Anyone on a 2018 RKT?- Mtbr.com
    I like turtles

Anyone on a 2018 RKT?

Is anyone here on the 2018 iteration of the RKT? If you buy the complete, looks like they now have a Fox 34/120mm fork stock and no more remote for the shock. Looking to pick up a 5-star and just wanted to get some impressions. Mainly a XC guy here (I guess that's what you call riding your mtb on normal trails nowadays) and coming off many years on a HT..figured this would be more than enough bike.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I've got the 2017. It does not have the remote either. I've just always left it in the Open position and haven't felt the need to buy one after market. Maybe if one was racing they'd perhaps save a second or two over the course? I may be more interested if it simultaneously controlled both the front and back, but again I've never felt it was essential.

I also have the 100mm 32 rather than the 120mm 34. I don't seem to lack any travel for the kind of riding I do though I do regularly bottom out from how I have the sag set. I'm fairly light so the larger stanchions are probably not necessary. I suppose this saves me a tiny bit of weight.

The head tube angle is relatively steep with the 100mm fork which perhaps contributes to the ultra nimble nature I get in tight situations and decent tracking while climbing. As such, it does feel a bit nose heavy when descending at times. I would imagine the 120mm may help shift your position rearward.

Another difference is the handlebar width. I'm running 710's as opposed to the 780's now offered.

I like turtles
    Good info. Yes...i run 720s now and cringe at the thought of 780s but will give it a go and trim down if necessary. Coming off a HT with a 71 set HA I don't see an issue with a 70. Same as you don't see where I would want a remote lockout....just reach down and hit the switch on a road section if you feel the need.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The catch is I can't switch the lever position without the remote so definitely no reaching down for the lever. I'm pretty sure mine only works with the remote.

Love the bike still. Going on 9 months or so. Don't hesitate to ask any more questions you may have.

mtbr member
    I had a 2017, 100mm Fox 32 SC. I ended up installing a RS1 fork off my Procal.

Mine had the rear lockout. Loved it. Mid year on the 17's they changed the travel to 120. I called Niner about a few things before the change it and they said everyone at Niner that owns a RKT changes the travel to 120mm. few months later the mid year 17's got updated with the 120mm and went away with the Fox 32 SC due to the travel.

I rode my Niner on everything. the geo to me felt slacker than the geo chart Niner has on it.

My buddy owns the RKT now. He said when the RSI needs rebuilt he is upping it to 120mm though
    Too Many .

I like turtles
    I believe the the new ones have a lever on the rear shock. Yes...120 seems cool bit with only 90 out back is a little mismatched.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    TiGeo, you and I seem to be coming off, and narrowing it down to the same bikes.

I like turtles
    Yep...So I am finally jumping on the FS bandwagon after many years on HTs my most recent a 2012 Spec SJ aluminum HT, 80mm of travel up front (totally enduro). The Niner seemed liked a logical choice as what is considered “XC” now is really what “downhill” was in the mid-90s so I figured I’d be right at home. The RKT has a 120 fork and 90 out back with a (gasp) 70 degree HA so for some, this means unrideable/endoing in the parking lot….but for me coming off a 71 degree HA HT, this should feel pretty normal. My SJ HT weighs in at 22.5 and from what I can gather, I should be at 24 even with the 5-star including acrutaments so perfect. I should appreciate not feeling like I got thrown down a flight of stairs each morning after I rode the SJ for more than 20 miles. I had a FS bike in 1995… a Specy SJ FSR….I was I guess what you would call a FS pioneer back then. It had 2” of travel out back and maybe 2” in the front. It was a sweet bike and weighed around 27 pounds with 26” wheels. The RKT should be more than enough bike to ride the trails around my area and handle my 1 trip to the mountains a year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Have you settled on the Niner? I'm still on the fence. Between this, the Trek Top Fuel and the Scott Spark myself. I'm kinda leaning towards the Top Fuel as I might build a frame and throw a 34/120 on it and open up its geo a little more. But the Jet 9 is looking like possibility too. I had one of the last 26er Top Fuels and it felt like it had more travel than it did. I think due to the full floater tail end.

Decisions decisions....

I like turtles
    Yeah I'm all in. Considered them all.

mtbr member
    Take it for what it's worth for ya.

