Becoming more impressed with One 9 RDO rideability- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Becoming more impressed with One 9 RDO rideability

Looking around online it is hard to find reviews on the One 9 RDO. Perhaps this is because its not an extremely popular bike due to the fact that you if you don't ride SS you would look to the Air 9 RDO. If you're looking to get the Air 9 RDO take a moment and consider the One 9 RDO. The One 9 does everything the Air 9 does plus it has an overly built BB shell that will take more punishment.

I used to run my One 9 a SS and really enjoyed it, however I recently switched it to a geared bike and am on cloud 9. I was riding strictly XC trails and would cringe anytime I hit a technical section. If I didn't do my part, the bike handled my mistake darn well. Many of the trails I ride my full squish on are half XC and half All Mountain/Trail riding. I was begging to ride the One 9 on these trails but was nervous about how it would handle the tough All Mtn. portions.

So I said to myself, "This bike has a 5 year warranty, why not beat the crap out of it. If it holds up fantastic, if not warranty it."

Lately I have been riding trails way outside of this bikes design comfort zone. Everything from rooty, rocky downhills at punishing speeds, blue square and some black diamond freeride trails, and large pump track style trails. A few words that sum up the One 9 on this terrain would be comfortable, inspiring, and confident.

If you're looking for a fun, fast carbon hardtail in a racing geometry, but also want something that can handle harsh trails in a non racing environment, Niner has produced a pretty good product here. I used to have my doubts on whether this bike could hold its own on trails outside the realm of XC riding/racing. I now have that answer.

Becoming more impressed with One 9 RDO rideability-0322151206a.jpg

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1988 View Post
    Looking around online it is hard to find reviews on the One 9 RDO. Perhaps this is because its not an extremely popular bike due to the fact that you if you don't ride SS you would look to the Air 9 RDO. If you're looking to get the Air 9 RDO take a moment and consider the One 9 RDO. The One 9 does everything the Air 9 does plus it has an overly built BB shell that will take more punishment.

I used to run my One 9 a SS and really enjoyed it, however I recently switched it to a geared bike and am on cloud 9. I was riding strictly XC trails and would cringe anytime I hit a technical section. If I didn't do my part, the bike handled my mistake darn well. Many of the trails I ride my full squish on are half XC and half All Mountain/Trail riding. I was begging to ride the One 9 on these trails but was nervous about how it would handle the tough All Mtn. portions.

So I said to myself, "This bike has a 5 year warranty, why not beat the crap out of it. If it holds up fantastic, if not warranty it."

Lately I have been riding trails way outside of this bikes design comfort zone. Everything from rooty, rocky downhills at punishing speeds, blue square and some black diamond freeride trails, and large pump track style trails. A few words that sum up the One 9 on this terrain would be comfortable, inspiring, and confident.

If you're looking for a fun, fast carbon hardtail in a racing geometry, but also want something that can handle harsh trails in a non racing environment, Niner has produced a pretty good product here. I used to have my doubts on whether this bike could hold its own on trails outside the realm of XC riding/racing. I now have that answer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0322151206a.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	982766
    Warranties generally stipulate "for intended use". However Niner have proven themselves very client focused and committed to doing the right thing.

You're bike looks super slick BTW.
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've got the older black aluminum version of the One 9 and I too am impressed at its ability to get me through just about anything. I recently switched to a shorter stem and while the steering and stability took a slight hit, I can now easily manual dips in the trail which is a whole lot of fun.

After riding the RIP 9 and getting used to my first dropper post... I'm ready to deal with the weight gain and put one on my One 9 too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X View Post
    Warranties generally stipulate "for intended use". However Niner have proven themselves very client focused and committed to doing the right thing.

You're bike looks super slick BTW.

Thank you.

And don't get me wrong here, my intent isn't to trash my bike because that's not what I am doing. I am just riding it really hard and pushing it beyond the tame, smooth sweeping, luscious rolling hilly trails that is normally thought of as XC riding.

The main reason for my post is to help others determine if the One 9 will be a suitable bike for them as I imagine there are other people who have trails that incorporate a wide array of ease and difficultly, leaving them to wonder if it might be too arduous for this "race" bike.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    I wish mine lasted more than 250 miles. I wish my A9C lasted more than 850 miles.

Atleast Niner is good with their warranty.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm on my 3rd One9 (Scandium>Carbon>Carbon) all warrantied and I have more than a year on my current bike.
    It's my favorite bike to ride and I'm really impressed with how they've dealt with all the quality issues.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1988 View Post
    Thank you.

And don't get me wrong here, my intent isn't to trash my bike because that's not what I am doing. I am just riding it really hard and pushing it beyond the tame, smooth sweeping, luscious rolling hilly trails that is normally thought of as XC riding.

The main reason for my post is to help others determine if the One 9 will be a suitable bike for them as I imagine there are other people who have trails that incorporate a wide array of ease and difficultly, leaving them to wonder if it might be too arduous for this "race" bike.
    Not sure where you live, but around here, unless you're getting serious air, it's XC. Rocky, root covered east coast XC.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What I wouldn't give for some smooth sweeping, luscious rolling hilly trails!