Does the new generation RIP 9 suck at climbing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

Does the new generation RIP 9 suck at climbing?

I ride a 2015 RIP 9, which has 125 MM of travel and climbs relatively well. I've been planning on getting an IBIS Ripley because I climb a lot and go down flowy trails, but I've been wanting to give the RIP 9 a fair shake. I can't find one to demo anywhere, and the reviews all seem to suggest that it is OK at climbing, but it is really more of a downhill bike. Anyone with first hand experience have any insight on that? Would it be noticeably harder to climb with than an SB130, Tallboy, or Ripley? Most reviews say that it isn't as good of a climber as even the Santa Cruz Hightower or Ibis Ripmo, which are more comparable in terms of travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Iíve been riding a 2018 RIP for about a year and a half and it climbs amazing, even with 160mm fork. The new RIP is apparently even better but I havenít ridden one. I just built a custom JET from a 2018 frame I found for cheap, and it obviously climbs better, but not by much. The RIP is an amazing machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chilling out
    I've a 2017 RIP9RDO, riding it since Sept 2016.

It's not an XC race machine, you will drop some in climb-a-bility vs an dedicated XC machine or hardtail, on the smooth stuff. Unless you firm up the shock.

But, I am not an XC race machine either.

The bike is not what is holding me back on climbs, and the behavior of the bike on anything outside pavement and gravel I don't think can be challenged much.

Oh, and I pretty much never ever flip the switch on the shock to firm it up.

My previous bike was a 2012 Yeti SB95, the RIP9 is better than that in every way, IMO;

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I spent a day on it (I own a current Jet) and can't recall that it was a poor climber, but I did feel overall that it was just too clunky. Was not spry in any sense of the word, and the advantages it provided going down weren't worth the penalty you paid in all other types of riding. Simply put, I hated it.

The Hutch
    The New Rip 9 rdo is an amazing climber for an enduro bike.
    follow me
    on FB @hutchsbicyclegarage
    on instagram @hutchsbicyclegarage
    and @robbhutch
    on twitter
    @RobertEHutch