2018 Jet9 RDO review- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

2018 Jet9 RDO review

I spent almost a year looking for a new bike. But I new from my the first time a saw a picture of the matte black new jet it was the bike I wanted. I owned a 2011 Air9. I had a affection for Niner. I grew up in Torrance Ca where they got their start. Plus I was looking for that do all one bike. I was coming off an older 6Ē 26er Reign and wasnít really riding the Air9 much out here in my rocky AZ trails.

I setted on a 120mm 29er that I could use as a trail bike for varied terrain. I live and ride all over AZ. Phnx, Sedona, Prescott and Flagstaff. I also travel to CA, UT and CO. I also wanted a bike that I could also do endurance races with. I quickly narrowed my search down to 3 bikes. The Jet. The 429T and Ripley. I didnít like the colors of the Pivot and at the time it only had 3 yr warranty. The Ripley. Just didnít appeal to me visually.

I didnít demo any of the bikes. Other the a parking lot ride of a Large Jet9. The reach of the Large fit but stand over was too high. Iím 5í10 with a 29Ē inseam

I ordered a medium hoping it would fit. I went back and forth on ordering plus or 29 wheels. In the end went with plus to make the bike more trail worthy. ( more on that later) with the intent of building a lighter set of 29 wheels to race with.

As soon as I got the bike the stand over felt great but the reach was a bit small. Even with the seat slammed all the way back I feel like I need about 20mm more. One of the reasons I went 27.5 plus was to get the 140mm fork. Only after delivery did I find out a new headset comes with the 2018 eliminating the need for a 140mm fork to raise the BB. I was a bit disappointed

My first ride on th bike was in Flagstaff. Immediately I felt the plus tires were overkill and I began regret my decession to go plus. But I told myself Flagstaff wasnít a fair local to judge plus tires

The following week I road here at home in Phnx in our loose gravel conditions. Plus was amazing. Felt like Velcro in the descents. 3 days later I went to Moab for 3 days. This would be the real test. I was worried the 130mm fork wouldnít be enough

We did three days of riding. 1. Soveriegn/ salt wash/ Gravitron. 2. Himasa / capt ahah and Deadmans. 3. TWE from Hazzard down

I knew the Jet wouldnít be the best Moab bike. I knew A bike like the Rip, Switchblade or Hightower would preform better. But the Jet preformed about as well as anticipated... almost.

A few take aways. While the plus did great in the sand. It was more of a hindrance in the rocks. More then once as I road into 3Ē ledges I expectedto just just roll over The bike just came to a stop. Sometimes violently throwing me into the bars. It was also at times hard to steer the big tires into cracks I wanted to use as lines.

Other then the issues with the plus tires getting hung up at times the bike climbed great. The new Eagle was awesome. Though I never needed to use the highest gears. I did feel the guide brakes became a little soft towards the end of my Moab trip but I was on them a lot. And that just might be the feel of SRAM brakes.

I really had to use the dropper on steep stuff with the the 130 fork. Droppers are new to me and weíre not yet instinctive But the biggest issue was pedal strikes. I had read about pedal strikes with the new geo bikes, but I had no idea. Pedal strikes had never been an issue with my other bikes and I figured they were just annoying They were more then just annoying. Often bringing you to a dead stop when trying to clear an obstacle. I also found the steering slow in tight tech situations

I wouldnít take the bike back to Moab with out the 140mm air shaft modification. Hopefully that will resolve the pedal strikes and slack the bike out more for steep riding

Over all I enjoyed the bike. Like I said before. I knew it wouldnít be the best Moab bike. But I never felt I was too under biked.

I do feel it is a bike you could ride TWE one weekend. They go ride Leadville the next. And boy is she sexy.

mtbr member

2018 Jet9 RDO review

No pics?

I have the sram level brakes that were specíd with centerline 180/160 rotors. They felt like pure crap. I put icetech 203/180 rotors on, and now they feel great. Maybe try little things like that before you condemn the sram brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I know the Srams are supposed to have great ďmodulation ď. And maybe they do. I tend to like my brakes to grab right away.

Chilling out
    It's an interesting experience compare, your Moab vs mine (year ago), when my RIP9 was still stock with 27.5+ setup, I had nil issues but then there's a bunch of differences - some subtle (some small changes in some geometry) and some not so subtle (30mm suspension travel difference F&R) between the bikes - and it's probably not fair to compare.

