Anybody route an internal dropper on their jet9 RDO?- Mtbr.com
    Not the fake Jay Leno

Anybody route an internal dropper on their jet9 RDO?

Currently I have the stock KS Dropzone 125 externally routed dropper on my 2017 Jet9 RDO. Iím looking to get a longer dropper and Iím thinking about going internal routing. The newer Jet9s have easier cable routing, which the 2017 frames didnít have. Has anybody done this upgrade? Iíve taken the plastic covers off the bottom of the frame. I think it should be doable. Looking for any tips or advice if youíve done this. TIA!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Start at the seat tube, the only tricky part is the bend around the bb, it's a little tight there but once you get it around that because getting up the down tube is pretty easy.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

Chilling out
    FWIW, I split the difference on my RIP9.

I switched to a 150mm KS LEV DX, which has the external/fixed cable mount point, and routed the cable down behind the seat tube through the upper link to the same port the rear-d cable comes out, and internal from there to the head of the bike.

Easy peasy setup and maintenance and only housing exposed is adjacent to rear-d housing jump to the rear triangle.

I just didn't want to fuss with getting housing past the BB and liked the easy attach/detach of the KS LEV DX cable port.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Thanks guys! I bought a OneUp (internally routed) and Iím going to give that a go.

mtbr member
    I have internally routed my One Up dropper post on my 2017 Jet9. It's not easy but doable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This must be why the mechanics at my shop say Niners are pia to work on

Not the fake Jay Leno
    HG
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri Geminy View Post
    I have internally routed my One Up dropper post on my 2017 Jet9. It's not easy but doable.
    I just installed my OneUp last nite. I got er done, but it was a curse fest. I canít say that I would recommend this task for anyone but the overly determined. I fished the cable down the seat tube and under the BB to the opening on the bottom of the down tube. I then ran a spare cable from the grommet opening at the top of the down tube down to the opening at the bottom. I joined the two pieces of cable with a small screw that I had cut the head off of. I was then able to pull the new cable up thru the down tube and thru the grommet opening.

After getting everything installed, Iím not real crazy about the actuation at the lever. The post works fine, but lever actuation feels weird. The OneUp dropper actually needs the cable to be able to move a few mm in the frame. The cable is so tight in the frame, that I Think it is not allowing smooth throw. OneUp actually came out with a v 2.1 actuator for certain Santa Cruz bikes where there are tight spaces in the frame. I think I might give that other actuator a try as I think these Niner frames have the same issue. Thereís some more info in this forum:

https://forums.mtbr.com/components/oneup-dropper-v2-1101344.html

mtbr member
    What I found was that you can't push the OneUp dropper post all the way down. It will activate the lever. It needs a few mm of clearance from the frame. Not sure if that is what you are experiencing.
    I didn't have the same problem with my PNW dropper post.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri Geminy View Post
    What I found was that you can't push the OneUp dropper post all the way down. It will activate the lever. It needs a few mm of clearance from the frame. Not sure if that is what you are experiencing.
    I didn't have the same problem with my PNW dropper post.
    I have a couple of inches of the post extended from the seat tube, so Iím not having this issue. I went for a couple of rides this weekend and the post worked fine. The lever actuation does not feel as smooth as my other KS posts, but it works just fine. The extra 25 mm of drop is very nice!

mtbr member
    I just did the same on a 2017 frame. Seemed not too difficult.

1) Remove bashguard on bottom of down tube to expose opening into frame.

2) Run housing down the down tube. Pull housing out of frame opening a good distance (12 to 18 inches or so). Don't try to run housing straight through downtube, over bottom bracket, directly into seat tube. The direct angle makes it a challenge to get it up the seat tube.

3) Run housing that is sticking out of down tube openng a good 12 - 18 inches or so before routing it back into the frame, over the bottom bracket, and fishing it up the seat tube.

4) Adjust the housing back and forth from both ends to get the right length to the dropper and to the lever. Cut and feed the cable.