mtbr member

Anyone else having problems with the new EBB?

After I cracked my last niner frame, I got an '09 model with the new EBB (coupling design) from Niner (props to them for the quick replacement). However, I still get mad creeking...in fact I can simulate the creeking by squeezing the chain. I also can't hold chain tension worth a darn. After 15-25 miles, aka one ride, I'm slack and in drivetrain popcorn land. I thought this new EBB was supposed to be the cat's meow?

I've also tried tightening the single fixing bolt to the point of no return with a big ass hex wrench, where its torqued so hard I can't perform trail maintenance on the EBB with a standard multi-tool. Still get slippage.

Any thoughts? Am I going to have to teflon this EBB like the old style to get rid of the creeking? What is everyone else doing to prevent slippage? On the old style I finally kept tension by drilling into the EBB and using stainless bolts so the titanium heads don't strip. Unfortunately I can't do that here...Thanks all
    "The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error." -Frank Herbert

29er addict
    Pull the EBB and make sure it is dry. Mine had some grease seep down into it so I removed the grease and used some anti-seize instead. The shell should be nice and clean. Only had it creak one other time, removed, cleaned the inside of the shell with a little rubbing alcohol and good to go! As for the chain, is it new? I put a mark on the shell to see if it moves and it really doesn't so I chalk it up to chain stretch or wearing in the rear cog.

mtbr member
    Rear cog is a well used CK and the chain is not new. I'll give the alcohol a shot, good idea.

Now that I think about it I'll also take my micrometer to the bottom bracket shell while I'm down there to see if its ovalized. Would that cause slipping?
    "The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error." -Frank Herbert

29er addict
    An ovalized shell, probably would in other applications, but with the new EBB, it cinches up to the outside of the shell, not the inside. It will take a few times to get it right, mine is creak free now, and yours will soon be too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    any update on your (or any other users out there) bio-centric issues?

i am looking at having a custom ti frame built with the bio-centric unit and i am trying to figure out if it's the real deal.

thx.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    My Bio-Centric EBB is still slipping. I have re-installed it twice, being meticulous about degreasing, torque etc. I'm gonna have one more try using more torque and then it's back to the old one.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have two niner sir, my 2008 i did faced the EBB shell and its creeking, i will put back the old one that didn't do any problems.
    My 2009 is faced from the factory and the EBB also creeking.
    I put teflon and its stop to creek and no slipping, i runnig like that 3 weeks but i waiting that the guys in niner will find a batter solution.

DAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNN
    Jan 2004

I hate the new EBB...............

Having ridden both old and new I would take the old over the new any day of the week. My original issue with the new Bio-E was with it slipping so I cranked the torque to 180in-lbs from the recommended 130 in-lbs and slipping went away and no creaking. My main issue now is changing out cogs cause I am running XTR 960 cranks and the preload on the cranks prevent the EBB from moving freely so I have to take off the crank arm cause the EBB doesn't move. You figure it would just rotate in BB shell once loosened but it sticks, I am assuming just a bad reaming/facing job at factory. How ever you look at it it's not as easy as the old EBB were I would change cogs, rotate EBB, tighten bolts to spec and off I went (5 minutes tops). Now its a 20-30 minute job and very frustrating especially if I have to take cranks off completely cause the EBB is stuck and I need a better grip to break free and rotate. For reference the old EBB was on an 08 SIR9 and the new EBB is on a 09 ONE9 (unable to switch back to the old EBB). This is just my situation so others may have had better success or just as bad. Later!

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the Teflon tip. I'll try that too.

Agreed with the adjustment issue. That's my experience too (although I didn't find the old EBB that easy to adjust).
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had creaking and slipping issues when I tried to use the Biocentric EBB on an older SIR9. I took it off and went back to the old version, which works just fine. Personally, I think it is a bad design - even if you have no creaking or slipping, it is difficult to adjust due to crank preload. I didn't like having to position an allen wrench up against the crank for leverage and I certainly don't carry full length wrenches on the trail. Even with the leverage it still didn't like to turn (Note that the crank preload was perfect - the crank bearings rotated smooth as silk with no play).

