CVA design questions- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

CVA design questions

Im not too familiar with CVA. Do you feel the shock moving through the pedals when you climb chunky technical trails? Does the shock stiffen up when climbing or remain active? How is braking affected when going downhill through technical terrain? Can anyone compare CVA to horst link or DW link designs?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rocks belong
    Best comparisons are to DW Link and Giant Maestro.

In my experience (Niner RIP9 150mm), the most recent iteration of CVA behaves like a plusher DW Link (comparing to Ibis' HD3 version of DW). Or, to the contrary, it feels like a snappier version of the Maestro suspension on a Giant Reign.

The HD3 was wonderful while pedalling, but it wasn't the plushest in the rough and rowdy stuff. That rough and rowdy stuff is where CVA felt better. Compared to the HD3 DW-Link, the RIP9's CVA tradeoff while pedaling (to me) was worth a reduced 'snapiness' while pedaling.

CVA is a really nice feeling suspension platform. Dare I say it's generally underrated.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

dmo
    mtbr member
    Thanks. Im going to see if I can demo one of the new Rip9s. It sounds like what im looking for. That or maybe a Knolly Fugitive. It will probably be harder to demo the knolly though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Please post up your opinion on the new RIP. Not a lot of feedback on it yet. For the exact same reason Hokie mentioned in waiting for Niner to bring back the WFO. If the donít Iíll oick up a gen2 160/150 Rip.

mtbr member
    IMO cva is much more efficient than the fsr bikes. Over the years I've had several specialized and titus bikes and my 1st niner was the OG jet with 135mm rear end and it pedaled so much better than any of the horst link bikes I had.

Only thing close to cva that I've owned was my yeti sb66. It wasn't nearly as plush but did pedal just as well.

But my rip can run a coil or an air shock and either works very well it just depends on what I want the bike to do. I have a hard tail for race days but the RIP with an air shock is good for XC (not great but comfy) and with a coil I have no issues taking it to a DH park for a weekend.

I've demo'd a ripmo, a firebird 29, a yeti sb6 and out of those "current" bikes I haven't ridden anything that makes me want to drop $3k and leave the rip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have no experience with Giant, but my Jet 9 RDO I felt was stiffer in small bumps than the Ripley LS and the Pivot Trail 429. They all climbed very very well but no matter how much I set it up, the RDO felt stiffer over small bumps and I didn't like that. I sold my Niner and honestly I was afraid of the cracked frames, bad warranty service and instability in the company. I would have to say the new Bronson pedals like a DW bike now with the plushness of the vpp. I was really blown away how SC has improved vpp to work so well in climbing. I would also have to mention Yeti SB130, probably the best in climbing and no pedal bob but plush down hill. But, I would not recommend them due to all the issues they are having with quality control: flexing rear triangles, cracked frames, bad customer service, and very very expensive prices,