E-bikes from Niner 100, 120, 140 etc.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

E-bikes from Niner 100, 120, 140 etc.

Hello there

I would like to bring forth an idea of manufacturing e-bike frame and/or frame set, so that everyone can choose a motor, which they like the most and the power likewise.
    Alternatively the whole bike, but without a motor, so that one can choose something stronger than a regular 250W.

Cheers
    The magician

Formerly of Kent
    They don’t care about your silly eBike fantasies.

And, they won’t make a bike that users can’t ride in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    No, they will build a frame, motor would be your choice. 1000W is still legal in terrain, outside the streets! You will not ride a E-MTB as a road bike, will you?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield View Post
    No, they will build a frame, motor would be your choice. 1000W is still legal in terrain, outside the streets! You will not ride a E-MTB as a road bike, will you?
    1000w is absolutely not legal “in terrain”, meaning on any mountain bike trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    So, why not use just 250W out of it? Does every Porshe driver ride 200 miles per hour all the time?
    Again, I am asking for a frame or a frame set like Jet 120mm without a motor and let the motor stay out of this discussion.

The Hutch
    I predict we will see two ebikes this summer.

poser Administrator
    couldn't you just buy the intense bike? I mean it has very similar suspension, a shimano steps motor, and such or is it the swappability you are desiring?

I can't imagine that swappability is a thing for most people. There was a time you wanted 36" wheels for all bikes. I think this is another item that you are proposing that is shared by yourself as a desire. I would think you could just go with the watts that you want, then you are good. I can't imagine a scenario where you would want to swap out motors or ride a ebike without one. If it is a crank drive motor you couldn't swap it out anyway as you would need to have it there engaged with the crank. I would think that if you want a ebike and then a bike you would just have that. An ebike and a bike. Simple and way less weird than an ebike that you can remove all the bits easily and efficiently so you can ride it without power.

The only scenario I see that would work is maybe a rear wheel motor design where you swap out the rear wheel but those all have the limitations of not being as good as integrated systems.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield View Post
    Every motor has a different mount associated with it, good luck with that. I'm not even going to start with the fact that outside of the chinese motors, they won't sell you the batteries and electronics to go with them, it's all OEM. I'm not sure where you are, but 750w nominal is what's a legal ebike in the US regardless of where you ride it.

mtbr member
    Europe has 250W restriction if riden on the public roads, thus it means your motor mode mustn't allow any more power than 250W and 25 km/h. That said your theoretical motor can have 2 kw if it is limited to 250W, if you visit your private property you can use the full power. It is not forbidden to buy a stronger motor, it is just forbidden to use more power on public roads. There isn't a law, which will punish you due to sheer purchase&possession.
    All motors nominal 250 W can top up by 500 W if started up and pushed hard for a spin and they are still legal.
    I would like to finish the legality topic here because it is our responsibility how we ride and where we ride, whether we observe the speed limit in our car, motorcycle, whether we are honest and decent people and to people or we cheat everybody around. Let the God judge you!
    All I am asking is the most universal strong frame-set 157x12mm with internal bulky battery recess and universal mid drive for us to choose out from the aftermarket manufacturers.

ps. I do not want Niner to install any motor for me.