But I still clearly remember my first experience in Moab on a 26" hard-tail with 50mm fork. Never going back to that place. Was a great trip, but I had joints in pain for weeks after.

I do want to think that your bike setup could be tuned a bit better to make the Moab type stuff you were having problems with better, but I don't think I have much to offer over the internet. Seems like an in person kind of session.

I do worry from your comment about sizing though that the bike is small for you. There's no easy or cheap fix for that though. I went mad when shopping for mine to try to get the sizing figured out and based my decision on the reach/stack/stem-length numbers and comparison with previous and other bikes I have ridden, and lucked out with a great fit. People have been telling me for years that I ride an over-large MTB and I keep not having problems so I don't listen to that under-sized advice.

Sorry it's not working out better though, that's frustrating to say the least.

Your Best Friend
    Without looking at you on the bike, I'll go ahead and agree that the bike is probably too small for you.

If you plan to do endurance races then you need the 29er wheeleset. You won't give up much, if anything, to the plus wheels and you'll gain many advantages. The biggest will be better rollover.

You also need the 29er wheelset for fewer pedal strikes.

A 130/120 bike is fine for Moab, if you ride it well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    While the bike is a little small in reach. A Large just wasnít an option with my short legs. Stand over just wasnít happening .

I plan to add a longer stem for longer rides and endurance events.

And I do agree 130mm is plenty travel. For my riding style. ( thatís code talk for ĎI suckí ). I would prefer 140mm for a little more forgiveness.

I really like the bike. And donít think any of the other 120mm 29ers would have any better.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    And I do agree 130mm is plenty travel. For my riding style. ( thatís code talk for ĎI suckí ). I would prefer 140mm for a little more forgiveness.
    Potentially there's two relatively low cost ways to tune the front end, some forks can be adjusted to have a bit more travel ... depends upon the model ... many of the Pike forks for example can have the air spring piston assembly replaced to lengthen or shorten the stroke (there are limits) ... and there are alternative headsets that you can get to slacken the head a bit. These things would make the front end more rough-handling and as long as kept to a reasonable level wouldn't probably affect things adversely.

Just spit-balling.

Someone else here went the the opposite way, took a new RIP9 and short stroked the shock and changed the head angle to make themselves a more twitchy bike; they wanted the shock/suspension/sturdiness factor of the RIP9 and some other geometry factors played apparently on wanting to start there vs JET9.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The FOX 34 requires a $45 air shaft swap to bump to 140mm

The 2018 came with a second headset cup. I assume it is used if you switch from plus to a 29 wheelset. Not sure what it does to the HA. I need to call Niner and inquire.

Chilling out
    The FOX 34 requires a $45 air shaft swap to bump to 140mm

The 2018 came with a second headset cup. I assume it is used if you switch from plus to a 29 wheelset. Not sure what it does to the HA. I need to call Niner and inquire.
    Sounds like they are doing what Pivot did with the Switchblade, use a thicker lower cup for 27.5 to offset the wheel size difference.

I would advise leaving it in place if you switch wheel size and or fork stroke and change it only if you feel it needs to be, after riding the new setup a while.

With my RIP they shipped 10mm longer stroke fork with 27.5, and I foimd it works great 29er too.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    fiveo: What stem length are you using currently?

My opinion is that the short stem length trend often swings too far and guys typically go shorter than necessary for good all around handling. I'm using a 60mm on a Wreckoning and a 70mm on my new RIP RDO (both with 800mm bars). I've tried 50mm stems on multiple bikes and I still haven't found one on which I prefer a stem that short. On a bike with the new Jet's geo I wouldn't be afraid of 80mm at all.

On the other hand, the revised fork offsets on bikes such as the new Transitions along with a long reach may change my opinion on this. I just feel the 51mm offset gets too twitchy/ floppy with short stems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Pretty sure the stem is 50mm. It never felt short when riding in Moab. But if I just cruise around the block i feel more comfortable if I rest the palms of my hands on the bars. If that makes sense

mtbr member
    I think you can go with a 60-70mm stem and solve your issue with little consequence.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Someone else here went the the opposite way, took a new RIP9 and short stroked the shock and changed the head angle to make themselves a more twitchy bike; they wanted the shock/suspension/sturdiness factor of the RIP9 and some other geometry factors played apparently on wanting to start there vs JET9.
    Interesting idea, as the JET9 and RIP9 aren't too different in terms of frame weight. I've seen 5.1lbs for the JET9 and 5.8lbs for the RIP9.

