27+ for my Jet 9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

27+ for my Jet 9

I have decided to set up some 27+ wheels for my Jet 9 Here is where I am at. Constructive criticism welcome and appreciated.

The 27.5+ Set Up on the 2017 Jet 9 1 Star build.
    Stans Sentry mk3 hoops
    Shimano XT hubs
    WTB 2.8 Ranger on front
    WTB 2.8 Trailblazer on rear
    SRAM PG 1130 11-42

I know I am taking a chance with the cheap hubs. I am not 100% sure I will love this set up so I am keeping the build as budget friendly as possible.

Niner recommends adding travel to the Yari forks. I might do this but I want to ride it first. I ride mostly around Austin and have not had a pedal strike problem so...gonna chance it.

I would love to be able to swap back and forth with the stock 29' set up.

Has anyone done this??? What am I missing?

THANKS!!!

mtbr member
    Hold the phone! I found a good deal on some Nobby Nics.

So...same plan with the Nics

mtbr member
    A riding friend really likes his NN in the 2.8.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Thanks! "fun" is the word that seems to keep coming up in my research. I am pretty excited.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I didnít like my plus set up with a 130mm fork. Too many pedal strikes. But I ride in rocky AZ. Changed the airshaft to 140mm. and made a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Five0 - Yeah, this is a concern. Do you have the Yari fork? I suspect I will need to do this but I am going to ride it first and see.
    Was there a "kit" for the travel change or did you get the bits a-la-kart?
    Thanks for the reply

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I have a Fox 34. For Fox products its a simple swap of a 50 dollar air shaft. The 34 can go from 120mm to 150mm. Not sure about RS products. I would venture itís the same

mtbr member
    Thanks Five0 I am sure you are right. Thanks. My wheels are done. Tires in in a couple days. I should know with a couple trips to the local trails how soon I will need to extend them.
    I read somewhere that the effective diameter of anything under a 2.8 will drop the bottom bracket too much. Thinking about it; Kinda would't mind more travel anyway. There are more enduro trails popping up around here every time I turn around. Although, at 49 I should probably not go to them

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    You'd be surprised what the Jet can handle with 140mm up front.

Getting ready to try 140mm upfront and 292.6 tires in Moab soon. Last year I had 27.5+ 2.8

Pedal strikes galore and too steep of HA for my liking.

Upgraded to 140mm as soon as i got back Changed the bike totally

Iím 48 and still send it. Although crashes hurt more.

mtbr member
    Good info. Budget permitting, I will build up a pair of 29" Stans to "hot swap" when needed. I can do that now with the stock Niner wheels but they are kinda heavy. You have pretty much convinced me to go ahead with the fork mod... probably save'n me some frustration. I appreciate the feedback. I will document my change up and post here.
    ~~Cheers

mtbr member

Got em on

I finally got around to putting my new wheels on. I lost about 1/4" of height on the bottom bracket. Might end up being a bit more when on it with the lower tire pressures. I have the 140mm travel air spring on order but plan on riding it a bit before adding more travel.

27+ for my Jet 9-jet-w-27.jpg

Right away I notice the steering is more snappy. I am looking forward to getting it on some proper trail in a couple days!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Trust me. You will appreciate the 140 air shaft. Especially if you ride in rocky terrain. It will slow the steering down a tad

Curious on how it rides compared to 29 wheels

Looks good!

mtbr member
    Hit some of my local trails today...

Pros and cons of wheel change;

Pros

Right away I noticed more responsive steering and was floating over rock gardens that I had to be more cautious on before. Fun is the word that comes to mind.
    I am still running with 130mm fork travel. I had some pedal strikes but not too bad. That being said, I have the bits to convert to 140mm and will, soon enough.
    The whole bike felt more lively and...fun.

Cons

As many have said. the Nobby Nic's on front is less than stellar. I felt a little slipage in the corners and will probably do something else at some point.
    We have some baseball sized limestone rocks. the 2.8s seem to get up on em and roll off to the side where the 2.4 29ers would pinch them out. both scenarios suck but...there it is, a con I guess.

All n all, this wheel set seems to work really well. The bike is still heavy but pedals well and is fun to ride.

Next step? Fork travel

mtbr member

Update

I managed to get in some quality trail time with the 2.8 set up here in Austin. The terrain on the Greenbelt is pretty technical with lots of jagged limestone rocks. Loose and attached to the earth.
    The plus size NNs were right at home here. I was climbing up n over rock gardens that I struggled with previously and the drops were just plain fun!

I have not added the 10mm to my forks yet but it is obvious that I need to. The pedal strikes happened and I felt like I coulden't get far enough behind my seat on some of the rocky drops.

If you are riding a stock Jet I would highly recommend this upgrade.
    C
    27+ for my Jet 9-20181102_104241-s.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Interesting . I went the complete opposite direction. Had my Jet now almost exactly one year. I decided to go plus wheels. Thinking it would make the Jet more capable as a trail bike. Plan was to get 29 wheels later for XC races. I got one XC ride in the bike before heading to Moab Short story. Hated the bike on that trip. Bumoing to 140mm fork improved the bike some. But was never really happy with the bike.

Just last week I finnaly got a pair of 29 Arch wheels. Again I was only able to do one short XC ride before heading back to Moab.

In Moab the 29 wheels rocked! Completely transformed the Jet. Not knocking the plus set up. Just pointing out ď horses for coursesĒ. And personally riding preferences vary.

