Dripping more weight on my Jet 9 RDO- Mtbr.com
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Dripping more weight on my Jet 9 RDO

My Niner Jet 9 RDO is 26 lbs with pedals. It is a blast and I ride it on everything. I like the triple for racing and would rather not buy a SID 120 at this point. I have no clue how guys drop their Niner 9 RDO's into 23 lbs.

My build:

Medium Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Fox F29 120
    King headset and bottom bracket
    Ergon grips
    Nine speed XTR crankset, pedals, cassette, chain.
    Formula Bianco Oro Puro brakes with 6" rotors
    Specialized Phenom arse hatchet (will change out to a WTB Devo saddle soon)
    Easton 90 carbon seat post.
    Easton 70 stem
    Rear wheel is DT Hugi 240 with Stan's Crest rims with Maxxis Icon set up tubeless
    Front wheel is Hope with Stan's Crest rims with Schwalbe Rocket Ron set up tubeless
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dripping more weight on my Jet 9 RDO-niner1.gif  

COTA member
    One gets to 23# by running SRAM XX (1 or 2 x 10) and a SID XX WC 100mm fork and skimpy tires on narrow carbon rims. Leave your J9 RDO alone and build up a light weight SS.

mtbr member
    Here is my original build at 24 lbs:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Build*Specs - Journal - Home

Since then I have gone as low as right to 23 lbs, but am back at 23 lbs 11 oz running on Ignitor tires for the winter. Dropping from 24lbs to 23lbs came when I switched to the SID XX WC which was exactly 1lbs less than the Reba.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Nice bike but I didn't like the ride with a 100mm fork--too twitchy. I am going to get a Racing Ralph for the rear with snakeskin because I hate torn out tires at mile 70 of a race I also like triple crank's for racing for those road sections.

A SS might be fun. I noticed Niner is dropping prices like crazy. I like the SIR 9 a lot and am considering one...I found a frame for sub $600 in my size. Also, Specialized has a SS complete bike called the Carve for $1,200.00 that looks fun and cheap.

Hope California is treating you well. We are freezing our tails up here.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    My Niner Jet 9 RDO is 26 lbs with pedals. It is a blast and I ride it on everything. I like the triple for racing and would rather not buy a SID 120 at this point. I have no clue how guys drop their Niner 9 RDO's into 23 lbs.

Removal of that there stop sign size big ring ya got there has got to be good for at least three pounds

Seriously though, I'd be doing XX1 if it were my bike and I had some dough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    26 lbs, really? My large is at 25.5 lb right now, and on paper it looks like you'd be lighter. Probably gotta go xx1/xx, or start shaving grams on perfectly good parts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You could drop some weight with a Race Face Next SL 2x10, comes in at 595 grams. This may be almost a pound you could save there, you go with carbon wheels too, maybe a lighter derailieur and a SRAM XX cassette. These items I mentioned are not cheap but may get you close to a high 23 pounds if not low 24's... Oh yeah the SID XX 120mm would also help you get there too, those older Fox forks like yours are so much more heavier. It is do-able to get to 23 but you'll pay for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    mine weight in at about 24.9 lbs
    with the following spec.
    to lower it further, i would need to change to Single chain front / Wheelset to have noticable drop in weight.
    Frame: Niner Jet 9 RDO size M
    Fork : Fox 29er FIT RLC 100mm
    Hubs: Chris King
    Spokes: Wheelsmith DB
    Rims: ZTR Crest
    Shifters: M980 XTR
    Derailleur front: M985 XTR E 2 type
    Derailleur rear: M985 XTR shadow plus
    Crank: M980 double Crankset 26/38
    BB: Parlee PF30 shimano Adapter
    Brakes : M980 XTR
    Rotos: Formula rotor 160mm F/R
    Cassette : M980 XTR 11-36
    Chain : KMC SL-10
    Handlebar : Easton EC70 Flat Carbon 685mm
    Grip:Richey Ergo Foam Grip
    Stem : Thomson 90 mm
    Seatpost : Thomson Elite ( cut to 350mm)
    Seatpost clamb : Niner
    Saddle : Selle Italia SLR XC Flow
    Tires : Conti RK
    Paddles: M980 XTR

aka bOb
    Jaybo that seems a little heavy, I'm running Arch's a 2.35 ss Nobby Nic and a 2.25 ss Racing Ralph and I'm at 25.75#. Oh did I mention that's with a dropper post as well. That fork might be some of your problem or your scale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    nobody is mentioning his bottle cage That's actually the only part I'm really in doubt about with my build at the moment Ideas ?: )

Oww, nice bike man
    If You want Plush, Buy a Couch...
    If you want to go Fast, Buy a 29er

mtbr member
    Hey is anyone still playing with weight reduction on their Jet 9 RDO?

mtbr member
    I just purchased a XT factory build. Weighing in at 23.4 lbs. Im hoping to get it close to 22lbs.
    Thinking about the 1x10 but only if I have to. Im finding little things here and there like rotors, seat post, stem, grips and peddles to lean down on....

Any other suggestions. Im looking into the one about the plastic under the saddle....

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by surfrjay View Post
    I just purchased a XT factory build. Weighing in at 23.4 lbs. Im hoping to get it close to 22lbs.
    Thinking about the 1x10 but only if I have to. Im finding little things here and there like rotors, seat post, stem, grips and peddles to lean down on....

Any other suggestions. Im looking into the one about the plastic under the saddle....
    Ship all of these & get some good carbon rims
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    yeah if 1500 -2k was a drop in a hat for me.... Im only a weekend warrior. A few oz is an obtainable goal with the reward of having a 22lb full sup 9er.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Light bike carbon rims are less than $200 ea ( plus the wheel rebuild ) & that will really make the bike.

I have had 2 Jet9 RDO's & they are that good that dropping Ib of the bike weight really won't change things much at all, If you want an upgrade that will really change the bike, Carbon rims is it.

yeah if 1500 -2k was a drop in a hat for me.... Im only a weekend warrior. A few oz is an obtainable goal with the reward of having a 22lb full sup 9er.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Light bike carbon rims are less than $200 ea ( plus the wheel rebuild ) & that will really make the bike.
    Any idea what the rebuilds cost? And where can I find a good strong carbon wheel @ 200? Like I said before I thought a good carbon wheel would cost me half of what I paid for the bike. ..
    And how do you know if a carbon wheel will hold up to my rooty/rocky terrains I ride?

mtbr member

Smile

Any idea what the rebuilds cost? And where can I find a good strong carbon wheel @ 200? Like I said before I thought a good carbon wheel would cost me half of what I paid for the bike. ..
    And how do you know if a carbon wheel will hold up to my rooty/rocky terrains I ride?
    Try this link. It will answer all your wheel questions. http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-componen...ms-673410.html
    Single Track Rules!

Members who have read this thread: 0