2018 Jet9 RDO dropper- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

2018 Jet9 RDO dropper

I need to replace my 125mm ks. How big of dropper can I use? Can I run a 150mm?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Depends on your frame size and how you fit the bike.

My size medium Jet easily fits a 150mm PNW Bachelor. Iím about 5í11Ē, 32Ē inseam. 170mm would not fit for me. With the dropper pushed in as far as I could get it, bend in seat tube stops it, my saddle height was too high.

Chilling out
    You need to know how deep a post you can put into the frame, sure, but not all droppers have the same insertion depth for the same drop capability. Brands differ.

So figure out how deep you can go (use/borrow a simple non-dropper post to be sure) and then do a little research to see if a 150 or 175 dropper could fit. Check different brands.

FWIW, I have a 2017 RIP9RDO, which came with a 125 drop Kind Shock LEV. I eventually replaced it with a 150 drop Kind Shock LEV DX when the original wore out, no problem. It MAY be possible to fit in a 175 LEV DX. I'll need another 20-30 mm insertion, I just haven't checked (nor do I really need it, and it'd be a frivolous expense at this point).

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I did a OneUp one fiddy in my 2017 Jet9. I went internal. It was a PITA to install, as the 2017s didnít have the cable routing guides, but Iím super happy with the result.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    I did a OneUp one fiddy in my 2017 Jet9. I went internal. It was a PITA to install, as the 2017s didnít have the cable routing guides, but Iím super happy with the result.
    I split the difference on the internal post concept on mine.

I hate the moving cable when it's fixed at the top but am wary of the fully internal connection, so went with the KS LEV DX a few years ago.

Has the cable junction fixed in place at the collar.

I ran the cable from the lever internally along with the rear-d cable, then popped it out and up through the upper link. Has worked out well, cleaned up the routing, and is super easy to maintain.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    If you are going internal, Iíd probably get this if you donít have the internal routing guides.

https://www.parktool.com/product/int...ing-kit-ir-1-2

Of course, Iím always looking for an excuse to buy more Park Tools. 😎 I kinda made my own version by fishing the dropper cable from the seat tube and down around the bb to the hole in the down tube. I used a spare derailleur cable fished from the down tube grommet hole to the opening at the bottom of the down tube. I joined the two with a small screw with the head cut off at the hole at the bottom of the down tube and then fished the cable back up thru the grommet hole at the top.

Bearís solution is a good one too. Having the connection at the collar instead of the the top of the post cleans up the routing a lot vs the KS dropzone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I went with a PNW Rainer 3 150mm. It has 30mm of adjustment. Iíll let you guys know how it works out. Plan n using the original KS cable and lever. So hopefully itís just drop in and some minor adjustments

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    I went with a PNW Rainer 3 150mm. It has 30mm of adjustment. Iíll let you guys know how it works out. Plan n using the original KS cable and lever. So hopefully itís just drop in and some minor adjustments

If you end up replacing the cable down the line, the Shimano Optislik cables are great. Super slippery!