part and not be able to get it should they fold, but I guess I'll cross that bridge if/when I get there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ochmonek View Post

I just pulled the trigger on a 2019 RIP 9 RDO after demoing one. The thing is amazing up and down! Itís a shame to see NINER not at the top of discussions but, Iíll keep my mouth shut and enjoy the ride. I bought a YT Jeffsey sight unseen and was disappointed to say the least when I went on my first ride, it just didnít mesh well with me. I demoed a NINER the following week and instantly knew this was the bike for me! Not bashing YT, it just didnít live up to all the hype online and wasnít the right bike for ME. The RIP is a diamond in the rough.....

mtbr member
    To be clear, i'm not criticizing anyone's personal bike or arguing that you shouldn't be happy with your purchase. There's a butt for every seat and i'm glad you're happy with your niner.

As a whole, niner has fallen out of fashion and the head of the company doesn't seem to have a clear vision as to what it takes to right the ship. That change will have to include the adoption of modern standards or it will continue to fail. Hope it works out as we all root for the underdog. Hell, kona was absolute trash up until a few years ago and they've turned it around. Diamondback, evil, and from the looks of it, cannondale have done/are doing what it takes to be successful in the modern bike market.

It can be done
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Donít be surprised if Niner releases a cool/modern geo mid travel 29er this spring😉.

mtbr member
    Lol...I don't think Niner really has to do all that much to update their geometry. I almost bought the alu RIP 9 frame/fork from Jenson just based on price alone...until I saw the reach. It's pretty short. Something like a 425 in a medium with a 160mm fork. My current trail bike has a 430 reach.

Move the reach to ~440 and make the HTA adjustable from ~66-65 on the medium (adjust the other sizes accordingly) RIP 9. They really don't need to go all fringe in the geo department.

mtbr member
    To be clear, i'm not criticizing anyone's personal bike or arguing that you shouldn't be happy with your purchase. There's a butt for every seat and i'm glad you're happy with your niner.

As a whole, niner has fallen out of fashion and the head of the company doesn't seem to have a clear vision as to what it takes to right the ship. That change will have to include the adoption of modern standards or it will continue to fail. Hope it works out as we all root for the underdog. Hell, kona was absolute trash up until a few years ago and they've turned it around. Diamondback, evil, and from the looks of it, cannondale have done/are doing what it takes to be successful in the modern bike market.

It can be done
    Who cares about fashion? And when did new geometry become a "standard"?

And Kona has never been "trash" as far as I know.

Not every company is going to sell a bike that works on your trails. Some are more suited to one end of the country or the other.

BUT, don't hate on a company because they don't make a bike that you wouldn't buy any way because it's not the color you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Lol...I don't think Niner really has to do all that much to update their geometry. I almost bought the alu RIP 9 frame/fork from Jenson just based on price alone...until I saw the reach. It's pretty short. Something like a 425 in a medium with a 160mm fork. My current trail bike has a 430 reach.

Move the reach to ~440 and make the HTA adjustable from ~66-65 on the medium (adjust the other sizes accordingly) RIP 9. They really don't need to go all fringe in the geo department.
    I was concerned about it coming from a Kona Process 111, which had a larger reach in large size. Actually bought my 2017 RIP alu frame the week before the frame/fork combo showed up for $50 more .
    Once I built it up and got it out on the trails, I really began to love the bike. They really are just different bikes. I liked the Kona a lot, I love the Niner.
    Admittedly, I mostly ride tech trails with lots of roots, etc....but I have taken it full downhill riding and had no issues.
    Granted, mine has a much different shock than came with the bike. Surprisingly, it still pedals extremely well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I still think the Jet goes to 130mm rear 140 front. Hopefully they lengthen the reach 20 to 30mm

mtbr member
    I bet and hope they release a whole new bike in a new category with a new name. Most likely will resemble the 27.5 protype recently released this year.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/kirt-voreis-niner-275-prototype-sea-otter-2018.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hereís my rig, itís amazing!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Bill View Post
    I was concerned about it coming from a Kona Process 111, which had a larger reach in large size. Actually bought my 2017 RIP alu frame the week before the frame/fork combo showed up for $50 more .
    Once I built it up and got it out on the trails, I really began to love the bike. They really are just different bikes. I liked the Kona a lot, I love the Niner.
    Admittedly, I mostly ride tech trails with lots of roots, etc....but I have taken it full downhill riding and had no issues.
    Granted, mine has a much different shock than came with the bike. Surprisingly, it still pedals extremely well.

Is that a 2017+ rip rdo with a DVO fork and coil rear shock? My BROTHA!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Is that a 2017+ rip rdo with a DVO fork and coil rear shock? My BROTHA!
    2017 RIP 9 Alu with a DVO Diamond and Fox DHX2 coil.
    Fork I had previous to frame purchase. Shock, I got a great deal on. Had considered a DVO Jade coil, but I got my Fox for 200 less with the coil...
    Still may go with the DVO shock if I find one for the right price.

mtbr member
    Well then, check my posts about the DVO jade and DVO Topaz. you'll like either.