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I've got the old EBB and intend sticking with it. Grease has never been in the EBB. From close to new I gave it the teflon treatment and never had a creak since. (12 months) Even the XT BB has never creaked. I think this is because the BB has a lot of air space around it meaning water and gunk doesnt get into it.
    I did have some slippage issues early on, and once or twice one of the grub screws loosened off. I use a Ritchey torque key for tensioning and go about 1/8th of a turn past the 'click'. Hasn't slackened off in about 4 months riding which was when I last swapped rear cogs.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NumbNutts
    How ever you look at it it's not as easy as the old EBB were I would change cogs, rotate EBB, tighten bolts to spec and off I went (5 minutes tops). Now its a 20-30 minute job and very frustrating especially if I have to take cranks off completely cause the EBB is stuck and I need a better grip to break free and rotate.
    I agree. Its more difficult to adjust chain tension on the new design vs old, and on the trail I don't think possible now unless you carry a large allen key with enough leverage and have the time to strip your cranks off. I can't get proper chain tension with the cranks on because the EBB is difficult to grasp and rotate.

I will be riding the single this weekend (been doing lots of geared riding only lately) and I'll report back about my tweaks.

And He was Not
    Not liking the new Biocentric.. I think I have expirienced ever issue mentioned
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by shdown75
    An ovalized shell, probably would in other applications, but with the new EBB, it cinches up to the outside of the shell, not the inside. It will take a few times to get it right, mine is creak free now, and yours will soon be too.
    Hope you are right I am not trusting the new EBB. Stays quite for awhile then I need to play with it again.

Dean

Pedal Damnit
    Mine's been noisy and slipping, so I degreased it yesterday and am gonna give it a spin tonight. Gonna see how it works, but i definitely liked the old system better.

What's the Teflon fix?
    Lost in Texaslation

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Locust
    Mine's been noisy and slipping, so I degreased it yesterday and am gonna give it a spin tonight. Gonna see how it works, but i definitely liked the old system better.

What's the Teflon fix?
    The teflon fix is for the old style EBBs...wrap the EBB in PTFE (plumbers tape) before putting it in the shell.

My new style EBB on my old SIR9 has been working just fine *most* of the time. I don't have the bottom bracket clamping/adjusting problem (FSA Megaexo BB). Every once in a while it will slip a tiny bit. I have no idea why this happens only occasionally (we're talking like 1/16th of an inch) and not more often. And it always slips clockwise looking at it from the non-drive side which is a little counter-intuitive to me, anyway. Maybe it only happens when I slam the bash ring into something...hmmm that'd make some sense...'need to pay more attention to see if there is a correlation.
    Last edited by Fogerson; 06-24-2009 at 06:22 AM.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Just give me a sliders. After years on my first generation One 9, I've decided even if I didn't have to take the ebb out and clean and lube (at least monthly, sometimes more) to keep it quiet, I would rather move the rear wheel around than have my cranks change position with every adjustment of the chain.

Keep on Rockin...
    I was going to go with a One 9 for my next SS most because this new EBB was suppose to be the end-all-be-all. So much for that.

Maybe Niner will step up to the plate and chime in.

Was torn between the Selma and Niner. Years back has a Salsa SS with the old Busnell EBB and never had an issue. (Favorite is still horizontal drops-Surly style). Maybe will need to change my mind over to a Selma.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SyT
    Just give me a sliders. After years on my first generation One 9, I've decided even if I didn't have to take the ebb out and clean and lube (at least monthly, sometimes more) to keep it quiet, I would rather move the rear wheel around than have my cranks change position with every adjustment of the chain.
    after thousands of miles on 2 EBB bikes with set-screw EBB's, and zero creaks and zero maintainenance issues, it is ironic now to have a slider SS in my quiver that creaks pretty regularly.

i was interested in the new niner EBB but i must say it's been racking up some disappointing reviews.

mtbr member

satisfied customer here

Maybe for fear of jinxing ourselves have the silent but satisfied customers failed to respond here. That or we're out enjoying it.
    Paired my Bio-EBB with a square taper BB torqued to specs and have had a brief and silent time since. About a month post install and nary an issue. Averaging 70 miles/week with a fair amount of climbing/hammering out of the saddle.
    I've had to adjust for chain tension a couple of times and find it no more challenging than the first gen EBB. I use a hard plastic cylindrical tire lever to keep from marring my metal surfaces.
    Best of luck to those still fiddling with it...it can be done.
    Cheers,
    Matt

