Bravo Zulu Niner!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Bravo Zulu Niner!

Lately I have read a few threads about people praising Niner on their excellent customer service. For anyone interested in buying a Niner or anyone who already has one or more, its always nice to be reassured on what a stand out company this is.

I bought an Air 9 Carbon frame and built it up as a single speed 3 months back. This was their generation II frame I believe? The one with aluminum inserts in the bottom bracket allowing for their EBB Biocentric II.

I had about 90 miles on this bike, went to clean it up one night and noticed a small crack on the rear of the seat stay and just below it a chip in the frame. I couldn't belive it! I only weight roughly 155 lbs with gear, but I do ride really hard and aggressive. Still, how could this happen I thought?

Bravo Zulu Niner!-10748791_10154828026960578_1724323864_n.jpgBravo Zulu Niner!-10752020_10154828026955578_1084471237_n.jpg

Was the seat collar tightened to the correct spec? Yes. Did I use carbon paste on the seat post? Yes. I even turned the seat collar around 180 degrees as per their manual states. I was devastated when I found the crack as I knew their current A9C doesn't allow for SS set up. I was really dreading contacting Niner because I didn't know what they would do for me. Would they tell me "Sorry bro, our current A9C frame won't take the Biocentric. Looks like you're going to be running gears on this A9C warranty bike."?

After debating on what to do, I sent some pictures to Niner and talked to them over the phone. I mentioned I had this set up as a SS. I didnt even ask my options and right away the guy said "Yup, looks like a crack. We will put you into a One 9 RDO as we currently do not offer the A9C for SS use. You are a medium, we have plenty of mediums. What color do you want?".

I was ecstatic! Could a company really care so much about their customers that they would upgrade them to a One 9 RDO without any extra compensation to cover the cost difference?? So I took my frame to my LBS the following Monday, 7 days later I got a call from my LBS saying Niner picked up the tab on shipping my old frame back and the new frame here and that they have an Atomic Blue One 9 RDO sitting there for me to take home.

Bravo Zulu Niner!-1118141942a.jpg

I did have to buy another wheelset as the One 9 has the 142X12 Maxle, (though I could have just bought a rear wheel) I wanted it to be matchy-matchy. I can't expect Niner to chip in with that.

I would just like to say thank you Niner, THAT is service!!

mtbr member
    You'll love your One9!