If I end up with a RIP9 I'll probably run my 150mm fork on it with 29er wheels and big volume but lightweight tires. Hopefully that doesn't drop the BB too badly. HTA would be around 68ļ.

If I got a RKT I'd probably go with a set of offset bushings and 130mm fork to bring the HTA to around...well 68ļ.

Difference in weight between RKT, JET, and RIP carbon models? 1.5lbs, maybe?
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    If I end up with a RIP9 I'll probably run my 150mm fork on it with 29er wheels and big volume but lightweight tires. Hopefully that doesn't drop the BB too badly. HTA would be around 68ļ.
    I run my fork with about 35% sag these days in 29er mode, that puts it about 110 static length (170mm Lyrik); a 150mm fork at 25% sag would be about 112mm static length; depending on the a2c of the 150mm fork in question that'd be pretty close height of the crown at sag. If I was serious about "running xc" i'd bring the shock psi up to get it's sag around 25% ... but I just love how the bike rides at 30 too much to change that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Coming off my Gaint Reign and this being my first time on a CVA suspension. The Jet rides a lot harsher. Iím running about 195 PSI to achieve 30% sag. Would adding a volume spacer allow me to lower the PSI and get a bit softer ride?

Chilling out
    Coming off my Gaint Reign and this being my first time on a CVA suspension. The Jet rides a lot harsher. Iím running about 195 PSI to achieve 30% sag. Would adding a volume spacer allow me to lower the PSI and get a bit softer ride?
    If you are bottoming out harshly then adding a volume spacer will increase the air spring progressiveness and mitigate that effect . Note that the psi needed will be different for 30% sag than before.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Awesome. Thanks Bear

mtbr member
    I run my RIP at 30-35% sag. Do you hit bottom regularly at 30%? If not try 35% and see how that goes. It's a trade off as my observation is that sag less than 30% gets too harsh but pedals very well and sag greater than 30% begins to feel smoother but pedaling begins to suffer as you get in the mid to upper 30's. I am around 32-33% as a compromise.

Additionally, I have found that air shocks warm up during a ride due to friction. I would set the shock at 32% before the ride. When I check it during a ride the pressure has often increased by 10+ psi. So...now my 32% sag is really around 25-27% sag on the trail. I have learned to set the psi on the low end to compensate for this pressure increase. I'm 5-10 psi below where I think I should be in order to achieve my desired sag during a ride.

Chilling out
    The shocks w/o reservoir (e.g. on the JET9) I have found to be more influenced by heat-up during a ride, but, it takes more than a short ride segment to hit it, in my experience.

Totally have to watch that in areas like Moab though, totally agree with TQ there, always over-sag fork and shock a bit when I'm there to compensate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Congrats on the bike! I dig mine 17 Jet 9 3 star build 29". We're pretty close to the same size...I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam. I chose the medium as well and I know what you mean about the crowding. I set my saddle level and pretty close to center on the rails, this gets me lined up pretty well with the pedal stroke (at least where I like it). The majority of my riding is cross country style loops, climbing and descending and for that the Medium fit me better than the Large. If I did more downhill stuff, less climbing I might prefer the Large but the Med was a better all rounder. After riding it for a couple months I felt like it was a bit crowded on some rides. Mostly going from descending to climbing. I swapped out the 50mm stem for a 70mm. This gave me a bit more reach and is a nice improvement for climbs IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think the 70mm stem is where Iím going. I will keep the 50 stem for my tech riding and go with a 70 for my XC rides

I bought the bike to basically have two bikes in one. Getfing my 29 wheels soon so Iíll be able to switch back and forth and transform the bike hopefully.

Side note. Just saw that the 18 3 star Jet made the 2018 Bible our Bikes list. Curious to see what they say about it

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So after my maiden voyage with the bike to Moab last Sept where I was not all that impressed with the bike, I made few changes. Had a ton of pedal strikes and didnít care for the steering

I uped the front travel from 130 to 140 (currently the plus tires). I did the fork mod bout 3 months ago But only have been reding tame XC trails all winter here in Phnx.

Yesterday I got a chance to head up to Sedona and ride double black HiLine I also finally got the courage to drop the tires sub 20 PSI. Totally changed the bike! No more pedal stikes Even in Sedona chunk. The the bike felt much more trail then XC.

