Air 9 Carbon Frame Damage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Air 9 Carbon Frame Damage

The below pictures are the result of a poorly timed pass at Iceman this weekend. As best as I can tell a stick kicked up in the rear derailleur and the hanger didn't break off as quickly as I would hope. It went into the rear wheel and bent the rim and cracked some spokes as well. So at the very least I need a new RD, wheel work and perhaps frame Is this a full on crack?

I'm the original owner and have receipts. I bought the frame from Jenson, sent them a warranty claim email with pictures yesterday. What do you think Niner will do for my 4 year old Air 9 carbon frame?

Air 9 Carbon Frame Damage-23167955_10214710475705173_6842642268813435741_n.jpg
    Air 9 Carbon Frame Damage-23231591_10214710475785175_2991077952066719814_n.jpg
    Air 9 Carbon Frame Damage-23319326_10214710475865177_2455800805530596924_n.jpg
    Air 9 Carbon Frame Damage-23376494_10214711073400115_2845415994541827921_n.jpg

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    That's really unfortunate the derailleur hanger didn't save you in this case.

I'm pretty sure you can't claim warranty for damage caused by something getting jammed in the rear wheel.

Probably best you can hope for is a "crash replacement" discount.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure exactly what happened, I went off the trail to pass someone and something jumped up. I'm pretty sure it was a stick into the derailleur, then the derailleur into the wheel. I understand the derailleur and wheel damage, but I don't think a failing hanger should be able to sheer off part of the drop out.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what happened, I went off the trail to pass someone and something jumped up. I'm pretty sure it was a stick into the derailleur, then the derailleur into the wheel. I understand the derailleur and wheel damage, but I don't think a failing hanger should be able to sheer off part of the drop out.
    You are absolutely right, the hanger should have been the sacrificial part rather than allowing damage to the frame before it broke.

I suspect though that Niner's position will be that it can't guaranteed to do that in all situations and that ultimately this is accidental damage not covered by warranty.

I really hope I am wrong and they help you out!

mtbr member
    Ouch!! Bummer, that hurts. Good luck, hope you find a remedy. What size frame is that?

mtbr member
    It's been 48 hours and Jensen hasn't replied to my email to their warranty department, not a good start. I'd expect at least an acknowledgement

*edit

Jensen got back to me and I have to pack up and ship the frame back, I was hoping Niner/Jensen could have made a decision based upon the 10 pictures I sent them.
    Last edited by tomcho; 11-08-2017 at 04:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My thoughts are that you are SOL. Will be interesting to see.

mtbr member
    Response from Jenson, they should have the frame Thursday.

"Typical Niner warranty turn around is 14 business days. We file the claim with Niner, submit any information they ask us, they responsd whether they will be sending a replacement frame or deny warranty. In your case im positive its covered under warranty"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I wonder how a Jenson employee can be positive of what Niner will do? I hope they do warranty the frame, that would be great.

mtbr member
    He was the warranty manager and I sent him all the pictures. I'm assuming with the volume of Niner Jenson does he has a good idea of what Niner will cover and what they won't. We shall see.

mtbr member
    I truly wish you the best of luck.
    Will be interested to see how you are treated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Tracking

mtbr member
    Any updates?

mtbr member
    Just heard back last night from Niner via Jenson and I'm not happy. I'm fighting this and I'm likely done with Niner either way.

"After further review we will not be able to cover this frame under warranty for the following reasons:
    ē The derailleur show clear signs of abrasion, like from contact with the ground, or an outside object.
    ē The der hanger performed as it is supposed to, yet the frame still split, likely this was caused because of a severe impact. "
    They did however offer a crash replacement Air 9 carbon 12x142mm rear spacing frame in slate grey/black for the dealer price of $1070, Niner went ahead and supplied a photo of the frame they're offering. I do apologize that it took this long, and was not covered under their warranty guidelines, however each brand has their own set of policies that they must follow. Let me know if this is a path you'd like to pursue and I'll go ahead and inform the rep over at Niner today.

My reply
    Neither of their assumptions are accurate.
    -The derailleur was scratched years ago on a completely different bike. It likely was from the ground but thatís irrelevant as it wasnít on this bike when this incident happened.
    -The derailleur hanger clearly didnít perform as itís supposed to, as in the course of breaking it cracked the frame. I would say it actually performed exactly opposite as itís supposed to.

