Fox DPX2 Rear Shock on 2017 JET 9 RDO- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Fox DPX2 Rear Shock on 2017 JET 9 RDO

Never really liked the stock Fox Float DPS EVOL that came standard on the frame. At 30% sag it felt too stiff. Drop the pressure a bit and it bottomed out all the time. Upgraded to a Fox DPX2 184mm x 44mm from the good old folks at worldwidecyclery.com.

Everything drops in without any mods.

I like this shock much better. Much better low speed small bump and holds its own on the rough stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Is the new shock a different tune than the old? Or just a whole new damper that can't be compared?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have been contemplating doing the exact same thing. In fact I just asked about adding a reservoir shock a few days ago in my 2018 review thread, but got no response.

I am assuming there is no issue with the reservoir hitting the frame at full compression
    Last edited by fiveo; 07-17-2018 at 01:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Is the new shock a different tune than the old? Or just a whole new damper that can't be compared?
    It's a different shock I would say.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have been contemplating doing the exact same thing. In fact I just asked about adding a reservoir shock a few days ago in my 2018 review thread, but got no response.

I am assuming there is no issue with the reservoir hitting the frame at full compression
    There's no issue with the reservoir hitting the frame at any point of travel. Plenty of clearance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Very interesting set up from the bike pic . Did you do the build?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Very interesting set up from the bike pic . Did you do the build?
    Yes, i did a custom build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have been wanting to go the same direction with my Jet. I have had the exact same experience that it rides too harsh and lowering sag makes it bottom out. Added a volume spacers with helped with bottom out but I donít get the plush I want.

Would it be possible to get any more travel out of a different sized shock?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have been wanting to go the same direction with my Jet. I have had the exact same experience that it rides too harsh and lowering sag makes it bottom out. Added a volume spacers with helped with bottom out but I donít get the plush I want.

Another forum member swapped his DPS out for a longer shock. If it were me, Iíd stick to the same length and stroke so geometry isnít altered. The DPX2 is nice and plush. Feels like a different bike.

Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Attachment 1205294

Was able to get the Fox DSP EVOL perfectly tuned LOL

Replaced it with a Manitou Mcleod 190x50, spacering it down to 186x46 instead of 184x44. This gives me about 5mm of extra travel and gets the bottom bracket up close to 13.9 inches with a 140 fork. Prefect BB height for me, making it nice not having to worry about pedal strikes climbing or pedaling through chunky/rocky terrain. Also be good if I pick up a set of 27.5+ wheels for it. It steepened the HA a tiny bit, probably at 67.3 now.

Mcleod is nice improvement over the FOX. Quite a bit smoother/plusher over small bumps and smoother through chunky/rocky terrain with the IPA setting wide open, does not have that stiffish/pedal platform feel of the FOX. Setting the IPA setting to 2 or closed gives it a nice pedal platform that still moves smoothly and is great for climbing or riding smoother trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I hope so. Just havenít been able to get the rear end sorted.

I think the Jet has so much potential as a do all bike

What wheels are you running?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

29er wheels.

mtbr member

No experience with the DPX2 (looks like a nice shock, probably better than DPS, but its expensive). Can tell you the Manitou Mcleod is a awesome inline shock and is working really well on my Jet. This is my third Mcleod, have had them on two other bikes and they have been great.

They don't make a 184x44 so you need to spacer down a 190x50 with spacers above top-out bumper (super easy, take off air can slide on spacers). I spacered mine down to 186x46 which gives about 5mm more rear travel, not a lot more but little bit counts with 120mm travel. This raised the bottom bracket a bit also (which I like), steepened the HA a tiny bit, like 67.3 now with 140 fork.

Very noticeable ride difference between the DPS and Mcleod. With Mcleod small bumps (1 inch) pretty much disappear, feels more planted and it's smoother through rough stuff/square edge hits. For climbing or riding smoother trails just add couple of clicks of IPA and get a great pedal platform that still feels great on small bumps and will still blow off on any big hits.

I might order a King can for mine here soon and set a half volume to get add more mid support and help get last bit of travel. But the standard can is working well for now.