I feel like I have the front end dailed. Now I need to focus on the rear. Itís still very stiff. Iíd like it to be more plush

Chilling out
    Sounds like things going the direction you want, glad to hear it.

Which rear shock is on your bike, the Monarch Debonair?

Hard to say about how to increase "plush" as I'm not sure which factor is more dominant in your case, positive spring PSI or damper tune.

Were I you I'd find a relatively short section of rough trail I could session and try the rear shock at different PSI, stepping across a range in 5 psi jumps, and see how things feel.

Depending upon the shock you COULD also take a couple volume adjustment bands and make trail-side adjustment of that (adding/removing) and repeat, to see where you get.

In general, for my taste, I find that the shock volume setup where I can run the least psi to get the sag I want (30% +/-), but only bottom out on truly harsh stuff (think 4' or larger hard/flat landing) is where my happy point is. This is how I setup my previous bike (Yeti SB95, 127mm rear travel, 150mm fork) and current bike ('07 RIP9RDO, 150mm rear travel on MonarchPlus Debonair, 170mm Lyrik fork) and it works for me.

On my Yeti I ended using the Can Creek air shocks (DBAir, then DBinline) and found the tuning time consuming but very handy effective in the end. I don't feel the need for that on my RIP9RDO as I'm happy with how the bike is riding on the stock shock ... not that I've been on the bike since Dec though, really need to fix *that* - weather/trail conditions have had me on my other bike. ;^(

Please take the appropriate grain of salt with this advice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I havent felt a hard bottom out hit yet. But I am blowing through all my travel in 2í drops, and would like to push father into at least 3 foot drops Maybe the Jet could take bigger then 3í to flat. Iím not sure where itís limit is 3í just my imaginary line in the sand.

I have considerered bands. Iím running Fox on both ends. 34 upfront and evol in the rear. I got one of the first 18 models that added the SRAM Eagle. But made the switch from Rockshox to Fox.

Iím about 225 lbs fully loaded. So I think the stick tune is prob for a lighter rider.

Chilling out
    From my understanding the "blowing through travel" is more a damper control vs link-leverage item more than a spring-rate item, and that's unfortunate because that's harder to tune.

Air shocks tend to be great at masking hard bottom out because of the progressive nature of the spring, the further compressed the more compression is resisted in a non-linear way.

You could add volume bands to increase the rate of progression on the shock, you'll end up with a higher PSI to get the same sag but the shock will ramp-up faster which in theory will allow you to ride higher in the shock travel and have more reserve for deeper hits.

For your riding weight you may need to get more shock specific tune advice though as I'm betting you're correct about the base tune rider weight target. That coupled with the "more XC than Trail" leaning of the JET vs the RIP also plays in, I feel but am not sure.

You may want to cross post about Float Evol tuning in the suspension forum. :^(

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That may explain why the end of my rides I have gone thru all my travel but have yet I feel and hard bottom up.

I agree I need to look into a custom tune or maybe Fox tech support do try and dail in rear shock

Of course another option would be to just get a Rip for my trail rides and let the Jet be a dedicated XC/ Endurance race bike

Chilling out
    I like your thinking (having a more moderate budget apparently though my "XC" bike is a Canfield Nimble 9).

But it's still worth having the JET shock setup as best as possible. ;^)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Trust me the Rio shock solution wonít get CFO apporoval.

Chilling out
    fiveo, this link's for you, how timely ...

FOX Factory Tuning custom program unvelied - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    That may explain why the end of my rides I have gone thru all my travel but have yet I feel and hard bottom up.

I agree I need to look into a custom tune or maybe Fox tech support do try and dail in rear shock

Of course another option would be to just get a Rip for my trail rides and let the Jet be a dedicated XC/ Endurance race bike
    I came off a 2014 Jet carbon, 120 SID/Fox Float. Bike was very fast and trail worthy but I had some of the same opinions as you on your newer Jet, felt like the ride would be perfect with better rear suspension. I tried different settings but never got that Goldilocks moment.

Fastforward to last month, demoed a 2017 Rip. Holy crap! Just what I was looking for in a ride. Never thought I would run a 170mm/150mm bike but it pedaled as well as my old Jet(hammering flat single track and uphill was best pedaling bike I've ridden) and rode thru chunk/chatter so much better. Rode much lighter and faster than it seemed it should on paper. So impressed I bought one, coming in couple days.

Hate to say it but you might be happier on a Rip!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Hey guys. Sorry I havenít responded. I got locked out of my account had to reregister.

