Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    I did the same thing with my last Titus. But, niner is far from going the same way. Titus was screwed buy whomever bought them. That V2 El Guapo was a total POS (I had one) My FTM left a lot to be desired, bending shock mount hardware and zero rear tire clearance. But my V1 EG is what some of my bikes still get compared to (until it broke and I couldn't replace it).

Niner has some great bikes now, my Rip is one of my favorite bikes ever, if not THE favorite. The old sir was sweet, the one9 rdo is a freaking rocket.

But I hope they make something for the masses with the low and slack crap.

Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer View Post
    I feel like Niner has lost its way. I have an an MCR9 for about3 years now. I have wanted one for about 6 or more. I just liked Niners in general....... Then they decided to go away from their roots of Steel and Alum...... Now, its Carbon This and That. Gravel Bikes by the dozen....... What the Fudge is up with a FS Gravel Bike? Seriously, if the road gets that rough, time to get the MTB Out.......... My MCR is a backup to my EX9 FS. I go through periods where I ride the MCR more... Steel Is Real..... But Niner is going the way of Titus did...... Yeah, I rode that train until it broke and could not get replacement parts........... RIP...........

At Work
    I knew you would dive in! How you been!!!!!!! Not saying the bikes are bad. Just feel that they have gone away from their roots. I keep thinking I could sell the MCR for the money, but I just enjoy it to much!!!!!!!!
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    Yeah, I can never keep my mouth shut!

I do miss riding an American made bike too. But even the EG was made in Taiwan.

And I see your point with the "getting away from their roots" in that the steel bikes have turned into gravel and bike packing bikes and not fun all day steel hard tails.

The best example is how few used sir and MCR frames are out there. Hell, even the old scandium one9 still bring a lot of money and those broke if you looked at them funny.

A good friend of mine is trying to find a large, Kermit green sir and has been going nuts over the prices. That tells me that the old formula was still viable.

I feel like Niner has lost its way. I have an an MCR9 for about3 years now. I have wanted one for about 6 or more. I just liked Niners in general....... Then they decided to go away from their roots of Steel and Alum...... Now, its Carbon This and That. Gravel Bikes by the dozen....... What the Fudge is up with a FS Gravel Bike? Seriously, if the road gets that rough, time to get the MTB Out.......... My MCR is a backup to my EX9 FS. I go through periods where I ride the MCR more... Steel Is Real..... But Niner is going the way of Titus did...... Yeah, I rode that train until it broke and could not get replacement parts........... RIP...........
    I knew you would dive in! How you been!!!!!!! Not saying the bikes are bad. Just feel that they have gone away from their roots. I keep thinking I could sell the MCR for the money, but I just enjoy it to much!!!!!!!!

Moderator Moderator
    I feel like Niner has lost its way. I have an an MCR9 for about3 years now. I have wanted one for about 6 or more. I just liked Niners in general....... Then they decided to go away from their roots of Steel and Alum...... Now, its Carbon This and That.
    Yeah, because you can really grow a company selling only steel and aluminum bikes, right?

I'm still riding a 2005 SIR9, it is awesome. But there comes a saturation point of selling "niche" steel (and aluminum) bikes. It's pretty hard to innovate new stuff into a steel frame. You can sell a couple hundred a year, or sell a few THOUSAND carbon fiber bikes. You know, that generates profit for a company to allow it to grow and invest in other projects for bikes that people want to buy. Like gravel bikes and carbon fiber mountain bikes.

To a point, low volume frames/bikes become a distraction to a company and better left to the truly 1 man/custom frame builders. If you were running a business would you put more eggs into the low volume, low margin or high margin, high volume products? Niner is in business to make money as all companies are.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    ? Niner is in business to make money as all companies are.
    Someone needs to teach sugai that. Hopefully having a BOD hammering him for ROI will help.
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 1 Week Ago at 03:55 PM.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Yeah, because you can really grow a company selling only steel and aluminum bikes, right?
    I guess if selling out and giving up on what you believe in means your company doesn't grow, then maybe somethings just can't last forever?

I don't know the previous own (Chris) well enough to say anything about what he wants from niner at this point but I assume he is still trying to make bikes that HE likes and wants to ride. But if there is a board of people between him and the welders I'm sure it'll be the "low, slack, enduro-bro" bikes we see from everyone else right now.

Or will they weather the storm, clear current inventory and be ahead of the curve when every one gets sick of dragging their heals and riding bikes with 7' wheel base's?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    I guess if selling out and giving up on what you believe in means your company doesn't grow, then maybe somethings just can't last forever?

Like the typewriter?

Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post

But if there is a board of people between him and the welders I'm sure it'll be the "low, slack, enduro-bro" bikes we see from everyone else right now.

Or will they weather the storm, clear current inventory and be ahead of the curve when every one gets sick of dragging their heals and riding bikes with 7' wheel base's?
    If they're smart they'll follow market trends and have the flexibility to adapt to future trends or they'll go away quick. Thats what the oversight of a BOD will hopefully assure.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12