There was no crash involved in this incident it was trail debris in the derailleur and the hanger didnít break as intended. The frame should not crack before a derailleur hanger breaks.

What year is that frame? That color scheme doesnít match anything Iíve seen. I also donít have a warm and fuzzy feeling dropping $1100 on another Niner product after they filed chapter 11.

mtbr member
    It seems like they are treating you fairly, although I would have expected the frame to be cheaper. If I was in your situation and I wanted their replacement offer, I'd see if they could also throw in a 12x142 rear wheel since the new frame doesn't appear to be compatible with your old hub.

mtbr member
    If anything Niner stated was accurate I might be inclined to agree with you. The issue is there was no crash, impact or anything of the like. The derailleur hanger didn't break until after the frame had already cracked. Neither the hanger or frame performed as designed.

This happened on a dirt/sand fire road. IMO the Niner warranty is basically worthless.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Clearly there was some damage. But my son had an Air 9 Carbon that split from the drop out up the seat stay in basically the same spot.
    So maybe that's a week point in the frame.
    Air 9 Carbon Frame Damage-image001.jpg

mtbr member
    Niner doesn't have a 5 year warranty....they offer a 5 year opinion.

EAT MORE GRIME
    that is a design defect right there. weak to begin with

best bet to save trouble is see if carbon repair dudes can fix it. otherwise
    get out the jbweld and a spool of layup and wrap and mummify that
    area with a combo of jbweld and tight wrapping, and 2 days later grind it down to shape

battle repair
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WP Local View Post
    Niner doesn't have a 5 year warranty....they offer a 5 year opinion.
    I'm starting to agree with you. Perhaps I could see their point if I was bombing downhill and crashed out. This was cross country dirt fire road. There was no crash of any sort. Once the derailleur hanger finally broke I was dead in the water an walked 3 miles. No chance a frame should fail from a twig or something jumping up into the derailleur. Unless this is made right this is my 3rd and last Niner.

SS Pusher Man
    I have found that Niner is good with warranty issues.....itís the dealers that are the weak link. I had a legitimate warranty issue with an EMD years back. 1st dealer(where I purchased) blew me off like there was no issue. Sent email to Niner CS with pics, they responded with ďthat is d definitely not right, but you gotta is park through the dealerĒ.

So I went to 2nd dealer and they claimed there was nothing wrong with it at first. Until I told them what Niner said then they were a little more helpful....but seemed like it was like pulling teeth to ge them to see it.

In the end, they replaced the frame, but like I said working through the dealers was horrible.....and I was the warranty guy in a shop I worked for, so I know how things should be handled.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    I'm glad it worked out for you, I bought my frame from Jensen and I believe they are doing all they can. Upon receiving my pictures and frame they even told me they are nearly positive Niner would cover the damage. It wasn't until Niner received the frame that they decided there had to be a big crash. The stress crack further up this thread in the same spot shows this is a frame issue.

mtbr member
    i figured I should come back and post again, as typically people only post bad information on threads like this. After a lot of back and forth and me commenting on a Niner FB post Niner has approved my claim. Below is the email I received from Jenson.

Niner just sent me a response and they did a re-evaluation on your claim and went ahead and got it approved, they sent a new frame and we received it Friday last week. So I will be getting it ready to go out the door to you today, and you should have it shortly.

Thank you for your patience and I apologize for the delay

They've definitely kept a customer!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Awesome!

Glad this worked out in the end. Regardless of what some of the detractors say, I am hoping that Niner has turned a corner on some of their CS / Warranty issues of late.

mtbr member
    New replacement frame arrived. Can't wait to build her up.

Air 9 Carbon Frame Damage-dtnc5b7.jpg" width="549">
    Last edited by tomcho; 01-31-2018 at 10:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
    New replacement frame arrived. Can't wait to build her up.

Glad everything worked out for you, post some pics when you get it built up

mtbr member
    I got the frame built up, I took the replacement frame as a chance to make some upgrades. Stans Arch MK3 wheels and made the bike a 1x. Absolute Black 34T oval chainring. Sunrace CSMX8 cassette and new 11 speed shifter.

Air 9 Carbon Frame Damage-27337169_10215427924880954_3759824394972316308_n.jpg