Air 9 RDO Size?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Air 9 RDO Size?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Air 9 RDO Size?

I'm considering the above bike.
    I'm 5'8" with 32" Inseam.
    I've always road Med 17.5 in Trek & Scott.

Any examples of height/inseam/size?

Niner's Geometry Chart is saying 424 Reach/617 Stack in medium and 406/607 in Small.
    My present bike (Scott Scale Pro Med) is 404/617,,,I'm running a short riser stem for comfort (I'm 56 years young). I can't see riding with 20mm more reach unless there is something i'm missing in the sizing equation.

Yes, I'll reach out to see if someone has a medium to try out.

kgraham11
    Hey, another 56'er here! At 5'8", you and I are in that glorious "between sizes" group for some frames, the A9RDO being one. I have a 30" inseam and went with the small for more maneuverability.

I have about 220 of a 400mm post showing so there's plenty of height adjustment remaining. And running a 90mm stem but have a 70 on standby as I firm up the fit.

You could go either way, I'd think and base it on your trails. More open, fast, flowy? Medium for stability. Tight, twisty (like mine)? Small for the go-kart feel. :-)

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by twobigwheels View Post
    I'm considering the above bike.
    I'm 5'8" with 32" Inseam.
    I've always road Med 17.5 in Trek & Scott.

Any examples of height/inseam/size?

Niner's Geometry Chart is saying 424 Reach/617 Stack in medium and 406/607 in Small.
    My present bike (Scott Scale Pro Med) is 404/617,,,I'm running a short riser stem for comfort (I'm 56 years young). I can't see riding with 20mm more reach unless there is something i'm missing in the sizing equation.

Yes, I'll reach out to see if someone has a medium to try out.

STA is one thing that can significantly skew the look of longer Reach numbers on a geometry chart. That and shorter stems on modern bikes. How does the STA on your old bike compare to the AIR9?

I think Medium is the correct size for you, 424 is not long by modern standards, many other brands are 450-460mm in Medium. That doesn't change the fact that a medium is still a medium.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam and ride a medium Air 9 RDO. I like the way it fits me.

slow
    I'm 5'10" and 32" inseam and mine is a medium. It was fine for me with a 90mm stem and setback Thomson seatpost. It feels a tiny bit small with the dropper since the seat clamp is inline with the post instead of behind it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    STA is one thing that can significantly skew the look of longer Reach numbers on a geometry chart. That and shorter stems on modern bikes. How does the STA on your old bike compare to the AIR9?

I think Medium is the correct size for you, 424 is not long by modern standards, many other brands are 450-460mm in Medium. That doesn't change the fact that a medium is still a medium.
    STA does not affect reach, you measure your setback as the distance of the saddle tip behind center of the bottom bracket shell.