A9C CYA Creaking Badly- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17

    A9C CYA Creaking Badly

    Anyone got a fix? My bike shop has tried dry, lubed, and the Niner recommended pipe joint compound when installing the inserts. So far the best fix was the pipe joint compound but that only gave me about 10 miles before the creak started to come back. I've put two more rides on it since and it's rediculously loud now. This is the threaded insert with a CK BB and Shimano XT cranks. Any help here would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    26
    I ride a SIR9 rigid SS at 225+ and in the beginning it started creaking on me, i tried wrapping it with the tape they suggest and the pipe compound and still I had the creak. Then I bought a can of carbo grip and sprayed the $hit out the inside shell and the ebb and it has fixed my creaking\slipping issues, try it/ i promiss you will not be disappointed. I have a A9C frame and fork ordered so let us know how it worked...

  3. #3
    recent ss convert
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19
    I also had issues with the creaking on my One 9. The pipe joint compound worked for me. I had it oozing out the bottom hole in my bottom bracket as directed by Niner. I let it set for about a day and a half. I readjusted the tension a few days later and have had no creaks since I did it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    42
    After my first 25 mile ride on my new A9C, the cya started to back out a few mm. Took it to the shop and my mechanic used teflon tape to hopefully keep it in place. I am a little skeptical on this fix and hope it is not an ongoing problem. Can you run a ebb and still use threaded bb cups for sram xx??

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Niner Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,182
    s4tom3 -

    It sounds like you are using the SRAM threaded GXP bottom bracket with threaded CYA cups. This is not the issue that the OP is having but it is serious enough that I'll log onto mtbr at 10:30pm on a friday night. The threaded CYA cups are not compatible with threaded GXP bottom brackets due to the design of the floating bearing system that the GXP bottom brackets use. For your setup you will want to use the pressfit GXP bottom bracket and the pressfit92 CYA cups. This setup will not allow the cups to come out as you have described. Teflon tape will not hold in the CYA cups. If any of this does not make sense please have your shop call me on monday. You should not continue to ride your bike with this setup until you have the pressfit92 CYA cups.

    To the OP -
    I am sorry that you are not having good results with the plumbers putty. That usually works really well, I use it on one of my frames because I think its easier to install than the teflon tape. As 1gearjunky mentioned. the carbo grip will probably take care of your situation and can be sourced pretty easily by your shop. You or your shop can call me on monday if you need any help finding or installing the carbo grip.

    Eric
    1877NINERXC


    EDIT: I first said plumbers putty. The correct product is pipe joint compound. Its a teflon based lubricant designed for metal to metal threaded pipes. It works really well in the EBB because it stays around a bit better and its easier to get in the right places during the install.
    Last edited by Niner Bikes; 07-18-2011 at 09:05 AM.
    .........

    Peace,
    Niner Bikes

    Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    s4tom3 -

    To the OP -
    I am sorry that you are not having good results with the plumbers putty. That usually works really well, I use it on one of my frames because I think its easier to install than the teflon tape. As 1gearjunky mentioned. the carbo grip will probably take care of your situation and can be sourced pretty easily by your shop. You or your shop can call me on monday if you need any help finding or installing the carbo grip.

    Eric
    1877NINERXC
    Just to clarify. I'm running my A9C geared with the threaded CYA insert. The one that gets pressed into the frame and accepts external cups. Not running the EBB.
    I just removed the inserts, cleaned them up, and relubed with the pipe joint compound and reinstalled. Hopefully this will get me through tomorrows race without issue.

    Eric...plumbers putty and pipe joint compound are two totally different things. Your tech told my shop pipe joint compound. I was there when he did and made sure that's what he said because i found it odd. Please confirm which item is recommended.

    Thanks,

    Joe

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    42
    Eric, thanks for taking the time to respond so quickly about my cya issue. This type of great customer interaction is what makes a great bike company even greater. It is all about customer service. I think my Niner experience is going to be a great once I get past this set up issue. Thanks for taking such an active role in this Niner community!!!

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by PTB66 View Post

    Eric...plumbers putty and pipe joint compound are two totally different things. Your tech told my shop pipe joint compound. I was there when he did and made sure that's what he said because i found it odd. Please confirm which item is recommended.

    Thanks,

    Joe
    Hi Joe,

    It's the Oatey Great White Pipe Joint Compound with Teflon you want, it comes in the tube.