Yes I agree the Rip would be a much better trail bike. The only reason I went with the Jet was my intention to start endurance racing. Two days ago I had the Jet on local trails that are very XC. And the Jet handles them with aplomb. And that is with plus tires. I can only imagine how well the bike does with a good set of carbon 29 wheels

In a perfect world with money no object I would own a RKT and Rip. For now the Jet is a happy medium between the two. Next month I hope to have my carbon 29 wheels.

While itís not a perfect trail bike nor a perfect endurance bike. I feel like it handles both pretty well. And Iím hoping with a custom shock tune. It will be even better
    Last edited by Five0; 03-26-2018 at 06:03 AM.

mtbr member
    If you are looking for carbon wheels you might want to check this out, guy is in Georgia USA and has great prices and options on wheel sets with all ID. I'm getting 29 with DT Swiss hubs/Pillar spokes, wider rim for front as I usually run wider tire up front. Guy has excellent reviews and very good prices. He was easy to reach and got back to me via text. Payment protection with PayPal.

https://www.facebook.com/diycarbonbi...516419/?type=3

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Had the Jet back out in Sedona today. Rode HiLine trail. Double Black diamond. The Rip would ne much more at home on this trail, but the Jet holds it own. I ride all but one obstacle on the trail. If your familair with the trail in half way down. With the STEEP roll down with a hard right at the bottom.

I tired some suspension tweaks to try an solve my problem of blowing through all my travel. I added PSI to both my fork and shock.

No go! Turned the bike into a pogo stick. Bounced the whole way down the trail. My concern about using all my travel is I havent started doing very big drops yet. I like to started doing 3í to 4í drops. But with blowing throw all my travel, Iím concerned about big hits.

Edit. Wonder if maybe I had too much PSI in the plus tires. I have read that a couple PSI can make a big difference. Something was way off
    Last edited by Five0; 03-30-2018 at 07:18 PM.

mtbr member
    PSI can make huge difference - I'm running 27.5+ on my new Rip, reckons, and still don't have it dialed after a few rides. Started 20psi front/25 rear felt fast on smooth hardpack but too much air pressure for the technical parts. I'm around 190 riding weight and got 18psi front/20 rear. Almost there. No long fast downhill or rock gardens but gnarly roots and 3-4' drops. Gonna drop it some next ride. Haven't felt the rims or squirm yet.

If I was riding fast downhill stuff I would err on the higher pressure but most of my riding is under 15mph. These plus tires seem firmer at lower psi than my previous 29's, both Maxxis and Schwalbe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iím starting wonder if adding a larger volume spacer to my rear shock might help with blowing thru my travel.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Iím starting wonder if adding a larger volume spacer to my rear shock might help with blowing thru my travel.
    re: just adding psi and getting a pogo stick

I've found you sometimes need to adjust the rebound damping when increasing PSI, my observation being what you found that things will rebound faster with firmer springs. So, increasing the rebound damping so that it further slows the extension of the fork/shock mitigate that. It's a complex system, you can't change one parameter too much without needing to adjust others.

re: adding spacer to reduce bottom out / too much travel use

volume spacers are more about handling bottom-out, specifically they change the progression of the air spring as the shock compresses, so that the shock more-quickly will resist further compression more strongly. I do not thing they alone help much in "mid stroke support" which is what you're trying to figure out ... having a good ride feel and normally not sitting too low in the travel.

Currently what is your static sag % front and rear?

On my RIP I target about 30%, I have had to significantly adjust PSI (down) since I've lost a bunch of body weight since last Sept, I've also had to tune the rebound damping at the same time.

Re: Boing-ee plus tires

Oh yeah, 2.8 and larger tires IMO if they're 3 psi off they're wrong, and 3 psi too much can feel VERY bouncy. Seems to be a fine line though, and the 2.6 wide tend that way too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Had the Jet our again for another XC ride on a new 20 mile out and back by me yesterday. Iím amazed at how much longer and farther I can ride on this bike over my old Reign. I almost double my mileage.

Locked out the suspension for the first time as the first 7 miles of the trail is pretty buff I was amazed at how well the plus tires soak up the small stuff. I now see how the HT guys like plus so much

Increased h PSI in both shock and fork. Used less travel this time. I think I can go even a hughe for XC rides.

