Boosting the travel on a Jet 9 ~ Should it be done?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Boosting the travel on a Jet 9 ~ Should it be done?

Thinking through the pros/cons of picking up a deal I've seen on a new Jet 9.
    My main question is if anyone is bumping the rear travel up on the Jet? I read a few posts about someone getting to 130/135, but it sounded a bit complex (offset bushings, angle sets etc). I'd like to be able to just install a longer shock,,,

My current bike is a Banshee Phantom which I love. I've slowly come to conclusions that if/when I get something new, it should meet 4 criteria:
    1. Lighter than my 33 pound Banshee (almost 8 lb frame)
    2. A bit longer rear travel (my Banshee is long-shocked and is about 120/140)
    3. Longer & slacker - just because everyone's doing it, and...
    4. Always looking for a great deal.

As far as I can tell, the stock Jet 9 only meets #s 1 and 4. So, I'm curious if it could get set up for longer travel without opening up a bunch of unintended geometric consequences.

I think I read that Niner says the Jet can take up to a 140mm fork... and up to 130mm rear travel. Did I imagine that last part? If it's possible, can it be as easy as just popping on a different shock with longer stroke?
    I already have a nice 140mm fork I could put on. If I could run it as 130R/140F, then it's starting to hit 3 of 4 marks for me. Actually, it's also slacker than the Banshee, it's just not longer.... so 3.5.

I think I could live with that!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I agree that the manitou solution is complicated. Iím not a fan of the DPS for trail riding. For XC yes. Multiple hits. No. You might consider improving the 120mm travel with just the Mcloed or the Fox DPX2. There is a post somewhere where the member says going with the DPX2 transformed the Jet.

I think If you want a 130/140 Jet. Id just get a 140/150 Rip. My problem with the Rip is Niner seems to have priced them about 1k over similar bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    I agree that the manitou solution is complicated. Iím not a fan of the DPS for trail riding. For XC yes. Multiple hits. No. You might consider improving the 120mm travel with just the Mcloed or the Fox DPX2. There is a post somewhere where the member says going with the DPX2 transformed the Jet.

I think If you want a 130/140 Jet. Id just get a 140/150 Rip. My problem with the Rip is Niner seems to have priced them about 1k over similar bikes.
    What size is the shock for the Jet? I'm having trouble finding those numbers online.

I already have a McLeod that's 190x50.
    Wouldn't life be great if I could just pop it right in?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    There stock so for the gen 2 jet is 184x44. I blew up the monarch that came on my jet and want in a position to buy a new shock but I had a 190x50 food vanilla rc from my previous bike that worked and put it on my jet so I could ride.

Things I noticed are that the jet works alright with a coil and that despite steepening the bike a bit the biggest geometry change I noticed was the rise in bb height.

I have a 2017 jet that was a setup as a plus bike so it came with the 140mm fork.

I have since put on a 184x44 dpx2. I'm not sure which I prefer.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theboomboomcars View Post
    There stock so for the gen 2 jet is 184x44. I blew up the monarch that came on my jet and want in a position to buy a new shock but I had a 190x50 food vanilla rc from my previous bike that worked and put it on my jet so I could ride.

Things I noticed are that the jet works alright with a coil and that despite steepening the bike a bit the biggest geometry change I noticed was the rise in bb height.

I have a 2017 jet that was a setup as a plus bike so it came with the 140mm fork.

I have since put on a 184x44 dpx2. I'm not sure which I prefer.

Interesting. Great to hear the 190x50 works. I also have a 140mm fork, and both 29 and 27.5 wheelsets to play with.

What do you think the 190x50 may have given you for available travel? Do you think it bumps it up from 120 to about 130.... And did you notice the difference?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I would be worried about how high the BB would doing that.

the Jet already has a pretty high BB.

so much so that I personally didnít like the a 140mm fork with 29ers on the bike. I had to bring it back down to 130mm.

I couldnít imagine a 140mm fork and longer shock on it...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I don't know what the leverage curve on the jet is, but when using the average it puts it about 136mm.

I have 2.5 wheelsets for my jet I have the 27.5+ wheels that came with the bike, a set of 29ers with 2.1in street tires on it and a 29er with a 2.6in butcher for a mullet setup. The bb never felt to high for me, but then again my previous bike was an Elsworth joker that had a high bb.

I can't do too much gnarly stuff anymore due to vertigo issues I now have, which is why I went with the jet over the rip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankS29 View Post
    I would be worried about how high the BB would doing that.

the Jet already has a pretty high BB.

so much so that I personally didnít like the a 140mm fork with 29ers on the bike. I had to bring it back down to 130mm.

I couldnít imagine a 140mm fork and longer shock on it...
    Hmm, well too high BB might be less than great. Niner doesn't list stock BB height so I can't compare to my current bike, which I also must have raised from stock. And I guess they don't have flip chips in the frame to adjust for wheel change sizes....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theboomboomcars View Post
    I don't know what the leverage curve on the jet is, but when using the average it puts it about 136mm.

I have 2.5 wheelsets for my jet I have the 27.5+ wheels that came with the bike, a set of 29ers with 2.1in street tires on it and a 29er with a 2.6in butcher for a mullet setup. The bb never felt to high for me, but then again my previous bike was an Elsworth joker that had a high bb.

I can't do too much gnarly stuff anymore due to vertigo issues I now have, which is why I went with the jet over the rip.

Okay, thanks for the response.

Anyways I asked Niner if a longer shock would work, and they poured water on the idea... in fact I was told "We are 100% against it". The rep went on to explain that it would void the warranty and potentially cause frame damage.

I guess I wouldn't expect them to say much else, but it does cool off my enthusiasm for playing with a Jet. No sense buying something new just to void the warranty, right?

I wonder why no manufacturers make frames that can take a couple/few sizes of shocks, so you can pick your travel from within a range. I know long-shocking does work in practice on some bikes, but no manufacturer that I know of endorses the practice. Fork range yes, shock range no. Why is that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by S​​usspect View Post
    Okay, thanks for the response.

Anyways I asked Niner if a longer shock would work, and they poured water on the idea... in fact I was told "We are 100% against it". The rep went on to explain that it would void the warranty and potentially cause frame damage.

I guess I wouldn't expect them to say much else, but it does cool off my enthusiasm for playing with a Jet. No sense buying something new just to void the warranty, right?

I wonder why no manufacturers make frames that can take a couple/few sizes of shocks, so you can pick your travel from within a range. I know long-shocking does work in practice on some bikes, but no manufacturer that I know of endorses the practice. Fork range yes, shock range no. Why is that?
    Because the leverage curves are complicated and when you move the linkages outside of the spec it can have a big effect on the ride quality and put stress in the wrong places.

There are some bikes that manufacturer slow multiple shock sizes on. My joker had mounts for both 190x50 and 165x38. But manufacturers will user any excuse they can to get out of warranty.

mtbr member
    I did the mod to the stock yari on my 2017, increasing the travel to 140, and swapped the 29" wheels to some 27.5s with big ol 2.8s With this set-up a little more BB height would be nice. I was also wondering about just adding a longer travel shock. hmmm
    This bike soaks up some pretty chunky trail for me as it is but I do miss the sensitivity of smaller diameter tires. Maybe increasing the rear travel would allow that?
    Thanks for bringing this up.