    Getting plumbers putty in there would be tough.

    Cheers,

    Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    111
    ...
    Last edited by pdelbusto; 11-21-2011 at 08:00 PM.

  10. #10
    COTA member
    Reputation: Dry Side's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    971
    Just to clarify, I did get confirmation from Niner that a Truvativ GXP BB can be used without issue in the Niner EBB for single speed applications. The Niner EBB is compatible with the CYA BB system. Planning to run an SRAM X7 GXP crank with a HBC spiderless chain ring.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2FewDaysOnTrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    217

    GXP with SS EBB works....

    If using the EBB then just follow the instructions. I run the GXP BB with the EBB on my SS Air 9 Carbon with NO problems. Bottom line, follow the instructions. Surface the face of the flanges with a nice flat sanding block and 220 grit sandpaper careful not to scratch that beautiful frame! My cups had a slight amount of gel-coat / epoxy on the face so I sanded it off and made sure it was nice and flat. Place the teflon plumbers tape on the EBB and insert into the cups at about the right angle. You don't want to be twisting 180 degrees with the plumbers tape on and getting it all cattywampus. Insert the bolt after greasing slightly and tighten it a little. Install the BB and Cranks, add chain, adjust the tension through the chanring/spider on the drive side and torque the 6mm EBB bolt to EXACTLY the right specifications printed on the EBB. If you dont' have a torque wrench you need to buy one! Ride the heck out of your niner for hundreds of miles without a single creak afterward!
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

  12. #12
    COTA member
    Reputation: Dry Side's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    971
    I know very old thread, but for those of you with Niners very first carbon bike. From 2012 - 2018 I ran mine Air 9 Carbon as a single speed. Had no issues with the first and second generation CYA EBB.

    Decided to to try the Air 9 Carbon with gears. Like the original Niner Jet 9 RDO, the Air 9 Carbon is a great candidate for Di2 electronic shifting (no cables). I installed XT Di2 1x11. I removed the CYA EBB and installed a CYA Threaded BB. I kept using my SRAM X0 crankset and SRAM Black Box GXP ceramic BB.

    So far so good, but from reading Niners comment above about SRAM GXP not being compatible with the CYA Threaded BB makes me wonder if I will have problems. Seems like just the tension of SRAM XO crankset spindle would prevent any part of this BB set from working loose. The CYA Threaded bottom bracket went in snug with a Park Tools press.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    I know very old thread, but for those of you with Niners very first carbon bike. From 2012 - 2018 I ran mine Air 9 Carbon as a single speed. Had no issues with the first and second generation CYA EBB.

    Decided to to try the Air 9 Carbon with gears. Like the original Niner Jet 9 RDO, the Air 9 Carbon is a great candidate for Di2 electronic shifting (no cables). I installed XT Di2 1x11. I removed the CYA EBB and installed a CYA Threaded BB. I kept using my SRAM X0 crankset and SRAM Black Box GXP ceramic BB.

    So far so good, but from reading Niners comment above about SRAM GXP not being compatible with the CYA Threaded BB makes me wonder if I will have problems. Seems like just the tension of SRAM XO crankset spindle would prevent any part of this BB set from working loose. The CYA Threaded bottom bracket went in snug with a Park Tools press.
    Fun story. That bb will come out and destroy your frame. It's due to how the gxp system works. It might not happen right away but I promise that it will happen.

  14. #14
    COTA member
    Reputation: Dry Side's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    971
    >> That bb will come out and destroy your frame. <<

    Thanks for the info. Is there a threaded non SRAM BB that is compatible with SRAM X0 GXP crank / Threaded CYA that is not floating? Or is my best option to stick with the EBB2 even though I don't need the eccentric rotation?

Similar Threads

  1. Fuel EX 9.0 Creaking Badly
    By fourbeer in forum Trek
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 09:13 AM
  2. Crank Creaking badly..
    By Mike 87T in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-12-2007, 06:32 AM
  3. I need Some Help BADLY
    By Mauisoljah96790 in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2005, 01:57 PM
  4. I need help badly....
    By Lumbee1 in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-24-2005, 02:08 PM
  5. Just need some advice.....Badly
    By swampluv in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-16-2005, 02:30 PM

Members who have read this thread: 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.