I think Iím slowly coming to the realization that the Jet is no magic carpet, easy chair ride. It leans more pedal performance then a plush ride.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I've owned my Jet RDO for just over a year now and running plus wheels. I agree the rear is though getting perfect. I live in Utah and also find myself pushing the envelope on drops and jumps. I check my travel after each ride and think I usually use all of it.

However it feels buttery smooth through everything else I throw at it including high speed chunk found all over around here. I'm 180 geared up and run 11/12 psi, which seems much lower then the rest of you(not a single rim strike yet). After demoing many high end long travel 29ers I realized they actually rode a lot rougher then my Jet Plus. The only advantages I found was the endless travel feeling on bigger drops and they rolled a touch faster.

After leaving I've decided to try 29x2.6 wheel/tire combo to get the best of both worlds..... high volume low psi chunk compliance and traction with better rollover and less rolling resistance. First ride felt very fast on smooth single track, I still need to hit some gnarlier stuff before being all in. If I had to guess I'll be selling my ENVE M60 Forty Plus in the near future. If I feel like I'm getting beat up I may transfer my bits onto a RIP, or try the new RIPMO. But I really want to give the Jet a fair go, no need to carry around extra weight and travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    JP,

Thank you for that excellent feed back. So I should clarify that I have never felt a hard bottom out I just notice ty after a hard ride in Sedona condition I go thru all my travel. And thats without any big drops

What size drop are you hitting with the Jet?

A Rip or RipMo would be perfect for my Sedona days and trips to Moab and St George. But the Jet really is a do almost anything bike.

I really want to get the rear dialed in for a trip to Fruita in two weeks.

mtbr member
    2018 Jet9 RDO review-763e11f4-b79f-4a18-bcfa-cd9843914f57.jpg2018 Jet9 RDO review-b6f91d67-2ca2-4cfe-a51a-30b72a6b7434.jpg5.0,
    Iím in the exact same boat. I live in Northern Utah, but ride Moab, St. George, Fruita a lot. I regularly drop from 3í to flat with out any harsh bottom out, just use all the travel. I know the 3Ē tireís helped. Iím hoping 29x2.6 offers the same and some!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks for the pic. Now I know what my bike will look like draped in 29.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So I may have figured out my blowing through my travel problem, is really a problem of having my sag set up wrong

Til now I have just been eye balling my sag. Yesterday I decided to measure the shock shaft. The shaft of shock measured 50mm. So if my math is correct 30% sag should be at 35mm. Which is much less then I had it set by eye balling it. I think I was over 40% sag.

We will see

mtbr member
    The recommended sag should be listed on the bottom of the frame. If it is fox you should be measuring between 11 and 13 mm from top seal to ring sag indicator

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    11 to 13 mm to get 30% sag?

mtbr member
    The frame tag states 11mm for 25% which makes 13mm 30%.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Wow. I was way off then. Thanks for the info!

Where is this frame tag?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Heading out to Grand Juntion week I think I have the bike set up better for this trip then I did when I went to Moab last fall.

This trip I have the 140mm fork. Which has got me thinking What about a 150mm fork?

Chilling out
    Hmm. Can't see you'd complain a LOT about that extra 10mm. Depends more on when you'd leverage that extra travel.

Maybe just have a bit more sag for those environments where it made the front end too tall (sort of like how I set my 170mm Lyrik on my RIP9).

If you did that you'd want to be aware of the small but potentially significant change to the rider "cockpit" - slacker seat and head tube; potential desire for a change of handlebar stem or setup (flip it to reverse-rise or reduce spacers under stem to headset; maybe slightly longer stem; maybe rotate handlebars forward a little; maybe tune seat angle a little or move it forwards on the rails if you have space to do that).

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just got back from Fruita and GJ. The 140mm upgrade was a huge improvement. Had almost zero pedal strikes

I reset the entire suspension back to fa factory settings. On the first ride half way down the Horsethief drop in. I hit he first big drop and bam, right over the bars. Fork pogoĒd. At the bottom I lowered the sag and slowed down the rebound 3 clicks. From there on out the suspension seemed pretty dialed. Hit several 3-4Ē drops with no bottoming out.

