2017 (orange) RIP RDO, anyone on 2.6 x 27.5 tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2017 (orange) RIP RDO, anyone on 2.6 x 27.5 tires?

For gets and shiggles I tried my 27.5 wheels with 2.8 tires on my rip a few weeks ago. After 2 rides I'm sold on the smaller wheels for more "fun" rides. I'm shopping wheels and I'm kind of at a cross roads. I really like the 2.8 on my other bike (SC chameleon) but they seem bit porky for the rip. I am using a set of Ibis 742 wheels with an internal width of 35mm and also running cushcore inserts. This set of wheels will stay on the chameleon as I feel they suit it really well.

I'd love to try some 2.6x 27.5 tires on my RIP but I'm afraid even with the offset headset cup the BB will be too low. With the taller cup and the 2.8 tires it was almost the same as my normal 29x2.35 tires. I'm a fan of the stans wheels for their customer service. I'm looking at the baron wheels.

But any how, has anyone gone as small as a 2.6 x 27.5 on the previous RIP? (orange, or cammo color versions)
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Chilling out
    I'll be curious to see if anyone chimes in, however, I wouldn't hesitate to put 2.8" tires on the bike. I ride mainly 29er setup but I bought the bike with 27.5, and have 2.8" Rekon tires on those rims. Yes the BB is lower (~10mm?) and there are some pedal strikes but not so intolerable as some people would think. Ridden that way in NE PA, VA, NC, and UT. More an issue in NE US stuff or chunky UT, but more open trail just isn't a factor IMO. FWIW, I do not change the headset or anything when I do the swap, I MAY add 5-8 PSI more air to my fork (170mm Lyrik) but don't, mostly.

I DID do something some people may think crazy though, this year. I ended up with extended downtime on my RIP waiting for a warranty repl triangle and ended up doing a big refresh on it altogether ... rebuilding suspension, brake bleed and new pads, rebuild dropper, rebuild the 29er wheels with carbon hoops, replace the salt corroded handlebar with carbon, aaaaand a whole drivetrain refresh including swapping in a 165mm Atlas crank (along with 30t ring and 9x46t cassette).

I run a 172.5 crank on my road bike and questioned the default wisdom of 175mm everywhere so went for it. About 100 trail miles in at this point and I'm good with it ... ask me again after I attack WNC mountains (Pisgah, Tsali, etc.) though. ;^)

FYI, found the cranks on sale for <200 so not as crazy as one may think.

Back to the 27.5 wheels ... my stock wheelset was Stans Baron rims, with Neo hubs. Hated the rear hub. Now it has I9 Torch. Now it's a fine wheelset. I run the 2.8" Rekon tires at about 23 psi and they don't feel "bouncy" or "Fat bike like" to me. I may try 2.6 on them at some point but it's very low priority for me. They're not more playful to me than my 29er wheels, particularly now that they have LightBicycle Recon Pro carbon hoops. I formerly had Stans Flow Mk3 hoops and *those* were lighter than the Baron S1 rims. Still, if I were to go to a DH bike park I'd probably swap on the 27.5 wheels for the lower CG and volumnous rim protection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I'll be curious to see if anyone chimes in, however, I wouldn't hesitate to put 2.8" tires on the bike. I ride mainly 29er setup but I bought the bike with 27.5, and have 2.8" Rekon tires on those rims. Yes the BB is lower (~10mm?) and there are some pedal strikes but not so intolerable as some people would think. Ridden that way in NE PA, VA, NC, and UT. More an issue in NE US stuff or chunky UT, but more open trail just isn't a factor IMO. FWIW, I do not change the headset or anything when I do the swap, I MAY add 5-8 PSI more air to my fork (170mm Lyrik) but don't, mostly.

I DID do something some people may think crazy though, this year. I ended up with extended downtime on my RIP waiting for a warranty repl triangle and ended up doing a big refresh on it altogether ... rebuilding suspension, brake bleed and new pads, rebuild dropper, rebuild the 29er wheels with carbon hoops, replace the salt corroded handlebar with carbon, aaaaand a whole drivetrain refresh including swapping in a 165mm Atlas crank (along with 30t ring and 9x46t cassette).

I run a 172.5 crank on my road bike and questioned the default wisdom of 175mm everywhere so went for it. About 100 trail miles in at this point and I'm good with it ... ask me again after I attack WNC mountains (Pisgah, Tsali, etc.) though. ;^)

FYI, found the cranks on sale for <200 so not as crazy as one may think.

Back to the 27.5 wheels ... my stock wheelset was Stans Baron rims, with Neo hubs. Hated the rear hub. Now it has I9 Torch. Now it's a fine wheelset. I run the 2.8" Rekon tires at about 23 psi and they don't feel "bouncy" or "Fat bike like" to me. I may try 2.6 on them at some point but it's very low priority for me. They're not more playful to me than my 29er wheels, particularly now that they have LightBicycle Recon Pro carbon hoops. I formerly had Stans Flow Mk3 hoops and *those* were lighter than the Baron S1 rims. Still, if I were to go to a DH bike park I'd probably swap on the 27.5 wheels for the lower CG and volumnous rim protection.
    If you haven't tried the smaller wheels *with* the taller headset cup it makes a big difference.

I tried 170 cranks years ago with my OG jet and while it did keep my toes out of the rocks here in WV they are just to short for my short legs (28" inseam) and caused lower back issues.

Also the cushcore inserts added so much more use-abalitly (word?) to the 2.8 tires. They where good before on my hardtail but after it made the bike feel like it had 80mm of suspension travel in the rear.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    I tried 170 cranks years ago with my OG jet and while it did keep my toes out of the rocks here in WV they are just to short for my short legs (28" inseam) and caused lower back issues.
    I'm a little surprised I haven't had any issues with the 165mm cranks, my inseam is 32", but so far so good. I do tend to do a fair amount of standing climbing these days though and that changes the muscle groups big time.

I also spent some time with a trainer over the last couple years (not this last year) and we worked a lot on my core and glute/quad strength and flexibility, that made a big difference.