• 04-19-2011
    bank5
    1 Attachment(s)
    Cracked RIP9 - Niner's warranty policy
    I just noticed that my 08 RIP 9 is completed cracked. Luckily my bike is still under the 2 year warranty. When I've contacted Niner in the past about buying a bike they were very quick to responded and very helpfully...hopefully I'll have the same experience.

Has anyone used Niner's warranty policy? How was it and how long did it take to get the new frame?

I'll respond with my experience. I'm guessing it will be a positive experience but am a bit nervous since it's a big item.
  • 04-19-2011
    david8613
    you have got nothing at all to worry about as long as your under warranty niner will take very good care you...
  • 04-19-2011
    bank5
    Quote:

Originally Posted by david8613
    you have got nothing at all to worry about as long as your under warranty niner will take very good care you...

Good to know. Niner has been quick to respond which I definitely appreciated. They said they would either send me a new rear triangle free of charge or I could upgrade the whole frame through my LBS for a small upgrade fee. I'm not sure how much a "small" upgrade fee is but I'm contact my local Niner dealers now and will probably go that route. I'll post back once I get more info.
  • 04-21-2011
    Dry Cownty Brewer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bank5
    Good to know. Niner has been quick to respond which I definitely appreciated. They said they would either send me a new rear triangle free of charge or I could upgrade the whole frame through my LBS for a small upgrade fee. I'm not sure how much a "small" upgrade fee is but I'm contact my local Niner dealers now and will probably go that route. I'll post back once I get more info.

Trust me, you will want to go with the new frame for a "small fee" route. This exact situation happened to me last month. My frame broke at the same location. I think you should be well taken care of. The worst part for me is that I am still waiting for my frame.
  • 04-21-2011
    bank5
    My LBS said it would be $450 for the new frame plus about $100 to switch everything over.

I'm planning on spending the $ to get the new frame. I might switch things over myself unless they include cables and draining the brakes.

Is everything (seat tube, fork) compatible from the '08 version to the latest version?
  • 04-21-2011
    jeffj
    You may need a different headset since the new RIP has a tapered headtube.
  • 04-21-2011
    david8613
    the fork should work with an adapter, my 2010 wfo9 came with one, not sure on the 2011... good excuse to upgrade to tapered fork! hehe upgrade bug is gonna bite! i went from a jet9 to a wfo9 and i planned on keeping most of my parts from my jet, bs! i ended up upgrading everything, the only thing i kept was my shifters and rear derailer!!!! but it was fun, first diy build... i learned alot, and you appreciate your bike more.
  • 04-22-2011
    bank5
    Quote:

Originally Posted by david8613
    the fork should work with an adapter, my 2010 wfo9 came with one, not sure on the 2011... good excuse to upgrade to tapered fork! hehe upgrade bug is gonna bite! i went from a jet9 to a wfo9 and i planned on keeping most of my parts from my jet, bs! i ended up upgrading everything, the only thing i kept was my shifters and rear derailer!!!! but it was fun, first diy build... i learned alot, and you appreciate your bike more.

Part of me doesn't want to upgrade because I've become attached to my bike but I'm absolutely sure that feeling will go away once the new RIP comes in :thumbsup: I wish I could hang onto my old damaged frame (hang it in the garage or something) but I think I'll need to send it back to Niner based on their warranty policy?

It's funny you mention upgrading because I've been thinking about upgrading to a Fox fork for a while. However, I would need to get a new front wheel too since my current hub is 20mm. I recently bought a Surly Karate Monkey so have been holding off a bit on the upgrade but now you have me thinking about how sweet a new a frame, fork and wheel set would be
  • 04-25-2011
    pete weber
    the upgrade is a no brainer
  • 04-25-2011
    CaveGiant
    +1 on get the upgrade