Iím gonna start a one year review thread with more details on the plus to 29 journey.

mtbr member
    Hey Five0,I think your findings make sense. I think it would be silly to not have a 29" wheel set ready to go for XC trails. I kept the stock 29s ready to go; rotors, cassette and all, Those same Arch wheels are on my short list too... some day.
    How is the extra travel (140) with the 29 set-up? What tires did you go with?
    Thanks for the feed back.
    Cheers,
    C

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    140mm fork in Moab conditions worked great. I still have the 130mm air shaft for marathon races.

I went with Rekon 2.6 that actually measured out to 2.5

mtbr member
    Sound amazing. I suspect I will be a copy cat...as budget allows

Dave

Rip9 275+

I have a 2013 RIP9 alloy with a Pike 140 since week two. When I bought some Enduroworx carbon 275 wheels with a 30mm Internal width and put on some Maxxis 2.8 Icons the bike transformed. It was fantastic blasted through all kinds of rock gardens. But (of course) I found that the rollover capability of the 29er was gone. I was getting to the top or near the top of many objects and really had to push to get the 275's to go that extra 1" or 2" to clear the object. Traction was up, the lower air pressure made for a super smooth ride and the wheels were better too. All in all I found it more FUN but slower. I am back on the 29ers but still have the 27's if I want to go that way for a day
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27+ for my Jet 9-1.jpg  

27+ for my Jet 9-4.jpg  

I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Wow Dave!
    Those wheels look bad as... thanks for posting

This seems to be settled. Jet/Rip 29" with +27.5 "hot-swap" set up is money well spent for most riders who enjoy XC with some trail and mild enduro thrown in (old dudes)

My next investment will be a light weight 29" wheel set, but the niner stock ones will do for now.

SPECIALizED
    My 2017 started with 27.5+. About 6 months in my wife won a set of Ibis 938s. They were boost so they wouldn't fit her V1 Ripley. I asked if I could "borrow" them and of course she said yes.
    I had some 2.2 Racing Ralphs laying around so I started with those. After realizing how much faster the 29" wheels were I started looking for better rubber. I went through a set of 2.35 Maxxis Forekasters and am now running 2.4WT Maxxis Rekons. Overall the Rekons are among the best tires I have ever ran.
    Now my dilemma. It's been several months since I've ran the plus wheelset and am seriously considering getting a lightweight set of 29" carbon wheels. I'm doing more long distance fast paced rides and would like to shed a few pounds off my Jet. I know I can easily get it down to 26lbs.I thought about getting a short travel XC but at 120mm rear 130mm front the Jet is about as short travel as I want to go.

P.S. I love the plus wheels when I run them and sorry for hijacking your thread.

mtbr member
    P.S. I love the plus wheels when I run them and sorry for hijacking your thread.[/QUOTE]

...any self respecting hijacker would include some images

mtbr member
    Don't forget, niner sells an extended lower headset cup to raise the BB a little. I bought one just to try on my rip but it still sits in the parts box.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

SPECIALizED
    ...any self respecting hijacker would include some images.

mtbr member
    oowww, yellow on black looks nice! I like the 'easy on the logos' look too.
    Thanks for sharing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Don't forget, niner sells an extended lower headset cup to raise the BB a little. I bought one just to try on my rip but it still sits in the parts box.
    I spoke to Niner about this a while back. The guy I was talking with did not reall try and talk me out of it but made the point that the reason most riders take the Jet to a + set-up is to ride in conditions that warrent more travel too. Five0 seems to think the 140mm travel works well with the 29 set-up as well so... For me it would be cool to have just to play around with the geometery

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I donít think you want to be switching the headset cup in and out to go between both wheels sets. 140mm air shaft is a better solution

Iím in the exact same situation UPSed is in. (Hey brother be safe out in Ventura. That Sgt was a hero!). After a year of plus and recently switching to 29. I donít think Iíll go back to the plus. Yes they are awesome in really loose conditions and the smooth out the small bumps. But not the big bumps And Iíll take the rollover all day in the rocks.

My delimna is what to do with my plus wheels. Convert them to wider 29 rims and run 2.8 front and 2.6 rear? Or maybe to carbon hoops for racing. My problem is. The wheels are Stans Neo hubs. I just blew my hub on my brand new Arch wheels with about 60 miles on them. So not too anxious to build a new set of wheels with Stans hubs.

I plan to write a intensive one year review of the Jet comparing plus to 29 when I get time

g=9.764m/s2
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    What are the steps to install the extended lower headset cup? Who has used it and can speak to its benefits?

mtbr member

Picked up a set of DT Swiss 27.5+ wheel set and Maxxis Rekons 2.8. Been running on my 2019 Jet 9 RDO for few rides now. For now keeping stock 130mm travel, only a few pedal strikes. Loving the plowability with the setup, screw the lines just roll through. ItÔŅĹs slower than my 29er combo but a lot more fun for more tech rides.

g=9.764m/s2
    Looks awesome... consider the Slacker Puck to raise the front 15mm and help alleviate some pedal strikes! I put one on a Ď14 Stache rebuild just for S&G and donít even have chainring strikes... d;o)

mtbr member
    Nice set up. I put off the travel mod for a while but was sooo glad when it was done. It is crazy how much of a difference 10mm makes.

Those Maxxis look great!

mtbr member
    Update,
    In Florida for some work.
    I hit; Santos, Alafia, and Grapefruit trails. Really fun spots. Lots of fast single track with crazy dirt jump features. Florida riders like to jump! My Jet did well although I am really starting to notice the extra weight. Honestly, I would love this set-up with an RDO frame.
    I actually had a guy on a RIP RDO look at me all quizzical and say "I thought the Jet was an XC bike?" I was hitting everything he was! Nice guy...everyone here is amazing. I highly recommend riding Florida. Who da thunk it?