27.5 to 29 QUESTION- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    evilbanks
    Reputation: b_banks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    215

    27.5 to 29 QUESTION

    Hi all- I have a 2017 Jet 9 RDO with 27.5" wheels. I'd like to add a set of 29" wheels. Is it as simple as installing the same size rotors / cassette on the 29" wheels and putting them on the bike? Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks,
    BB

  2. #2
    SPECIALizED
    Reputation: UPSed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    479
    In a word yes. It's that simple. I made the switch a couple of years ago and I've only ran the 27.5 wheels a couple of times since.

  3. #3
    evilbanks
    Reputation: b_banks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    215
    Thanks man! Much appreciated!

  4. #4
    SPECIALizED
    Reputation: UPSed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by b_banks View Post
    Thanks man! Much appreciated!
    I should mention on the steepest climbs and especially switchbacks the front end tends to wander with the 29's. I went from 140mm to 130mm on the fork and it cured the problem.
    Last edited by UPSed; 04-16-2019 at 03:53 PM.

  5. #5
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,027
    You could also run a bit more fork sag to compensate, OR put in an Angleset to steepen the head agnle a little, both a re cheaper than a new fork and probably cheaper than changing travel on the fork (although for some forkx all that takes is a plastic spacer under the air spring piston head). {shrug}

  6. #6
    SPECIALizED
    Reputation: UPSed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    You could also run a bit more fork sag to compensate, OR put in an Angleset to steepen the head agnle a little, both a re cheaper than a new fork and probably cheaper than changing travel on the fork (although for some forkx all that takes is a plastic spacer under the air spring piston head). {shrug}
    The only reason I lowered mine was because if you get it as a 29er it comes with the 130mm fork. I don't plan on running the 27.5 + tires anymore.

  7. #7
    evilbanks
    Reputation: b_banks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    215
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm running a 140 pike and will look into the angleset you speak of. I appreciate the insight.

  8. #8
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,027
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSed View Post
    The only reason I lowered mine was because if you get it as a 29er it comes with the 130mm fork. I don't plan on running the 27.5 + tires anymore.
    I respect these choices, I went a different direction with my RIP9RDO though. I got mine with the 27.5 wheels so I could try that out (previous FS was 29er) and since mine was 1st run it came with a 170mm Lyrik fork. If I wanted a light "long legged" trail bike that's probably the wrong fork but for me the "somewhat overbuilt so it lasts long and takes everything I throw at it in stride" was my choice. Bike will be 3 years old this Sept and I love it. When running 29er wheels (which I do most of the time) I run the fork 30-35% sag, and with 27.5 I back off to like 25-30. Just my personal choice.

  9. #9
    SPECIALizED
    Reputation: UPSed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I respect these choices, I went a different direction with my RIP9RDO though. I got mine with the 27.5 wheels so I could try that out (previous FS was 29er) and since mine was 1st run it came with a 170mm Lyrik fork. If I wanted a light "long legged" trail bike that's probably the wrong fork but for me the "somewhat overbuilt so it lasts long and takes everything I throw at it in stride" was my choice. Bike will be 3 years old this Sept and I love it. When running 29er wheels (which I do most of the time) I run the fork 30-35% sag, and with 27.5 I back off to like 25-30. Just my personal choice.
    I broke a couple of spokes on my 29's recently so I had to run my plus wheels (2.8◊27.5 Minion/DHR II combo) and they were a lot of fun. I've been running my 29's with XC tires as I'm doing longer rides but I've always wanted to try a bigger 29" tire. Well on a whim I ordered up a Minion and Aggressor combo in 29◊2.5XT flavor and wow! Talk about monster truck ability for a short travel bike! The Jet is such a versatile bike. I purchased mine in October almost 3 years ago and will keep it until it dies.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    261
    Ran my 27.5 plus for a year and really enjoyed the comfort but wanted the roll over of 29 wheels. I went with 29x2.6. Almost as plush as 2.8 but with the rollover of 29. I canít go any wider in the rear. But Iím debating going 29x2.8 front and 29x2.6 rear

  11. #11
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,027
    Which 29x.26?

    I've tried both Maxxis Rekon 29x2.6 and Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29x2.6 on my RIP9.

    If I need more depth on the knobs the Schwalbe are better.

    The Rekon work better for more hardpack, and urban greenway/gravel but ok on dirt.

    I had 27.5x2.8 Rekon on the bike in '16 when I went to Moab, taking 29x2.6 Rekon this year heading to Moab on Friday, see how it goes!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    261
    29x2.6 Rekon front and back on Arch wheels. Iím right at the edge of the envelope with the Arch wheels. Iím thinking of converting my Baron 27.5 to Flow 29 wheels. Use the Flows for trail riding with 2.6 maybe 2.8 front and use the Arch for XC and racing with 2.35

    The 2.6 Rekons work great in AZ with loose over hardpack. They did great in Moab last fall.

  13. #13
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,027
    My 27.5x2.8 are the stock Stan's Baron S1 rims; my 29 are Stan's Flow Mk3, all seems well sizing wise, FYI.

    I'd probably not but a 2.8 on the Flows but can see that some would.

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 04:02 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 07:10 PM
  3. BB7 rotor question (theory question)
    By TrailBound29er in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 01:37 PM
  4. iBis HD owners.. i have a question..(noob question)
    By superunknown222 in forum Ibis
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-07-2011, 09:59 PM
  5. Forest City Trails Question: Sandusky Question?
    By bycyclist in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.