I almost bought the Trek top fuel instead of the Niner. Reason's. I'm 5'11" 33" inseam and 74" wing span. I fit right at the 18.5/19.5 bike size for Trek. The Top Fuel's feel little, I mean really little to me. The bike is only a 100/100 travel bike.

The Niner was a 100/90 travel bike when I got mine this year, Now its 120/90. Not 100% sure that 10mm will really be a deal breaker.
    The Niner climbed better to me over the Top Fuel. It was very plush ( both bikes were) the RKT felt like it had more travel in the rear than it really did. In open mode it went down the hill very fast and plush. In Med ( trail), were I kept it 90% of the time, climbing good and had good efficient pedaling on the flats. In closed or firm mode. It climbed like a HT.

I am looking into getting another RKT or maybe a Top Fuel. I need to go borrow a few friends Top Fuels in 19.5 and 21.5 before I pull the plug.
    Too Many .

I like turtles
    The challenge I face each time I buy a new bike is size. I'm short and ride small frames and no shop is going to stock high end bikes in a variety of frames to try so I buy sight unseen. It is what it is and I wish I could go out and test ride some bikes but the reality is doing your homework should and has netted good results for me. I mean...how cam anyone not like riding a $6k bike? Hahaha. I could do the demo thing but thebtine involved is just not worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What I really love about Niner is that I fit right in a Small size. At 5' 6.5" it's also impossible for me to walk into a bike shop and size up.

I like turtles
    I'm right at 5'6" and just based it on their sizing chart. Food to know it fits you well.

mtbr member
    I bought a 2017 RKT this past July. 5 Star build, 120 mm Fox 34, NINER carbon hoops, X01 Eagle, with Remote Shock. I am coming off of over 3 years on multiple JET 9 RDO's, until the latest iteration.
    An in depth comparison of the two bikes is coming, but here is my $.02. I really was reluctant to take a step back in rear travel and the HTA sounded steep which I was concerned would limit the versatility of this bike. That was until I rode it. This bike is really fast in the front end at line adjustments, but I would never call it twitchy. I have never liked remote lockouts, but I absolutely love this thing. Locked out, this thing climbs like a HT. Basically, this bike is every bit as capable as the previous Jet RDO's that I have owned, but it is more responsive, agile, nimble, and thus....faster.
    In fact, I finished the LT 100 on the RKT with only 2 rides on the bike prior to the race. Since then, I've been stacking up the PR's.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

I like turtles
    Sounds good. I believe the lock out is still there, just on the shock and not remote. This goes to the whole fact that as a group, we have somewhat lost our minds that you need a 150mm slacked out bike to ride trails which is just not the case.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Sounds good. I believe the lock out is still there, just on the shock and not remote. This goes to the whole fact that as a group, we have somewhat lost our minds that you need a 150mm slacked out bike to ride trails which is just not the case.
    Ostensibly, you need that to get 'rad' which is just not the case.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Cownty Brewer View Post
    I bought a 2017 RKT this past July. 5 Star build, 120 mm Fox 34, NINER carbon hoops, X01 Eagle, with Remote Shock. I am coming off of over 3 years on multiple JET 9 RDO's, until the latest iteration.
    An in depth comparison of the two bikes is coming, but here is my $.02. I really was reluctant to take a step back in rear travel and the HTA sounded steep which I was concerned would limit the versatility of this bike. That was until I rode it. This bike is really fast in the front end at line adjustments, but I would never call it twitchy. I have never liked remote lockouts, but I absolutely love this thing. Locked out, this thing climbs like a HT. Basically, this bike is every bit as capable as the previous Jet RDO's that I have owned, but it is more responsive, agile, nimble, and thus....faster.
    In fact, I finished the LT 100 on the RKT with only 2 rides on the bike prior to the race. Since then, I've been stacking up the PR's.
    Looking forward to your in-depth comparison of the two Niners!

mtbr member
    Dry county brewer- looking forward to your comparo too!

I am possibly going fro a first generation (2012) Jet RDO to a new RKT ( or, blasphemy, Tallboy or Epic or 429 or...) and wanting to hear some feedback from those with saddle time on both of these Niners.

To chime in on forks, my RDO's 32 120 are too flexy for me and I'm intrigued about going to 34 120's on my new RKT ride. And I'm a bit skeerd about losing some rear travel. Thinking the RTK 34 120 might be kind of like a reverse "mullet"- all party up front, all business out back LOL