mtbr member
    I've been pleased with mine also. Two months and quiet so far. Slipped once, didn't creak, but slipped allot. I've got an 07 Sir9, 44 tooth WI, and 119mm phil wood BB. Very little clearance when EBB is in certain positions and sometimes none at all. Took a chunk of pain t off. Price I pay for wanting shortest spindle. It's been raining for a few weeks and I had BB submerged at least once. Still less than 1,000 miles on drivetrain, all road, last half fixed. I've adjusted chain tension a few times. Two different freewheels, a cog, and a tomicog. All have been awesome. I can fit my fingers through the WI chainring, and move EBB with both hands, not easy, but moves. After it slipped, I tightened EBB down with a cheap spin doctors wrench and torqued it when I got home. Crank Bros multi tool would not reach bolt.

mtbr member
    With all new product launches we are going to have a few issues. We have had a few reports of slipping and creaking with the Bio-Centric EBB. Note this is a super small percentage compared to the amount of units that have been delivered. We did have our Niner Team riders put hundreds of miles on this system before we went to market and we did make changes as we discovered issues. Alas when hundreds of people begin to try out a new product some hidden issues can come up.

We have found applying antisieze to both surfaces cures most the creaking cases we have gotten so far. This is a good idea even if you are not having a creaking issue in that the two surfaces can bond over time if zero maintenance is done over a long period of time.

We are currently looking into the few reports of slipping. At the moment customers who have wrapped the EBB with a few wraps of “plummers tape” have had good results.
    We are working on our own tests and it may take us a few weeks till we come up with a definitive conclusion and fix for these few customers.

We welcome your feedback but hope you also understand that the voices here are of just customers that have had an issue but there are many hundreds that have the new Bio-Centric EBB with out issue.

Chris & Steve
    Niner Bikes

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I reinstalled mine (for the third time). This time I wrapped the inner flanges with a few layers of teflon tape and torqued to about 190 in lbs instead of the indicated 130. So far it is silent and seems to be holding chain tension.

Keep on Rockin...

Good...

Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes
    With all new product launches we are going to have a few issues. We have had a few reports of slipping and creaking with the Bio-Centric EBB. Note this is a super small percentage compared to the amount of units that have been delivered. We did have our Niner Team riders put hundreds of miles on this system before we went to market and we did make changes as we discovered issues. Alas when hundreds of people begin to try out a new product some hidden issues can come up.

We have found applying antisieze to both surfaces cures most the creaking cases we have gotten so far. This is a good idea even if you are not having a creaking issue in that the two surfaces can bond over time if zero maintenance is done over a long period of time.

We are currently looking into the few reports of slipping. At the moment customers who have wrapped the EBB with a few wraps of “plummers tape” have had good results.
    We are working on our own tests and it may take us a few weeks till we come up with a definitive conclusion and fix for these few customers.

We welcome your feedback but hope you also understand that the voices here are of just customers that have had an issue but there are many hundreds that have the new Bio-Centric EBB with out issue.

Chris & Steve
    Niner Bikes
    Always great to hear the company coming out to help address problems that might exist. Goes a long way towards feeling confident about making a purchase.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes

Chris & Steve
    Niner Bikes
    I am confused about where to put the anti-sieze. Just reinstalled mine for the 2nd time, not getting much slipping, but I am still getting creaking. Can you please clarify where to put the anti-sieze?

Thanks,
    Brian

Out there
    Aug 2006
    My EBB is now holding solid and completely silent. Basically use the Niner instructions but increase the torque and wrap the parts of the EBB that insert inside the shell with PTFE plumber's tape. Deffo an improvement over the old one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

ptfe plummers tape

+1 on this fix too... as my badly creaking/slipping ebb is now totally quiet and rock solid... for me the key was to thoroughly degrease/ clean surfaces and wrap the plummers tape 3-4 layers thick... and most importantly... wrap the tape 3-4 layers both over the flats of the ebb unit and over the actual edge. In my situation, the creak was occuring from movement between the side of the frame BB shell and the inside edge/lip of the EBB unit so it was key to get the tape to cover that lip and take up the gap in that connection area as well. The first time when I tried the tape fix I wrapped just the flats of the EBB and that solved my slipping proplem but the creak persisted. When everything was all torqued down and tensioned, I used a wooden toothpick to trim off the protruding excess white tape.

Members who have read this thread: 0