Its definitely and upgrade/plusher ride over the DPS, it also great price and they have been proven to be very reliable.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...iABEgLrxPD_BwE

https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/mcleod-...hockcraft.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fiveo, let me know if you go for the DPX2. I'd like to hear another opinon as well. I just built up my Jet 9 last week and have the same opinion on the DPS. It's not bad, but if it could be better...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Will do. I have been riding this week up in Tahoe. The DPS does really well in non tech terrain. The riding up here isnít really rocky like my riding back home in AZ.

So Iím positive now that the DPS packs up in repeadative hits.

Ran into a guy today on a Devinchi Dejandgo He swapped out his DPS for DB and loves it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What is he possibility of bumping the rear travel to 125 or 130mm with a DPX2 then compensating up front with a 150mm air shaft?

10,000,000 Watts
    What is he possibility of bumping the rear travel to 125 or 130mm with a DPX2 then compensating up front with a 150mm air shaft?
    Just go to a rip! Jk. I put a 2019 X2 on my Rip and absolutely love it. Iím 195# and it has a great platform. The tube was about identical to the Float X.
    Mountain Bikers Do It Til They Bonk!

mtbr member
    So I live in UT and ride my Jet everywhere. I love the feel of the bike just beyond 30% sag, but do blow through the travel on decent size hits.

Would I miss the Jet if I pulled the trigger on a RIP9? I have mine build up pretty burly with 30mm rims and DHF/Aggressor 2.5ís. I do wish the RIP was a touch slacker and longer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I wonder how long to a new refresh. I bet the Jet and Rip get longer. And the Jet becomes a 130mm bike

If I wasnít getting into endurance races I would have went the RIP route. No reason not to. My understanding is it pedals just as good as the Jet. Some argued better and with very little weight penaltiy.
    Last edited by fiveo; 08-09-2018 at 06:31 AM.

mtbr member
    If I knew that change was coming I could be patient and wait. However, I have demoíd about everything out their and I may make a change if I can snag a great deal. I think the Ripmo or Orbea Rallon would be tempting. Still love the feel of my Jet so Iím worried about buyers/sellers remorse, but I guess I could always build another.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I made the switch for current Jet 9 to Rip 9. I'm not a racer. I like riding midwest singletrack (Minneapolis and Duluth) popping off things as much as possible and ride mellow-ish lines at bike parks here and there (small tables, drops etc.). The Rip was a great change of pace. I feel this bike can take much more of a beating. It allows me to ride pretty much everything with anyone, xc singletrack, jump lines, bike parks etc. The frame looks similar to the Jet, but it's much more beefed up in certain areas (i.e. that CVA rocker is huge!), adding a tiny bit more weight. I don't notice much of an increase in pedal bob, if at all, and efficiency, it can't be as good, it's slightly heavier, but not by much (what is the weight difference? 1/2 a pound?) The front fork at 160 is pretty awesome compared to 130. The rear 150 definitely allows me to "go bigger", as that 120 on the Jet seemed too small for me. 130+ seems to be ideal especially for me being 210lbs. The Jet paired with the DPX2 could be real interesting though. If you don't ride jump and bike parks, the Jet seems to make more sense to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Iím gonna go the DPX2 route and see much it changes the bike. Iím not holding out for a total transformation.

I donít think I will truly appreciate the Jet over the Rip till I do my first endurance race. So far the first year I have been riding very sporadically. And most of the riding I have been able to do has been trips to Sedona, Moab and Grand Junction All areas where the Rio would have been a better bike

Plus (no pun intended). This year has all been on plus tires. I really think the Jet is a better 29 bike. Iím making the switch to a pair of arch 30mm wheels this month

Ultimately the plan is to have two kits for the Jet. Trail mode DPX2 and Arch wheels in 2.4 to 2.6 tires And XC / endurance mode with the DPS and a set of Crest wheels with skinny tires.

But Iím pretty sure one day there will be a Rip in my garage.
    Last edited by fiveo; 08-09-2018 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Any new updates from the ones who swapped out the shock with a DPX2?

It's kind of an expensive upgrade.

Was it worth the cost?

Thanks,

Manny

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri Geminy View Post
    Any new updates from the ones who swapped out the shock with a DPX2?

It's kind of an expensive upgrade.

Was it worth the cost?

Thanks,

Manny

Iím happy with my upgrade. More plush with solid support throughout the travel.

If I didnít go this route, I would have probably opted for a longer travel bike. This will keep me satisfied for the next couple of years.