After two days of back diamond trails. I still think the bike would be better in 29 mode with 2.5 or 2.6 tires. I donít like the uncontrollable rebound effect of the plus tires On the rocks I donít need the extra traction Iíd prefer the roll over if he bigger wheels.

mtbr member
    I ran mine 140 plus all last year. I have a handful of rides on 29x2.5 and already sold the plus wheels. Itís taken some adjustments, but feel like it improved all my riding except long sustained smooth climbs. Iím sure if I was running less aggressive tires it would be even faster then the plus setup in that category too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have been eying the YT Capra 29 Aluminum 180mm bike as a second bike for my South Mtn, Sedona days and trips to Utah At 2400.00 Itís a smoking deal. That way I could dedicate the Jet as an light trail/ endurance bike.

I have also come to the realization I should have went with the Large frame and sucked up the uncomfortable stand over. I really feel the short reach once the bike is pointed down hill.

Iím wondering if I could compensate for lack of 20mm in reach by swapping 780mm bars to 800mm and a 50mm stem to a 60mm

mtbr member
    That would be sweet to have two options to choose from. I canít justify it, plus I donít like maintaining storing more bikes then needed, I have issues! I still feel like I have to pedal in the places you mention and would probably stay in the 150mm range.

Iím not a great rider and have taken mine all over Southern Ut. I remember you mentioning you went over the bars recently. I would definitely go with a longer stem and add some height through spacers or riser bars. Or grab a discounted large RIP9!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The discounted Rip was plan A. Looks like no more aluminum Rip for 2018. So maybe closeout at Jenson. Canít justify a second 4 star bike.

Chilling out
    Iím wondering if I could compensate for lack of 20mm in reach by swapping 780mm bars to 800mm and a 50mm stem to a 60mm
    Buying the cheapest you can get is a low pain way to try, should be under 100$ total to try, potentially a long way under, particularly if you can convince your LBS (or a friend) to just loan you some part to try the combo out first instead of buying..

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That exactly what I priced it at. About 60 for bars and 40 for a stem

I was thinking 800mm/60mm combo for AM rides and a 70mm stem for endurance races

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Anyone have a suggestion for a do all 29 wheelset? I was looking at SC Reserve wheels. But decided against 1600+ for wheels. I could pick up a YT Capra 160mm bike for 2300 to complement the JET Been looking at the Stans MK3s Just don't now if the would be too heavy for long endurance races.

mtbr member
    A lot of riders are rocking Stanís Flow 29IW. I went with Raceface Next R 30IW since my LBS had them discounted. Love them so far!

But I agree itís hard to justify a wheelset when a complete bike coast marginally more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Any thoughts on swapping in a Fox DPSX2 on the Jet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    So I finally got a set of 29 wheels. When I got the bike a year ago the plan was to run plus for trail riding and 29 for XC.

After year with plus and vasolating about going carbon for 29 wheels, I decided to just go with a pair of Stans Arch.

I went with a Rekon 2.6 tires hoping to get as close to plus as possible. I really liked the comfort of the plus set up. But didnít care for the them all that much in tech rocks I didnít like the undampered rebound.

Havenít ridden on them yet. Iíll be back out in Moab in a few weeks and that will be the real test. Iím excited for the increased roll over.

I have read the Jet really is a better bike in 29 mode. Canít wait to find out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Got my first ride in the 29 wheels. Now I know what guys meant when they say the bike feels totally different between 27.5+ and 29 wheels. The bike instantly felt more like an XC bike Lighter, quicker and sportier. I immediately felt that bike was more at home with 29 wheels.

It handled better and carried more speed. I also felt more in the bike with the dropper down.

I did miss the the plush magic carpet ride of the plus tires. I was on Rekon 2.6 that are more like 2.5 in the Arch rims.

Iím debating on keeping the 27.5+ wheelset. Or relacing the hubs to wider 29 rims and going 29 2.8 front and 2.6 rear.

mtbr member
    I sold my plus wheels about a week after getting my 29 set. I have demo'd everything available that fits me and still haven't found a better ride. I sold my Jet RDO this week and shopping for a new ride, was thinking something longer and steeper STA. The 120mm is more plush then anything else I've tried including the new long travel bikes out there. I rode the Sentinel today which felt great, but sluggish in comparison. The frame fit better, but 32lbs carbon bike with ENVE's is crazy to me. The new Offering has my attention, but this I won't be happy unless I get another Niner. I may pick up a discounted RIP frame or wait for Niners next new release.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iím torn between upgrades to the Jet. New rear shock Converting plus wheels to wide 29 wheels. Or saving up for a used Rip.

mtbr member
    I was in the same boat. Iím gonna give the RIP9 a go, if I end up missing the Jet Iíll unload the RIP and just buy a discounted Jet next fall.