Any experience with carbon seat rails?- Mtbr.com
    db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Any experience with carbon seat rails?

Niner content - its for my jet 9
    Been riding a evoke rxl saddle ( works for me)
    The new model only comes as carbon rails - where
    as the one I currently have is Ti rails.
    If I wish to continue with this saddle for another bike I'm forced to
    Use carbon rails - any long term concerns? Not a huge carbon fan and I also
    tend to keep stuff for a while
    On the other hand I'll keep looking for a 2010 bontrager evoke rxl 138mm width

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've used the silverado with carbon rails for a while and its been fine. I guess not thinking about it is a good compliment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Phenom Carbon

I have been using a Specialized Phenom Carbon with a Niner RDO post for about two months and no problems. I weigh about 185 when geared up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Experience with using one personally? No.

I'm often tempted by their weight and general bling factor but then I remember that pretty much everyone I know who has had one (Fizik primarily) eventually snapped the rails from the shell in crashes. They seem to hold up to riding quite well it's the crashing that does them in. Crashing in the middle of nowhere in a long race -- something not all that uncommon -- and being left without a seat really seems unappealing to me. This exact scenario happened to my girlfriend (Fizik saddle.)

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So..
    If I decide to move to a carbon rail - it seems that saddle manufactures have different measurements for the carbon rails - some are different (example Bontrager 7x10) - some are same.
    Since I'm using a Ritchey WCS single bolt (bolts from the side) and the carbon rail adapter is 7x9.8 - my first guess its not going to work.
    If I were to move to another post that clamps top and bottom (Niner, Thomson or similar) would this allow me to run almost any saddle - carbon rail or not?

Thanks

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    PlanB..

For me - it's not the bling - the fact that after the time and expense I finally found a saddle that fits.

Now wanting to put the same saddle on another bike (let alone finding a crash spare) - they (Bontrager) have changed the saddle from Ti rails to carbon - so I either anti up for a new post and saddle or start the search for another saddle (what a pain) any ideas about other saddles that are similar in shape and width (138mm width) might as well start looking...

Members who have read this thread: 0