I've messed up enough stuff in my time to make many, many calls to tech lines and DVO is buy far the best for fixing my drunk F-ups.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Well then, check my posts about the DVO jade and DVO Topaz. you'll like either.

I've messed up enough stuff in my time to make many, many calls to tech lines and DVO is buy far the best for fixing my drunk F-ups.
    Sounds like my experience with the Archer D1x. I messed that thing up installing batteries backwards (I got one of first retail models). Had replacement next day. Guys there really cool to work with.

Thing I liked about DVO is their great documentation for maintenance. I'll have to check out your posts

mtbr member
    Who cares about fashion? And when did new geometry become a "standard?
    when the vast majority of the industry and consumers adopted it

And Kona has never been "trash" as far as I know.
    they had some pretty dark days in the 00s. prior to the process 2.0 line i would have never considered one

Not every company is going to sell a bike that works on your trails. Some are more suited to one end of the country or the other.
    the smart ones do.

BUT, don't hate on a company because they don't make a bike that you wouldn't buy any way because it's not the color you want.
    Where did i mention color? Improve the HTA, STA, STL, WB, TTL, Reach, WB, CSL, BB height and lastly the owner, and niner should be G2G.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I don't really get the perception that Niner doesn't have updated geometry. I specifically went with a Jet 9 RDO v2 for having my ideal trail bike geometry - shorter stays, decently steep HA, and a steep seat tube angle (hardest to find). There's in reality very few bikes that have anything more aggressive for a 130/120 trail bike.

For comparison, the Jet V2's geometry #'s are very close to the brand new Stumpjumper ST. The reach is slightly longer on the Stumpy but not by much, and Jet v2 was a design 2+ years older than the new 2019 Stumpy. So I don't really see where Niner has outdated geometry by any means, unless you compare to some of the small boutique brands that are on the extreme side of things (Spot, Evil, etc.)

Also, Niner is more of a XC racing heritage company. XC has been falling in popularity and most trail bro dudes won't look at Niner simply because their heritage/perception is XC oriented, that is probably the biggest reason for them not being hugely popular.

They'll need some re-branding and marketing to appeal to the mass of more "trail" oriented bikers, and less XC/racing.

For me personally, the bike was everything I was looking for and unique enough not to see many others on the trails (like Giant, Trek, S, etc.)

www.ninjichor.com
    When you ride seriously good geo, it's hard to go back to what you came from. For example, try out the S, M, and L Giant Glory back to back. Most can do this test, thanks to the short seat tubes. I bet you'll like it more the longer it gets. I suspect there might be a wee bit of improvement past L.

There's been many attempts at "DHer's trail bike", but I don't think it's been achieved until lately for 29ers. The Enduro 29 in 2013 was a start, at least for taller riders. The Riot was promising for short riders. The R&D going into enduro bikes bore a ton of fruit recently. The latest Enduro 29 was an intro; now there's half a dozen options that can actually rival DH bikes for single lap times, due to the geo. Pros run stiff suspension anyways, and it's not very hard to put it all out for 1 run, which takes away the DH bike's advantage of more travel making things less taxing for gravity riding.

Simply put, there's just better out there. I wouldn't ride a Stumpy ST unless I could fit in the L (27.5) or XL, since I demand a certain length front end to match the rear end's length. Niner needs that R&D money to compete, as the R&D money that other brands into 29ers just eclipsed them unless you happen to fit on XL, or don't care at all for out-of-the-saddle fit/comfort, being perfectly fine with sitting in the saddle for 90+% of your riding.

I totally believe Sugai's right about 29er wheels just being plain superior. I'm totally sold on 'em, but just to get something short travel to fit, I'm willing to go 27.5 rear and 29er front, so my ass isn't getting buzzed by the rear tire. Appreciate his work, but I think Spec's line of "innovate or die" might apply here. He should've sold Kirt on 29er too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Any news on 2019 line up? Anything new? Or just new colors?

mtbr member
    Probably wonít see any new/changes till early spring. I still got my money on a more agressive geo RIP with less travel resembling their 27.5 prototype.

At Work
    I feel like Niner has lost its way. I have an an MCR9 for about3 years now. I have wanted one for about 6 or more. I just liked Niners in general....... Then they decided to go away from their roots of Steel and Alum...... Now, its Carbon This and That. Gravel Bikes by the dozen....... What the Fudge is up with a FS Gravel Bike? Seriously, if the road gets that rough, time to get the MTB Out.......... My MCR is a backup to my EX9 FS. I go through periods where I ride the MCR more... Steel Is Real..... But Niner is going the way of Titus did...... Yeah, I rode that train until it broke and could not get replacement parts........... RIP...........
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast