Anybody rockiní a mullet on their Jet9 or RIP9?- Mtbr.com
    Not the fake Jay Leno

Anybody rockiní a mullet on their Jet9 or RIP9?

Mullet meaning 29er front and 27.5+ out back. I have a 2017 jet9 RDO. I had the parts, so I gave it a try. I have 29x2.6 Rekon up front and 27.5x2.8 Rekon+ on the back. The bottom bracket only dropped about 1/2Ē vs. full 29. I ordered my bike as a 27.5+, so the BB height in mullet mode is actually higher than full + mode. I found it worked surprisingly well, especially in the loose rocky stuff. Iím definitely sticking with this combo for some more testing. Itís a fun setup! Edit: Wheelsets I used are American Classic Wide Lightning 29er and stock Stanís Baron S1 27.5+ that came on the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -e754a031-18e2-4595-be6c-91930854f6b6.jpg  

Last edited by Chinman; 09-09-2019 at 06:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've got a 27.5+ jet and have been considering doing this as well. Looking forward to seeing your testing results.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

g=9.764m/s2
    Itís brilliant on Jeffsy as well!

-a2a78e93-40a2-4238-adbe-ce7e8ab53c12.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    I just straight up say that I ride a Motobecane, a BD bike, and acknowledge I consider it to be the Harbor Freight of bikes

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Quote Originally Posted by theboomboomcars View Post
    I've got a 27.5+ jet and have been considering doing this as well. Looking forward to seeing your testing results.
    So I just finished my second ride. I really like the setup. I moved my saddle forward a tad, and that solved the only issue that I found on the first ride, which was the tendency for the front end to wander a bit on the climbs. I am definitely faster and more confident on the rocky descents and climbs as well. As others have found, you do appear to get the best of both wheel sizes. You get the rollover of the 29 front and traction of the big rear tire. What I found today is that I could just tractor up stuff slowly, like I do on my fat bike, and where Iíd lose traction on the 29x 2.4 Ardent. If you are riding where you could use more traction, I think this is a great setup. I have also found no difference in pedal strikes vs. the full 29er setup, and it is definitely improved over the 27.5+ front. Tight turns feels more nimble as well. This is staying on my bike! The Jet9 is really a great bike.
    Last edited by Chinman; 09-09-2019 at 07:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Just going to chime my way in here.. is it a good idea to try out the mullet setup on my giant reign 2015? It's a 27.5 which for me, isnt that great (im 6' tall and love the feel of 29ers) but I'm only 16 so I can't afford a whole new bike at the moment but I'd have to get a 29" fork which already I was going to need when upgrading my frameset next year. But is it worth it to try out a mullet on my current setup or should I just ask a friend if he'd let me demo his 29" wheel and fork on it? I am pretty set on my decision of upgrading to the new giant reign 2020 frameset so I'd need a new wheelset, fork, and not sure about the bb but since I would get a new wheelset and fork, I might as well just get a front wheel and fork now while I'm still saving up for the frame and then run the mullet or should I ask a friend? Ok sorry I'm just saying the same thing over again I just dont know. Might just ask a friend. Okay well I answered my own question. And I'm just gonna chime my way back out of here.. have fun! Sorry but yeah might as well send this in instead of deleting it all and feeling like I wasted 15mins of my night. Ok bye. Sorry to be "that kid"!!

Not the fake Jay Leno
    This is a fun thing to try if you have the parts for a bike that is already 29/27.5+ capable. Would I buy a fork and a wheel just to try out on a bike thatís not 29/27.5+ ready? Nope.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    This is a fun thing to try if you have the parts for a bike that is already 29/27.5+ capable. Would I buy a fork and a wheel just to try out on a bike thatís not 29/27.5+ ready? Nope.
    What about spending the time to try out a friend's fork and wheel on yours? Do you think it's worth it just to see?

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Teasdale View Post
    What about spending the time to try out a friend's fork and wheel on yours? Do you think it's worth it just to see?
    No, I would not take my friendís bike apart to try this, but thatís just me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I might have to give this a try in Moab in two weeks. I was gonna bring along my 27.5+ wheels as back up. Also running a 2.6 Reckon on my 29 wheels. I might report back. Though traction is never really a problem in Moab.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    I might have to give this a try in Moab in two weeks. I was gonna bring along my 27.5+ wheels as back up. Also running a 2.6 Reckon on my 29 wheels. I might report back. Though traction is never really a problem in Moab.
    Yeah, I donít expect this will be much help at Moab. Extra cushion on descents might be better, but climbing will likely feel more ďdraggyĒ. Iíd like to hear how it works out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    First year I had the bike I did Moab with plus wheels. Hated it. Went back next year and used 29 2.6. Totally different bike. Loved it.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    First year I had the bike I did Moab with plus wheels. Hated it. Went back next year and used 29 2.6. Totally different bike. Loved it.
    So what tire do you have on the rear? Based on the way my Ardent 29x2.4 looked, I didnít think a 2.6 would fit. Iím running 29x2.6 Rekon on the front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Rekon front and back on Arch wheels Not ideal width but it works for me. Not sure them would fit with wider rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just built a 29er front wheel to do a mullet on my jet.

-mullet-bike.jpg

Took it for a first ride this morning and it was great.

Put a Specialized Butcher 29x2.6 on the front, running a recon 28.5x2.8 on the back. Turns on the climbs are better, descending is better.

Sorry it's an after the ride photo, it's hard to do trail side photos with my daughter on the ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    How is descending better?

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I do like it better descending in loose over hard conditions. The wider footprint gives more traction than a skinnier 29 er tire. The bike seems more nimble in switchback descents, too. There may be some placebo effect here. However, Iíve been riding the setup for about a month, and I donít see myself switching back any time soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It feels more planted, it could be going from a recon on the front to the butcher, or a combination of the bigger tire and better cornering knobs.

I have a set of 29er arch wheels with some 29x2.1 vee 10s that I use for pavement, but I haven't done a set of high volume 29ers on it. I liked the 27.5+ combo, except the recon on the front was pretty bad on loose over hard in the corners. I got a great deal on the 29er front wheel, so thought I'd try to mullet the bike.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I know this thread is a few months old, but I just wanted to mention that I recently started running mullet on my 2019 jet 9 nx1. I am running a 29 in. Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the front and a Maxxis Rekon 2.8 on the back. The Rekon actually measures closer to a 2.7 than a 2.8... The bottom bracket didn't drop enough to cause me any problems. The bike handles so much better this way. I always thought the Jet 9 29 cornered like a damned freight train (just my experience) and being a big guy, the fact that it rides somewhat high compounded the problem of my own personal high center of gravity.

With the smaller diameter wheel in the back, it accelerates faster now. It also corners a lot better. Its just more fun to ride.

Just my two cents.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Where and what type or riding are you doing. My old plus wheelset has been sitting around. Just not convinced it will help where I ride. I agree cornering is slow

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Quote Originally Posted by FatManJohnson View Post
    I know this thread is a few months old, but I just wanted to mention that I recently started running mullet on my 2019 jet 9 nx1. I am running a 29 in. Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the front and a Maxxis Rekon 2.8 on the back. The Rekon actually measures closer to a 2.7 than a 2.8... The bottom bracket didn't drop enough to cause me any problems. The bike handles so much better this way. I always thought the Jet 9 29 cornered like a damned freight train (just my experience) and being a big guy, the fact that it rides somewhat high compounded the problem of my own personal high center of gravity.

With the smaller diameter wheel in the back, it accelerates faster now. It also corners a lot better. Its just more fun to ride.

Just my two cents.
    Your experience is mine exactly! Itís amazing how such a small change in diameter of the rear tire can make the bike feel more nimble in the turns. You should try a Rekon 29 x 2.6 up front. I think youíll like it even more, not for nimbleness, but for monstertruckability.
    Last edited by Chinman; 12-25-2019 at 09:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Where and what type or riding are you doing. My old plus wheelset has been sitting around. Just not convinced it will help where I ride. I agree cornering is slow
    I'm in the midwest, in a town where the trails are pretty basic. It's mostly clay singletrack with some roots and rocks. It can get gnarly, and it can get fast, but seldom for very long. My take is that the cornering benefits of having the smaller wheel in back would be effective on most types of tracks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Your experience is mine exactly! Itís amazing how such a small change in diameter of the rear tire can make the bike feel more nimble in the turns. You should try a Rekon 29 x 2.6 up front. I think youíll like it even more, not for nimbleness, but for monstertruckability.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind if I get a bit more money to upgrade. Christmas is killing me right now.